next years offensive line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• next years offensive line

assuming that matt lepsis comes back healthy what would the O-Line look like? left tackle-Eric Pears Left guard-Ben Hamilton Center-Tom Nalen or possibly greg enslinger? right guard-Cooper Carlyle and at right tackle-matt Lepsis,what to do with George Foster ? tell him to lose some weight and maybe he will do better pass blocking or do they flat out cut him? he could still be a valuable back up. it looks like an interesting scenario and i expect one or two free agents to make the team next year also so at least they are developing some depth.

Lepsis-Hamilton-Nails-Kuper-Pears(?)

Too soon, D-Will, too soon.

Comment

Why would Lep become the right tackle when he is one of the best Left tackles in the league when healthy? And this isn't just me thinkin that FO says so too.
      Bronco fan from Packer Land.
      Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
      Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

He wouldn't.

Originally posted by JoRo
        Why would Lep become the right tackle when he is one of the best Left tackles in the league when healthy? And this isn't just me thinkin that FO says so too.
        The only way Lepsis isn't our starting LT next year is if he retires; if a guy gets past the LT the QB's blindsided, and get hurt/fumbles a LOT.
        Originally posted by Inkana7
        Lepsis-Hamilton-Nails-Kuper-Pears(?)
        That seems to be the consensus; I just hope Kuper is ready. People rave about him and Myers both, but I've seen Carlisle out there every down for four months straight, bad as he is. I'm hoping it's just that the other two haven't fully learned our very complicated zone blocking system, which demands more of guards, at least in run blocking, than anyone. But Myers is supposed to be a "your position here" lineman, yet with twice the time Kuper has as a Bronco he's still not starting. Nalen's been at center for 15 years; he won't play forever, and unless Myers, Kuper or Eslinger is ready to go the moment he leaves Hamilton's our new center and we need two guards. If Will Shields is as unhappy as the Whispers say, I'd give him a call, though I don't know what kind of cap room we have.

We've got Lepsis and Pears plus a steady backup in Meadows, or, if Pears isn't ready to play RT like he was drafted to do, Meadows at RT and Lepsis at LT, with Pears possessing the experience to adequately backup both. I might draft a tackle late so we have someone to develop if Lepsis retires in a few years, but unless Foster can make that rumored move to guard we've got real problems there even if Nalen's back, and we're in BIG trouble if he retires and either Myers or Kuper isn't ready to go. I'm hoping the rumors are true and we can have a great pulling guard in Hamilton plus a 338 lb. mountain at RG who won't move when DTs push him and will move them well with line surge on running downs. Otherwise... well, I just don't know. Even if we go after a FA our zone blocking is complicated, and we obviously can't throw a draft pick in there immediately or I think Kuper or Myers would be in Carlisles place.
        Last edited by Morambar; 12-28-2006, 08:41 PM.
        SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

Comment

Originally posted by richardthebronco
          assuming that matt lepsis comes back healthy what would the O-Line look like? left tackle-Eric Pears Left guard-Ben Hamilton Center-Tom Nalen or possibly greg enslinger? right guard-Cooper Carlyle and at right tackle-matt Lepsis,what to do with George Foster ? tell him to lose some weight and maybe he will do better pass blocking or do they flat out cut him? he could still be a valuable back up. it looks like an interesting scenario and i expect one or two free agents to make the team next year also so at least they are developing some depth.

How is it possible to post without registering?? I'm confused.

As far as the O-line goes, the draft is the key way to add depth to it, which is what we need. I think the only guy not going to be here next season is Foster, maybe Eslinger if he doesn't show improvement or strength. Lepsis, Nalen, Hamilton, and Carlisle will be back.

Comment

Originally posted by Morambar
            The only way Lepsis isn't our starting LT next year is if he retires; if a guy gets past the LT the QB's blindsided, and get hurt/fumbles a LOT.

