The Snake Factor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Snake Factor

I just thought I'd link today's Denver Post article on Jake Plummer and his effect on the team. It's similar to previous ones but with a few Chicago Bears chiming in:

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...778435,00.html

Yes, he needs to do it over the long haul but it's great to see him off to a great start.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

I'm sold on Jake. The last sentence of that article pretty much sums it up: "He adds another dimension."

That's what's so dangerous about him. He's yet another dimension added to a team that's in no short supply of dimensions. People haven't been able to figure him out.

No matter what people say about Jake I think the majority of the league's players saw him as Jake the Mistake and refused to believe that he is a very good player. Now we're seeing him bring further success through the intangibles. The confusion as to exactly who Jake is works to our advantage. I love it!!!
    Winter is Coming!

Comment

If Plummer is for real, and he stays healthy, it would sure make up for Shanny's mistake on Brian Griese. I think Shanahan really staked his reputation on Plummer being much better than most people believed.

As far as the added dimension goes, you're right. And when the Broncos were playing with their backup QB's, they not only lost Jake's added dimension (mobility) but actually seemed to lose more dimensions (timing with receivers, downfield passing threat, leadership). He never will be John Elway, and nobody will, but that doesn't mean he isn't good enough to win a Super Bowl or two. Time will tell...
      ------

Comment

Nice article - thanks! I think that in addition to the way he plays, there's an energy that takes over the team with him at the helm. you can tell they really like him - in addition to respecting him - and that's HUGE.
        Orange/Blue Girl in L.A.

Comment

That is a good article, and I’m thrilled that Broncos fans have not only accepted him but cheer him on so.

So much has been said about his scrambling and ‘adding another dimension’. Certainly he does that. However, I think he has massive innate leadership that can’t be learned. After this past game, I saw all sorts of articles and comments about the team getting their swagger back. I think one person can have that affect on a team. Certainly, the caliber of this team deserves swagger in of itself, but I think stats and player/coach comments bear out Jake’s leadership.

He got into his first NFL game because the Card’s starting QB went down in Philadelphia (Buerlein?). He had to take over at his own 4 yard line. From what everyone in the huddle said was that Jake ran onto the field and into the huddle. He basically told them they were going to march down the field, score a TD and take the lead. They did just that.

There has been a lot of discussion about Jake and how he compares to Elway. It seems the consensus is that he will never be another Elway. There can never be another Elway. I’m not steeped enough in the Bronco’s history and mystique to even consider the comparison. However, I would like to hope (and believe it will bear out) that when all is said and done, Denver will have TWO QB’s they can tout.

Years from now, fans will say ‘Such and Such are pretty good, but they’ll never be an Elway or a Plummer’. I think this team deserves two legends. I hope for that, believe in that, and have faith in Jake for that.
          Victory and defeat are matters of the temporary force of circumstance.

Thanks, Snk16!!

Comment

Bill Walsh has a eye for talent. The guy could pick a diamond out of a coal mine.

Comment

plummer

Just having plummer back has lifted the broncos more than ever but if he gets hands man back (and healthy) that adds a major weapon to the offense. If we can manage a run game in portis which we can the broncos have as good of chance as anyone to go all the way.We have one tough game on the schedual and that will be indy. Green bay is falling apart daunte hall is in check, and the only reason kansas city beat us. So I believe with the offense and defense clicking the way it is we will go all the way or atleast have a fair chance at it.
              #1 bronco fan

Comment

PLummer is for real!!

I remember watching a Cardinal video on Plummer early this year. Jake was saying all kinds of things to his team mates on the field calling out their numbers and getting them to do what was necessary to win.
                I'd like to hear him miked up in the Broncos huddle on any Sunday, just to hear that same leadership over a group of awesome talented players. It might actually be a bit different considering the Cardinals play wasn't the same as the swaggering Broncos!

Mike him up!!
                This is the NFL!!

Don't sing it... Bring It!!!!!

Go Broncos!!!!!!!

Comment

if you're the Bronco's #1 fan, may god have mercy on all Bronco fans. You have three very tough games left. KC has looked much better since the last time these 2 played (besides @ cincy)...and Dante Hall is not necessarily "in check"...people are still afraid to kick him the ball. Even in Cincy the Chiefs got the ball from the 40 because of an out of bounds kickoff. It didn't pay off in that game...but do you really want to give up that kinda field position to the Chiefs offense? Be reasonable. He changes the way all special teams prepare...that is the difference he makes. You also still have Green Bay at Lambeau...and if you think that will be a cakewalk, you haven't watched football for the last 40 years.

