If The Season Ended Today: Scenerios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If The Season Ended Today: Scenerios

Alright, hopefully this can get a sticky, look for this to be the biggest if the season ended today thread I've made. This has every scenario, seed, explanation, prediction, what to root for, and specific team needs, that you could imagine. Well at least all I have time for.

Note: For those of you only interested in Denver, I made everything about Denver a bigger size.

This is only the AFC, since this may take an hour or so as it is.

So without further delay, here's how the AFC looks RIGHT now.

Would be in the playoffs if the season ended today
    1. y-San Diego 12-2
    2. y-Indy 11-3
    3. y-Baltimore 11-3
    4. New England 10-4
    5. Denver 8-6 (1st WC)
    6. Cincinnati 8-6 (2nd WC)

Right in the Hunt
    7. Jacksonville 8-6
    8. New York Jets 8-6

Still in contention, but need some help
    9. Buffalo 7-7
    10. Tennessee 7-7
    11. Pittsburgh 7-7
    12. Kansas City 7-7

Y= Clinched Division

Explanations--only of Those In the Hunt, or currently in.
    SD is first with the best record in the NFL.

Indy is second because they have a better strength of Victory then Baltimore. (No head-to-head matchups, equal conference record)

Baltimore is third. (See Indy).

New England is fourth because they have the worst record among division leaders.

Denver is fifth because among the four 8-6 AFC non division leading teams, they have the best Conference record.
    Note: Cincy is 6-4 and Denver is 7-4, but none of this matters...if we beat Cincy next week we automatically finish with a better seed than them, and if they beat us next week, they automatically finish with a better seeding than us. In other words, we need to win.

Cincy is sixth (see Denver), and they have a better conference record than Jax and NY Jets.

Jacksonville is seventh because they have a worse conference record than Denver and Cincy, and they beat the Jets head-to-head.

NY Jets are eighth. (See Denver, Cincy, and Jacksonville.)

What each team needs to root for.

San DiegoThey are currently the first seed, but if they lose and Indy and Baltimore both win, they would immediately drop to the third seed, and lose the first round bye because Baltimore has the tiebreaker over them, and Indy over Baltimore.

If you're a SD fan, This week you're rooting for: Houston (Playing Indy) and Pittsburgh (Playing Baltimore).

Indy Right now they're the two seed because of strength of victory over Baltimore. With a SD loss, and a Baltimore and an Indy win, Indy will be the one seed, but with a loss, Indy could fall to the third seed and lose a first round bye.

If you're an Indy fan, this week you're rooting for one of a few things. First: You need to win. Second: Baltimore needs to win and SD needs to lose, or third: If you need some comfort, Baltimore needs to lose, and SD needs to lose.

Baltimore is currently the third seed, and if they finish with the same record as the Chargers, will move ahead of them by beating them head to head.

If you're a Baltimore fan, this week you're rooting for Seattle (Playing SD).

New England is currently the fourth seed. They haven't yet wrapped up their division, but only need a win, OR a Jets loss to clinch the last two weeks.

So if you're a Patriots fan, this week you're rooting for: Miami (Playing the Jets).

Denver is currently the fifth seed, but it doesn't matter at all.
    Here's how it goes: If Denver wins out, they're guaranteed the fifth seed. If Denver beats Cincinnati this week, they're all but guaranteed a spot in the playoffs, even if they lose to San Fransisco. (Not definite YET, but could be definite by the end of the week.) It gets a lot easier to still make the playoffs if the Jets, Jags, and Chiefs all lose this week too.

So, If you are a Bronco fan, this week you're rooting for a few teams: BRONCOS (Playing Cincy.) MIAMI (vs. Jets) OAKLAND (Yes, and root hard, vs. KC), and finally NEW ENGLAND (vs. Jax). That pretty much covers it

Now, IF we do lose to Cincy, we would still be the sixth seed if everything else on that list happened, but our strength of victory may keep us out if Tennessee or Buffalo wins out.

Cincinnati is the sixth seed right now, but again, that doesn't matter. If they beat Denver, they are in a good spot. But they aren't safe if they lose to the Steelers in week 17.

So, If you're a Bengals fan, in Week 16, you're rooting for: CINCY (against us), Miami (Jets), New England (Jax), and a TIE in the Buffalo-Tennessee game .

