• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lo4f3r
    Practice Squad
    • Jan 2006

Effects of Brewsters departure

Anyone else think that this departure hurts us more than we think? This hurts Scheffler most since he needed a little bit of work in the off season to become a presences for us. Look at what Brewster did with Gates, he could have easily done that for Scheffler. This could hurt us more than we think Any news on replacements
    ? Hell if Im Bowlen id consider calling in Shannon and see if hed be down to coach for us.

• JoRo
    Playmaker
    • Jun 2004

I was wonderin how much this will hurt....

hopefully we can fill the spot wit someone good...
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

• PAJODOA
      Practice Squad
      • Oct 2004

Whatever happened to Wesley Duke?

Is he coming back or is he totally done?

Comment

• Chidoze
        Playmaker
        • Aug 2006

Losing coaches is never a good thing. I am happy though that Brewster gets a shot to show off his coaching skills as a head coach for minnesota. Hopefully it doesnt stall Scheffler' growth in the system.
        sigpic

Comment

• JRWIZ
          Banned User
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by lo4f3r
          Anyone else think that this departure hurts us more than we think? This hurts Scheffler most since he needed a little bit of work in the off season to become a presences for us. Look at what Brewster did with Gates, he could have easily done that for Scheffler. This could hurt us more than we think Any news on replacements
          ? Hell if Im Bowlen id consider calling in Shannon and see if hed be down to coach for us.

Just might have been Gates being that good also. Brewster just ahppened to be there.

Do most teams have a TE coach? I'd guess not. What is to teach that the OLINE and WR coaches can't teach the kid?

Comment

• So.CalBRONCOFAN
            Bench Warmer
            • Aug 2005

Our TE's sucked ham to begin with so if you ask me good riddens.
            vvvv Palomar-Mnt. Southern California vvvv

sigpic

Comment

• JoRo
              Playmaker
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by JRWIZ
              Just might have been Gates being that good also. Brewster just ahppened to be there.

Do most teams have a TE coach? I'd guess not. What is to teach that the OLINE and WR coaches can't teach the kid?

Most teams actually do have a TE coach
              Bronco fan from Packer Land.
              Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
              Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

• halfback
                Practice Squad
                • Jan 2004

i dont think it will have much bearing on scheffler or any other tight ends really, but as someone else stated, what did happen to wesley duke, was he cut or hurt or released or what? i remember he had raw talent then totally forgot about him this year

Comment

• lo4f3r
                  Practice Squad
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by halfback
                  i dont think it will have much bearing on scheffler or any other tight ends really, but as someone else stated, what did happen to wesley duke, was he cut or hurt or released or what? i remember he had raw talent then totally forgot about him this year

Duke was cut at the end of last season. I heard nothing about him this year in terms of scout team deals, signings, etc. Last I herd was that he was at NFL Europe

Comment

• RebelSyxx
                    Practice Squad
                    • Oct 2003

Duke tore his ACL (for the fourth time) and was released.

"OFTEN IMITATED NEVER DUPLICATED!"

"....knee injuries did something opposing defenses could not. Stop Terrell Davis."

"My Last game in a Cardinals uniform, I heard them say...."WE WANT JAKE.....WE WANT JAKE!!! and all the while I was thinking, "I want you too."- Jake Plummer

Comment

• Javalon
                      Hail to the King, baby!
                      • Sep 2003

While I'm not saying Brewster isn't a good coach, I agree with questioning if he's really that good just because he was there when Gates became a star. Has he done anything else of note?

Certainly Gates needing some coaching but if his talent was there waiting to emerge then it doesn't necessarily mean that only a premier TE coach could have gotten him to that level. Perhaps Brewster was just one of many good coaches who could have done the job. We just don't know.
                      "You can't take the sky from me..."
                      ------
                      "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

• JRWIZ
                        Banned User
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by JoRo
                        Most teams actually do have a TE coach
                        With a few exceptions it seems like a wasted coach/roster space considering the lack of production from that spot. ATL, BAL, NYG, SAN, KC not withstanding.

Comment

• JRWIZ
                          Banned User
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Javalon
                          While I'm not saying Brewster isn't a good coach, I agree with questioning if he's really that good just because he was there when Gates became a star. Has he done anything else of note?

Certainly Gates needing some coaching but if his talent was there waiting to emerge then it doesn't necessarily mean that only a premier TE coach could have gotten him to that level. Perhaps Brewster was just one of many good coaches who could have done the job. We just don't know.
                          I'm guessing irf he was such a great TE coach whereever he is going is desparate for a head coach.

Chances are he is a good coach that got caught up in the TE area.

Comment

• Javalon
                            Hail to the King, baby!
                            • Sep 2003

I'm guessing irf he was such a great TE coach whereever he is going is desparate for a head coach.

Chances are he is a good coach that got caught up in the TE area.
                            That's very possible.

Well, I have nothing against Brewster and wish him well. But I'm not convinced that this is some dire blow to our tight ends. We'll see what happens.
                            "You can't take the sky from me..."
                            ------
                            "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

• BigBroncLove
                              Unleash The Ninja Inside!
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Javalon
                              That's very possible.

Well, I have nothing against Brewster and wish him well. But I'm not convinced that this is some dire blow to our tight ends. We'll see what happens.
                              Whenever a coach is lost unexpectedly, it's a blow to the team IMO. Obviously if Shanahan and Bowlen had no intentions of removing him from the team (which I don't believe they did), that should mean they were happy or at least pleased with his services.

I do worry specifically about Scheffler since for a rookie, a good coach is sometimes required, especially if you don't have a great veteran to learn from (I'm sure Alexander can help mentor the kid, but as he isn't a premier TE, I think his knowledge and tutelage will be far more limited then other veterans in the league). Hopefully we get someone for the TE coach position that will continue Schefflers development without derailing everything he's learned this year and guiding the kid down a new path/coaching method.

I don't expect anything like that, but there is more to the TE position then most fathom, specifically since a TE's time to react to a blitz and shifting pass rushers in blocking situations is far shorter then a FB/RB, who IMO, are the only positions on the offense that have a similar demand for both blocking and possibly recieving.

I'll wait to see who they replace him with before I make any judgements on how the loss will effect us.

As for the impact on offseason training concerning Scheffler via the loss of the TE coach, so long as Scheffler is commited to training nearly as hard, if not harder then he did during the season, he will improve. All offseason training (Except the quality of the the mini-camps) is in the hands of the player themselves. The harder you work during the offseason.... the easier it is to comeback and hit pre-season in stride, or even comeback bigger and better then ever....

I'm really looking forward to see how the kid comes back next season. I've thought since 2006 drafts day that Scheffler looked like our answer for the TE position, and next year will be a big teller.

Also, for those qho thought the TE production was poor last season, I agree. However I think most of that lack of production came from the earlier part of the season under Plummer. I don't want to turn this into a jake vs. jay discussion, but I do feel that Jay seems to work well with Scheffler and that Plummer had troubles targeting the TE IMO.
                              sigpic
                              The only thing that can stop the ninja.
                              Setting yourself on fire so they can't catch you!

Comment

Working...
                              X