I am a broncos fan and your probably right, no game is a given in the Nfl. I have heard through the nfl that kansas city is not near as strong as there record shows and that Green Bay is slowly falling apart. I just believe in our quarter back( not that he is without mistakes) but that he can lead the team the rest of the way. Only one interception last game (not bad)!
                  #1 bronco fan

Comment

Originally posted by horseface
                    Don't believe everything you hear...GB has looked good the last few weeks, and it being played at Lambeau, fairs very well for the Packers. As for the Chiefs, they looked bad last week, but they still have the best record in the NFL with one of the most potent offenses out there. They didn't click on Sunday, but they are a very good team. While their defense is the question mark, they have outscored 9 out of 10 teams so far this year...and that's hard to do. It's great that you have confidence in Jake, but I'd be willing to bet that GB fans have faith in Favre as well. And the KC fans know that Trent Green is looking very solid as well, he had another game of over 300 yards on Sunday with over a 100 qb rating. Believing in your QB won't make your remaing "tough" 3 games any easier.
                    it will be a toss up its a 50 50 chance we win. ill take those odds in GB and INDY the other games are about a 75-25 chance (yes, including the chiefs game).
                    dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

I'd bet the vegas linesmakers...the experts...disagree with your evaluation heavily. The Broncos will be picked to lose both at GB and at Indy...they will most likely be a 2 or 2 and a half point favorite over the Chiefs...it being played in Denver.
                      Yeah thats cause the better dont know the scoop they just want to look at our records guy i thought you knew that. We get picked to lose who cares? We got the talent to dominate now! Both offense and defense though and not just offense like this one team i know.
                      dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

It's great that you have confidence in Jake, but I'd be willing to bet that GB fans have faith in Favre as well. And the KC fans know that Trent Green is looking very solid as well, he had another game of over 300 yards on Sunday with over a 100 qb rating. Believing in your QB won't make your remaing "tough" 3 games any easier.
                        I'd bet the vegas linesmakers...the experts...disagree with your evaluation heavily. The Broncos will be picked to lose both at GB and at Indy...they will most likely be a 2 or 2 and a half point favorite over the Chiefs...it being played in Denver.
                        Heh, I just know you're loving these last few posts, eh Horseface?

We know that, this being the Denver Broncos' website, many users are going to view the NFL with orange-colored glasses. But I can't tell if some of these folks refuse to give the Chiefs any credit because they truly believe what they're saying or just to irritate Chiefs fans. KC is obviously still one of the top teams in the league and the Broncos-Chiefs rematch will be tough for both teams and should be exciting.

"Believing in your QB won't make your remaing "tough" 3 games any easier." I assume by this you're saying that fans believing anything has no effect on the game. Because the Broncos will obviously have a better chance at winning those "tough" games with Plummer than without him.
                        ------

Comment

vegas linesmakers look at much more than records when making the initial spreads. I "do know that." These are the guys that know the absolute most about NFL teams, and how they will play in certain situations. They are experts. You and I could look at records and make lines...these guys helped build that little town called Vegas...they didn't do it by simply looking at records...but hey, "I thought you knew that."
                          OK since you wanna battle, what did you say was the spread for the KC game? 2.5? What was the spread for the game back in week 5? 3.5? Whatever it was, we got inside it and really should have won of course (dont care how tired you are of hearing it but its the truth). Betters didnt knwo how much we would dominate the game huh? yeah i knew that though. I also know it wasnt a fluke, i cant tell you how it will go down, but i know we are the better team overall period.

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                            Heh, I just know you're loving these last few posts, eh Horseface?

We know that, this being the Denver Broncos' website, many users are going to view the NFL with orange-colored glasses. But I can't tell if some of these folks refuse to give the Chiefs any credit because they truly believe what they're saying or just to irritate Chiefs fans. KC is obviously still one of the top teams in the league and the Broncos-Chiefs rematch will be tough for both teams and should be exciting.

"Believing in your QB won't make your remaing "tough" 3 games any easier." I assume by this you're saying that fans believing anything has no effect on the game. Because the Broncos will obviously have a better chance at winning those "tough" games with Plummer than without him.
                            As far as this goes, I dont look at the whole NFL through orange glasses. There are a few teams that scare me, but the chiefs are definitely not one of them. If the chiefs went up against the titans, colts, panthers, broncos, then wouldnt play well. Chiefs are in the better half, but definitely not as good as their 9-1 record. Just like we were not as bad as our 5-4 record before SD. If you wanna try to be friends with horsey fine, i just wanted to point that out though.

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

I was simply making light of the fact that this newcomer stated that he had confidence in Jake...and Indy was the only tough game left on the schedule. He made it sound as if fan's confidence make the GB and KC games a cakewalk...As for Lava's post(s)...he talks a ton...but rarely makes a valid point. He is convinced that the vegas linesmakers are idiots that only make lines based on records....enough said.
                              LOL thats funny how you twisted that. I didnt call the linesmakers idiots. Learn some reading comprehension. I said i dont give a damn what the linesmakers in vegas say about spreads and that they are not the experts you claim them to be. They might knwo enough about all the teams to make a prediction, but you are wrong when you say they know the absolute most about us.

If you think everything you say is valid, you are sadly mistaken horsey. Speaking of talking a ton, you probably have more posts in the last month than anybody else on the board. You say the same things i say but form another teams view. Dont think you are superior here.

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Working...
                              X