Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coyer to be released (originally posted on the Mane by Taco John)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kaylore
    replied
    Originally posted by TheComeBackKid
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain......ahhh crap looks like I took it in the pooper today. GOD WHY WONT IT LET ME DELETE THAT POST
    Never doubt the powers of the Mane.

Leave a comment:

• TheComeBackKid
    replied
    Originally posted by JRWIZ
    Have not read this thread so If I tread n someones ideas it mean we think alike.

I just posted this on A Masons blog.

About time the change was made perhaps now we can get away from the LB heavily influenced defense and hopefully the new guy can talk Mikey into drafting/acquiring some legit DE's and another BIG DT how nice it would be to have a couple of DT like JAX has. Nothing happens against these hogs.

It has been almost a decade since Mikey got a legit DE/DT in the draft on day one. At least one he liked enough to resign.

While it is nice having good/great LB's the real work is supposed to be done in the trenches.

Coyers seemed inability to make counter defensive adjustments to the oppositions offensive adjustments is what IMHO doomed him. Had a real good initial plan and by games end they would run /pass all over us.

Lets hope Mikey will hire a real DC this time and not some lackey that will be another yes man.
    Well I don't believe the defensive struggles are completely Coyers fault, it would seem that you are correct in that maybe Coyer's priorities were not in the best spot. It is safe to assume that as the former linebacker's coach, he probably did invest a lot into their ability to "bend" and thus built his defensive scheme around it. And lets face it, it worked for awhile.

Going to be interesting to see what happens..good post.

Leave a comment:

• TheComeBackKid
    replied
    Originally posted by ECBronco

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain......ahhh crap looks like I took it in the pooper today. GOD WHY WONT IT LET ME DELETE THAT POST

Leave a comment:

• arapaho
    replied
    Originally posted by JRWIZ
    Have not read this thread so If I tread n someones ideas it mean we think alike.

About time the change was made perhaps now we can get away from the LB heavily influenced defense and hopefully the new guy can talk Mikey into drafting/acquiring some legit DE's and another BIG DT how nice it would be to have a couple of DT like JAX has. Nothing happens against these hogs.

It has been almost a decade since Mikey got a legit DE/DT in the draft on day one. At least one he liked enough to resign.

While it is nice having good/great LB's the real work is supposed to be done in the trenches.

Coyers seemed inability to make counter defensive adjustments to the oppositions offensive adjustments is what IMHO doomed him. Had a real good initial plan and by games end they would run /pass all over us.

Lets hope Mikey will hire a real DC this time and not some lackey that will be another yes man.

i agree it is time for a legit Dt and De To be drafted...it is long overdue

free agency aquisitions like brown and gardner do nothing for us but hurt the cap
    we need to do like all the other contenders are and draft our stars instead of paying big money right off the top, for someone who might not work

Leave a comment:

• ECBronco
    replied
    Originally posted by TheComeBackKid
    I don't believe it....are we forgetting that this defense is the same one that almost set an NFL record for lowest points scored against going into week 5. We actually improved our sacks and tackles for losses from 2005 ( 28 sacks and 37 TFL) to 2006 (36 sacks and 46 TFL). And once again had a mutliple pro-bowl sencondary.

So lets face the facts....what we actually saw coming from the 2005 season to the 2006 season wasn't the "blitz-krieg" to the "bend but don't break", but actually a worn out defense that never left the field. If you wan't to look at the true enemy of the defense it was the 3rd down conversion ratio. Denver ranked 22nd in the league on 3rd down conversions, at a 31.1% conversion rate. ~RealFootball365

This line didn't do less we just saw them play more. Larry Coyer will be around next season!

Ya Hurd!
    Believe it.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...4&storyID=6473

Leave a comment:

• JRWIZ
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mojo0730
    replied
    This move tellls me that Mike Shanahan intends to spend most of his free agency money and draft picks on the offensive side of the football. I said from the beginning of the end of the season that if Mike Shanahan decided to keep Coyer and his scheme, then he would go after some defensive tackles and safeties. If he decided to let Coyer go (as he has), then he would feel that it wasn't the players fault for the defensive collapse as much as it was the scheme, and fix the problems on offense first and foremost. So I expect Denver to bring in a lot of offensive linemen and a few running backs for 2007.

Leave a comment:

• Fat Joe
    replied
    Yes it is, just saw it on the ticker on NFLN.

Leave a comment:

• DEN_BOWL_06
    replied
    yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees.....

it is official now...

i feel like dancing on the streets......

Leave a comment:

• topscribe
    replied
    Originally posted by ECBronco
    Geez, Dream is right. I hope Coyer had some input. If not, all the more reason to get rid of him. I'd like to bring in a guy that can contribute to the defense in respect to the draft, free agency, etc.
    Good responses by you, Dream, and Arapaho. I am by no means a Coyer fan . . . that
    should be no secret. Nonetheless, like him or not, we must be fair, which is what I
    am trying to be.

Yes, Coyer has some input on who is brought in, I'm sure. However, he isn't the
    decision-maker in that regard. That should be obvious. Therefore, we must take that
    into consideration regarding his relative worth. It's not going to hurt my feelings to
    see him go . . . depending on who replaces him and what other measures they take
    to correct an obviously inept D-line.

-----

Leave a comment:

• OC1981
    replied
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• cutlerfan
    replied
    You know with all the coaching changes in the NFL - I know we can get a good Defensive Cordinator!

Leave a comment:

• TU_HurricaneDB
    replied
    I have seen a lot of people support Coyer but he is NOT a good or even average D-coordinator. A D-coordinator adapts to the players he has, he plans and schemes to use the strengths of his players accordingly. Coyer doesn't do this, he goes against the strength of the CB core by playing Zone more than man and he has kept Lynch at FS (while I love Lynch) but he is a SS to stop the run at best.

When a blitz is designed the designer should not send a defensive player right at an offensive blocker and hope he wins like so many of our blitzes are designed, they shouldn't have to be made in a way where we blitz everyone except DB locked up man to man.

I could go on but I believe all you readers get the point.

I dont remeber the last team to get to the SB with a base defense and no blitzes occuring but Im sure its happened a lot if Coyer is so great.

MO is that I hope he is gone and we get someone who has been or seen a great D-coordinator.

Leave a comment:

• arapaho
    replied
    Originally posted by Dream
    I also think that Patterson as a line coach has to go as well; I think he's pretty much responsible for the lobbying of getting those guys to come here; some worked out. . . some didn't. I don't think with him there we'll ever see the need to get an improved front four.

i agree ...coyer sets the defensive stratagies...patterson within that sets up the dline play....and he failed

Leave a comment:

• Dream
    replied
    I also think that Patterson as a line coach has to go as well; I think he's pretty much responsible for the lobbying of getting those guys to come here; some worked out. . . some didn't. I don't think with him there we'll ever see the need to get an improved front four.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X