No announcement yet.

Defense sucks? Stats show otherwise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea, I am confused at why people would think our D is doing bad. The D-line applied pressure. Most of Alexander's run plays were only for 4 yards tops.

Comment

He did.

Originally posted by Chargers#1Fan!
      OO yea I saw that. Did the guy hit the ball with his helmet?
      Squarely, too; Rod had both hands on the ball, but anyone would've fumbled that. Our D played a stellar game, holding last years MVP and season TD record holder to a 1.7 yard average. If there's anything to complain about it was that "bleed yardage 'til they're in FG range" drive at the end, but you can't blame the players for the playcalling. At that, it worked; it took a phantom defensive holding call (on a RUN!) to get them close enough to win in regulation. The sad fact is for some people we could get sacks every other down and our pass rush would never be good enough because there's a popular school of thought that says "good defense" means blitzing 8 or 9 guys every down. Here's another stat question for you:

Who had more sacks yesterday, the Titans in their win against Indy or the Broncos in their loss to Seattle? (Hint: Peyton Manning wasn't sacked all day; he still lost. )

Our D has kept us in this season just like it kept us in the last one; imagine how scary they'd be if they were all still healthy....
      SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Morambar

Who had more sacks yesterday, the Titans in their win against Indy or the Broncos in their loss to Seattle? (Hint: Peyton Manning wasn't sacked all day; he still lost. )

You can't ask a question like that and answer it at the same time.

What really got my wheels turning was Foxworth playing safety for most of the game...it didn't really ever hurt us, but it was still unorthodox.
        Originally posted by Soldier96B
        i also took a crap and it was orange

Comment

A CB playing DB isn't that weird.

Originally posted by SeeingRed
          You can't ask a question like that and answer it at the same time.

What really got my wheels turning was Foxworth playing safety for most of the game...it didn't really ever hurt us, but it was still unorthodox.
          Especially considering our starting SS and backup FS are both out with torn ACLs (but then, whom isn't?) A lot of really good safeties are born of CBs who've lost a step as they aged; I'm just a little surprised Foxy is doing it with his size, but he seemed to do OK. I've always liked him better than D-Will, but that's just me; for all the people that like to bash Shannys draft picks, he did really well picking corners two years ago, and trading for Champ and Lynch makes it a master stroke that gave us a Pro Bowl safety, and ultimately, three Pro Bowl CBs. Possibly another Pro Bowl safety or two down the line as well. Our secondary was a joke until those guys got here, and it's worlds better now.

In fact, despite all the naysayers, I still think this is a very good team racked by injuries, injuries that haven't just cost us a few guys for a few weeks, but key members of our team for the rest of the season. With the exception of not having a back who can block and move piles, the right side of our O-Line (a long time disappointment to me) and an adequte but unimpressive performance from our DTs, I think we're solid all around. But look at IR; it's brutal.

Lepsis, Ferguson, Brown, Brandon, just to name the ones I know off the top of my head. All but one are starters (and Brandon would be if John Lynch wasn't so lethal) and they're all done until next year. And now that we (supposedly) have our starting running back on the field again you can replace him on IR with Cecil Sapp, who broke his leg on Sunday. The good news is the DEs haven't missed a beat since Brown went down, though I'd like them to have more help from the DTs, and Pears is getting some valuable experience at one of if not the most difficult spot on the line: LT. The future, IMHO, looks grim for George Foster, because Pears will probably take his job in the offseason while Lepsis will go back to solidly protecting the QBs blindside on the other end. Meanwhile, Foxworth will have gotten some more game experience, too, but Fergie should be back at SS. Truth be told, if we're just looking at next year I'd like to see a good RG, DT (or two) and a power back who can pick up the blitz in the next draft. Do that and I don't see any reason why we couldn't go all the way, and with a team that (unlike the last SB team) is pretty young. Though if I had my druthers we'd get a big OLB and an ILB to go with a quality NT (or two) and switch in to a 3-4 (if I say it often enough it might happen, right? )
          SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic
            This just absolutely blows my mind.

In the fourth quarter, Seattle had as many possessions, as Denver's offense had plays.

Think about that.
            Seattle drives down the field- TD
            turnover on special teams
            Seattle kicks FG
            Denver INT on first play
            Seattle kicks FG

Talk about a complete and total collapse. :brick: Good teams don't do this.
            You've got to know when to sack em...

Comment

Working...
            X