Illegal blocks during Dante's TD punt return rehash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illegal blocks during Dante's TD punt return rehash

First off, I'm NOT creating this thread to moan and groan about that play. It happened, legit or not, and it's over and done with.

I was just responding to another post about Hall when it occured to me exactly why the Broncos fans are having such trouble letting go of that play:

If the refs make the call on either clip, the Broncos probably win (not 100% sure, but most likely) and we then have the following situation:

Current standings:

Chiefs : 8 - 2
    Broncos : 7 - 3

We go from a three game Chiefs lead to just a single game lead. And the Chiefs still have to play us back in Denver which, if both teams win their next 2 games, would means the Broncos would gain the division lead with the victory due to the tie-break edge.

Man, what a difference in the season!
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Though we can't bring it back

Would of, should of, could of, though your right Jav, i don't like to think that way cause then if that's the case. if ahman green doesn't fumble in overtime or green bay doesn't lose their big lead in the 4th qt the chiefs lose or if phillip buchannon doesn't muff that punt in oakland the chiefs don't score and all the raiders have to do is kick a FG to win the game. That's two losses including if the clips were called against the chiefs in that dante hall run against the broncos, that's three losses. so instead of 9-1 they are 6-4 and if the broncos had better clock management they beat the pats and the broncos are 7-3 but it's a lot of what ifs javalon and we can't change the past so the broncos make the playoffs and we avenge the past.
    Bronco fan 33 years and counting, GO BRONCOS!

Comment

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....let it go you all. Broncos still got a good shot at the playoffs.

Comment

Ok, where's the picture of the block in the back. It was posted in another thread and I can't find it. I also could have sworn I saved it on my computer. Could someone please post it agani or let me know where it is.......that one is a keeper.

Comment

Your not talkng to me chiefs meng right?

I don't dwell in the past and especially that one play because there are so many other plays that could have been different but that's not going to change the chiefs or denver's record so I don't care about that play.
          Bronco fan 33 years and counting, GO BRONCOS!

Comment

Re: Illegal blocks during Dante's TD punt return rehash

Originally posted by Javalon
            First off, I'm NOT creating this thread to moan and groan about that play. It happened, legit or not, and it's over and done with.

I was just responding to another post about Hall when it occured to me exactly why the Broncos fans are having such trouble letting go of that play:

If the refs make the call on either clip, the Broncos probably win (not 100% sure, but most likely) and we then have the following situation:

Current standings:

Chiefs : 8 - 2
            Broncos : 7 - 3

We go from a three game Chiefs lead to just a single game lead. And the Chiefs still have to play us back in Denver which, if both teams win their next 2 games, would means the Broncos would gain the division lead with the victory due to the tie-break edge.

Man, what a difference in the season!
            I don't think you can automatically assume Denver wins if KC doesn't get the touchdown any more than I could assume KC would have driven the length of the field to score a touchdown anyway. That wold be like automatically assuming the Chiefs would have beaten the Broncos in the 97 playoffs if the Broncos had been forced to remove all the vasoline from their jerseys.

Point is, there's no way of knowing or proving the point.

There's an old saying in the NFL that "You are what you are." Right now, the Chiefs are 9-1 and Broncos are 6-4 and in a couple of weeks that could all change (either way). We'll see.
            Despite all the hype, once you finally get a hammer, you don't hammer nearly as much as you think you will.

Comment

Re: Re: Illegal blocks during Dante's TD punt return rehash

Originally posted by ReasonableChief
              I don't think you can automatically assume Denver wins if KC doesn't get the touchdown any more than I could assume KC would have driven the length of the field to score a touchdown anyway. That wold be like automatically assuming the Chiefs would have beaten the Broncos in the 97 playoffs if the Broncos had been forced to remove all the vasoline from their jerseys.

There's an old saying in the NFL that "You are what you are." Right now, the Chiefs are 9-1 and Broncos are 6-4 and in a couple of weeks that could all change (either way). We'll see.
              Stop being so damn reasonable..........

Comment

Re: Re: Illegal blocks during Dante's TD punt return rehash

As I stated initially, I did not start this thread to complain about the outcome. I am trying to explain why so many fans can't get over it.

And I didn't say the Broncos would have won the game, I said it was most likely they would have won. I base that on KC's struggles to move the ball against Denver's defense and the field position that would have resulted.

Grrr...As I said, I was not trying to stir up the whole issue again. It had just dawned on me why the Broncos fans can't let it go and how crucial that small turn of events could turn out to be.
                ------

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Illegal blocks during Dante's TD punt return rehash

Originally posted by Javalon
                  As I stated initially, I did not start this thread to complain about the outcome. I am trying to explain why so many fans can't get over it.

And I didn't say the Broncos would have won the game, I said it was most likely they would have won. I base that on KC's struggles to move the ball against Denver's defense and the field position that would have resulted.

Grrr...As I said, I was not trying to stir up the whole issue again. It had just dawned on me why the Broncos fans can't let it go and how crucial that small turn of events could turn out to be.
                  You've got a point. It takes time to get over things like that ... I'm not sure you ever forget. By the same token, I hope you understand that some people don't want to dwell on things that can't be changed. Furthermore, there's nothing that can be done to prevent such things in the future (well, unless they come up with an instant replay system that has officials pouring over every play looking for penalties & overturning calls; welcome to the 6-hour game).

Just out of curiosity (I honestly don't know the answer): Did the league ever notify the Broncos that it was a blown call? I know they have been known to do such things, but I hadn't heard of it in this case.
                  Despite all the hype, once you finally get a hammer, you don't hammer nearly as much as you think you will.

Comment

It was a difficult play to let go of. Who knows what the outcome would have been if the penalty was called. But it is history and we move on.

Besides, come December 7th, all will be forgotten when we kick the crap out of the Chefs.

GO BRONCOS!!
                    :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Illegal blocks during Dante's TD punt return rehash

Just out of curiosity (I honestly don't know the answer): Did the league ever notify the Broncos that it was a blown call? I know they have been known to do such things, but I hadn't heard of it in this case.
                      Im sure there would have been 10 threads about it the first day. I'm going to assume it never happened.
                      Suck is NOT a bronco fan.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Illegal blocks during Dante's TD punt return rehash

Originally posted by cheapseats
                        Im sure there would have been 10 threads about it the first day. I'm going to assume it never happened.
                        Only 10?

That was kind of my assumption, but I hadn't heard anything concrete either way.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Illegal blocks during Dante's TD punt return rehash

You've got a point. It takes time to get over things like that ... I'm not sure you ever forget. By the same token, I hope you understand that some people don't want to dwell on things that can't be changed. Furthermore, there's nothing that can be done to prevent such things in the future (well, unless they come up with an instant replay system that has officials pouring over every play looking for penalties & overturning calls; welcome to the 6-hour game).
                          Hey, I'm over it and I have been for a while. I try not to even mention it in any of my responses concerning that game. And I definitely wasn't trying to stir things up again with this post.

You're quite right that we can't start reviewing penalties. Even though I'd like it on occasion, too many penalties are pure judgment calls and the others would just take up too much time, as you said.
                          ------

Comment

Working...
                          X