Justin Simmons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin Simmons

Seeing ESPN suggesting Dallas trade for Simmons for a 2nd and 4th got me wondering if you all think that is good value.

I'd prefer he got a contract extension here, but with whats going on don't have faith we would be able to afford him next season.
    sigpic WHEC-724

If they are ready to give up on the season, then that might be a conversation worth having. Though, Dallas losing Dak really hurts their rpotential un in to post season so I am not sure how interested they'd be.

Heck, it might still be worth entertaining offers. I like Simmons but I think he's somewhat overrated. If a deal was worth it then it's worth thinking about.

Comment

Great value, would jump on that in a heartbeat. Simmons is good, even great on the occasional Sunday, but he is still that consistent guy to me who if you pay him that 15 million-plus contract, it will only be a letdown and drain on the cap for years to come. He is not a game-breaker.

Comment

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
        Great value, would jump on that in a heartbeat. Simmons is good, even great on the occasional Sunday, but he is still that consistent guy to me who if you pay him that 15 million-plus contract, it will only be a letdown and drain on the cap for years to come. He is not a game-breaker.
        This is where I find myself largely. He is a great person, showing leadership but is wildly inconsistent and when you're pushing for top of market money you need and expect consistent play.

Comment

I like Simmons, I think he is still progressing. I think it would be unwise to move on him now...or ever. Durability, good teammate and great leadership are parts we'd be giving up and for what? Maybe the next safety is maybe as good? No thanks, let good enough be sometimes?!?!

Comment

Yeah. They have 2 thirds, though. I'd try to get the 2nd third instead of the 4th. Maybe sweeten the deal by throwing in a later pick. We're probably going to be picking in the top half of the 5th round, and Dallas' division is so trashy that they'll inevitably win games. I have a feeling they're going to be better with Dalton than people expect. On paper, they might win their division, and their 2nd rounder will be in the back half.

I'd still make the deal for the 2nd and 4th in the end if I had to though.

Comment

I always want more value than what is reasonable and that does sound reasonable. I don't love it purely from the perspective of when guys prove they are team leaders, and it is time to pay them and then we trade them instead of paying them, I feel like it can send the wrong message. At least in this case anyway.

Comment

The question would become who do you replace him with? Duke Dawson, Trey Marshall and then restart the process of developing potentially 2 new young safeties because Jackson isn’t going to be here long term either? If we’re gearing up for a playoff push it’s going to be hard with inexperienced safeties.

Id take that deal for Jackson and see where Simmons value winds up. I don’t think he’ll end up getting as much as we offered this past year.

Comment

I would trade him for the 2nd and 4th

Simmons seems to be the kind of player who wants to be the highest paid. His play does not back that up. Additionally 2021 will be a very odd year to be considering making someone the highest paid at anything imo
                  Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

The rumours have been completely debunked by both the Cowboys and Broncos, both say they've had no talks about Simmons. And there's a screenshot of texts, supposedly of Simmons in a conversation, going around that has been said to be completely fake by Simmons himself. All of this is per Benjamin Allbright investigating the rumours.

So there's nothing to see here at this point in time.

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
                      I like Simmons, I think he is still progressing. I think it would be unwise to move on him now...or ever. Durability, good teammate and great leadership are parts we'd be giving up and for what? Maybe the next safety is maybe as good? No thanks, let good enough be sometimes?!?!
                      Good enough is fine, but not when they are playing on the franchise tag and wanting one of the richest deals ever for playing the position. Context matters, and Simmons being "good enough" just isn't good enough on the money he wants.

Comment

Wow you guys turn on players fast....

Comment

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post

Good enough is fine, but not when they are playing on the franchise tag and wanting one of the richest deals ever for playing the position. Context matters, and Simmons being "good enough" just isn't good enough on the money he wants.
                          The money he wants and the money he gets are going to be different, imo. He's not playing as good this year as he did last year but thats going to be normal for every player. He bet on himself and I don't think he gets that big contract. He'll get paid but it won't be highest paid level. If he sticks to his guns and won't back off that demand then he probably will be traded but I just don't see it

Comment

That's the good thing about a franchise tag sometimes. If you pay him with a huge contract and he stinks or is just average, it is good to "kick the tires" on the tag before buying in long term.

Comment

Remember all of the years of having horrible safety play?

Marquan Manuel? Marlon McCree? Renaldo Hill? Nick Ferguson? Calvin Lowry?

Ugh.....

We finally have a homegrown (drafted) player who has developed into not only a great playmaker, but also a great leader for the team and the community. You keep that man, and pay him.

Comment

Working...
                              X