Did we draft the wrong WR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post

In what way? He is too skinny and not very strong, a glaring weakness and projected issue that was always going to exist in the NFL, that is physical. Look at his drops and again the scouting report from his time at Bama, he is not a natural hands catcher, he struggles with it and always has, physical. I think his 2 biggest issues are actually both physical as opposed to mental, I don't even know what you would say his mental issue is ? Inflated opinion of self who thinks he should get more targets than fails to deliver when he does ? Not very clutch ? His drops were at terrible times yesterday which cost the win, so maybe that.
    He had five drops in the first 14 games. Then he had 5 drops in 1 game. If you’re familiar with baseball, great pitchers and hitters sometimes just don’t have it for a game or two (sometimes longer). They have the same physical skill, but for unknown reasons lose mental sharpness. Jeudy may be the best route runner in the NFL. I’m not worried about his physical abilities. I will be concerned about his mental focus if he starts stacking games like this last one. I am hopeful it was just an anomaly.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by qbronco View Post

He had five drops in the first 14 games. Then he had 5 drops in 1 game. If you’re familiar with baseball, great pitchers and hitters sometimes just don’t have it for a game or two (sometimes longer). They have the same physical skill, but for unknown reasons lose mental sharpness. Jeudy may be the best route runner in the NFL. I’m not worried about his physical abilities. I will be concerned about his mental focus if he starts stacking games like this last one. I am hopeful it was just an anomaly.
      Yes he may have had 5 drops that went into the stats but what the nfl defines as a drop will differ from most fans. It has to be 100% on the target. For example if a pass gets knocked out of his hands it isn’t a drop or if he to jump or extend for the ball it won’t count as a drop.

so yes per the nfl he had 5 drops but there were probably about 20 other catchable passes that he didn’t catch.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

Yes he may have had 5 drops that went into the stats but what the nfl defines as a drop will differ from most fans. It has to be 100% on the target. For example if a pass gets knocked out of his hands it isn’t a drop or if he to jump or extend for the ball it won’t count as a drop.

so yes per the nfl he had 5 drops but there were probably about 20 other catchable passes that he didn’t catch.
        Just saw an article written about his drop issue. 12 official drops. It is only bronco wire. He is the most targeted bronco with a 44% completion rate. I want to say that Lock and Jeudy both play into that low completion rate. Jeudy leads the league in drops and passes not caught (I would assume drops plus breakups, and off target throws).

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/202...6T8eaWxwrSmW90

Comment

It seems the drop stat needs some work. For the NFL I would think if the ball hits both hands it is a drop. It is hits the finger tips it is not a drop, It really does not matter to me how extended the WR was when it happened...NFL WRs are supposed to be able to extend themselves and catch balls that hit both of their hands

Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by RockWarrior84 View Post

Just saw an article written about his drop issue. 12 official drops. It is only bronco wire. He is the most targeted bronco with a 44% completion rate. I want to say that Lock and Jeudy both play into that low completion rate. Jeudy leads the league in drops and passes not caught (I would assume drops plus breakups, and off target throws).

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/202...6T8eaWxwrSmW90
            I will say that Lock doesn’t always have a good spiral and that probably plays into it a bit. But yeah I really think Jeudy needs his depth perception checked because his hands never seem to be ready for the pass. Another issue is because Jeudy is such an advanced route runner, he often does a little too much to create separation which makes it incredibly hard to build chemistry with a young QB. That and a lack of strength gets him moved way off his spot at times.

There was a curl route against the Chargers where it looks like Lock was way off on the pass but I guarantee you Lock put that ball where Jeudy should have been, and Jeudy got moved off his spot due to contact or trying to avoid contact. Also on one of the slants he dropped, he had an incredible release to get away from the press and Lock put it right on him but if you look at his release he jumps like almost 5 yards to his left (maybe an exaggeration)before snapping into his slant. Young QBs aren’t expecting their guy to go that far into the opposite direction of his route and it just creates this timing issue that Lock honestly doesn’t seem to have with his other targets.

Comment

Originally posted by qbronco View Post

Oh my god. One thread you have a guy saying Jeudy would be top 5 receiver with Mahomes as his quarterback, then in another he is "the best route runner" in the NFL. People need to stop treating this guy like he is some elite prospect who you don't see every single year in the draft. Jeudy was a good college receiver who had advanced route-running skills, but a lot of the issues this year were expected based on where his development was and the weaknesses he showed at Alabama.

Look, this guy was a pick in the mid-teens to late 20's, and projected as a great number 2 option. But this non-sense treating him like he was an elite receiver prospect up there with the likes of Julio Jones, AJ Green, or Calvin Johnson is not true. I get the love from the fans when he was first drafted, he is fast and put together a mean highlight video, but these comments by some are getting downright absurd, and again the expectations far outweigh reality around here.

Comment

Oh my god. One thread you have a guy saying Jeudy would be top 5 receiver with Mahomes ...
                I heard kinda the same thing on the radio. They were talking about another rookie WR who is doing well in Minnesota. They said if you flipped that guy for Jeudy, he'd be struggling here and Jeudy would be successful. But, what I don't get is how changing teams helps you clean up a pass-dropping issue you've had throughout college.

