Rules to be changed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules to be changed...

What rules do you think should be changed in this off season?

1. QB rules. I think they are overprotected now it is like you can not touch them these days.
    a. I can understand the below the knees a bit because they can be hurt seriously.
    b. Some of the "blow to the head" are barely touched. I think if it is a blow to the head then that is a different story.
    c. Keep in the grasp out of the rule book let em play on...unless the QB is surely going nowhere with 3 linemen on the QB.

2. Watching some of these games this weekend the clock is still running while the ref is over the ball...and they have to wait for him to get out of the way. If the play is waiting for the refs the clock should stop.

3. Bring back the celebrations as long they are in reason.

4. Get rid of the bye week I hate that...players get paid thousands to millions of dollars for playing 20~25 weeks and you get one off? Come on now!

5. Make the preseason shorter...make it 2 games instead, move the other two weeks into the regular season.

I am sure I missed a few what do you people think??
    Helping rock the Stadium on game day!!!

my big ones in the past were changed this year

but
    i would still think that the defensive pass interferance should not be a spot foul....it is too subjective as it is....we see plays every week where a guy is penelized big yards, and alot of times costing teams games...and the replay showed there was no contact or the offensive guy caused it

if a defense is gonna be penelized sometimes big yards...30-50 yrds + the first down...then the offense should have the some penalty also...15 yards +loss of down

either that or make it reviewable
    sigpic
    when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

qb rules are getting crazy... why doent the nfl just make the qb wear flags like in flag football that way they can protect pretty boys like brady.
      sigpic

sig by B4B6..

Comment

Originally posted by arapaho
        my big ones in the past were changed this year

but
        i would still think that the defensive pass interferance should not be a spot foul....it is too subjective as it is....we see plays every week where a guy is penelized big yards, and alot of times costing teams games...and the replay showed there was no contact or the offensive guy caused it

if a defense is gonna be penelized sometimes big yards...30-50 yrds + the first down...then the offense should have the some penalty also...15 yards +loss of down

either that or make it reviewable

No I think PI should be a spot foul. A CB could just go "If I don't tackle him it will be 50 yards in place of 15 yards!" There is a reason they went to spot fouls.

Now I do believe fouls should be reviewable because they can screw a team just as much as a bad spot or call.
        "Some people in this world make things happen, some people in this world know what happened, but most people wonder what happened."

Comment

Originally posted by LoyalSoldier
          No I think PI should be a spot foul. A CB could just go "If I don't tackle him it will be 50 yards in place of 15 yards!" There is a reason they went to spot fouls.

Now I do believe fouls should be reviewable because they can screw a team just as much as a bad spot or call.

but on the same hand...a wr can see that a defender is gonna interept the ball fifty yards down the field and go and interfere with him...and its ten yard penelty and replay the down....

in the very least it should be somewhat equal....if it is a spot foul , the the offense should also , be penelized with fifteen yards and loss of down....it just doesnt shake out fair

but i think that they should be reviewable at least
          sigpic
          when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Id change "breaking the imaginary goal line" I absolutley hate this rule. I feel a player must have total control to enter the endzone.

Comment

I would change the rule of not being able to challenge penalties. I think the coaches should have 1 challenge (on top of the other 2) that can only be used on a penalty.

I don't mind the QB rules.

I certainly wouldn't get rid of the bye week. It allows players to get much needed rest, get healthy, and see their families. Honestly, the fans can put up with 1 week off of football.

I don't mind the PI penalties.

Comment

i think that the qb rules are fine, they are a little over-protective, but i can't say i ***** too much when its our qb that is taking advantage of those rules.

the rule i hate the worst is the helmet to helmet crap. look, football has always had the "sprearing" rule, which is that you can't lead with your helmet. pretty reasonable rule i think. why though, do they have to go any further then that? i mean, its football, helmets are going to hit against each other and i often see flags when the contact is incidental. i think that they should make that rule a little more clear. you can tell when its done on purpose, and when its just two guys playin football that put thier heads in the same place at the same time. anyhow, thats how i see it.

Dennis Smith/ my all-time favorite Denver Bronco.

props to Snk16 for the sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco4l1fe

1. QB rules. I think they are overprotected now it is like you can not touch them these days.
                  a. I can understand the below the knees a bit because they can be hurt seriously.
                  b. Some of the "blow to the head" are barely touched. I think if it is a blow to the head then that is a different story.
                  c. Keep in the grasp out of the rule book let em play on...unless the QB is surely going nowhere with 3 linemen on the QB.

2. Watching some of these games this weekend the clock is still running while the ref is over the ball...and they have to wait for him to get out of the way. If the play is waiting for the refs the clock should stop.

4. Get rid of the bye week I hate that...players get paid thousands to millions of dollars for playing 20~25 weeks and you get one off? Come on now!

5. Make the preseason shorter...make it 2 games instead, move the other two weeks into the regular season.

Not one of these ideas has a chance in hell of ever being adopted!

Let the QB get hit more? Are you kidding? Those guys are the marqee poster boys for the NFL. No way they're letting them get hurt MORE.

If the rules ever change at all it will be to protect the QB MORE. And all the whining in the world won't change that! The NFL has to protect it's investment. They spend too much money on QBs to let them get their hair mussed unnecessarily!

I actually like #2 though! I would like to see the clock stop immediately after the whistle, and stop whenever the player winds up out of bounds (whether or not forward progress is

But, they want the games to go faster for TV advertisers, so that idea has no chance as well.

