If we give Cutler the Jake treatment...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BuckyBronco
    The problem is that Jay supporters built a rep for him over the course of preseason and the regular season. By the time he finally played, expectations were way out of line. For example, how many times did people insist on this forum that Jay would do better than Plummer immediately? What about the comparisons to Romo and Rivers?

In fact, someone has already posted that Romo had a bad first game as well, which just sets up Jay to get flamed next game for not turning into Romo then.

If Jay gets treated badly, I think we will be creating a self-fulfilling prophecy. Do we really want to get a reputation as the Yankees fans of the NFL?
    Dude...what are you talking about? What you said is absolutely preposterous!

I don't remember people building up Cutler. I've never read anything about how strong his arm is. How accurate he is. About how smart he is. About how we could finally open up the playbook once he started playing. And I never read anything about Cutler being better than Plummer right now.

Sarcasm is like a second language to me.

Comment

Originally posted by In-com-plete

I don't remember people building up Cutler. I've never read anything about how strong his arm is. How accurate he is. About how smart he is. About how we could finally open up the playbook once he started playing. And I never read anything about Cutler being better than Plummer right now.

And who is this Elway Jr.? Did Cutler really give his kid such a horrible name?!

Comment

All I know is at least now when our QB drops back to pass, I can be filled with hope.......instead of fear.

I could say "give the guy a chance" until I am blue in the face, and the crazy's on this message board would still act like idiots.

I don't think I can stand the Bronco's message board much longer.

Anyone know if it is better over in Orangemane?

Comment

Originally posted by 4th Amigo
          All I know is at least now when our QB drops back to pass, I can be filled with hope.......instead of fear.

I could say "give the guy a chance" until I am blue in the face, and the crazy's on this message board would still act like idiots.

I don't think I can stand the Bronco's message board much longer.

Anyone know if it is better over in Orangemane?
          Yeah,feel the same way.It seems like something special or electrical is gonna happen when Cutler drops back.Good Luck the next one Cutler.

Comment

Originally posted by TheComeBackKid
            Wait I have a tear dropping......../tear /tear ok now its gone.

Gimmie a break, what is all this "great talent whose psyches were crushed" garbage. First off Jay is a big boy who has trained his whole life for the NFL, he is soon to make a big boys paycheck and is going to be expected to play his value day in and day out regardless of how heartless or cold anyone is to him.

I urge fans to quit treating Jay Cutler like some little kid who just got drafted from the University of McDonalds. Last time I checked no one cared about the crushed psyches of the rookie fry cook who burnt his first round of fries.

No one gets a free pass, everyone is expected to go into work everyday and earn their piece. If I gotta go into work everyday and bust my $$$ so I can earn enough money to buy a new Jay Cutler jersey, then he better go into work and earn that paycheck. If we are talking about winning and losing lets talk about it, but for God's sake leave this whole "save Jay's fargile little spirit" nonsense at PETA where is belongs!

a Hurd! x 2
            Nice post, I fell out of my chair laughing.

Your exactly right, baptism by fire not water in the NFL. Every QB needs to deal with it, why not Jay?
            Just admit your wrong

Comment

Originally posted by AlWilsonizKING
              I started having flashbacks of Griese and his MULTIPUL throws where, if he was about to be sacked, he would just huck the ball to anywhere and anyone.....He never grew out of that while he was a Bronco....Will Jay?!?!?!?

PEACE!!!
              Yes, Jay already learned. If you watched the Elway interview he was funny for he remembered when he did it. I think that is the true "Welcome to the NFL" play for rookie quarterbacks. You've got to have a least one.

It takes rookies time for the game to slow down. Vince Young is a prime example. Though Vince will never be regarded as a great passer after about three starts the game began to slow down for him, and look at the results the Titans have put up the last 7 weeks. That is a team of youngsters.
              Last edited by vandyman53; 12-05-2006, 09:46 AM.
              As the great divide in America continues we are causing harm to our future generations by avoiding what needs to be done.

More people recognize Britney Spears than Dick Cheney.

Comment

...we will be looking for a new quarterback soon.
                Define soon...he is a rookie he is going to make mistakes

...When Culter threw up that lob pass that got intercepted, who here immediately thought of Jake's left handed inteception? Show of hands- and be honest.
                Honestly I didn't, I thought well he should learn not to do that again

...Yeah, me too. And thats the problem. I have lurked on this board for three years. In that time, Plummer has never been able to live down that one play. In fact, it still gets mentioned even in the press.
                There is a difference when a rookie does someting, and when a vetran does a stupid rookie play.

...If we treat Culter in the same way, he will never develop. The history of the NFL is littered with rookie quarterbacks with great talent whose psyches were crushed early in their careers. As a rule, young qb's rarely recover from that. If a faction develops in the fanbase and the press that insists on harping on mistakes, past and present, whether Cutler wins or loses, he will effectively get run out of town. Just like Plummer has.
                As long as he keeps his leadership he will be fine, I think that is what made Griese loose his game...but that is my opinion.

...I urge fans NOT to treat Jay in the same way Jake was treated. Its not fair to Jay just as it was not fair to Jake. Unlike Jake, Jay may not be able to handle it and still perform well on the field. And that would cost this team dearly in the long run.
                I think that Jay WILL make mistakes, and he may make the same ones over, as long as he plays hard and actually moves the ball once in a while, make games exciting everything will be fine with him.
                Helping rock the Stadium on game day!!!

Comment

There were many good remarks made so far. Jay should probably not be criticized to harshly, but he should not get a free pass from any criticism. That is the nature of the beast in the NFL: hero one moment and goat the next. I personally feel that Jay will be fine in the future, and I am not worried about him having a fragile ego that the fan base can immediately crush.

Jay had from the beginning of training camp all the way through game 11 to see what kind of pressure the qb deals with in Denver. He got to watch how Jake was treated and how Jake reacted to it. If he learned anything from that it is probably that even when you have a good record (say 7-2) you will not be free from criticism. He also was able to observe how the team reacted and what the mood was in the locker room. I would imagine that what he took from all of this is that what is said ouside of the locker room doesn't matter one bit. Everyone wants to see him succeed.

No one had any illusions about what a rookie could come in and do. As fans we hoped for the very best, but that is what we do. We want to win, and that is the only pressure that translates to the players cause they want the same thing. That is where the pressure comes from, and it is a form that most pro players learn to handle. Just give it some time and you will see, but hold on to your opinion because it is valuable.

Comment

Originally posted by In-com-plete

When your realistic on this forum you need to be able to speak sarcastic fluently, it is the only language many on here know how to read.

But they really don't understand that it is only sarcasm. Not the truth!

Comment

And who is this Elway Jr.? Did Cutler really give his kid such a horrible name?!

Think it was his johnson!

Comment

Originally posted by lonedv
                        Nice post, I fell out of my chair laughing.

Your exactly right, baptism by fire not water in the NFL. Every QB needs to deal with it, why not Jay?
                        Because he is so special The hater academy will give him a pass all year and most likely the next one also.

You know what is good for the goose is not good for the gander.

Comment

Working...
                        X