Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Clayton - Denver #6 Improved

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=1794386

6. Denver Broncos. After failed moves with Dale Carter, Denard Walker and others, Mike Shanahan finally got his shutdown cornerback in Champ Bailey. He hopes second-round pick Tatum Bell can go into a running back by committee mix with Mike Anderson and Garrison Hearst to fill the void in trading away Portis. Shanahan used the New England approach in going for proven veterans on defense -- safety John Lynch and defensive linemen Marco Coleman, Luther Elliss and Raylee Johnson. First-round pick D.J. Williams and last year's second-rounder Terry Pierce have to play now that Ian Gold is gone to Tampa Bay.
    sigpic

Detroi #1 that right detroit did an marvelous offseason..... Denver Offseason I rteally didnt like too much I dont trust in our DT neither in our WR smioth is old ad Lelie didn't showed what is he able to do

Look at this guy!!! He is kicking some asses!!!

|||||Broncos Rulez|||||

Comment

Originally posted by Helderht_
      Detroi #1 that right detroit did an marvelous offseason..... Denver Offseason I rteally didnt like too much I dont trust in our DT neither in our WR smioth is old ad Lelie didn't showed what is he able to do
      ok, you are stupid if you didn't like our offseason, but I don't see how the redskins had a better offseason than us.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by eastcoastbrawla
        ok, you are stupid if you didn't like our offseason, but I don't see how the redskins had a better offseason than us.
        Ummmmmm.....Detroit Redskins? LMAO!

Washington Lions??? 2XLMAO!!!!!
        "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
        tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
        men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rcsodak
          Ummmmmm.....Detroit Redskins? LMAO!

Washington Lions??? 2XLMAO!!!!!
          WTF are you talking about? If you actually clicked on the link it says that the Redskins were #4 and we are #6 therefore they had a "better" offseason than us, it had nothing to do with Lions.
          sigpic

Comment

There is just My opinion.. I think that our offseason could be better..... not that was a bad offseason...

Look at this guy!!! He is kicking some asses!!!

|||||Broncos Rulez|||||

Comment

Originally posted by Helderht_
              There is just My opinion.. I think that our offseason could be better..... not that was a bad offseason...
              Oh ok.
              sigpic

Comment

WTF are you talking about? If you actually clicked on the link it says that the Redskins were #4 and we are #6 therefore they had a "better" offseason than us, it had nothing to do with Lions.
                Firstly, take a chill pill bill......he mentioned the lions and you replied the redskins.......

....and you don't think they improved ALOT?

Proven future HOF coach w/very good coordinators
                Portis -top 3 rb
                Brunell - good qb
                Springs - top 5 cb
                Thrash - good wr
                Taylor - SS YOU wanted
                plus others in positions of need.

On top of that, they still have like $6m left in cap room for June cuts, whereas we have less than $300k.

If they gel, they could be a load.......
                "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

I think the Redskins DID have a better offseason than we did. I'll hang with that.

They IMPROVED at their coach and coaching staff. They IMPROVED at Qb... they IMPROVED at running back. They decreased in DB, but they went from a VERY good guy, to a GOOD guy..... they Drafted Taylor, so thats an IMPROVE at Safety.

Our offseason. We increased at DB...we stayed the same in DT (despite new people, we can't say its an upgrade)... at BEST we stayed the same at RB... we lost Gold and most probably Mobley...so we drafted Williams and will have to have one of our back-ups step in... so at BEST we decreased slightly (at best! In reality, we decreased more than that due to experience).

John Lynch will add great leadership....so thats an increase in experience.

So yes, Washington had a better offseason than we did

Comment

Thrash is trash if he was worth something I think the eagles would've got alot more then they did for that POS.
                    sigpic
                    PSN & XBL: Vicious2500
                    You Shed Tears of Scarlet

Comment

Man....making predictions already? I have to give Denver some props because they have a lot of offseason moves...so they have been busy.

I hope to see Champ bailey make an immediate impact someway or another.

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
                      2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                        Our offseason. We increased at DB...we stayed the same in DT (despite new people, we can't say its an upgrade)... at BEST we stayed the same at RB... we lost Gold and most probably Mobley...so we drafted Williams and will have to have one of our back-ups step in... so at BEST we decreased slightly (at best! In reality, we decreased more than that due to experience).

John Lynch will add great leadership....so thats an increase in experience.

I totally disagree with your assessment of our offseason improvement. The best way to see where we are at is to compare the playoff team that lost to Indianapolis last year and the team that goes into training camp this season.