Who The IN THE HUNT teams are rooting for:

Jets: Just the Jets...You need New England to lose if you want to win the division, but you need Jax to lose to move up in the playoff race. Also rooting for anything BUT a tie in the Denver-Cincy game.

Jax: Miami, and anything but a tie in the Denver-Cincy game.

MATCH-UPS if the season ended today:

wild card Week

Denver @ New England (prediction: Denver 24, New England 21 OT)

Cincinnati @ Baltimore (Prediction: Cincy 27, Baltimore 21)

Divisional Week:

Cincy @ SD (Prediction: SD 49, Cincy 45)

Den @ Indy (Prediction: Indy 31, Den 17)

Championship Week:

Indy @ SD (Prediction: SD 34, Indy 21).

Predicted AFC Champ: San Diego.

All match-ups, EXCEPT for Wild-Card week, are based on my predictions for results from Wild Card week if the season ended today.

Scenarios

DENVER Can clinch a playoff spot this week with a win and a KC loss & A Jax OR Jets loss.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by RunYouOver; 12-20-2006, 01:43 PM.
    Administrator

sigpic

Originally posted by RunYouOver
    Alright, hopefully this can get a sticky, look for this to be the biggest if the season ended today thread I've made. This has every scenario, seed, explanation, prediction, what to root for, and specific team needs, that you could imagine. Well at least all I have time for.

Note: For those of you only interested in Denver, I made everything about Denver a bigger size.

This is only the AFC, since this may take an hour or so as it is.

So without further delay, here's how the AFC looks RIGHT now.

Would be in the playoffs if the season ended today
    1. y-San Diego 12-2
    2. y-Indy 11-3
    3. y-Baltimore 11-3
    4. New England 10-4
    5. Denver 8-6 (1st WC)
    6. Cincinnati 8-6 (2nd WC)

Right in the Hunt
    7. Jacksonville 8-6
    8. New York Jets 8-6

Still in contention, but need some help
    9. Buffalo 7-7
    10. Tennessee 7-7
    11. Pittsburgh 7-7
    12. Kansas City 7-7

Y= Clinched Division

Explanations--only of Those In the Hunt, or currently in.
    SD is first with the best record in the NFL.

Indy is second because they have a better strength of Victory then Baltimore. (No head-to-head matchups, equal conference record)

Baltimore is third. (See Indy).

New England is fourth because they have the worst record among division leaders.

Denver is fifth because among the four 8-6 AFC non division leading teams, they have the best Conference record.
    Note: Cincy is 6-4 and Denver is 7-4, but none of this matters...if we beat Cincy next week we automatically finish with a better seed than them, and if they beat us next week, they automatically finish with a better seeding than us. In other words, we need to win.

Cincy is sixth (see Denver), and they have a better conference record than Jax and NY Jets.

Jacksonville is seventh because they have a worse conference record than Denver and Cincy, and they beat the Jets head-to-head.

NY Jets are eighth. (See Denver, Cincy, and Jacksonville.)

What each team needs to root for.

San DiegoThey are currently the first seed, but if they lose and Indy and Baltimore both win, they would immediately drop to the third seed, and lose the first round bye because Baltimore has the tiebreaker over them, and Indy over Baltimore.

If you're a SD fan, This week you're rooting for: Houston (Playing Indy) and Pittsburgh (Playing Baltimore).

Indy Right now they're the two seed because of strength of victory over Baltimore. With a SD loss, and a Baltimore and an Indy win, Indy will be the one seed, but with a loss, Indy could fall to the third seed and lose a first round bye.

If you're an Indy fan, this week you're rooting for one of a few things. First: You need to win. Second: Baltimore needs to win and SD needs to lose, or third: If you need some comfort, Baltimore needs to lose, and SD needs to lose.

Baltimore is currently the third seed, and if they finish with the same record as the Chargers, will move ahead of them by beating them head to head.

If you're a Baltimore fan, this week you're rooting for Seattle (Playing SD).

New England is currently the fourth seed. They haven't yet wrapped up their division, but only need a win, OR a Jets loss to clinch the last two weeks.

So if you're a Patriots fan, this week you're rooting for: Miami (Playing the Jets).

