ONLY 1 more area to improve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ONLY 1 more area to improve?

do u agree that we only have 1 more area left to address b4 the season when june 1st comes around.

i am happy with the lbs, ol, wrs and special teamers/returners.

i just think we need a back-up to jake. not confident with kanell/van pelt/mauck/jackson or steve.

collins is too much but a cheap vet. who can do a job would be PERFECT to finish our offseason.

I agree we need a decent back up for Jake. If we had that last year. We might have won three more games. Our offense looked horrible when Jake was out. It's clearly a need. Hopefully Jake won't go down this year. Historically, Jake does't get hurt much. Hopefully last year was just a fluke thing.
    I would like to see Collins here but only as a back up. I don't think we can afford him though.
    Last edited by The Dark Knight; 05-01-2004, 04:03 PM.

Comment

yeah, jake is the #1 guy to lead denver. we really cant rely on him staying healthy, thats why we have depth but as i look at our roster i see quality depth everywhere except 1 place.......... qb.

Comment

Actually, I think that Matt is a better fit at backup than Beurlein or Kanell. He has mobility, which is something that our offensive scheme needs in a QB, and he has a halfway decent arm.(he's not just a seam passer either, like Beur is.)

I actually don't think this is an are we will need much improvement on, and we will see who the backup will be after the preseason, but my money, believe it or not, is on Matt as being the #2 guy.

As far as areas our team can improve, hopefully, with the defense being beefed up even more than it was, we can see a huge differenc in our turnover ratio, and in turn, more offensive production.

All in all, I feel better about this next season than I have about a season for a few years.

We have QB who can throw, can move, and doesn't make a whole lot of mistakes. We have more quality running backs than you can shake a stick at, receivers I think were addressed in the draft and free agency, our TE situation is good for now, since Shannon will be back. And I think that Foster will do an excellent job at right tackle. If you guys watched him play college, you would be more confident in his ability to play.

On the defensive side of the ball, we addressed our D-Line with a lot of free agency signings, our LBs were addressed in the draft(Hello DJ!), and our secondary was obviously instantly bettered upon the CP/Bailey trade, and signing John Lynch.

We have drafted some serious kick returners, the only thing I think we should have drafted late, instead of Van Smelt, was a better punter.

I see that as our only weak spot, our punter. And with any luck, we won't need him too often this season

Comment

i take it u dont like knorr!! LOL

btw - we have a punter in nfleurope (nick epstein) who is 2nd in punting averages and is said to be excellant so he could take the job. knorrs punting really hurt us last year IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003
            knorrs punting really hurt us last year IMO.
            In Your Opinin??? That is not an opinion, it is a FACT...hehe.

The earth is but one country and mankind it's citizens
            Baha'u'llah

"Everyone takes turns making mistakes in poker. The trick is to skip your turn."
            Mike Caro

"The all-in play works every time but once"

You can observe a lot just by watching.
            Yogi Berra

every year.

Comment

All the upgrades won't mean a thing if the players don't mesh and play up to their potential.
              The Game Day Thread: Year 17 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elway
                All the upgrades won't mean a thing if the players don't mesh and play up to their potential.
                That is so true...take the Portland Trailblazers of a few years back, every one of the starters were big name players who could easily score 30+ in a game, but cuz they had no chemistry, they never won the championship.

The earth is but one country and mankind it's citizens
                Baha'u'llah

"Everyone takes turns making mistakes in poker. The trick is to skip your turn."
                Mike Caro

"The all-in play works every time but once"

You can observe a lot just by watching.
                Yogi Berra

every year.

