No announcement yet.

Justin Simmons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard decision but Simmons has been the only contact play in the backfield with Chris Harris aging and loved on from. He is flashy but he is above average starter and dependable. He play more snaps then any other defender.

Comment

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
      Remember all of the years of having horrible safety play?

Marquan Manuel? Marlon McCree? Renaldo Hill? Nick Ferguson? Calvin Lowry?

Ugh.....

We finally have a homegrown (drafted) player who has developed into not only a great playmaker, but also a great leader for the team and the community. You keep that man, and pay him.
      Totally agree....like I said, let good enough be

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post

The money he wants and the money he gets are going to be different, imo. He's not playing as good this year as he did last year but thats going to be normal for every player. He bet on himself and I don't think he gets that big contract. He'll get paid but it won't be highest paid level. If he sticks to his guns and won't back off that demand then he probably will be traded but I just don't see it
        Well what does a "good enough" player get paid then ? What is a "good enough" contract? Because in the off-season when I said exactly the way this has panned out, and the concerns with paying him large money for the long-term, I was apparently a hater. But now, he is again the inconsistent, decent safety he has always been I guess, but how much money does that equal ? Also, the homegrown story is cute and all, but it's a business and if he isn't earning it, you don't just "pay that man" because we managed to develop a solid player after having terrible safeties for years, that is not a smart way to build a team.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
          Wow you guys turn on players fast....
          Fast? 3 things have happened over the course of months....1 Cap is going down, 2 Simmons is demanding to be the highest paid and 3. Simmons play is not elite.

Since I have supported paying him he turned down any offer than did not make him the highest paid safety. He has looked exppsed in games this year. There is no room for a player who wants to be top paid and to be giving up plays in the secondary almost every week. Specially when that contract will come in 2021 when the cap will start going down and maybe go down for years since the NFLPA wants to spread the lowered cap hit for 2021 over multiple years.
          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post

Well what does a "good enough" player get paid then ? What is a "good enough" contract? Because in the off-season when I said exactly the way this has panned out, and the concerns with paying him large money for the long-term, I was apparently a hater. But now, he is again the inconsistent, decent safety he has always been I guess, but how much money does that equal ? Also, the homegrown story is cute and all, but it's a business and if he isn't earning it, you don't just "pay that man" because we managed to develop a solid player after having terrible safeties for years, that is not a smart way to build a team.
            I don't think I've ever advocated making him highest paid. I don't think he should be highest paid and I don't think Elway thinks he should be highest paid. He should be paid though and I think top 5 isn't that unfair. He hasn't had that spectacular season so far but that can also be contributed towards all the defensive injuries. All parts of a defense rely on each other and compliment each other.

With a fully healthy defense I think he does have better numbers. We should be thankful he isn't having that stellar season because that price range just dropped. I'm not totally against trading him off but I just worry how long will we have to wait before we find another decent safety again? Justin is a good safety and possesses a LOT of good qualities... Worth keeping imo

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post

I don't think I've ever advocated making him highest paid. I don't think he should be highest paid and I don't think Elway thinks he should be highest paid. He should be paid though and I think top 5 isn't that unfair. He hasn't had that spectacular season so far but that can also be contributed towards all the defensive injuries. All parts of a defense rely on each other and compliment each other.

With a fully healthy defense I think he does have better numbers. We should be thankful he isn't having that stellar season because that price range just dropped. I'm not totally against trading him off but I just worry how long will we have to wait before we find another decent safety again? Justin is a good safety and possesses a LOT of good qualities... Worth keeping imo
              Agree with what you said and liked the post.

Problem I have with the bolded part is if Simmons wants to be the big dog in terms of pay than he needs to be making the 1 on 1 kind of plays he has been missing this year. It really does not matter the talent around him...big dawgs get big contracts and make the 1 on 1 plays.

I am struggling when I would accept this...as honestly I think average players make plays when the defense is good around them. There is merit to this point I am just not sure at what pay point am I ok with a safety not being able to make the 1 on 1 plays. Top 10? Top 15? Top 20?
              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

The week 1 game for Simmons was awful, although I think he was set up for failure with Jewell being forced into the rotation. Simmons has definitely stepped it up though, and has led to a couple of our big plays, see the int yesterday that he tipped. I wouldn't take the deal, I would make him and Harris our priorities this off-season.
                What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                I don't know and I don't care

Comment

Simmons' biggest fan is Fangio. I believe Simmons is the only Bronco defensive player to play every snap this year.

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
                    Simmons' biggest fan is Fangio. I believe Simmons is the only Bronco defensive player to play every snap this year.
                    Alexander Johnson and Kareem Jackson have also played 100% of defensive snaps, so far, this season. Callahan and Ojemudia are close.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
                    X