Denver is currently the fifth seed, but it doesn't matter at all.
    Here's how it goes: If Denver wins out, they're guaranteed the fifth seed. If Denver beats Cincinnati this week, they're all but guaranteed a spot in the playoffs, even if they lose to San Fransisco. (Not definite YET, but could be definite by the end of the week.) It gets a lot easier to still make the playoffs if the Jets, Jags, and Chiefs all lose this week too.

So, If you are a Bronco fan, this week you're rooting for a few teams: BRONCOS (Playing Cincy.) MIAMI (vs. Jets) OAKLAND (Yes, and root hard, vs. KC), and finally NEW ENGLAND (vs. Jax). That pretty much covers it :

Now, IF we do lose to Cincy, we would still be the sixth seed if everything else on that list happened, but our strength of victory may keep us out if Tennessee or Buffalo wins out.

Cincinnati is the sixth seed right now, but again, that doesn't matter. If they beat Denver, they are in a good spot. But they aren't safe if they lose to the Steelers in week 17.

So, If you're a Bengals fan, in Week 16, you're rooting for: CINCY (against us), Miami (Jets), New England (Jax), and a TIE in the Buffalo-Tennessee game .

Who The IN THE HUNT teams are rooting for:

Jets: Just the Jets...You need New England to lose if you want to win the division, but you need Jax to lose to move up in the playoff race. Also rooting for anything BUT a tie in the Denver-Cincy game.

Jax: Miami, and anything but a tie in the Denver-Cincy game.

MATCH-UPS if the season ended today:

wild card Week

Denver @ New England (prediction: Denver 24, New England 21 OT)

Cincinnati @ Baltimore (Prediction: Cincy 27, Baltimore 21)

Divisional Week:

Cincy @ SD (Prediction: SD 49, Cincy 45)

Den @ Indy (Prediction: Indy 31, Den 17)

Championship Week:

Indy @ SD (Prediction: SD 34, Indy 21).

Predicted AFC Champ: San Diego.

All match-ups, EXCEPT for Wild-Card week, are based on my predictions for results from Wild Card week if the season ended today.

Scenarios

--To be added to this later in the week.

Enjoy!
    I would probably be in attendance at the game and it would be great to silence those fans

Also It would be nice too see them all lining up on the Tobin Bridge

CP when they replenish
    and the Cincy over Baltimore would aggravate Rayray
    NHL Blog at:NHL Blog by Medford Bronco!

Comment

Thanks for the post! I'm still trying to get a grasp on all this. What would have to happen for us to get NE - Balt - SD - superbowl? Is that a possible scenario?
      sigpic

Thank you for everything Darrent. I'll never forget #27.

Comment

Originally posted by Astrass
        Thanks for the post! I'm still trying to get a grasp on all this. What would have to happen for us to get NE - Balt - SD - superbowl? Is that a possible scenario?
        Here's how, and it's pretty complicated :

New England would be the 4 seed, and us the fifth, and cincy the 6th...so

If we win out, we'll start @ New England.

If Baltimore gets the second seed, meaning Indy and Baltimore win out and SD loses one more, then with Cincy beating SD as the third seed, and us beating New England as the fifth seed, we'd go to baltimore (the 2 seed), and Cincy would go to Indy.

Then SD would already be elminated.

So if Indy wins 1 of 2, and San Diego wins 1 of 2, and Baltimore Wins out, then Baltimore's the one seed, SD the 2, and Indy the three. THEN us beating the Patriots as the fifth, and Indy Beats Cincy as the third. THEN we'd go to baltimore while SD plays Indy, then we could beat Baltimore and if SD wins, we'd play SD.

Not very likely, but possible. Damn that took some thinking!
        Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Can this get a sticky please?

I think a lot of people may find this info handy during the week.
          Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Here's how, and it's pretty complicated :

New England would be the 4 seed, and us the fifth, and cincy the 6th...so

If we win out, we'll start @ New England.

If Baltimore gets the second seed, meaning Indy and Baltimore win out and SD loses one more, then with Cincy beating SD as the third seed, and us beating New England as the fifth seed, we'd go to baltimore (the 2 seed), and Cincy would go to Indy.

Then SD would already be elminated.

So if Indy wins 1 of 2, and San Diego wins 1 of 2, and Baltimore Wins out, then Baltimore's the one seed, SD the 2, and Indy the three. THEN us beating the Patriots as the fifth, and Indy Beats Cincy as the third. THEN we'd go to baltimore while SD plays Indy, then we could beat Baltimore and if SD wins, we'd play SD.

