Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did we draft the wrong WR?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by listopencil View Post

    I think the Broncos saw him as a great compliment to Sutton. That makes him the #2WR. If our WR corps wasn't so weak I think he would have been seen as #2/#3 as a rookie but we didn't really have anyone that looked like they could bump him out of the #2 spot. I don't go by how this place reacts all of the time. For what should be obvious reasons.
    Doesn't change the value of taking a number 2 receiver that high. I think if he becomes Calvin Ridley, a better comparison to anyone else both coming out skill wise, and projection wise, it will be a win. But something fans always love to do, pick the outlier comparison of a guy with similar struggles early and attach it to one guy who became successful. If you want to play that game when projecting a struggling rookie, you will find the drop issues of most guys early doesn't lead to elite level projection like Davante Adams.

    Also, Adams coming out was regarded as a guy who could beat the press and didn't have that issue that Jeudy had due to his thin frame. Adams from memory was regarded as a natural hands catcher who just had some drops early on, something Jeudy wasn't. I would say skill-wise early on they were not alike at all and the comparison is actually horrible outside of some drop issues early. The issues of the 2 players and the reasons for the subsequent drops really doesn't actually compare, not a good comparison.

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post

      Doesn't change the value of taking a number 2 receiver that high. I think if he becomes Calvin Ridley, a better comparison to anyone else both coming out skill wise, and projection wise, it will be a win. But something fans always love to do, pick the outlier comparison of a guy with similar struggles early and attach it to one guy who became successful. If you want to play that game when projecting a struggling rookie, you will find the drop issues of most guys early doesn't lead to elite level projection like Davante Adams.

      Also, Adams coming out was regarded as a guy who could beat the press and didn't have that issue that Jeudy had due to his thin frame. Adams from memory was regarded as a natural hands catcher who just had some drops early on, something Jeudy wasn't. I would say skill-wise early on they were not alike at all and the comparison is actually horrible outside of some drop issues early. The issues of the 2 players and the reasons for the subsequent drops really doesn't actually compare, not a good comparison.
      I wasn't addressing the value of the pick, only what the Broncos saw him as when they picked him. And to me it's pretty obvious that they saw him as the long term answer at the #2WR position. So, with that being said, is a long term answer at the #2WR position worth the pick? Depends on the team. I honestly do think that it's not unlikely that the Broncos wanted Ruggs and settled for Jeudy. They went BPA at a position of need. Recently we have sucked at developing WR's.Before the draft we had Sutton...and then nothing special. So I can see why they might have valued it like that. Of course we can disagree with them. I still would rather have traded our 1st and 2nd picks to move up to take someone like OT Becton to start at RT for us. I'd value Becton over Jeudy and Hamler, and I felt that way before James opted out.
      Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

      Comment


      • #93
        Takes 2 to trade many on here forget this when they endlessly ridicule elway. Like this year. Certain people are already calling him out for not getting Lawrence or fields which is so... well let's not go there.

        Comment


        • #94
          I guess looking at this rather strange season as the only frame of reference we could have taken Reagor or Jefferson, (drafted after Jeudy in R1) and Claypool instead of Hamler (R2) but 2020 hindsight is not all that. It's just a glimpse.

          In the fullness of time I think we will be very pleased with Jeudy and Hamler.

          I'm going to make a completely unsubstantiated claim but I reckon the 2020 draft will end up being the best Denver draft haul in living memory.

          Comment


          • #95
            All that talk of Lamb and his most important reception of the entire year he drops in the bread basket with playoffs on the line.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
              All that talk of Lamb and his most important reception of the entire year he drops in the bread basket with playoffs on the line.
              Is that supposed to mean he’s not as good as or better than Jeudy?

              Still have to look at the season as a whole.
              My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
              You Mad Bro?
              Don’t Be A Mean Girl

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by broncolee View Post

                Is that supposed to mean he’s not as good as or better than Jeudy?