I think they ought to allow celebrations, but NFL owners and executives hate them. Why do you think they're called the No Fun League. They are a right-wing corporate business and they don't like celebrations. It just doesn't go with the serious corporate image they like to project.

They'd be happier if all the NFL players acted like directors at a board meeting and shook hands after every good play. A brief hand-shake, nothing too exuberant. No saluting or break-dancing. No pre-planned TD celebrations.

Expect to see MORE idiotic restrictions about celebrating, and expect the refs to be told to enforce more penalties on guys celebrating together. Five years from now it will be a 15 yard penalty for guys bumping chests or pumping their fists more than once!
                  Last edited by Cugel; 01-08-2007, 03:23 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

I think the 'hitting a defenseless receiver' rule is crap. If a receiver is making a play on a ball, then they should be fair game for a defender. I've seen enough acrobatic catches in my time watching football to know that if a receiver can get his fingertips on the football, then he has a serious shot at catching the football, especially in the NFL. A defender shouldn't have to wait for him to come up with the ball to be able to hit him - if the receiver has the ball within his grasp, then let the defender hit him as soon as possible.

I also think the 'helmet to helmet' rule is garbage, as well. I can understand if a defender is lowering his head and using it as a battering ram. But I think that when you're playing a physical game like football, you shouldn't have to worry about your positioning or the other guy's positioning if you're trying to hit a guy.

I have always been dead-set against spot fouls, so I'm all for changing the pass interference rule to either a 5 yard penalty and first down (i.e. holding) or even a 15-yarder and first down.

I would like to see the overtime rule changed, as well. Not like in college, but just to eliminate any chance of a tie. I think after regulation, there should just be a sudden death quarter and whoever scores first wins.

Finally, I think offensive holding should be more loosely enforced, or the guidelines for offensive holding altered. I see way too many minor holding penalties called, and a 10 yard hit for holding just seems too excessive, in my opinion.
                    sigpic

Comment

i agree with most of what you said, they are definitly over protecting the qb's, i dont really care about celebrations because they were getting out of control (but thats espns fault for showing them over and over).

The preseason definitly should be shorter but it doesnt really matter to much, its nice to see some of your backup players for extended time.

I disagree with getting rid of the bye week, i think they could tweek the bye week but I think its a necessary break during the season. helps players stay healthy or get healthy.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730
                        I think the 'hitting a defenseless receiver' rule is crap. If a receiver is making a play on a ball, then they should be fair game for a defender. I've seen enough acrobatic catches in my time watching football to know that if a receiver can get his fingertips on the football, then he has a serious shot at catching the football, especially in the NFL. A defender shouldn't have to wait for him to come up with the ball to be able to hit him - if the receiver has the ball within his grasp, then let the defender hit him as soon as possible.

I also think the 'helmet to helmet' rule is garbage, as well. I can understand if a defender is lowering his head and using it as a battering ram. But I think that when you're playing a physical game like football, you shouldn't have to worry about your positioning or the other guy's positioning if you're trying to hit a guy.

I have always been dead-set against spot fouls, so I'm all for changing the pass interference rule to either a 5 yard penalty and first down (i.e. holding) or even a 15-yarder and first down.

I would like to see the overtime rule changed, as well. Not like in college, but just to eliminate any chance of a tie. I think after regulation, there should just be a sudden death quarter and whoever scores first wins.

Finally, I think offensive holding should be more loosely enforced, or the guidelines for offensive holding altered. I see way too many minor holding penalties called, and a 10 yard hit for holding just seems too excessive, in my opinion.

I think it should be changed to leading with your helmet or something or hittign with the top of your helmet. its definitly not fair when your face mask or the side of your helmet hit another players and you get a 15 yard penalty.

I mostly agree with what u said about holding, but I think the problem is the refs not calling it consistantly. They seem to miss alot of important holding calls during games that make the difference alot of times. THey need to either call it or dont call it
                        sigpic

Comment

Rulz needed to be added

1. If a WR is called for Pass Interference then it should be a spot foul for the Offence meaning.
                          If the ball was thrown 30yards down the Field and if it is Off Pass Interference then the O should be moved back 30yards! or so on!!!

2. I would like to see the Clock stop after a first down is made to reset the Chains, i saw to many times where the O is ready to hike the ball but 3sec roll of the clock why the team is waiting for the Ref. Should be a 5sec pause after a First down.

3. Coach’s should get 2 challenges per game, but if they win a challenge they
                          should not lose a challenge

Lastly the Pu$$y Rule!!!
                          4. Qb’s can’t take a Hit there for Qb’s, are no longer allowed to run the Ball or Be tackled they will now Have flags around their waist, if a flag is pulled off the Qb is down!!

Comment

I dunno, I'm a little sketchy about the QB rules. Yes they are there to protect QB's and yes it's not fair to defenses. QB is the only position in the NFL that is "Babied" so to speak. Why should these guys get special treatment. Do they not put their pants on the same way as the rest of them, one leg at a time? I know the QB position is vital to success in the NFL but, c'mon. I think there is a fine line between protecting the QB and not allowing the opposing defense touch the guy without throwing a flag. Injuries are part of the game. Some of the rules about QB's are neccessary. But not all of them.
                            sigpic

Comment

no way this will happen....the beatings their bodies take they need one week off atlest.

Comment

Working...
                              X