Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the london monarchs

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • the london monarchs

    brad johnsons old team in nfl europe.

    does any1 know why this franchise went bust?

  • #2
    Re: the london monarchs

    Originally posted by bronx_2003
    brad johnsons old team in nfl europe.

    does any1 know why this franchise went bust?

    Same reasons they all do


    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

    Comment


    • #3
      Mostly a lack of crowds for games. The press over here had a brief affair with football in the mid 80s - early 90s, but it fell out of favour. The Monarchs got moved around a lot, playing at 3 different ground round London during one season which didn't help matters.
      Also didn't help that London, whilst the biggest population in the UK, is a real pain in the butt to get to. I had a season ticket in '91, but it involved a 10 hour round trip drive from where I was at college, and traveling on a Sunday isn't fun using trains, in fact I don't think I could have done it in a single day.

      Real shame that the press didn't really support the team, as the World Bowl final in '91 had an attendance of 63,000. It didn't help either that the league was suspended for a year or two because of poor overall attendances & viewing figures. The team really lost a lot of profile in that period, and the league being reformed without the US & Canadian teams never really caught the imagination in the same way.
      The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

      Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
      BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
      You'll Never Walk Alone




      Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

      You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

      Maybe Slowick should pay attention

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Den21-Bal19
        Mostly a lack of crowds for games. The press over here had a brief affair with football in the mid 80s - early 90s, but it fell out of favour. The Monarchs got moved around a lot, playing at 3 different ground round London during one season which didn't help matters.
        Also didn't help that London, whilst the biggest population in the UK, is a real pain in the butt to get to. I had a season ticket in '91, but it involved a 10 hour round trip drive from where I was at college, and traveling on a Sunday isn't fun using trains, in fact I don't think I could have done it in a single day.

        Real shame that the press didn't really support the team, as the World Bowl final in '91 had an attendance of 63,000. It didn't help either that the league was suspended for a year or two because of poor overall attendances & viewing figures. The team really lost a lot of profile in that period, and the league being reformed without the US & Canadian teams never really caught the imagination in the same way.

        Wow!

        That was an informative post.

        Good Job outta you.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Den21-Bal19

          Also didn't help that London, whilst the biggest population in the UK, is a real pain in the butt to get to. I had a season ticket in '91, but it involved a 10 hour round trip drive from where I was at college, and traveling on a Sunday isn't fun using trains, in fact I don't think I could have done it in a single day.
          I don't understand. The UK is roughly the size of the states we collectively call New England. In 5 hours, on a train, it can't be done? Are the trains slow there? And I don't mean the Undergorund.

          In 5 hours, if I were in Bangor, ME, I am fairly certain that I could make it past NYC, no problem. By train though, in 5 hours, at passenger train speeds, I would be in Washington D.C. I think. Most Amtracks go about 90 mph. (144.841 kph)

          Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

          The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
          You should check these guys out

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Jared
            I don't understand. The UK is roughly the size of the states we collectively call New England. In 5 hours, on a train, it can't be done? Are the trains slow there? And I don't mean the Undergorund.

            In 5 hours, if I were in Bangor, ME, I am fairly certain that I could make it past NYC, no problem. By train though, in 5 hours, at passenger train speeds, I would be in Washington D.C. I think. Most Amtracks go about 90 mph. (144.841 kph)
            The problem would have been two fold. At the time, Sunday services were next to non-existent. The first train from the nearest station to me would have been about 10am. This 20mile jaunt would have taken about 40-45 minutes. There would then be the best part of an hour wait at the mainline station (With no cafes or bars open at that time on a Sunday) before the express service to London, which took about 3 hours, then underground to whichever ground the Monarchs were playing at, which could take upto another hour.

            On the return, the last train out of London would be about 8pm for the 3 hour jaunt north. The last connection was at 10:30, leaving a 25 mile taxi ride back to college. And that was if everything ran to schedule. More chance of the Chargers winning the Superbowl!!

            Maybe next year, when my son's a little older, I'll try getting to a couple of Claymore games. It's only 4 hours each way by car!

            Another slight problem is that either train fare or fuel costs more than the damned tickets!
            The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

            Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
            BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
            You'll Never Walk Alone




            Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

            You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

            Maybe Slowick should pay attention

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Jared
              I don't understand. The UK is roughly the size of the states we collectively call New England. In 5 hours, on a train, it can't be done? Are the trains slow there? And I don't mean the Undergorund.

              In 5 hours, if I were in Bangor, ME, I am fairly certain that I could make it past NYC, no problem. By train though, in 5 hours, at passenger train speeds, I would be in Washington D.C. I think. Most Amtracks go about 90 mph. (144.841 kph)
              its different here because the stations are closer together meaning the train can rarely hit a good speed. i bet the manchester - london train had many stops but because america is so big you could probably be on a trains hours before it calls at a station?

              or maybe thats just bull**** LOL

              Comment

              Working...
              X