                Still have to look at the season as a whole.
                Not at all. But his overall stats for the season aren’t exactly blowing Juedy away. And he also made a critical drop similar to what Juedy did last week.

                I guess more what I’m saying is it’s extremely possible the stud rookies could be struggling just as bad in our anemic offense.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #98
                  Imagine giving up on a receiver in his first year that posted closd to 900 yards. Every receiver on the team has had struggles with drops.

                  Inconsistent QB play will cause inconsistent WR play when youth is in play. Give jeudy Kirk cousins and he puts up 1300 easy.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    No, they did not draft the wrong receiver....they drafted a stud and the next dozen years will prove it

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Justblaze2729 View Post
                      Imagine giving up on a receiver in his first year that posted closd to 900 yards. Every receiver on the team has had struggles with drops.

                      Inconsistent QB play will cause inconsistent WR play when youth is in play. Give jeudy Kirk cousins and he puts up 1300 easy.
                      jeudy puts up 1300 yards with kirk cousins? really?

                      Comment


                      • Hmm. Sutton and Jeudy as WR#1 and WR#2. I liked Tim Patrick this year as the season went on but he's a 2021 RFA so Hamler as the #3WR and you swap him in and out with TE#2, which is Vannett right now because Fumagali and Butt are also RFA's. That would work. You can build an Offense around that.So, no, I can't say that they picked the wrong WR.
                        Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post

                          Who made a final judgement on Jeudy ? I just mentioned the issues evident at Alabama are what we are seeing right now. I have constantly said I think Jeudy will be fine, I see his ceiling as a good number 2 with Calvin Ridley being the best we can hope for, that is reasonable but not guaranteed either.

                          But what I said doesn't change regardless of what his career turns into. Jeudy is a guy you see every year enter the NFL draft, he wasn't an elite home run prospect like people seem to be alluding to with these grandiose claims of him being top 5 in other situations, or being the best route runner in the league, that is absurd no matter how you try to spin it off.

                          PS: So what ? Correcting fans ? This is a discussion forum and when you are having a discussion trying to make your point, and you say something completely left field and made up, I think it is more than reasonable to point that out as irrelevant to what you are trying to say.
                          Yes so what. Who are you to "correct" fans on OPINIONS?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post

                            Doesn't change the value of taking a number 2 receiver that high. I think if he becomes Calvin Ridley, a better comparison to anyone else both coming out skill wise, and projection wise, it will be a win. But something fans always love to do, pick the outlier comparison of a guy with similar struggles early and attach it to one guy who became successful. If you want to play that game when projecting a struggling rookie, you will find the drop issues of most guys early doesn't lead to elite level projection like Davante Adams.

                            Also, Adams coming out was regarded as a guy who could beat the press and didn't have that issue that Jeudy had due to his thin frame. Adams from memory was regarded as a natural hands catcher who just had some drops early on, something Jeudy wasn't. I would say skill-wise early on they were not alike at all and the comparison is actually horrible outside of some drop issues early. The issues of the 2 players and the reasons for the subsequent drops really doesn't actually compare, not a good comparison.
                            Here's another great example of changing an opinion into a fact. It is only your OPINION Jeudy is a "number 2" receiver, whatever that means. Then you take your opinion and turn it into a fact and construct your entire argument on a faulty premise. My opinion is, Jeudy has "#1" potential. And as I said earlier in this thread, IMO Jeudy may not end up being the best WR in this class, but he's the least likely to bust. This is my OPINION. Now you will pretend my opinion is an incorrect fact that you "must" correct, when in reality it's unprovable. You correct "opinions". I'll correct faulty logic and fallacies.

                            Comment


                            • I think Judy's biggest issue this year was adjusting to the velocity in which lock delivers the ball. I think if they put in the time and effort they can correct this issue. Lock can put more touch on the ball and jeudy just getting more reps and chemistry with his new QB.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
                                No, they did not draft the wrong receiver....they drafted a stud and the next dozen years will prove it
                                Spot On !!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X