X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starbroncs
    replied
    Originally posted by Justblaze2729 View Post
    Imagine giving up on a receiver in his first year that posted closd to 900 yards. Every receiver on the team has had struggles with drops.

Inconsistent QB play will cause inconsistent WR play when youth is in play. Give jeudy Kirk cousins and he puts up 1300 easy.
    jeudy puts up 1300 yards with kirk cousins? really?

Leave a comment:

• JvDub95
    replied
    No, they did not draft the wrong receiver....they drafted a stud and the next dozen years will prove it

Leave a comment:

• Justblaze2729
    replied
    Imagine giving up on a receiver in his first year that posted closd to 900 yards. Every receiver on the team has had struggles with drops.

Inconsistent QB play will cause inconsistent WR play when youth is in play. Give jeudy Kirk cousins and he puts up 1300 easy.

Leave a comment:

• DenverBlood
    replied
    Originally posted by broncolee View Post

Is that supposed to mean he’s not as good as or better than Jeudy?

Still have to look at the season as a whole.
    Not at all. But his overall stats for the season aren’t exactly blowing Juedy away. And he also made a critical drop similar to what Juedy did last week.

I guess more what I’m saying is it’s extremely possible the stud rookies could be struggling just as bad in our anemic offense.

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied
    Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
    All that talk of Lamb and his most important reception of the entire year he drops in the bread basket with playoffs on the line.
    Is that supposed to mean he’s not as good as or better than Jeudy?

Still have to look at the season as a whole.

Leave a comment:

• DenverBlood
    replied
    All that talk of Lamb and his most important reception of the entire year he drops in the bread basket with playoffs on the line.

Leave a comment:

• BiscuitBronco
    replied
    I guess looking at this rather strange season as the only frame of reference we could have taken Reagor or Jefferson, (drafted after Jeudy in R1) and Claypool instead of Hamler (R2) but 2020 hindsight is not all that. It's just a glimpse.

In the fullness of time I think we will be very pleased with Jeudy and Hamler.

I'm going to make a completely unsubstantiated claim but I reckon the 2020 draft will end up being the best Denver draft haul in living memory.

Leave a comment:

• Tdeng88
    replied
    Takes 2 to trade many on here forget this when they endlessly ridicule elway. Like this year. Certain people are already calling him out for not getting Lawrence or fields which is so... well let's not go there.

Leave a comment:

• listopencil
    replied
    Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post

Doesn't change the value of taking a number 2 receiver that high. I think if he becomes Calvin Ridley, a better comparison to anyone else both coming out skill wise, and projection wise, it will be a win. But something fans always love to do, pick the outlier comparison of a guy with similar struggles early and attach it to one guy who became successful. If you want to play that game when projecting a struggling rookie, you will find the drop issues of most guys early doesn't lead to elite level projection like Davante Adams.

Also, Adams coming out was regarded as a guy who could beat the press and didn't have that issue that Jeudy had due to his thin frame. Adams from memory was regarded as a natural hands catcher who just had some drops early on, something Jeudy wasn't. I would say skill-wise early on they were not alike at all and the comparison is actually horrible outside of some drop issues early. The issues of the 2 players and the reasons for the subsequent drops really doesn't actually compare, not a good comparison.
    I wasn't addressing the value of the pick, only what the Broncos saw him as when they picked him. And to me it's pretty obvious that they saw him as the long term answer at the #2WR position. So, with that being said, is a long term answer at the #2WR position worth the pick? Depends on the team. I honestly do think that it's not unlikely that the Broncos wanted Ruggs and settled for Jeudy. They went BPA at a position of need. Recently we have sucked at developing WR's.Before the draft we had Sutton...and then nothing special. So I can see why they might have valued it like that. Of course we can disagree with them. I still would rather have traded our 1st and 2nd picks to move up to take someone like OT Becton to start at RT for us. I'd value Becton over Jeudy and Hamler, and I felt that way before James opted out.

Leave a comment:

• johnlimburg
    replied
    Originally posted by listopencil View Post

I think the Broncos saw him as a great compliment to Sutton. That makes him the #2WR. If our WR corps wasn't so weak I think he would have been seen as #2/#3 as a rookie but we didn't really have anyone that looked like they could bump him out of the #2 spot. I don't go by how this place reacts all of the time. For what should be obvious reasons.
    Doesn't change the value of taking a number 2 receiver that high. I think if he becomes Calvin Ridley, a better comparison to anyone else both coming out skill wise, and projection wise, it will be a win. But something fans always love to do, pick the outlier comparison of a guy with similar struggles early and attach it to one guy who became successful. If you want to play that game when projecting a struggling rookie, you will find the drop issues of most guys early doesn't lead to elite level projection like Davante Adams.

