Rod Smith's run of 70-catch years to end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod Smith's run of 70-catch years to end

I hope he doesnt retire after this season. Here's to you Rod!!

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_4916427

Era closing for record-setter
    Smith's run of 70-catch years to end
    By Mike Klis
    Denver Post Staff Writer
    Article Launched: 12/29/2006 01:00:00 AM MST

A gallon of gas had soared to $1.27 a gallon. Bill Clinton had been elected for his second term as U.S. president. Atlanta hosted the Summer Olympics. The Macarena had taken our nation's wedding receptions by storm.

And Broncomania was still craving its first Super Bowl title.

The year was 1996, the last time Broncos receiver Rod Smith had less than 70 catches.

In the next nine seasons, Smith averaged 86 catches, never recording less than 70, topping out at 113, and hauling in 85 as recently as last season.

The streak of 70-catch seasons, however, is about to end. Entering the Broncos' final regular-season game Sunday against San Francisco, Smith has 47 receptions. No receiver, not even Jerry Rice, ever had a 23-catch game.

"Nowhere close to what I'm used to," Smith said. "It's been different. I wouldn't say ... I'll just say it's been different. But one year I had 100-some catches and we had a terrible year."

He was speaking about 2001, when he had his career-high 113 receptions, but the Broncos finished 8-8. This year's Broncos are 9-6 and can reach the playoffs for a franchise-record fourth consecutive season if they beat the 49ers at Invesco Field at Mile High.

"Sometimes when you catch a ton of passes, it means you're down a lot, and you have to throw," Smith said. "It's nice when you can have a balance. Guys like Marvin (Harrison) and those guys, sometimes you can get, not jealous, but envious of them because they catch a ton of balls, but their team still wins games. But the ultimate prize is the Super Bowl, and that's what I have and they don't."

Indeed, so much has happened for Smith since 1996. The Broncos won back-to-back Super Bowls. Smith became the Broncos' all-time leading receiver in every major category. And he continues to work on a consecutive-game reception streak, which is at 123 entering Sunday.

But his run of 70-catch seasons will stop at nine, just short Tim Brown's record of 10.

"I never knew that record existed," Smith said. "It's one of those things where people talk about it with me, and I'm like, 'Oh really?' I've got to be happy with what I've got. Of course I always want the ball. You want it 20 times a game, but it's not going to happen."
    sigpic

Well, I guess he will just have to catch 23 tomorrow.....that would be a record, right?

Comment

Originally posted by sneakers
      Well, I guess he will just have to catch 23 tomorrow.....that would be a record, right?
      It's never happened before.....but I guess there's a first time for everything right?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chidoze
        I hope he doesnt retire after this season. Here's to you Rod!!
        Why? Personally, I like to see players go out before they disgrace themselves (eg Jerry Rice). He clearly has lost a step, and I think it's time. But I salute him as one of the best Broncos of all-time and I'll always remember him fondly.
        Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by DancingHorsey
          Why? Personally, I like to see players go out before they disgrace themselves (eg Jerry Rice). He clearly has lost a step, and I think it's time. But I salute him as one of the best Broncos of all-time and I'll always remember him fondly.
          I dunno. I just dont like to see the great ones go.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DancingHorsey
            Jerry had an decent closing to his career. He really didnt care after he started slipping. He just played the game the way he wanted to.

Rod could have retired last year, I think he'll retire when he thinks its time to hang it up.

He's probably still debating about if he should, (I dont know maybe?) but if Rod has to go Hope he goes off riding into the sunset.
            McDaniles Career as a failure of a Head Coach is being fulfilled. Termination of McFailure has happen.

Rejoice Bronco Fans we have taken our team back, but at a heavy cost.

Comment

I have a feeling that the old guard are all going to hang it up at the same time...Burns, Nalen and Smith. Hopefully that won't be for another season or two.
              sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Rod wont retire. I say 1 year more maybe 2. Rod is a team player. He needs to be around to get Marshall, Kircus etc. going for their second year. By their third year he will probably be ready to retire. I say READY not quite retire yet. Another thing, if these rookies (Marshall, Scheff, Cutler and Dumerville) play to their potential, I say Superbowl run next year or the year after.

Rod aint gonna reitre unless:
                1. He can't physically play anymore
                2. We start to rebuild (Highly unlikely)

As long as we makea serious push to the SB he'll stay. Anybody would.

Always remember to blow out the flame before drinking!!!!

Comment

I don't think he's lost as much of a step as people think. I think it had more to do with our QB being unable to accurately deliver the ball all over the field. I think Rod has another season left in him. =)

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickdaDookie
                    I don't think he's lost as much of a step as people think. I think it had more to do with our QB being unable to accurately deliver the ball all over the field. I think Rod has another season left in him. =)
                    Sorry, but even with Cutler he's not getting thrown to because he rarely gets open. Maybe he'll bounce back next year, but I have my doubts.
                    Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

if rod doesnt mind being a mentor to marshall and javon and the others while also being a #3 reciever behind javon and marshall then he should stay, he has been great for so long but even the greatest cant beat age, at this point he is nothing more then a 3 reciever..... but with all his knowledge and work ethic i would like him to stay another year to "groom" our youngsters

Comment

I see 80 going to Shanahan and asking him what if he felt that A: if he has a chance to even make the team and B: if he is going to be able to contribute. Rod seems like a type of guy that wants to play more than anything but the last thing he wants is a sympathy vote to be one of the 53 players tha suit up. I think rod can still run one of the most precise routes on the team nd with a different type of role he could still be very effective for the next couple of years. I see shanahan telling him that we need him and we will see him sited up wearing 80 for at least one more year, and if we are close to winning him a third ring, he might be out here for two...

Comment

HUGE GOAL to be better

This guy is all about goal and task management not to mention being a star!

I don't see him quitting until Cutler is settled down into the shoes of Elway

I give him three more years, maybe 2. For sure next year

Oh yea, happy new year all of ya bronc fans
                          Underneath this Flabby Exterior is a huge lack of character...

Comment

He can play another year or two at this rate, he basically ACTED like a #3 receiver this year, he wasnt hit as much b/c he wasnt thrown too as much which means he doesn't have to take stupid un needed injuries like he did in the Pro Bowl a year ago. So this way he's not NEEDING to retire he can just think about it, I give him 2 more years. I really wanted him to get to 100 TD's but with Javon being hot i Doubt we'll see it...

Comment

Originally posted by BarkdogRX7
                              He can play another year or two at this rate, he basically ACTED like a #3 receiver this year, he wasnt hit as much b/c he wasnt thrown too as much which means he doesn't have to take stupid un needed injuries like he did in the Pro Bowl a year ago. So this way he's not NEEDING to retire he can just think about it, I give him 2 more years. I really wanted him to get to 100 TD's but with Javon being hot i Doubt we'll see it...

how many does he have now? How far away is he?

Comment

Working...
                              X