Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Vets Continue To Take Vital Reps?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Should Vets Continue To Take Vital Reps?

    I ask this question mainly about Rod Smith. If the Broncos are not going to make the Playoffs, his reps should be re-directed to the David Kircus' and Brian Clark's, etc. Rod Smith has slipped, there is little doubt about that. The only reason for Smith to continue to play is to chase history. He has his rings, he has his money, now his catches are for nothing more than to improve his career stats.

    If the Broncos are facing the inevitable future of a youth movement (and they are), when does Smith's playing time better serve the team by getting players like Clark, Kircus and Marshall valuable playing time?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Camp Fodder
    I ask this question mainly about Rod Smith. If the Broncos are not going to make the Playoffs, his reps should be re-directed to the David Kircus' and Brian Clark's, etc. Rod Smith has slipped, there is little doubt about that. The only reason for Smith to continue to play is to chase history. He has his rings, he has his money, now his catches are for nothing more than to improve his career stats.

    If the Broncos are facing the inevitable future of a youth movement (and they are), when does Smith's playing time better serve the team by getting players like Clark, Kircus and Marshall valuable playing time?

    Oh. And here I clicked on this thread feeling sure you were referring to Al

    ...which I came to question, myself: Why do we have our #1 (2, maybe) defensive player tossing his body around on kick coverage?

    (Granted, football is a dangerous sport, period. But there are so many more opportunities for injury on ST plays, just considering the increased velocities and unpredicatbility involved.)
    sigpic
    They're your teammates, now.
    Best of luck, TT!
    ...Always a class act - in any uniform.



    sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

    Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Camp Fodder
      I ask this question mainly about Rod Smith. If the Broncos are not going to make the Playoffs, his reps should be re-directed to the David Kircus' and Brian Clark's, etc. Rod Smith has slipped, there is little doubt about that. The only reason for Smith to continue to play is to chase history. He has his rings, he has his money, now his catches are for nothing more than to improve his career stats.

      If the Broncos are facing the inevitable future of a youth movement (and they are), when does Smith's playing time better serve the team by getting players like Clark, Kircus and Marshall valuable playing time?
      Until the team is eliminated from the playoffs, there is absolutely no reason to worry about it unless they are playing better than the vets. Even if we get eliminated, I still want the team to play to win.
      "You can't take the sky from me..."
      ------
      "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

      Comment


      • #4
        Ha!

        Wow I can't believe I just read a thread about benching Rod Smith for David Kircus!!! I'm still asking myself why Kircus is even on the team, now we're talking about playing him over Rod Smith? ROD SMITH??? 1 Fumble and you're talking about benching the greatest WR in Broncos history?

        I will say Marshall should get more playing time after that catch and run, but not at the expense of one of the biggest leaders on this team.

        Comment


        • #5
          Broncos Offense needs Rod Smith. Rod Smith and Tom Nalen are the leaders of the Offense. Cutler needs a veteran receiver he can rely on, even though Smith has lost a step.

          Comment


          • #6
            Agreed.

            Originally posted by NickTranOwnz
            Broncos Offense needs Rod Smith. Rod Smith and Tom Nalen are the leaders of the Offense. Cutler needs a veteran receiver he can rely on, even though Smith has lost a step.
            Rod runs nice routes, and with Walker drawing double teams now having a veteran receiver who will be exactly where he's supposed to be is a big help for our rookie QB. He had both hands on that ball and the tackler just got a helmet right on it; it was one of those things. Jerry Rice would've fumbled that ball. I still think Rod has at least a couple years left if he wants to keep playing, but we need to find a reliable check down man that teams have to respect so they can't just double Javon and roll coverage on Rod or vice versa. I really don't care whom; Marshall, Kircus, Schefler, somebody we draft this year, but somebody. That, and a RB who can block and move the pile; right now I don't think we have any that can do either apart from Kyle Johnson, and Cecils broken leg (ouch!) just makes that lack the more glaring.

            I also don't think more practice time is going to get our subs in game shape; the only thing that will do that is games, which is why I'm glad Cutler is in now.
            SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Morambar
              Rod runs nice routes, and with Walker drawing double teams now having a veteran receiver who will be exactly where he's supposed to be is a big help for our rookie QB. He had both hands on that ball and the tackler just got a helmet right on it; it was one of those things. Jerry Rice would've fumbled that ball. I still think Rod has at least a couple years left if he wants to keep playing, but we need to find a reliable check down man that teams have to respect so they can't just double Javon and roll coverage on Rod or vice versa. I really don't care whom; Marshall, Kircus, Schefler, somebody we draft this year, but somebody. That, and a RB who can block and move the pile; right now I don't think we have any that can do either apart from Kyle Johnson, and Cecils broken leg (ouch!) just makes that lack the more glaring.

              I also don't think more practice time is going to get our subs in game shape; the only thing that will do that is games, which is why I'm glad Cutler is in now.
              Yea ....I understand getting a qb some game experience, for next year.....just not on a team in the playoff hunt...like the broncos.

              But I don't understand how getting players like Marshall, Kircus, or Shefler, more catches....helps them for next year.........
              My 3 favorite teams:
              1.The Denver Broncos
              2.The Ohio State Buckeyes
              3.Any team who plays Michigan

              Comment


              • #8
                Because games are different.

                Originally posted by broncophan
                Yea ....I understand getting a qb some game experience, for next year.....just not on a team in the playoff hunt...like the broncos.

                But I don't understand how getting players like Marshall, Kircus, or Shefler, more catches....helps them for next year.........
                Just ask Rod how many times he's gotten nailed going up for a pass in practice versus games. As for not doing it while in the playoff hunt, well, I'm hoping the Broncos are in the playoff hunt every December of Cutlers career, so the question becomes: when...?

                Everyone's been treated it as an axiom Cutler starts next year (though, to my knowledge, only one of our posters has direct connections to the team) so I'd rather do this now than next September, when I'm hoping we begin yet another drive to a Championship.
                SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  With the injury to Sapp I think you'll see Denver run more 3 WR sets that will get Marshall on the field more.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Reps should be given to all the starting players...

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X