Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod Smith Unhappy With QB Move?

Hmmmm...

I was reading this on the website (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...4&storyID=6309) and it sounds to me like Rod Smith isn't really thrilled with the QB change. I mean, there's nothing in here that disparages Cutler or anything, but it sounds like Smith would prefer Jake still be under center. Some of this might be normal; it's always tough to change what we've grown comfortable with. I just hope everybody in the locker room is generally behind Jay and that this won't disrupt the locker room chemistry or anything. It is nice to know that Plummer is being awesome about all of this (though I expected nothing less from a guy that classy).

Anyway, here's what Smith said:

"It's tough," Rod Smith said. "Hell, it's tough for me to watch him taking snaps at scout team. It's hard for me to watch that, because I know what kind of competitor he is, and at the same time, he's there for Jay, helping him through his reads and little things like that. He's not showing any bitterness towards his teammates or anything like that towards the situation.

"It is what it is. He doesn't have control over it; he understands that, and at the same time, as a competitor that Jake is, he's a highly competitive guy, and he wants to be up under center, and he feels he deserves that, and at the same time right now, that's not the case, but you never know.

"As a team, we just have to go with who's there. If I'm not in the game, we still have to play. There's always going to be 11 out there, and for us as players, we don't get the opportunity to decide which 11 we want, so we just have to move forward and keep going, but I think he's really done an excellent job of handling the situation and just kind of dealing with it, because it's got to be a real tough situation."

Thoughts from others?

no, i dont think he's unhappy with it. he's a team player, and he'll support shannahan and cutler. like most of us, rod and the rest of the team, are probably anxious to see how he performs at game time
    YO GUYS SEND ME A FRIEND REQUEST ON XBOX LIVE AND SAY YOU'RE FROM THE BOARD!!!!

Comment

Rod is only talking about how well Jake is taking it...

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
      - Carl Sagan

Comment

That was my initial response too, and I know that Rod will be supportive of whoever it is, but this statement was the one that got me wondering:

"There's always going to be 11 out there, and for us as players, we don't get the opportunity to decide which 11 we want, so we just have to move forward and keep going"

That could be read two ways; I just hope that in explaining how great Jake has been about this he's not also revealing that he might choose a different 11 players than Shanny.

Comment

Rod has been supportive of Jake all season. He's defended Jake all season so I don't think he's mad, I think he's just standing behind him like any good teammate.

Comment

I think he is disappointed with the season in itself. He also knows pretty much that Jake will no longer be a Bronco at the end of the year and most likely won't be on the field again, under center, looking for him.

Also, he may just be disappointed that it could be his last year and the team is changing and maybe he didn't see his career coming to a closure like this, this sort of turn in this season afteer a really good start. I think he had visions of returning to the AFC CHAMP game agian, with Jake by his side, for one more SB run. His NFL clock is ticking.

But who really knows but Rod.

Comment

I think he just feels bad for Jake, as a friend. It doesn't mean he opposes the change, although he might. But he doesn't sound rebellious in any fashion, just expressing his sympathy for a tough competitor who has been having equally tough times of late.
              "You can't take the sky from me..."
              ------
              "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

he's a pro

That's what I would have expected a pro like Rod Smith would say. He's another classy guy. Ofcourse he and his team would at least be a little apprehensive of the changes. And sad too, after all, he and Jake have been teammates for a long time now and though I haven't read any details about their relationship, I expect that Plummer is popular with them. He'll play the same way he's been playing the past 10 yrs or so. All out.

Comment

I will probably get flamed for saying this, but.....

First off, I love Rod Smith. He is a leader of this offense, and was huge part of our team for a long time. I think for the most part Rod is sticking up for Jake bc they are friends and he respects Jake. And now for the next part....

Does anyone think his own situation is coloring the way he looks at how Jake is being treated. Their situations are somewhat similar. They are both older vets with their best days behind them, whose careers as starters are winding down. I know their are alot of differences, but their are important similarities. Rod may be thinking, if Jake can be benched, could I be next? Rod has def had trouble this year, and maybe he realizes that next yr his starting job will be on the line. If we get eliminated from the playoffs, Shanny may start Marshall just to see more of what the kid can do. Maybe he feels like his time is running out, and he doesnt like to see Jake treated badly, and being thrown under the bus, because he could be benched next.
                  I know this is purely speculation on my part, and before I get 100 posts saying I hae no idea what Rod is thinking, its just my OPINION. And one that I think may be partly inolved in why he stuck by Jake so long (again PARTLY, as I am sure his friendship and respect for Jake was also involved)

*ydave checks to see if he has covered all his bases, but puts on his firejacket just in case*

Comment

"For a highly touted guy coming out of college with a ton of skills, the guy can frickin' play football," Smith said. "And I can't wait to see him do it in live games."

Smith, and everyone who observes the NFL, will get that chance beginning Sunday night when the Broncos play the Seattle Seahawks in a battle of 7-4 teams.

And it wasn't as if Smith was knocking Plummer, who officially was benched Monday. On the contrary, the team's all-time leading receiver always has been one of the veteran quarterback's biggest public supporters, even after the loss against the Kansas City Chiefs on Thursday, when rumors of the pending shift behind center were running rampant.

It's just Smith, who has played with John Elway, Brian Griese and Plummer, is a football fan first, and he sees in Cutler a player who possesses special, physical qualities.

"Shoot, yeah. That part's an understatement," Smith said. "And I think the best part of his game is his mind. He's got a calm about him that I really, really like. As a quarterback, with all the chaos going on around you, I think the calm about him is pretty rare. To see a guy who plays this position at this level and can kind of keep his head, I think, is kind of special."

