Did we draft the wrong WR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sra84 View Post

I didn't say it would solve Jerry's problem, I said having Sutton would help his overall production.

His drops are something he and the coaches need to work on. And I've been very critical of this coaching staff not helping develop the young players.

Guys can become better at catching, better at not fumbling, better at making smart decisions and not throwing interceptions. They have to work at it, and the coaches have to work with them.
    i mean isn't a coach getting paid to help players improve at the things they are bad at? definitely positions coaches are paid for that.
    sigpic
    oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Comment

I didn't say it would solve Jerry's problem, I said having Sutton would help his overall production.

His drops are something he and the coaches need to work on. And I've been very critical of this coaching staff not helping develop the young players.

Guys can become better at catching, better at not fumbling, better at making smart decisions and not throwing interceptions. They have to work at it, and the coaches have to work with them.

His overall production is affected by his ability to hold on to the ball and run after the catch. He's the most targeted receiver on the team. It's not like the balls aren't coming his way, although if you listen to him, he sure makes it sound like he isn't getting the ball. Kinda the diva...another bad habit of his.

He may be like Lock....resorts to bad habits in crunch time. He's had the problem through college, and it might be something he can't shake. He definitely doesn't look like he has great hands, and great hands are a bigger asset to a receiver than just being fast.

This might be another one of Elway's first round busts.

Comment

Or it could take away from it further. We will see, but we just don't know. Guys who can play still often find a way to produce with bad quarterbacks in the game, look at Sutton last year, he had a career year. Again, not saying the story is written on Jeudy, but these excuses for him which are just being made up and allusions made are not reality, it's delusion to make you feel better about his bad play. Also blaming blatant drops by a player on a coach and not the player himself is beyond unrealistic, that is not a coaching issue. A professional wide reciever shouldn't need to be taught how to catch, especially top prospects you spend valuable assets on.

Tell me what coaching points you are refering to also ? I find fans blame coaches, coordinators, etc. with no idea on the specifics of what is happening in the first place, and don't have the understanding or depth of knowledge to point out the actual "coaching faults" they like to blame.

Comment

Yes, the Broncos drafted the wrong receiver. They would have been better off drafting Ruggs. Maybe he could get enough separation to mitigate Lock’s penchant for throwing interceptions.
          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
          You Mad Bro?
          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
            Yes, the Broncos drafted the wrong receiver. They would have been better off drafting Ruggs. Maybe he could get enough separation to mitigate Lock’s penchant for throwing interceptions.
            Would you have wanted to trade up then?

Comment

Originally posted by BiscuitBronco View Post

Would you have wanted to trade up then?
              I was just using Ruggs as an example, but I would have been fine with any move that resulted in a productive player.

Going into the last game, Jeudy had apparently been targeted 91 times for only 41 receptions. Maybe a different receiver would have produced better results. Maybe they would have been better off drafting a different position in that spot.
              My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
              You Mad Bro?
              Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post

Good point

When compared against other WRs on the team Jerry has the most yards, 2nd in receptions by 2. Patrick beats him in receptions (49 vs 47) and TD (6 vs 2) but Jerry has the edge on first down catches. Jerry also leads the team on average yards per reception. The big number to me that separates our top two WRs this year...Jerry got his numbers on 106 targets....Patrick got his with 75 targets.

This whole narrative on Jerry may change if he starts being more reliable with catches.
                I'd say that Jeudy is exactly who they thought he was when they drafted him. He has some amazing strengths and some glaring weaknesses. It sucks that our WR1 missed almost the entire season because that's who we were going build our passing Offense around, and Jeudy was supposed to be a piece in that puzzle that opposing DC's would find hard to solve. I'd also say that Tim Patrick has done a solid job of stepping in after Sutton went down and that nobody but Jeudy is to blame for his poor performance against the Chargers because the plays were there. Jeudy was open again and again. Lock delivered catchable passes to him. Jeudy blew it with drops. So, I expect Jeudy the rookie to work on that and come back stronger as a better receiver. Get the kid a Juggs machine and have him go at it. Give the kid a good, solid NFL offseason workout to get stronger because he's frail looking as all heck.
                Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

Too early to tell yet, but other posts have already pointed out the Jeudy had bobbling issues. If they haven't been corrected yet its hard to know of it will in the future.The only other WR I would not have picked is Ruggs. Lamb looks phenomenal, and so does Jefferson. Both would have helped this team. Had Sutton been out earlier than the draft I dont think there's any doubt Lamb is the pick.
                  Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
                    I'd say that Jeudy is exactly who they thought he was when they drafted him.
                    Are you sure ? Were you here on draft night ? The reaction to Jeudy was somewhat of lunacy with crazy overreaction to what he was, and an all attack was made on me for offering up a balanced take on his college play. I don't think this is what Jeudy was sold to everyone as by this fanbase, he was meant to be elite and dominate from day 1.

