No announcement yet.

If we give Cutler the Jake treatment...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If we give Cutler the Jake treatment...

...we will be looking for a new quarterback soon.

When Culter threw up that lob pass that got intercepted, who here immediately thought of Jake's left handed inteception? Show of hands- and be honest.

Yeah, me too. And thats the problem. I have lurked on this board for three years. In that time, Plummer has never been able to live down that one play. In fact, it still gets mentioned even in the press.

If we treat Culter in the same way, he will never develop. The history of the NFL is littered with rookie quarterbacks with great talent whose psyches were crushed early in their careers. As a rule, young qb's rarely recover from that. If a faction develops in the fanbase and the press that insists on harping on mistakes, past and present, whether Cutler wins or loses, he will effectively get run out of town. Just like Plummer has.

I urge fans NOT to treat Jay in the same way Jake was treated. Its not fair to Jay just as it was not fair to Jake. Unlike Jake, Jay may not be able to handle it and still perform well on the field. And that would cost this team dearly in the long run.

Originally posted by BuckyBronco

When Culter threw up that lob pass that got intercepted, who here immediately thought of Jake's left handed inteception? Show of hands- and be honest.

Yeah, me too. And thats the problem. I have lurked on this board for three years. In that time, Plummer has never been able to live down that one play. In fact, it still gets mentioned even in the press.

If we treat Culter in the same way, he will never develop. The history of the NFL is littered with rookie quarterbacks with great talent whose psyches were crushed early in their careers. As a rule, young qb's rarely recover from that. If a faction develops in the fanbase and the press that insists on harping on mistakes, past and present, whether Cutler wins or loses, he will effectively get run out of town. Just like Plummer has.

I urge fans NOT to treat Jay in the same way Jake was treated. Its not fair to Jay just as it was not fair to Jake. Unlike Jake, Jay may not be able to handle it and still perform well on the field. And that would cost this team dearly in the long run.
    I agree! Plus if these people can play any better go try out for the team!
    If you love NFL stats and history
    pro-football-reference.com
    jt-sw.com/football

Comment

Let's wait three years and see if we exit the playoffs like we have the last three years.

Comment

Jake got more criticism because of the rep he had before coming here. He wasn't an unknown raw talent or rookie. Jay deserves the time that rookies need.

Comment

Originally posted by jammin
          Let's wait three years and see if we exit the playoffs like we have the last three years.

That would still be weird to NOT like that. Plummer was criticized for it, which I never understood.

But if Cutler takes the Broncos to three consecutive playoffs in his first full three seasons, why would that be a bad thing for a young QB?

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
          You should check these guys out

Comment

agreed but this is the broncos we're talking about
            playing qb for the broncos is harder than playing qb for any other team in the league just because of the broncos fan base. this is something that cutler will just have to deal with because i highly doubt the fans will change.

just look at what happened to these boards after he lost yesterday, and that was his first start in the NFL! imagine what it'll be like next year if he's not at least up at drew brees's level.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
              Jake got more criticism because of the rep he had before coming here. He wasn't an unknown raw talent or rookie. Jay deserves the time that rookies need.
              Exactly what Shanny is doing now instead of waiting for the beginning of next season. Let's get a lot of the growing pains out of the way now, and meanwhile Shanny will look for a couple of pass rushers, and offensive tackles.

Remember, this was his first game. He only gets better from here. Yes, he made one crazy play which I actually dreamed about several times in the last couple of weeks, but also there were two TD passes put on the board by him. I gave him a C for an average start by a rookie.
              As the great divide in America continues we are causing harm to our future generations by avoiding what needs to be done.

More people recognize Britney Spears than Dick Cheney.

Comment

Not saying you, but many of Jakes supporters act like Jake NEVER had support. Jake made many bad plays before I gave up on him. The most biggest difference I saw in Cutler is that he learned as the game went on. Jake always seemed to compound his problems. Hopefully Jay is a student of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!

The problem is that Jay supporters built a rep for him over the course of preseason and the regular season. By the time he finally played, expectations were way out of line. For example, how many times did people insist on this forum that Jay would do better than Plummer immediately? What about the comparisons to Romo and Rivers?

In fact, someone has already posted that Romo had a bad first game as well, which just sets up Jay to get flamed next game for not turning into Romo then.

If Jay gets treated badly, I think we will be creating a self-fulfilling prophecy. Do we really want to get a reputation as the Yankees fans of the NFL?

Comment

I started having flashbacks of Griese and his MULTIPUL throws where, if he was about to be sacked, he would just huck the ball to anywhere and anyone.....He never grew out of that while he was a Bronco....Will Jay?!?!?!?

PEACE!!!

Comment

The problem is that Jay supporters built a rep for him over the course of preseason and the regular season. By the time he finally played, expectations were way out of line. For example, how many times did people insist on this forum that Jay would do better than Plummer immediately? What about the comparisons to Romo and Rivers?

In fact, someone has already posted that Romo had a bad first game as well, which just sets up Jay to get flamed next game for not turning into Romo then.

If Jay gets treated badly, I think we will be creating a self-fulfilling prophecy. Do we really want to get a reputation as the Yankees fans of the NFL?
                      I dont care what team it is. The starting QB is under pressure. Cutler like anyother starting QB has to play with that pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Jared
                        That would still be weird to NOT like that. Plummer was criticized for it, which I never understood.

But if Cutler takes the Broncos to three consecutive playoffs in his first full three seasons, why would that be a bad thing for a young QB?
                        Amen. If Jay has a record like Plummer's after three full seasons, I will start thinking "Elway Jr." myself. That would be amazing for a young quarterback and justify every single loss he gets this season.

Comment

Originally posted by bleedbluorange
                          I dont care what team it is. The starting QB is under pressure. Cutler like anyother starting QB has to play with that pressure.

Pressure isn't the problem. Its the kind of pressure. There is a difference between "You are our hero, you will save us!" pressure and "Don't screw up again, you moron!" pressure. Its the latter kind that destroys the psyche of rookie quarterbacks. I am urging people not to resort to the latter because a rookie quarterback loses his first few games and makes some silly mistakes.

If we are going to pressure him, lets at least use the right kind.

Besides, Yankees fans have a trademark on the latter kind.

Comment

They should have let Jake complete the season.

It is a tragedy the way Jake was treated. He won many games and was a joy to watch. Cutler was played up, because of his performance in the preseason.

Comment

Wait I have a tear dropping......../tear /tear ok now its gone.

Gimmie a break, what is all this "great talent whose psyches were crushed" garbage. First off Jay is a big boy who has trained his whole life for the NFL, he is soon to make a big boys paycheck and is going to be expected to play his value day in and day out regardless of how heartless or cold anyone is to him.

I urge fans to quit treating Jay Cutler like some little kid who just got drafted from the University of McDonalds. Last time I checked no one cared about the crushed psyches of the rookie fry cook who burnt his first round of fries.

No one gets a free pass, everyone is expected to go into work everyday and earn their piece. If I gotta go into work everyday and bust my $$$ so I can earn enough money to buy a new Jay Cutler jersey, then he better go into work and earn that paycheck. If we are talking about winning and losing lets talk about it, but for God's sake leave this whole "save Jay's fargile little spirit" nonsense at PETA where is belongs!

Ya Hurd! x 2

Comment

Working...
                              X