Smith wasn't sure when Cutler would get his chance, whether it would come sometime this season or before or during next season, but he made a prediction for the moment Cutler was deemed ready to take over.

"I think he's just going to hit the ground running," Smith said. "And a lot of people are going to be like, 'They should have did this a long time ago.' "
                    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...177391,00.html

Comment

good find and thanks for sharing.

But I think Rod is being very careful what he is saying right now to the media. Everything that is said is very neutral. He has been playing with Jake for 4 years now, he's friends with jake. They've been battling together, they've been practicing together, and have suffered through some pretty bad playoff defeats together. So I'm sure he' just feeling bad for jake, and responding to the tough questions by the media about it without trying to sound like " hey, we have to move on." He doesn't want to sound callus, and he doesn't want to sound bitter. Maybe he's not excited about the change. Perhaps he knows that he has been struggling as well as Jake, and sees himself in jake's shoes... practicing on the other field.

Comment

Originally posted by ydave77
                        I will probably get flamed for saying this, but.....

First off, I love Rod Smith. He is a leader of this offense, and was huge part of our team for a long time. I think for the most part Rod is sticking up for Jake bc they are friends and he respects Jake. And now for the next part....

Does anyone think his own situation is coloring the way he looks at how Jake is being treated. Their situations are somewhat similar. They are both older vets with their best days behind them, whose careers as starters are winding down. I know their are alot of differences, but their are important similarities. Rod may be thinking, if Jake can be benched, could I be next? Rod has def had trouble this year, and maybe he realizes that next yr his starting job will be on the line. If we get eliminated from the playoffs, Shanny may start Marshall just to see more of what the kid can do. Maybe he feels like his time is running out, and he doesnt like to see Jake treated badly, and being thrown under the bus, because he could be benched next.
                        I know this is purely speculation on my part, and before I get 100 posts saying I hae no idea what Rod is thinking, its just my OPINION. And one that I think may be partly inolved in why he stuck by Jake so long (again PARTLY, as I am sure his friendship and respect for Jake was also involved)

*ydave checks to see if he has covered all his bases, but puts on his firejacket just in case*
                        You make a good point.

But I will say that I've heard Rod say, on numerous occasions, that he never takes his starting job for granted and plays every game as if the coaches might replace him. I really feel like he has sympathy for Jake but probably understands the thinking behind the switch.

But that's just speculation on MY part.
                        "You can't take the sky from me..."
                        ------
                        "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

WHooo Hooo.. now THAT is a great read too!!
                          \

Comment

Class

I think in this whole thing JP has shown alot of class. You know it has to be killing him inside that he's been benched. Behind closed doors who knows how he has reacted, but regardless that is his business. What he has shown publicly deserves respect from every Bronco fan. Let's just try to imagine if that were TO or Randy Moss who'd been benched. Jake is a good QB, but in this he's shown he's a true professional athlete. Hats off to Jake for all he has done for this team and all he is doing now. This might sound crazy but imagine how all these players coming from the scout team will improve by having him with them practicing now. He may not bring the talent of say a Tom Brady or the brains of a Peyton Manning to the scout team, but he does bring 10 yrs worth of experience to them which will greatly improve all of them. My wish is that all this would end and all of us in here would move on with the team and quit all this "Jay is gonna fail" or "Good riddance JP". The team has moved on and so should we as fans and just get behind them and show them ALL the support they deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighInNY
                              Hmmmm...

I was reading this on the website (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...4&storyID=6309) and it sounds to me like Rod Smith isn't really thrilled with the QB change. I mean, there's nothing in here that disparages Cutler or anything, but it sounds like Smith would prefer Jake still be under center. Some of this might be normal; it's always tough to change what we've grown comfortable with. I just hope everybody in the locker room is generally behind Jay and that this won't disrupt the locker room chemistry or anything. It is nice to know that Plummer is being awesome about all of this (though I expected nothing less from a guy that classy).

Anyway, here's what Smith said:

"It's tough," Rod Smith said. "Hell, it's tough for me to watch him taking snaps at scout team. It's hard for me to watch that, because I know what kind of competitor he is, and at the same time, he's there for Jay, helping him through his reads and little things like that. He's not showing any bitterness towards his teammates or anything like that towards the situation.

"It is what it is. He doesn't have control over it; he understands that, and at the same time, as a competitor that Jake is, he's a highly competitive guy, and he wants to be up under center, and he feels he deserves that, and at the same time right now, that's not the case, but you never know.

"As a team, we just have to go with who's there. If I'm not in the game, we still have to play. There's always going to be 11 out there, and for us as players, we don't get the opportunity to decide which 11 we want, so we just have to move forward and keep going, but I think he's really done an excellent job of handling the situation and just kind of dealing with it, because it's got to be a real tough situation."

Thoughts from others?
                              Makes perfect sense to me. Why wouldn't a receiver on the verge of (or in the midst of) losing the proverbial step feel deeply for a friend who is losing his starting job? Smith is in that exact place in his career. If there were only one starting reciever on a team (ala qb), Smith would be practicing with the scout team, too.
                              "Josh has handcuffed and buried this team for the next five years if not a decade. He has no game plan."-thinkin101

"Welcome to your first losing season McD... you'll probably get a few right off the bat."-jrthefreak

"I think the season will be a bloodbath. I'm on record and stand by my prediction of a 3-13 season..."-wolverine83

Comment

Working...
                              X