• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rastic View Post

I agree with this.
    Thanks!!!!

Comment

I do think Shurmur is falling into the pitfall of Lindsay being too small to play in short yardage situations. I don’t recall him getting many carries near the goalline. Gordon probably would’ve got a few more chances had he played. But Lindsay is explosive enough to run through arm tackles and small enough to hit tiny holes that bigger backs can’t and we know he has the heart to fight for every inch he can get. I do hope Shurmur takes note of the 5 wide QB draw New England ran with Cam. Cam is a bit too obvious but he can pull it off, teams might not be so quick to recognize it with Lock running it.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

Was it the play calling or was the QB trying to make something happen that he shouldn't have? You'll almost never have a pass play where there's only 1 route being run, and you'll very very rarely have a pass play where you tell the QB, you're only to throw it here. I don't know the play, nor the call, so I'm not sure if that was on the play or the player?

I would also add this, at that point in the game the Patriots were bringing the house to stop the run, and had started getting 2 and 3 yard losses on run plays. So I don't think it's the worst thing in the world to call a pass play to try and catch them in that. If Lock completes either pass for a big gain or even a TD then fans are applauding the aggressiveness of it and going to get a win rather than just running the ball.

Last thing, there are 32 teams in the NFL and fans of all 32 teams get angry about their play calling. I went on a Chefs website last week and there was complaining about how Andy Reid cost them the game against the Raiders based on play calling. No matter who the OC is, and no matter what the play call, there will be fans who are angry about it.
        We won the game in Foxboro, so I am Happy!!!!!
        Maybe some quick crossing passes, or nickel and dime high percentage short passes to the RB or TE? What they did, they almost blew it. Could you imagine being in a playoff game or being in the super bowl with this kind of stuff going on At the end of the games? All in all, I think we are still a young team and we are learning from our mistakes.

Comment

Even though they scored 14, Hamilton slowed up on a deep route that could’ve been a TD, Lock floated a pass out of Vannett’s reach that would’ve been a TD. Jeudy had some big drops that could’ve led to more points for the offense.

This offense doesn’t strike me the same as the Shanahan offense that was great between the 20s but struggled in the redzone. Yes we’ve struggled but I do think a lot of it is because of the lack of cohesion on the offense. Shurmur is still figuring out what he has on offense. The offense has been very heavy on featuring a guy early and then ignoring him for a big stretch after that. It seems preseason esque, or maybe more NBA summer league to me personally. If the offense never comes together this season then I will have some concern, but it isn’t time to panic yet.

Also New England even with the opt outs and covid stuff still has an extremely talented secondary and have excellent defensive game plans. It wasn’t surprising to see Lock struggle, but despite his struggles for the majority of the game he was able to do his part in getting the offense down the field.
          Last edited by Peanut; 10-19-2020, 06:28 PM. Reason: Deleted quoted post.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

Even though they scored 14, Hamilton slowed up on a deep route that could’ve been a TD, Lock floated a pass out of Vannett’s reach that would’ve been a TD. Jeudy had some big drops that could’ve led to more points for the offense.

This offense doesn’t strike me the same as the Shanahan offense that was great between the 20s but struggled in the redzone. Yes we’ve struggled but I do think a lot of it is because of the lack of cohesion on the offense. Shurmur is still figuring out what he has on offense. The offense has been very heavy on featuring a guy early and then ignoring him for a big stretch after that. It seems preseason esque, or maybe more NBA summer league to me personally. If the offense never comes together this season then I will have some concern, but it isn’t time to panic yet.

Also New England even with the opt outs and covid stuff still has an extremely talented secondary and have excellent defensive game plans. It wasn’t surprising to see Lock struggle, but despite his struggles for the majority of the game he was able to do his part in getting the offense down the field.
            Thanks for that!

Comment

Dropped passes specifically still an issue. I sound like a broken record but even with Lock in the game, our receivers have dropped at least 4 TD passes, and at least 4 more when lock wasn't out there. That is a lot of points!

I was also not a fan of the play calling in the 4th quarter. They loaded up to stop the run so we ran it right at them. Throw the ball 40 yards down field on first down when you can run clock by finding a WR short or over the middle shorter even a swing pass.

