Moving Foster to the Inside.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Foster to the Inside.

I'm not sure if anyone heard this statement this afternoon but I was listening to Scott and Al on AM 950 (I love their show by the way) and they were talking with Stink about our offensive woes. They were talking about the offensive line and their struggles this season. Scott brought up a very interesting point in why don't we move Foster to the inside to play guard? Dude is pretty atheletic and VERY strong. Not sure if you noticed but our guards got WORKED last night and pretty much all season. Stink fallowed up with some very interesting comments, he said that would be a great move and would definately help with the pressure up the middle. I'm not ready to give up on foster just yet and I truly think that we need to morph our philosophy on the 265 lb. lineman. What do you think???
    sigpic

Maybe LG (after Hamilton moves to C). Moving him to RG would be a waste of Kuper.

If it's a sensible option, I'd imagine Shanahan will try it.

Comment

i saw hamilton get decked flat on his back last night

was funny

Comment

Why not give it a shot? I would absolutely hate for us to waste a shot at this guy at a different position. Stink's comments were very interesting. He said that George Foster is a very good talent. The only think he struggles with is his footwork. Therefore why not give him a shot inside where he can use his size and brute strenght?
        sigpic

Comment

Maybe next season. Moving Foster this season would only disrupt whatever chemistry is left on the offensive line.
          sigpic

Comment

I dont think moving him inside will help, we have a 290+ lbs center in Eslinger waiting in the wings (won the award for colleges best center and scouts say he plays with a mean streak) and two guards 300 or over in Kuper and Myers (although Myers dad said he was around 285lbs) Have lepsis and Pears outside and have them eat more and the line will be good.

Comment

Maybe we can move Foster to DT to pair with Warren

Comment

As I have stated before (and many others before me), I feel that we have developed an offensive line that is very good at run blocking, but stinks at true pass blocking for a drop back type QB.

I think Foster in the middle would be worth a shot next year (if it look's like it works in the off season training).

I am glad to hear from TU_HurricanDB that there are big linemen waiting on our roster for a shot. Maybe Shanny has been thinking that he had better start drafting bigger pass blockers as he has been intending for us to move in a different direction in the future.
                Follow the Forehead Bronco Faithful! sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hansolo
                  As I have stated before (and many others before me), I feel that we have developed an offensive line that is very good at run blocking, but stinks at true pass blocking for a drop back type QB.

I think Foster in the middle would be worth a shot next year (if it look's like it works in the off season training).

I am glad to hear from TU_HurricanDB that there are big linemen waiting on our roster for a shot. Maybe Shanny has been thinking that he had better start drafting bigger pass blockers as he has been intending for us to move in a different direction in the future.
                  Good point! That might very well be the case with the recent aquisitions of Kuper, Eslinger and Myers. Makes you wonder............
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco in UT
                    I'm not sure if anyone heard this statement this afternoon but I was listening to Scott and Al on AM 950 (I love their show by the way) and they were talking with Stink about our offensive woes. They were talking about the offensive line and their struggles this season. Scott brought up a very interesting point in why don't we move Foster to the inside to play guard? Dude is pretty atheletic and VERY strong. Not sure if you noticed but our guards got WORKED last night and pretty much all season. Stink fallowed up with some very interesting comments, he said that would be a great move and would definately help with the pressure up the middle. I'm not ready to give up on foster just yet and I truly think that we need to morph our philosophy on the 265 lb. lineman. What do you think???
                    Hamilton was really getting pushed around last night.
                    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

I thought Eslinger was really small? Weight wise..
                      sigpic

Comment

I heard him mention that yesterday. But I don't know about moving him inside. No way I'd do it this season. And it seems like we've got some younger talent that should be able to step in next year.

I say we just send him on his way after his contract is up. Make that '03 draft a complete wash.

Anyone else think its odd that there's been more talk about the O-line's struggles in the last 36 hours than I did in the previous 36 days? I wonder why?

Comment

Worth a shot.

Hamilton's still a great pulling guard, a terror in the running game, but I've never been impressed with the right side of our line. Offensive tackle and offensive guard are rather different positions though; the biggest job for a guard is to get line surge for the running backs (though they have pass protection duties, too) while the biggest job of a tackle is being nimble enough that DEs and LBs (and sometimes DBs) don't get around them to the QB, though they still have run blocking duties. Foster clearly isn't getting it done at RT, and I look forward to seeing what 3/4 of a season protecting the QBs blindside does to Pears at RT next year, but if moving Foster (who truly is huge) to RG will give us that much needed and long missed punch so we can run to the right as effectively as we run left I'm all for it.

Before people start piling on Ben Hamilton, remember that he also has to help out a rookie at the most important spot of our pass protection (the most important part of anyone's unless your QB's a lefty) and is still a huge asset in the running game. I'm not sure we could ever run to the right without him. Which brings me back to my original point: when Lepsis is healthy, the weak part of our line has been the right side for at least two years, and while I'm hoping Pears will help with that at tackle next season, we really need a powerful guard to have a big impact on the running game over there. Foster, by all accounts, has both the mass and ability to play that role, and he doesn't have to worry as much about out dancing guys who weigh fifty pounds less--he can just knock 'em on their tails.

At this point I don't see much trade value in him except from a team who might do exactly what's being proposed here: move him to guard, 'cos he holds when he doesn't get beat on passing downs, which means he's pretty much always getting beat. Hulking guards and smaller, nimbler tackles are the recipe for success, and the only reason to go away from that is if you pull your guards to run block a lot. If Foster can do that with any kind of reliability he could be quite good at RG.
                          SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hansolo

Actually I expect a lot to change with the line, the Guards: Carlisle and Hamilton pretty much got owned this year, as did Foster on the right...but what I am looking at is that Denver is now looking for big athletic lineman for Cutler and this team, Foster may be worth a look inside, but let us look at the starters: Hamilton (283), Carlisle (295), Matt Lepsis (290), Meadows (290) and Nalen (286)...quite light, but let's look at our new linemen: Myers (300), Kuper (302), Foster (338), Pears (305) and Eslinger (290), getting a little bigger. I have a friend that believes that Hamilton not Foster will be traded to Houston for a 2nd Round Pick this year, not sure why he believes it, but I am starting to understand why...look at our future right side: Kuper and Pears (607) and our left is very open, he believes Eslinger may get a shot in a year or two but Nalen is likely to retire and Myers not Hamilton or Eslinger will be Denver's new center, unless Eslinger can get over 300lbs. and work it better then Chris. But he believes that Foster unless traded will be the left guard in Denver, he also believes that Denver will get two huge balanced lineman in the Draft; in the 1st Round: Levi Brown - OT - Penn State and in the 5th Round: Chase Johnson - OT - Wyoming, unless he said they trade Foster then likely they will nab in the 3rd Round: Manuel Ramirez - OG - Texas Tech or Ben Grubbs - OG - Auburn.

I can see his points as I said, but one thing stands out, that Denver has an investment in Cutler, Bowlen and Shanahan want him protected...and with how questionable the line is now doing, there is much needed change.

Comment

Broncos have the smallest O-line in the league. But with the sacrifice of size (and sometimes strength), the Broncos O-line is the fastest in the league. It helps us on screen passes and runs. The O-line is also to do chop blocks better. With the loss of size, it totally helps our run game.

Comment

Working...
                              X