That seems to be the consensus; I just hope Kuper is ready. People rave about him and Myers both, but I've seen Carlisle out there every down for four months straight, bad as he is. I'm hoping it's just that the other two haven't fully learned our very complicated zone blocking system, which demands more of guards, at least in run blocking, than anyone. But Myers is supposed to be a "your position here" lineman, yet with twice the time Kuper has as a Bronco he's still not starting. And Nalen's been at center for 15 years; he won't play forever, and unless Myers, Kuper or Eslinger is ready to go the moment he leaves Hamilton's our new center and we need two guards. If Will Shields is as unhappy as the Whispers say, I'd give him a call, though I don't know what kind of cap room we have.

We've got Lepsis and Pears plus a steady backup in Meadows, or, if Pears isn't ready to play RT like he was drafted to do, Meadows at RT and Lepsis at LT, with Pears possessing the experience to adequately backup both. I might draft a tackle late so we have someone to develop if Lepsis retires in a few years, but unless Foster can make that rumored move to guard we've got real problems there even if Nalen's back, and we're in BIG trouble if he retires and either Myers or Kuper isn't ready to go. I'm hoping the rumors are true and we can have a great pulling guard in Hamilton plus a 338 lb. mountain at RG who won't move when DTs push him and will move them well with line surge on running downs. Otherwise... well, I just don't know. Even if we go after a FA our zone blocking is complicated, and we obviously can't throw a draft pick in there immediately or I think Kuper or Myers would be in Carlisles place.

Will Shields is great in KC, but im not sure hes the right type of guy for our blocking system. regardless, if george foster never took another snap in a bronco uniform, i would sleep well at night. the guy is just terrible, and he is not fast enough at even guard for us. yes, thats right, too slow to be a guard, the guy is just awful. ughh

My 2007 Adopt a Broncos are Brandon Marshall and Erica Weston

Comment

He may be back, but...

Originally posted by tommy1986
              How is it possible to post without registering?? I'm confused.

As far as the O-line goes, the draft is the key way to add depth to it, which is what we need. I think the only guy not going to be here next season is Foster, maybe Eslinger if he doesn't show improvement or strength. Lepsis, Nalen, Hamilton, and Carlisle will be back.
              I don't see Carlisle starting. He doesn't get us yards in the running game and he does give us sacks (I believe he had two Sunday; I KNOW he had one. ) Hence my concerns about Kuper and Myers; I know they're young, but, for whatever reason, if they were ready to start I'm pretty sure they would be. They're not. So the question becomes, even if we get Lepsis, Nalen and Meadows back, who do we put in Carlisles spot, and the corollary question is who do we have if one of our guards (or center) gets hurt? I'd like to again be able to run to the right as well as we run left.

Comment

Yeah, I wondered about that, too.

Originally posted by TheFuture6
                Will Shields is great in KC, but im not sure hes the right type of guy for our blocking system. regardless, if george foster never took another snap in a bronco uniform, i would sleep well at night. the guy is just terrible, and he is not fast enough at even guard for us. yes, thats right, too slow to be a guard, the guy is just awful. ughh
                Whether Shields could be as good in our system, I mean. But there and with regards to Foster I find myself wondering "do we NEED two pulling guards, or is one good enough if the other's big enough to give us a good line surge?" Maybe it's just wishful thinking; I'm desperate for a better guard than Carlisle and all we've got is a rookie and a sophomore....

Comment

I think I'd tip Myers to go in at RG (although I think he's a more natural LG. But whatever). It'll be interesting how that pans out...we've got a hell of a lot of young talent around and it could get highly competitive. I give Myers the edge simply because he's had more time in the system than Kuper. Although Kuper will definitely start one day. I'd also prefer either of those two to George Foster moving in at guard...we've got to get our future starters some experience.

Nalen probably has 1-2 seasons left in him I'd say. I think that our future at centre lies with Greg Eslinger, apparently he could pass himself off as Nalen's clone. Pears will probably take Foster's place. Hmm. I think at the end of this season George will become expendable. Tbh he was never the best fit for here and he's never really adjusted. Oh well.

