Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
    I don't think that's true.

Elway thinks Jay is capable of leading the team to the SB.

I'd say, based on their resumes, you might want to start thinking that Jay is something special.

JMO

Elway said the same thing about Plummer...before he came to Denver.
    You will always be a Bronco Darrent, R.I.P.

Comment

i remember elway saying the same thing regarding plummer...

irrespective of how every one feels, i want cutler to perform well and want him to succeed.

Comment

Elway speaking sure did make me feel better.It was also great to hear him endorse Jay Cutler.Hope he made some of the other board members feel better as well.

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilverkid13
          Elway said the same thing about Plummer...before he came to Denver.

Yeah, except he was wrong then...

NOW, he's right!!

sigpic

Comment

"Elway likes what he see's in Cutler"

Don't know if this has been posted yet...

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/16163998.htm

"Elway likes what he sees in Cutler"

By Frank Schwab

The Gazette

Posted on Mon, Dec. 04, 2006
            (MCT)

DENVER - The Denver Broncos are on their eighth season and third regular starting quarterback since John Elway retired.

Brian Griese couldn't fill Elway's shoes. Neither could Jake Plummer. Elway said rookie first-round pick Jay Cutler might be the one who can. Cutler started his first game Sunday, and struggled for most of a 23-20 loss to Seattle.

"Jay's the guy," Elway said Monday. "I'm going to answer those questions until they find the guy. Jay's got a chance to do it. Jake did a good job but Cutler's just a different guy, a different style. He can throw the ball downfield and drop back a little bit."

Elway held a press conference at the steakhouse that bears his name Monday morning. He was there to discuss the Colorado Crush, the Arena Football League team he operates as the chief executive officer. He spent most of the 30-minute press conference discussing the Broncos' quarterback situation.

Elway is a Hall of Famer who retired after guiding the Broncos to their second straight Super Bowl win at the end of the 1998 season. Until someone approaches his success in Denver, quarterbacks will be measured against him.

"I kind of feel bad because I'm brought into it all the time," Elway said. "Because of the bar that has been set here and the expectations the fans have, that's tough."

Elway said he felt bad for Plummer, who was benched last week. Plummer led Denver to a 39-15 record as a starter. But fans never warmed up to him and Elway said he could sense the pressure was tough to handle.

"I feel for Jake because he was under a lot of pressure to win, and having a first-rounder behind you makes it more difficult," Elway said. "It was a tough situation for Jake but he did the best he could with it."

Cutler stepped into the Elway comparisons when he was drafted by Denver in the first round. He is a big quarterback with a strong arm who was a standout for a bad college team, just like Elway. Elway said he can see the similarities between himself and Cutler.

Cutler completed 10 of 21 passes for 143 yards against the Seahawks, and 71 of his yards came when rookie Brandon Marshall had a great run after a short pass. Elway, whose biography still occupies 13 pages in Denver's media guide, said people forget his mistakes. That included his first start, when he completed 1 of 8 passes for 14 yards.

"You're away from the game for eight years and people look at you like you never made a mistake," Elway said. "You (the media) used to crucify me. I'm a God now. I went through the same things everyone else is going through, the things Jay is going to go through and Jake has gone through."

Elway said he thought Cutler played well and coach Mike Shanahan agreed. Shanahan repeated something he said last week, that he believes Cutler gives the Broncos the best chance to win.

"You make those decisions, and you go on," Shanahan said. "Sometimes it's a tough decision. Sometimes it doesn't look crystal clear why you made the decision, but I believe it's the best thing for us."
            Follow the Forehead Bronco Faithful! sigpic

Comment

I forgot about the 1 of 8 for 14 yards. lmao...
              Originally posted by Soldier96B
              i also took a crap and it was orange

Comment

Jay will be great... just wait!

John started his career with a HORRIBLE game! 1 of 8? for 14 yards?

Oh man!

I thought what John had to say about how the media is was REALLY funny.
                Follow the Forehead Bronco Faithful! sigpic

Comment

http://cbs4denver.com/video/[email protected]

That's the whole interview. He says some pretty cool things about Cutler and reminds everyone of his own mistakes.

Comment

There was another thread about this with a vid link...but good find!
                    XBL: The1Executioner

Comment

I wish there was a way to show this to Jay if he hasn't seen it already. This should take pressure off of him in his mind, and provide a confidence boost.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
                        Back on topic...

Dan Reeves said Jay is alot like Elway. Elway thinks Jay is capable of leading the team to the SB.

I'd say, based on their resumes, you might want to start thinking that Jay is something special.
                        He also said that the problems weren't all Jake's fault, that the offense in general is struggling. The offense line isn't as good as the past, possibly because of losing someone as good as Lepsis.

He also cracked a joke about how being away from football has made everyone forget all the mistakes he has made that the media and fans crucified him for, and they simply turn him into a God that made no mistakes. He seemed to like that amnesia that people have.
                        The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SeeingRed
                          I forgot about the 1 of 8 for 14 yards. lmao...
                          Yep 1-8 no touchdown passes.
                          John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by tnedator
                            He also said that the problems weren't all Jake's fault, that the offense in general is struggling. The offense line isn't as good as the past, possibly because of losing someone as good as Lepsis.

He also cracked a joke about how being away from football has made everyone forget all the mistakes he has made that the media and fans crucified him for, and they simply turn him into a God that made no mistakes. He seemed to like that amnesia that people have.

That's true, and he also said that fair or not Jake still didn't get the job. Now he didn't delve into deeply but Elway also made reference to being able to pass more from the pocket more with Jay as the starter.
                            John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Working...
                            X