1. DB. You said "we increased at DB" but I don't think you fully appreciate how big an increase we have performed at DB. Champ Bailey could revolutionize a defense that was the top 5 in the NFL in 2003. He frees us up to blitz more, put 8/9 guys in the box and even double team the opposing squad's #2 receiver!

And far from being an increase at one DB position we have actually increased at 3, especially when you look at our playoff squad. Walls moves to the #2 spot which it an upgrade over Herndon who was so hurt at the end of last year that he was basically unable to cover 1-on-1.

We finished last year with only one healthy safety and instead now have awesome depth at the position while starting a perenial pro bowler who, trust me, adds a lot more then leadership for that $3 million Pat is paying him.

Actually, if you think about it, our #1, #2 and #3 cornerbacks improved (gotta love our nickle D!) and we see improvement at one of the safety positions while adding a starter-calibur back-up.

2. LB.You talk about the loss of Mobley and Gold but don't forget we were playing without those guys for most of the second half last year. Mobley is not lost yet and we have a healthy second-round pick from the previous season. Add in the addition of Williams and more experience for our starters from last year who were kinda thrown into the fray last second and you are going to see a lot of improvement from last year's playoff squad in this area.

3. DL. I do worry about. Though I don't see us decreasing from last year. We added some interesting veterans along the line which should balance out the loss of the hard-working Berry (who I think benefited more from Pryce's presence then anyone on the team). I don't see us getting constant pressure on the QB with this line-up but we should continue to be very strong against the run and be middle-of-the-pack in sacks. Maybe better if our secondary is really as good as I expect it to be.

4. Running back. I see a slight decrease in this area. Portis averaged 5.5 yards a carry. That's going to be near impossible to replace, even if we had not lost the best offensive line coach we've ever had. I really think we have great depth at RB with a nice mix of speed, talent, youth and experience. Still, a decrease is my prediction here.

5. Wide Receivers. We can only get better here. Expect the same out of Rod Smith but I fully expect more production from Ashley Leslie and our #3 and #4 receivers. Eddie's loss will be felt more in the locker room then on the field, but I think we've added enough veteran leadership to overcome that hurt. I really believe that most of the improvement in the receiver corp comes from:

6. Quarterback. Another year and a healthier Plummer (knock on wood but that was like his first injury in 6 seasons or something) should lead to some awesome results. Plummer exceeded all expectations last season and I can't wait to watch him this year with another year's experience under his belt. The bar has been raised and I'm looking for an MVP caliber season from our field general.

7. Offensive Line. We go into the season with no real injuries hampering the team. However the most important positions on the line (left and right tackle) are in flux even while we deal with Alex Gibbs coordinating the protection of Mike Vick's blindside.

As for the comparison to Redskins: I don't like the addition of Springs and I think for this season at least we will get better production from Lynch then they will get from their first round rookie Taylor. Portis should do well but don't look for him to average more than 5 ypc like he did in Denver. Do you think their QB will stay healthy? I don't. Finally, Gibbs was a great coach... 10 years ago. Does that mean he won't succeed today? Nope. Does it mean he has a good chance of not succeeding in today's game? Oh yeah.

But at least they have generated some excitement around their franchise. Gotta give them a lot of credit for that.

Comment

I agree with you. The Redskins have once again won the "Summer Bowl". I hope that after June 1st cuts are made, we can add another DT to our line. Darius Holland and Mario Fatafehi were solid, but they couldn't start on any other team but ours. I was looking forward to seeing what Darrell Campbell could do, but he pulled a Kennison and stabbed us in the back. If we can add to our line, we'll be fine. Plus, we'll get a TON of coverage sacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!

They IMPROVED at their coach and coaching staff. They IMPROVED at Qb... they IMPROVED at running back. They decreased in DB, but they went from a VERY good guy, to a GOOD guy..... they Drafted Taylor, so thats an IMPROVE at Safety.

You are correct in the assumtion that they upgraded their coach. But that would have not been hard to do, SS come on! How many coaches have they had? Lavarr Arrington was quoted saying he has had 6 different coaches since he has been in th NFL. So in his mind the jury is still out.

Until they get another owner, they will be just like DAL and OAk flash in the pans, a good year every so often.

Snyder keeps trying to buy a title, if it does not work out, the door revolves and the change the system AGAIN and they try it for a year.

Any wonder on why Champ bailed. can you imagine working for the same company every year and it being in constant turmoil.

They may have won the off season.

But will they win during the season?

Comment

What I like most of Clayton's assessment is the fact that we're the most improved playoff team from last year, and we're one of only three playoff teams on his list period. Everybody above us was terrible last year so you expect them to be improved. If you're graded with an 'F' then one 'A' "improves" you quite a bit.
                              Winter is Coming!

Comment

Working...
                              X