We Need To Score

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We Need To Score

First....congratz to The Broncs! Much needed win in Foxboro. A loss and we're likely out of the playoffs. But the win keeps us in the hunt.

But we need to score more points. We are averaging 20 points per game, which is 29th in the league. No TDs yesterday, even though we scored 6 field goals (great job McManus!). We are 30th in TDs this season. So this jumps out, even with Lock back, we are not converting. Why?

Before I go further, another shout out to our D, as we are only giving up 22 points per game. If not for them, we might be in real trouble.

Anyway....yes, we lost Lock, Sutton, Lindsay, Fant and now Gordon, for various amounts of time. That may be the crux of it. But there must be more.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by CanDB; 10-20-2020, 09:56 AM.

The offensive coaching staff has a gameplan and they're sticking to it, despite injuries, for better or worse. They're calling plays like they're a healthy unit, and they just aren't.

2 dropped passes in the endzone, weird throw it up and go get it calls at the end of the game. There seems to be no adjustment for situation or personnel.
    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

In order to win a football game, one's team needs to score more points than the opponent. There are no points awarded for style and no points deducted for lack of it. Points are equal regardless of TD, XP, FG or S. That is all.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
        In order to win a football game, one's team needs to score more points than the opponent. There are no points awarded for style and no points deducted for lack of it. Points are equal regardless of TD, XP, FG or S. That is all.
        I concur with that
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
          Sam, this is an open thread to discuss our lack of scoring. I am very simply asking folks what they think may be the reason for low scoring, and more essentially, lack of converting TDs. I know that winning means scoring more than your opponent (which anyone knows). Not sure how that addresses this open thread. Not knocking the team, rather giving it kudos for the big win.

Do you deny that we are not converting? I am quite sure that's not part of the preferred plan. That's cool sometimes, but you can not count on your D to save you too often.

I mentioned the injuries, but Lock, our #1 QB, has but 1 TD pass out of 62 pass attempts.

Anyway....anyone want to discuss what we think is happening, which no doubt includes injuries to date. Maybe that's all it is???

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
            The offensive coaching staff has a gameplan and they're sticking to it, despite injuries, for better or worse. They're calling plays like they're a healthy unit, and they just aren't.

2 dropped passes in the endzone, weird throw it up and go get it calls at the end of the game. There seems to be no adjustment for situation or personnel.
            Thx for at minimum, trying to discuss a thread topic. Apparently some think all is well.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

Sam, this is an open thread to discuss our lack of scoring. I am very simply asking folks what they think may be the reason for low scoring, and more essentially, lack of converting TDs. I know that winning means scoring more than your opponent (which anyone knows). Not sure how that addresses this open thread. Not knocking the team, rather giving it kudos for the big win.

Do you deny that we are not converting? I am quite sure that's not part of the preferred plan. That's cool sometimes, but you can not count on your D to save you too often.

I mentioned the injuries, but Lock, our #1 QB, has but 1 TD pass out of 62 pass attempts.

Anyway....anyone want to discuss what we think is happening, which no doubt includes injuries to date. Maybe that's all it is???
              I think the reason is we have a brand new offense that had little offseason, no preseason, and have had 3 different starting QBs in 5 games. I don’t think any team can expect consistent scoring given those circumstances.

Add in the fact that our #1 receiver is out for the year after a game and a half, our #2 receiver is a rookie, our starting RB has missed multiple games, our second back missed a game, our starting TE was out yesterday, there have been injuries on the o-line. Should anyone expect us to be a high scoring team right now?
              Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post

I think the reason is we have a brand new offense that had little offseason, no preseason, and have had 3 different starting QBs in 5 games. I don’t think any team can expect consistent scoring given those circumstances.

Add in the fact that our #1 receiver is out for the year after a game and a half, our #2 receiver is a rookie, our starting RB has missed multiple games, our second back missed a game, our starting TE was out yesterday, there have been injuries on the o-line. Should anyone expect us to be a high scoring team right now?
                I agree, we should not be a high scoring team with all the setbacks. And yes, your response makes loads of sense. I was trying to consider all of that in my post, but wondered if we could improve TD efficiency via play design or otherwise.

Comment

Injuries are a huge part, zero adjustment to playcalling (at least I feel like this is the case) is also a thing.

