How do you throw it there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

This Head Coach does not call the offensive plays. But with the Patriots selling out to stop the run and Denver losing yardage several run plays in a row, I don't have a problem with them calling the pass play. I have more of a problem with the QB trying to go deep both times, rather than taking something more high percentage.
    Yes!! If you need to defeat a rush defense, there are very safe, high percentage passes that attack that kind of defense but aren't near as risky, and more importantly in that particular situation, keep the clock going and/or make pats call a time out. Even an incompletion there is stupid, so taking that shot at that time was terrible coaching (even if they would have completed it).

Comment

Here's a video going over some of the longer passes against the Pats:

Comment

I love this board sometimes. Last year it was why do we go so conservative it cost us games we need to be more aggressive. Now is why are we going so aggressive we should be more conservative. I don't mind the shots taken. The first pick looked like a miscommunication. Lock was going for the chains and the receiver was going down the field.

The second pick sucks and probably shouldn't have thrown it but he was a gun slinger in college and I don't see that changing now in the league. He will have those throws but he will also have those dimes like the one to Patrick down the sideline. Give him time to feel with his receivers and give him time to grow and I think we will have a solid offense that can take those shots in the late game situations. I rather lose a game trying to seal it than going conservative and watching the team lose it that way.

Adopted Broncos:
        (2011-2013) Eric Decker
        (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
        (2019-Current) Drew Lock
        Adopted posters:
        Everyone

Comment

^Large generalities are very easy. I was talking about one very specific play at a specific time. Many if not most NFL games come down to a few plays. I love the gunslinger aspect of Lock, it is up to the coach(es) to make sure to reign it in when it is the completely wrong mindset for the situation by calling the right play.

Comment

Lock is a gunslinger but I think he is a smart kid too. I think he was realizing that Denver needed to put some points up to stay in control of the game. If the bomb on first down is Lock's decision it was too hasty for the down and time left in the game. In my criticism I am also happy our QB doesn't want to always play it safe because just like in the SEC there are not a lot of safe leads in the NFL. I just hope he forces the ball to Patrick, Jeudy or Fant instead of someone else in the future.

Comment

How good was bellicheck on cleveland?

Give it time.
              Sept. 10, 2006, [email protected] 10-18, Sept. 28, 2008, [email protected] 19-33, Nov. 16, 2014, [email protected] 7-22 <--Broncos games I've attended

Comment

Sure play calling can be questionable at times but I think every team in the league could be accused of that. I'm actually happy to see all these deep shots. How many times over the last handful of years have we (myself included) cryed about all the dink and dunk pass approach?

We finally have a OC and a kid who wants to push the ball down field !! Thank you!! That's what I say and it if we didn't lead the league in drops the numbers would look a ton better.

Comment

At that point in the game momentum was shifting, the Patriots had just brought the game within one score after being down by multiple for most the game.

I can see how it’s tempting as a play caller and QB to stop bleeding, they had a chance to essentially win the game with one pass, why not try?

The problem was the o-line didn’t hold up and Lock couldn’t make the throw with a defender in his face. Probably the best thing would’ve been a Manning/Orton give up sack. No point risking the throw in that situation with a defender in your face.

Comment

Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post
                    You know how you end up like the Cleveland Browns? By firing your coach every year. Be patient.

We just won. I think Aaron Rodgers put it best, R-E-L-A-X.
                    Incorrect. You end up like the Browns by having horrible management hire horrible coaches.

Comment

After watching the replay of the game, I kinda liked some of the aggressive play calling. It will be fun when they start converting some more long passes!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
                        Sure play calling can be questionable at times but I think every team in the league could be accused of that. I'm actually happy to see all these deep shots. How many times over the last handful of years have we (myself included) cryed about all the dink and dunk pass approach?

We finally have a OC and a kid who wants to push the ball down field !! Thank you!! That's what I say and it if we didn't lead the league in drops the numbers would look a ton better.
                        Exactly, the threat of the deep pass made it easier for Lindsay on the ground. As time grew short the Patriots loaded up to stop the run and did. Shurmur made the call to dial up some shots and INTs aside I don’t think it was a bad call to do that. Now I do think they should have came off play action and should’ve been one read and then check down but that’s a different story.

Comment

You guys are confusing the general concept of taking shots downfield as part of the offense, which is great for all the reasons you have mentioned, with a terrible play call at a critical time. Over time, those calls are the difference between 10-6 and 8-8 seasons. The margins in the NFL are tiny and you need a coach who understands timeouts and game management.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

Exactly, the threat of the deep pass made it easier for Lindsay on the ground. As time grew short the Patriots loaded up to stop the run and did. Shurmur made the call to dial up some shots and INTs aside I don’t think it was a bad call to do that. Now I do think they should have came off play action and should’ve been one read and then check down but that’s a different story.
                            Denver's O was 61% run/39% pass. Lock threw 24 passes of which 8 were incomplete into the EZ (two off of play action) for 42%, but had ypa of 7.9 which means he was airing it out. Six of his passes were play action. With at least a balanced attack, more of the pass attempts should be play action IMO. I don't think either of the picked passes were play action. 21 personnel was used just a few times. For the vertical passing attack either Lindsay or Gordon would be effective rushers in 11 or 12 personnel formations. We'll see if Risner returns this week.
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by Ltsft View Post
                              You guys are confusing the general concept of taking shots downfield as part of the offense, which is great for all the reasons you have mentioned, with a terrible play call at a critical time. Over time, those calls are the difference between 10-6 and 8-8 seasons. The margins in the NFL are tiny and you need a coach who understands timeouts and game management.
                              It’s only terrible in hindsight because we saw the result. Nobody complains if Ben Roethlisberger or Russell Wilson throws deep when trying to close out a game. If those passes were incomplete instead of intercepted I guarantee the next play would’ve been a run against a defense that’s wary of a shot down the field and none of this would be talked about.

We had ran on 1st down 16 of 22 times leading up to that 2nd INT, once all second half. If there is ever a time to run a play action, that was the time. Young QB coming off an interception with an offense that has ran all but once on 1st down in the 2nd half, the Pats sent a run blitz and the blitzer hit Lock on the play. Play action would’ve made him hesitate which would allow the RB to pick him up or give Lock just enough time to make a play.

Aggressive play calling isn’t a bad thing, bad calls and poor execution are the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

It’s only terrible in hindsight because we saw the result.
                                Nope, terrible call even if completed. And I am only talking about that one play, not the other pick. Keep in mind the specifics, if the pats are down 3 or less or anything else is different, it could be a completely different conversation. The announcers commented on it too, even before the interception. If you can't manage timeouts and the clock, you might as well just be the best D coordinator in the league. Nothing wrong with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X