Comment

I remember people opposing the idea of drafting Jeudy because of dropped passes. Those people may have been correct.
                      You Mad Bro?
                      Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

I more opposed the pick because I thought taking a guy who has the ceiling of a number 2 receiver at 15 wasn't great value. I also thought as history shows us the range to hit on receivers is in that 20-50 range. I think Jeudy will be good, but he just wasn't worth the pick in my opinion, and what compounded the issue for me was how thin our roster was at other spots making the pick a luxury a bottom feeder team like us couldn't take. But apparently, double-dipping was smart and would be best for a young quarterback who has looked best throwing to a guy we grabbed off the scrap heap.

Comment

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post

Are you sure ? Were you here on draft night ? The reaction to Jeudy was somewhat of lunacy with crazy overreaction to what he was, and an all attack was made on me for offering up a balanced take on his college play. I don't think this is what Jeudy was sold to everyone as by this fanbase, he was meant to be elite and dominate from day 1.
                          I think the Broncos saw him as a great compliment to Sutton. That makes him the #2WR. If our WR corps wasn't so weak I think he would have been seen as #2/#3 as a rookie but we didn't really have anyone that looked like they could bump him out of the #2 spot. I don't go by how this place reacts all of the time. For what should be obvious reasons.
                          Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

But Rice soon began to slump, dropping passes in losses to the Bears and Lions. He was often wide open when balls bounced off his hands. Walsh re-inserted Solomon as the starter, though Rice still played more snaps than the veteran. Rice's confidence began to wane. Rice dropped two passes and fumbled against the Chiefs in a game that the Niners won 31-3. The team coasted to a victory, but the rookie had what Walsh called "a personal crisis" on the sidelines. "We all had a visit with him," Walsh said, noting that veterans Dwight Clark and Solomon were doing their best to help Rice along. "He's a 21-year-old man going through a learning process."
                            https://www.footballoutsiders.com/wa...ce-rookie-bust

Davante Adams dropped nearly 10% of his catchable targets during his rookie year. He turned out fine.

Jeudy will be fine. He had 4 drops all year before a disastrous 6 against LAC.

2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
                            Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post

Davante Adams dropped nearly 10% of his catchable targets during his rookie year. He turned out fine.

Good comparison, to continue that comparison of Adams, Davante has 6 drops this season. If you exclude that disaster against LA, Jeudy would have less drops than someone who is consider one of, if not these best wide outs in the game right now. The difference between them on the base level is weight and QB. They are the same highest but Adams weighs 22lbs more...frames, I'd say Adams have a slightly bigger frame, not nothing too noticeable. So I don't count it. But that second thing thats different is QB.
                              Aaron Rodgers and Drew Lock.

As amazing as Adams is, it helps that he has a QB that is always throwing him a catchable ball. It's the perfect combo. As great as Favre was, it's known that he didn't delver catchable balls every throw. Brett mostly just threw shells from his howitzer arm, you can catch em....but they hurt. Donald Driver talked a lot about how hard it is catching throws from Brett and the pain in the hands that came with it.

Anyways rambled a bit. Lock doesn't throw catchable balls often, some of Jeudy's drops were his own fault, but some in that LA game was Lock throwing bad balls. A wide out with great hands can compensate for bad balls, but clearly Jeudy isn't there yet...and it's fine bc he is indeed a rookie. Shouldn't expect Randall Moss or Larry Fitzgerald out of a rookie wide out.
                              sigpic
                              Adopted Broncos:
                              EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post

I have thought about Adams a lot over the last year or two, remembering how I wasn't sure if he'd every be a complete player early on in his career. He seemed unreliable at the time. He has done a great job to improve his game and in fact, get to the top tier of WRs in the NFL.

Comment

Working...
                                X