Comment

Lock never established any kind of threat to target a rb and after so long the Patriots figured that out. This is an area where Lock needs to improve imo. With DL we are 7 of 23 on third down conversions this season. I believe more involvement with the backs would open up other areas and in turn converting 3rds and not settling for FGs.

Once we are closer to full strength on offense I imagine our play calling will change as well. It's going to be very hard to cover our speed/skill, so we need to make teams pay by hitting our RBs in the flat when they play off the LOS.

Comment

Originally posted by WYBRONCO View Post
                  Dropped passes specifically still an issue. I sound like a broken record but even with Lock in the game, our receivers have dropped at least 4 TD passes, and at least 4 more when lock wasn't out there. That is a lot of points!

I was also not a fan of the play calling in the 4th quarter. They loaded up to stop the run so we ran it right at them. Throw the ball 40 yards down field on first down when you can run clock by finding a WR short or over the middle shorter even a swing pass.
                  So is it a short term dropped pass issue, or do we need to address it? Obviously more practice/drills. If a continued problem, do we sit guys? Hey whoever is wearing a Broncos jersey in a receiver position gets a shot!

Comment

As far as drops are concerned, we have back up receivers and tight ends playing right now. Add in we’ve had 3 starting QBs in 5 games, all who throw the ball differently, it’s understandable that chemistry isn’t exactly great between thrower and catcher for the offense right now. If drops are still a problem in the next 3-4 games, then we should be concerned.
                    Eternal Broncos Optimist

Comment

Originally posted by Megalodon30 View Post
                      As far as drops are concerned, we have back up receivers and tight ends playing right now. Add in we’ve had 3 starting QBs in 5 games, all who throw the ball differently, it’s understandable that chemistry isn’t exactly great between thrower and catcher for the offense right now. If drops are still a problem in the next 3-4 games, then we should be concerned.
                      Makes sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post

We won the game in Foxboro, so I am Happy!!!!!
                        Maybe some quick crossing passes, or nickel and dime high percentage short passes to the RB or TE? What they did, they almost blew it. Could you imagine being in a playoff game or being in the super bowl with this kind of stuff going on At the end of the games? All in all, I think we are still a young team and we are learning from our mistakes.

That's a fair comment. Right now I think Denver is still a team that's learning to win. Once it becomes more commonplace (hopefully it does!!) I think we'll see fewer mental mistakes, and fewer questionable decisions, by both the coaches and players.

Comment

I was hoping for some better red zone performance, just like everyone else.

A couple good take aways, though. First, they moved the ball pretty well for most of the game. Also, they just look more confident and capable with Lock back.

Hopefully, with more experience, they will create more cohesion. As many have pointed out, young offense, so offseason, so forth.

Considering the circumstances, I was overall encouraged by this game. They pulled out a win and showed some flashes.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

That's a fair comment. Right now I think Denver is still a team that's learning to win. Once it becomes more commonplace (hopefully it does!!) I think we'll see fewer mental mistakes, and fewer questionable decisions, by both the coaches and players.
                            Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
                            I was hoping for some better red zone performance, just like everyone else.

A couple good take aways, though. First, they moved the ball pretty well for most of the game. Also, they just look more confident and capable with Lock back.

Hopefully, with more experience, they will create more cohesion. As many have pointed out, young offense, so offseason, so forth.

Considering the circumstances, I was overall encouraged by this game. They pulled out a win and showed some flashes.
                            I concur. Young team, lots of setbacks, lots of potential. Considering I pretty much wrote them off from the playoffs with a loss yesterday, this is really positive. And I truly believe in Lock. More Fant maybe, when he's back??

Comment

I honestly blame the OC. I think PS is trying to get cute when cute is not needed. What makes me mad as anything is the PS has been trying to get Cute so for in all of our games and just by the Grace of God Did Denver Come Out With A Win vs The Pats. The OC needs to stop calling long bombs when it is 3rd and 3 LOL The OC spot has been an ugly stain for all of us ever since 2013 when PFM was the OC (Not Gase LOL )

Comment

I blame young offense, drops are part of a young receiving group learning and jitters since we keep having new guys on the field. We have no veterans on offense, I blame this as well on Elway. I have always wished we had DT on vet minimum to help young guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X