So. It's highly intriguing. Potentially we've got a highly talented young O-Line corps in Myers-Eslinger-Kuper and then we'll have Pears on the right. Not sure about LT though, but I think finding a good talent there in this draft would be wise. Of course, the problem here is that Hamilton is edged out. But its an exciting thought that we have young talent who could actually push him out.
                  sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Originally posted by richardthebronco
                    From what I have heard the Broncos will move Pears to RT and Carlisle will be replaced by Kuper or Eslinger or they might move Foster in to the G spot which I find kind of intrigueing. They are also very high on Meyers.

I'm sure they will draft another OL too.

Comment

I think they'll probably draft a T, but i'd be surprised if they go for a G/C.
                      sigpic

Comment

I would like to see Foster move to guard, and don't be surprised to see that. You probably haven't seen Kuper, because he likely still learning the system (its complicated). Kuper is very talented.

LT -Lepsis - His health is the key to this equation
                        LG- Hamilton
                        C Nalen
                        RG - Foster or Kuper
                        RT - Pears

Comment

Originally posted by Morambar

That seems to be the consensus; I just hope Kuper is ready. People rave about him and Myers both, but I've seen Carlisle out there every down for four months straight, bad as he is. I'm hoping it's just that the other two haven't fully learned our very complicated zone blocking system, which demands more of guards, at least in run blocking, than anyone. But Myers is supposed to be a "your position here" lineman, yet with twice the time Kuper has as a Bronco he's still not starting. Nalen's been at center for 15 years; he won't play forever, and unless Myers, Kuper or Eslinger is ready to go the moment he leaves Hamilton's our new center and we need two guards. If Will Shields is as unhappy as the Whispers say, I'd give him a call, though I don't know what kind of cap room we have.

I could be wrong but I don't think ( actually I KNOW ) that Chris isn't starting because he hasn't learned the complicated blocking system. He isn't starting because Shanny doesn't make changes like that so fast or easily. I think you will see changes in the O line next year. Chris learned the system last year and is ready to step up when his number is called. It is my view during certain games, each and every lineman had troubles this year at some point. The run blocking was horrible and pass blocking even worse. You can come up with 20 reasons why that occured but to me it is due to the line not working together and communicating. A few vets may be near the end of their careers and we have the talant for our back up's to step in . I think assuming the draft will fix our line is off base. You need to be involved with this system for a time period before you could expect to be a starter. Thats how I see it. Good or bad.

sig by Snk16

sig by White Dragon

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed...every morning a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a lion or a gazelle...when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."

Comment

Great post. Would give you some CP love but the thing isn't functioning on this thread

No one on the O line this season had a large amount of playing time in their first season. Some of them came on in their second, but you must have a lot of sideline time to start on this line. Whether you're a 1st rounder or undrafted, it matters not.

I'd like to see Chris come in now that he has a year under his belt...considering how inconsistent the blocking up front has been this season it'd be interesting to see how he does. I think the main reason for the line's sudden inconsistency (as well as not having a power runner who can burst out of the backfield thus disguising the O-line's mistakes) compared to recent years is that they're entering a transition right now. Yes, it's the same line as last year...but the circumstances are different. Lepsis went down (and Pears has done an excellent job in his stead) and Foster and Carlisle are both on the bubble and have better prospects ready to come in for them next year. So I think the chemistry of the line has been reduced a little.

The transition will probably take about 1-2 more seasons I'd say. Nalen and Lepsis will retire within that time (actually Lepsis may be able to do 3...). In that time one player will need to emerge as the O-Line captain and we need to draft a future LT and nurture them under Lepsis.

Next season I'd look out for Myers and Pears to be promoted to full time starter with Kuper and Eslinger getting some limited PT.
                            sigpic

Comment

Agree with 62, we should not need to draft anyone. We have some real talent that we have drafted in the last 2 years (Myers, Kuper, Eslinger). These guys are our future, and based on their play in the preseason I have huge expectations for them.

The main variable is if Lepsis can not return. In that case you would be better off looking at Free Agents at the LT position.

Comment

Working...
                              X