Also, Adams coming out was regarded as a guy who could beat the press and didn't have that issue that Jeudy had due to his thin frame. Adams from memory was regarded as a natural hands catcher who just had some drops early on, something Jeudy wasn't. I would say skill-wise early on they were not alike at all and the comparison is actually horrible outside of some drop issues early. The issues of the 2 players and the reasons for the subsequent drops really doesn't actually compare, not a good comparison.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/wa...ce-rookie-bust

Davante Adams dropped nearly 10% of his catchable targets during his rookie year. He turned out fine.

Jeudy will be fine. He had 4 drops all year before a disastrous 6 against LAC.
    I have thought about Adams a lot over the last year or two, remembering how I wasn't sure if he'd every be a complete player early on in his career. He seemed unreliable at the time. He has done a great job to improve his game and in fact, get to the top tier of WRs in the NFL.

Leave a comment:

• InsaneBlaze23
    replied
    Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post

Davante Adams dropped nearly 10% of his catchable targets during his rookie year. He turned out fine.

Good comparison, to continue that comparison of Adams, Davante has 6 drops this season. If you exclude that disaster against LA, Jeudy would have less drops than someone who is consider one of, if not these best wide outs in the game right now. The difference between them on the base level is weight and QB. They are the same highest but Adams weighs 22lbs more...frames, I'd say Adams have a slightly bigger frame, not nothing too noticeable. So I don't count it. But that second thing thats different is QB.
    Aaron Rodgers and Drew Lock.

As amazing as Adams is, it helps that he has a QB that is always throwing him a catchable ball. It's the perfect combo. As great as Favre was, it's known that he didn't delver catchable balls every throw. Brett mostly just threw shells from his howitzer arm, you can catch em....but they hurt. Donald Driver talked a lot about how hard it is catching throws from Brett and the pain in the hands that came with it.

Anyways rambled a bit. Lock doesn't throw catchable balls often, some of Jeudy's drops were his own fault, but some in that LA game was Lock throwing bad balls. A wide out with great hands can compensate for bad balls, but clearly Jeudy isn't there yet...and it's fine bc he is indeed a rookie. Shouldn't expect Randall Moss or Larry Fitzgerald out of a rookie wide out.

Leave a comment:

• HDbroncos02
    replied
    But Rice soon began to slump, dropping passes in losses to the Bears and Lions. He was often wide open when balls bounced off his hands. Walsh re-inserted Solomon as the starter, though Rice still played more snaps than the veteran. Rice's confidence began to wane. Rice dropped two passes and fumbled against the Chiefs in a game that the Niners won 31-3. The team coasted to a victory, but the rookie had what Walsh called "a personal crisis" on the sidelines. "We all had a visit with him," Walsh said, noting that veterans Dwight Clark and Solomon were doing their best to help Rice along. "He's a 21-year-old man going through a learning process."

Leave a comment:

• listopencil
    replied
    Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post

Are you sure ? Were you here on draft night ? The reaction to Jeudy was somewhat of lunacy with crazy overreaction to what he was, and an all attack was made on me for offering up a balanced take on his college play. I don't think this is what Jeudy was sold to everyone as by this fanbase, he was meant to be elite and dominate from day 1.
    I think the Broncos saw him as a great compliment to Sutton. That makes him the #2WR. If our WR corps wasn't so weak I think he would have been seen as #2/#3 as a rookie but we didn't really have anyone that looked like they could bump him out of the #2 spot. I don't go by how this place reacts all of the time. For what should be obvious reasons.

Leave a comment:

• johnlimburg
    replied
    I more opposed the pick because I thought taking a guy who has the ceiling of a number 2 receiver at 15 wasn't great value. I also thought as history shows us the range to hit on receivers is in that 20-50 range. I think Jeudy will be good, but he just wasn't worth the pick in my opinion, and what compounded the issue for me was how thin our roster was at other spots making the pick a luxury a bottom feeder team like us couldn't take. But apparently, double-dipping was smart and would be best for a young quarterback who has looked best throwing to a guy we grabbed off the scrap heap.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X