Comment

Originally posted by DiveInstructor View Post

I heard kinda the same thing on the radio. They were talking about another rookie WR who is doing well in Minnesota. They said if you flipped that guy for Jeudy, he'd be struggling here and Jeudy would be successful. But, what I don't get is how changing teams helps you clean up a pass-dropping issue you've had throughout college.
                  That is nothing but fan talk, gotta tell yourself some story to try and feel better though, but that all means nothing. Jefferson was better also in my opinion, an unpopular "hater" opinion apparently at the time.

Comment

That is nothing but fan talk, gotta tell yourself some story to try and feel better though, but that all means nothing. Jefferson was better also in my opinion, an unpopular "hater" opinion apparently at the time.
                    Many times we see a positional guy do great on a good team, move on to another for the money, and their performance significantly declines. However, WR is one of those positions that a guy with great hands can still look great on a crappy team. I'm sure there's some difference in performance caused by one guy having Kubes as the offensive mind and the other having Shurmur, but when the ball comes their way, it's pretty much up to them to make the play. I fear Jeudy is little more than speed. When they picked him, I kinda felt like I was watching the Raiders draft. I hope he works out, but right now they overpaid.
                    Last edited by DiveInstructor; 12-30-2020, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Oh my god. One thread you have a guy saying Jeudy would be top 5 receiver with Mahomes as his quarterback, then in another he is "the best route runner" in the NFL. People need to stop treating this guy like he is some elite prospect who you don't see every single year in the draft. Jeudy was a good college receiver who had advanced route-running skills, but a lot of the issues this year were expected based on where his development was and the weaknesses he showed at Alabama.

Look, this guy was a pick in the mid-teens to late 20's, and projected as a great number 2 option. But this non-sense treating him like he was an elite receiver prospect up there with the likes of Julio Jones, AJ Green, or Calvin Johnson is not true. I get the love from the fans when he was first drafted, he is fast and put together a mean highlight video, but these comments by some are getting downright absurd, and again the expectations far outweigh reality around here.
                      So what? I find the compulsion to constantly "correct" other fans to be even more absurd. Not to mention you're creating an argument using incomplete info. Jerry Rice and Tony Gonzales both had serious drop issues early in their careers. You can't judge a player only on his rookie season in a "normal" year let alone this one. Yes, I know, other rookies are playing better but to make a final judgement on Jeudy at this point in time is absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post

So what? I find the compulsion to constantly "correct" other fans to be even more absurd. Not to mention you're creating an argument using incomplete info. Jerry Rice and Tony Gonzales both had serious drop issues early in their careers. You can't judge a player only on his rookie season in a "normal" year let alone this one. Yes, I know, other rookies are playing better but to make a final judgement on Jeudy at this point in time is absurd.
                        Who made a final judgement on Jeudy ? I just mentioned the issues evident at Alabama are what we are seeing right now. I have constantly said I think Jeudy will be fine, I see his ceiling as a good number 2 with Calvin Ridley being the best we can hope for, that is reasonable but not guaranteed either.

But what I said doesn't change regardless of what his career turns into. Jeudy is a guy you see every year enter the NFL draft, he wasn't an elite home run prospect like people seem to be alluding to with these grandiose claims of him being top 5 in other situations, or being the best route runner in the league, that is absurd no matter how you try to spin it off.

PS: So what ? Correcting fans ? This is a discussion forum and when you are having a discussion trying to make your point, and you say something completely left field and made up, I think it is more than reasonable to point that out as irrelevant to what you are trying to say.

Comment

I'm not worried about Jerry yet. Rookie receivers and tight ends usually take a year to adjust.

Sutton and Fant made significant strides in their second year. I think next year we'll see if Jeudy will be what we expected.

Comment

And I know people will bring up Jefferson and Lamb, but those guys have top notch receivers lined up opposite of them in Thielen in Minnesota and Cooper in Dallas. Not to mention having Dalvin Cook and Ezekiel Elliott as running backs helps.

Jeudy not having Sutton opposite of him, I believe, hurts him more than Lock. And our running game doesn't scare anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by sra84 View Post
                              And I know people will bring up Jefferson and Lamb, but those guys have top notch receivers lined up opposite of them in Thielen in Minnesota and Cooper in Dallas. Not to mention having Dalvin Cook and Ezekiel Elliott as running backs helps.

Jeudy not having Sutton opposite of him, I believe, hurts him more than Lock. And our running game doesn't scare anyone.
                              Sutton on the field won't solve Jeudy's ongoing drop problem. That's where the issue is...him dropping passes that could've turned the game around. It happened this last game (several times), and it happened back during the Titan's game. Jeudy's drop rate is pretty damn high. And, his primadonna attitude sure isn't a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by DiveInstructor View Post

Sutton on the field won't solve Jeudy's ongoing drop problem. That's where the issue is...him dropping passes that could've turned the game around. It happened this last game (several times), and it happened back during the Titan's game. Jeudy's drop rate is pretty damn high. And, his primadonna attitude sure isn't a good thing.
                                I didn't say it would solve Jerry's problem, I said having Sutton would help his overall production.

His drops are something he and the coaches need to work on. And I've been very critical of this coaching staff not helping develop the young players.

Guys can become better at catching, better at not fumbling, better at making smart decisions and not throwing interceptions. They have to work at it, and the coaches have to work with them.

Comment

Working...
                                X