Not very likely, but possible. Damn that took some thinking!

Hmm ok....

1. Ind
            2. Balt
            3. Sd
            4. NE

5. Den
            6. Cin

WC week:__________Div Playoff_______ AFC Champ

4. NE------------------------- BALT
            ---------->---- Den------------------>-- DEN
            5. DEN ---------------------- DEN
            -------------------------------------------------->-- DEN
            3. SD ------------------------ IND
            ---------->---- SD-------------------->-- SD
            6. CIN ----------------------- SD

YA?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Astrass
              Hmm ok....

1. Ind
              2. Balt
              3. Sd
              4. NE

5. Den
              6. Cin

WC week:__________Div Playoff_______ AFC Champ

4. NE------------------------- BALT
              ---------->---- Den------------------>-- DEN
              5. DEN ---------------------- DEN
              -------------------------------------------------->-- DEN
              3. SD ------------------------ IND
              ---------->---- SD-------------------->-- SD
              6. CIN ----------------------- SD

YA?
              Not quite:

1. Baltimore
              2. SD
              3. Indy
              4. New England
              5. Denver
              6. Anyone

WC Week:

Denver @ New England

Anyone @ Indy

Divisional week:

Denver @ Baltimore

Indy @ SD

Championship Week:

Denver @ SD

Superbowl: Denver

That's how it'd have to go.
              Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Not quite:

1. Baltimore
                2. SD
                3. Indy
                4. New England
                5. Denver
                6. Anyone

WC Week:

Denver @ New England

Anyone @ Indy

Divisional week:

Denver @ Baltimore

Indy @ SD

Championship Week:

Denver @ SD

Superbowl: Denver

That's how it'd have to go.
                Ah ok, I got ya. Thanks =P
                sigpic

Comment

Hah have to spread CP around =P I owe ya one.
                  sigpic

Comment

Also guys, feel free to add any of your own comments or questions, questions like Astrass's what would have to happen to play so and so opponents in the playoffs.
                    Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Great breakdown as always.

While I obviously want the Broncos in as the fifth seed, I would love to see Buffalo win out and the other 7-7 and 8-6 teams lose, and have Buffalo in as the 6th seed.

Because, if Denver doesn't make it to the SB, then I will have to root for Bufffalo, as I am sitting with a ticket I picked up before the season which is 80-1 for Buffalo to win the SB. It is probably still 80-1, as they are still big longshots, but if they somehow managed to pull off a miracle, it would be worth a few bucks to me.
                      The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tnedator
                        Great breakdown as always.

While I obviously want the Broncos in as the fifth seed, I would love to see Buffalo win out and the other 7-7 and 8-6 teams lose, and have Buffalo in as the 6th seed.

Because, if Denver doesn't make it to the SB, then I will have to root for Bufffalo, as I am sitting with a ticket I picked up before the season which is 80-1 for Buffalo to win the SB. It is probably still 80-1, as they are still big longshots, but if they somehow managed to pull off a miracle, it would be worth a few bucks to me.

Thanks tned.

Wouldn't it be something if Buffalo wound up beating Indy? I could see it now; McGahee rushes for 225 yards and 3 td as Buffalo shocks the colts 35-31.
                        Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Watch us get the wildcard then have to go to Indy in the first round. That would be proof that God really hates the Broncos.

Comment

Formula for the Broncos making the play offs

undefinedundefinedundefined

Excellent post on play off senerios. NFL.COM or SI.COM couldn't have done better. Of course winning the last two games is what is best for the Broncos, but can they still get the #5 seed if they beat Cinncy and lose to SF? I'm going to be the optomist here and say we win out. I think we can beat NE in the playoff's and I also think Indy can be had. Cinncy screwed up against Indy last night by trying to make the run work first. The only way to beat Peyton Manning is get into an air war with him and hope you have more points than he does when the final whistle blows.

Comment

Thanks tned.

Wouldn't it be something if Buffalo wound up beating Indy? I could see it now; McGahee rushes for 225 yards and 3 td as Buffalo shocks the colts 35-31.
                              And after wupping Dallas in the SB, I fly out to Las Vegas to pickup my $2835 from my $35 ticket bought back on Labor day. LOL

Now, that's only if the Broncos are eliminated. I will gladly pass on that $2800 pay day to see the Broncos holding up that purty silver trophy once again.
                              The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X