Look, Fant would have likely hauled in the two dropped TD passes by the rookie TE. I'd have to assume that "most" wide receivers hang onto a ball that hits them in the hands (Desean Hamilton, I think?). We lost Sutton, Hamler, Fant.. 2 of which were a proven commodity.

I didn't see anyone getting super open yesterday, NE seemed to be defending very well. I thought Jeudy was supposed to create separation with his great route running, I didn't see that yesterday either. I did not see adjustments being made to help Lock. Seemed to me it was either Lindsay run up the middle or to the left until Risner went out, and then Lindsay to the right after he went out, each time on first down. There didn't seem to be any attempts at screen passes or checkdowns to the rb, no crossing routes, it just looked very vanilla to me. It felt like every pass attempt was just "go deep", with no short game mixed in. So we moved the ball well early, but then in the red zone we just kept trying to feed a TE that doesn't seem to know how to catch a ball.

I thought Lock was playing really well until those last 2 picks.

Comment

Originally posted by Skylan View Post
                    Injuries are a huge part, zero adjustment to playcalling (at least I feel like this is the case) is also a thing.

Look, Fant would have likely hauled in the two dropped TD passes by the rookie TE. I'd have to assume that "most" wide receivers hang onto a ball that hits them in the hands (Desean Hamilton, I think?). We lost Sutton, Hamler, Fant.. 2 of which were a proven commodity.

I didn't see anyone getting super open yesterday, NE seemed to be defending very well. I thought Jeudy was supposed to create separation with his great route running, I didn't see that yesterday either. I did not see adjustments being made to help Lock. Seemed to me it was either Lindsay run up the middle or to the left until Risner went out, and then Lindsay to the right after he went out, each time on first down. There didn't seem to be any attempts at screen passes or checkdowns to the rb, no crossing routes, it just looked very vanilla to me. It felt like every pass attempt was just "go deep", with no short game mixed in. So we moved the ball well early, but then in the red zone we just kept trying to feed a TE that doesn't seem to know how to catch a ball.

I thought Lock was playing really well until those last 2 picks.
                    I'm thinking that when Fant returns, we try to utilize him more in the end zone. I believe he could have been targeted more in a general way in earlier games as well, not just the end zone. Not so much like Gronk used to be, but in some ways similar. The Gronk's (of old), Kelce's, Kittle's, Andrew's, Waller's are worth finding often.
                    Last edited by CanDB; 10-19-2020, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

Sam, this is an open thread to discuss our lack of scoring...
                      I agree with this.

Comment

I was saying yesterday come on, we gotta score
                        ​​​​​a touchdown this drive. (We could have Blown out the Patriots in Foxboro!!!!) There was a couple of critical drops, But we were winning the game.

What ​​I didn't like, was that At the end of the game, We should have had better play calling. I really thought we were going to lose it at the end.
                        ​​​​​

Comment

Obvious thread title is obvious... Yes we need to score more points, and capitalize on redzone visits...
                          Last edited by EddieMac; 10-19-2020, 02:42 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post

I was ready to reply, but found that you hit almost everything I was going to.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
                              I was saying yesterday come on, we gotta score
                              ​​​​​a touchdown this drive. (We could have Blown out the Patriots in Foxboro!!!!) There was a couple of critical drops, But we were winning the game.

What ​​I didn't like, was that At the end of the game, We should have had better play calling. I really thought we were going to lose it at the end.
                              ​​​​​
                              Was it the play calling or was the QB trying to make something happen that he shouldn't have? You'll almost never have a pass play where there's only 1 route being run, and you'll very very rarely have a pass play where you tell the QB, you're only to throw it here. I don't know the play, nor the call, so I'm not sure if that was on the play or the player?

I would also add this, at that point in the game the Patriots were bringing the house to stop the run, and had started getting 2 and 3 yard losses on run plays. So I don't think it's the worst thing in the world to call a pass play to try and catch them in that. If Lock completes either pass for a big gain or even a TD then fans are applauding the aggressiveness of it and going to get a win rather than just running the ball.

Last thing, there are 32 teams in the NFL and fans of all 32 teams get angry about their play calling. I went on a Chefs website last week and there was complaining about how Andy Reid cost them the game against the Raiders based on play calling. No matter who the OC is, and no matter what the play call, there will be fans who are angry about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X