Comment

back up

as much as i hate to say it i think i would rather put kanel as the backup over a rookie who dont know the system, i thought kanel sucked last year but with a year in the system and a improved d i think he would be a little better

unless we get someone better
                  sigpic
                  when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Re: back up

Originally posted by arapaho
                    as much as i hate to say it i think i would rather put kanel as the backup over a rookie who dont know the system, i thought kanel sucked last year but with a year in the system and a improved d i think he would be a little better
                    unless we get someone better
                    I agree. After being away from the game, I think Kanell did ok. With a year under his belt, hopefully we'll see an improvement. 1st round qb's have a hard enough time getting used to the speed of the NFL, let alone a 7th rounder.....that is way to scary to fathom.
                    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                    tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                    men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Re: Re: back up

Originally posted by rcsodak
                      I agree. After being away from the game, I think Kanell did ok. With a year under his belt, hopefully we'll see an improvement. 1st round qb's have a hard enough time getting used to the speed of the NFL, let alone a 7th rounder.....that is way to scary to fathom.
                      Kannell is maxed out. Pocket passer with a light O line? Got to be mobile in Shanny's system. Time to get the youth involved. Unfortunately we didn't draft a descent QB IMHO. June 1st??
                      This is the NFL!!

Don't sing it... Bring It!!!!!

Go Broncos!!!!!!!

Comment

Losman reminds me

of Elway. Kid has a rocket for an arm and is very mobile. I think he will over take Bledso fairly quick.

Also I'm not really sold on the DL we nabbed. We'll see. That will affect our turnover ratio.
                        This is the NFL!!

Don't sing it... Bring It!!!!!

Go Broncos!!!!!!!

Comment

I see you finally agree with me. I have said we need to rebuild the QB second and third string for some time now. I also said that Van Pelt was a possible pick in latter rounds.

I was expecting two QB’s to be taken in the draft or signed as a rookie free agent because the two NFL free agents who were signed prior to the draft have little to no experience between them in the NFL.

That makes the total count of QB’s looking to make the team not including Jake Plummer who is the man, or Jerious Jackson, who was moved to Free Safety, or Steve Beuerlein who is still a mystery, to equal five.

I think Beuerlein may not be coming back but I just don’t know.

So, as predicted, we are trying to cement those questionable backup positions to help build a solid team.

Kindell probably will retain the second spot and the battle for third will be between the four new guys.

Comment

Got to admit that the QB situation is of concern. I'd be suprised of Beurlien comes back, and Kanell didn't really do anything. Maybe he'll improve with a year's experience in our system? I don't know enough about Woodbury or Quinn to form an opinion on them.

Despite the success of Brady @ NE, it's not very often that any rookie QB, let alone a late pick like Mauck or van Pelt can be impact players if necessary.

I don't think that we could afford Collins or Warner, in addtion I think both will be looking for starting gigs, and more money than we can afford, so I reckon we'll be looking at the June 1 cuts to bring in a #2 with Mauck, van Pelt, Kanell, Woodbury & Quinn to scrap it out for the #3 slot.

As for the punter, well yes he could have done a better job for us last year, but at the same time so could the coverage teams, and that situation has hopefully been addressed with the hiring of Kirk Doll on the coaching side of things.
                            The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
                            BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
                            You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

Comment

Originally posted by Den21-Bal19
                              Got to admit that the QB situation is of concern. I'd be suprised of Beurlien comes back, and Kanell didn't really do anything. Maybe he'll improve with a year's experience in our system? I don't know enough about Woodbury or Quinn to form an opinion on them.

Despite the success of Brady @ NE, it's not very often that any rookie QB, let alone a late pick like Mauck or van Pelt can be impact players if necessary.

I don't think that we could afford Collins or Warner, in addtion I think both will be looking for starting gigs, and more money than we can afford, so I reckon we'll be looking at the June 1 cuts to bring in a #2 with Mauck, van Pelt, Kanell, Woodbury & Quinn to scrap it out for the #3 slot.

As for the punter, well yes he could have done a better job for us last year, but at the same time so could the coverage teams, and that situation has hopefully been addressed with the hiring of Kirk Doll on the coaching side of things.
                              Wasn't Woodbury cut?
                              I was hoping that the Larson kid from Neb. would get grabbed as an UDFA, but Cinci got him. He has a great leg, hang time and can directional kick with the best of them. Oh well.
                              "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                              tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                              men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X