No announcement yet.

We Need To Score

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FTR, I had to miss some of the game, and did not realize there were more drops that really mattered. Then again, that would be an issue if it continues.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
      FTR, I had to miss some of the game, and did not realize there were more drops that really mattered. Then again, that would be an issue if it continues.
      It is most definitely an issue. IMO, the biggest issue on the team right now. 3 of those drops were certain TD's. And the passes were perfect. Lock's stat line looks bad, but if those easy catches were made, he has 3 tds, over 250 yards, and we score 30+ instead of 18.

And this thread isnt made.

But....they were dropped. it is what it is.
      sigpic

Comment

The drops were definitely a huge factor in this game, for sure.

Personally, I’ve seen enough of Hamilton. He just doesn’t have good hands. Hoping to see more Jeudy and Hamler (when healthy). I’m also intrigued by Tyrie Cleveland.
        sigpic

Comment

Thx for at minimum, trying to discuss a thread topic. Apparently some think all is well.
          Well, this is the same board that, in years past when the team got off to a quick start, would poo poo any criticism of the team because they were leading the division through 3-5 games. By season’s end, the team would have a mediocre record and miss the playoffs, in part, because of the issues mentioned by some early on when the team still had a winning record.

I think they have the wrong quarterback and coaching staff to expect an efficient and effective offense in a season without a traditional offseason, training camp, and preseason.

Maybe if it were a normal season things would be better.

I think they at least potentially have the right quarterback. I have doubts about the head coach though.
          You Mad Bro?

Comment

Originally posted by MH Stampede View Post

It is most definitely an issue. IMO, the biggest issue on the team right now. 3 of those drops were certain TD's. And the passes were perfect. Lock's stat line looks bad, but if those easy catches were made, he has 3 tds, over 250 yards, and we score 30+ instead of 18.

And this thread isnt made.

But....they were dropped. it is what it is.
            I think it useful to analyze things like this. Lets see how the hands are working in the next couple of games. If a prolonged issue, guys have to up the drills, and sit if they are not performing.

Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post

Personally, I’ve seen enough of Hamilton. He just doesn’t have good hands. Hoping to see more Jeudy and Hamler (when healthy). I’m also intrigued by Tyrie Cleveland.
            If some of the boys keep dropping balls, maybe we switch them to DBacks.

Originally posted by broncolee View Post

Well, this is the same board that, in years past when the team got off to a quick start, would poo poo any criticism of the team because they were leading the division through 3-5 games. By season’s end, the team would have a mediocre record and miss the playoffs, in part, because of the issues mentioned by some early on when the team still had a winning record.

I think they have the wrong quarterback and coaching staff to expect an efficient and effective offense in a season without a traditional offseason, training camp, and preseason.

Maybe if it were a normal season things would be better.

I think they at least potentially have the right quarterback. I have doubts about the head coach though.
            This thread stuff for me is about stimulating conversation. I am impressed that we are 2 and 3 at this point, given the setbacks. Things get clarity when you make a statement win. And IF they pull it all together and beat KC, we are very much in the playoff race. So I am more optimistic than I was a few weeks back.

But sometimes this board, probably like any board, has higher expectations during the offseason than maybe is warranted. That's a loyal fanbase. But I do tend to not get too excited about every addition, especially the QB types over the last years. Similarly I like to think there are players that look the part, and others that need to show us something. Yes, that goes for coaches as well for me. Coaches/Coordinators and in some cases GMs, do not get a pass, other than the ones with good track records.

So I am loyal to this team, but I do think it's cool for us to expect good results, and not just sit back with thumbs up. Many players come and go. Many coaches come and go. They are skilled people, but they still have a job to do, and I feel it's quite ok to critique them if there's good cause. I still pull for them, but hey, that's what fans do.

I will conclude on some positives: Lock is our QB, we have an energetic team that might overachieve, and with some healthier players we may make the playoffs. And kudos to the D, because only giving up 110 points in 5 games has been huge for us.

Comment

Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post

He hasn't dropped a ball so far, and he made several really good special teams plays. I'd see what Cleveland can do for sure. Jeudy will fight for the ball if it even remotely catchable, he hasn't dropped any passes in 2 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by WYBRONCO View Post

He hasn't dropped a ball so far, and he made several really good special teams plays. I'd see what Cleveland can do for sure. Jeudy will fight for the ball if it even remotely catchable, he hasn't dropped any passes in 2 weeks.
                Agreed on Cleveland. I’d really like to see what he has.

As far as Jeudy, I also really like what he brings as far as RAC. I’ve been impressed with how shifty he is, creating more yards.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                  The offensive coaching staff has a game plan and they're sticking to it, despite injuries, for better or worse. They're calling plays like they're a healthy unit, and they just aren't.

2 dropped passes in the end zone, weird throw it up and go get it calls at the end of the game. There seems to be no adjustment for situation or personnel.
                  I agree 100%. Sometimes I think first downs may be better thinking than long bombs to the end zone. I posted the following in another thread.

As usual, the coaching play call is still suspect, IMO. Two examples of many. Twice we had the ball third and two near the Pats 30 yard and both times we threw it to a WR in the end zone. I think we had a much better chance to continue the drive focusing on the first down and ultimately scoring 6 points instead of 3 points.

Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

I agree 100%. Sometimes I think first downs may be better thinking than long bombs to the end zone. I posted the following in another thread.

As usual, the coaching play call is still suspect, IMO. Two examples of many. Twice we had the ball third and two near the Pats 30 yard and both times we threw it to a WR in the end zone. I think we had a much better chance to continue the drive focusing on the first down and ultimately scoring 6 points instead of 3 points.
                    100 % Agree

Comment

Some trivia...

Question: How rare was it for the Broncos to win without scoring a touchdown and playing an 18-12 game?

Answer: Rare and very rare.

The Broncos’ 18 points in their win over New England were via six Brandon McManus field goals (a franchise single-game record). It was only the sixth time in team history the Broncos won a game without scoring a touchdown.

The previous five wins — 6-3 over Chicago (1971), 12-0 over San Diego (1988), 9-6 over New England (1991), 12-0 over Cleveland (1992) and 9-6 over Kansas City (2006 in overtime).

And here's a comment from the same article:

The tight red zone is where the Broncos miss receiver Courtland Sutton’s athleticism and ability to win the 50-50 fade pass. It may be time to try Patrick on those plays.

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
                        I honestly blame the OC. I think PS is trying to get cute when cute is not needed. What makes me mad as anything is the PS has been trying to get Cute so for in all of our games and just by the Grace of God Did Denver Come Out With A Win vs The Pats. The OC needs to stop calling long bombs when it is 3rd and 3 LOL The OC spot has been an ugly stain for all of us ever since 2013 when PFM was the OC (Not Gase LOL )
                        I was really made at Shurmur last game. It seems to me the Broncos saw something in their scouting and deciding to take shots down the field....ok but on 3rd and short? When we are not able to pull it off all game why keep doing it?

Our offensive line struggled early but from what I was hearing the OTs were struggling in the practices before the season started....why did it take injuries to make adjustments which seem to have worked?

I try to keep in mind all the missed time of skills players who were going to play major roles like Lock, Lindsay, Gordon, Sutton, Hamler, Juedy and Fant. In fact now that I think about it has any offensive player been healthy all the time? Maybe Bolles and Cush?

My current opinion is we struggle to score on offense for these reasons

1. We been bad on offense for a real long time...it is going to be a HUGE struggle to turn it around.
                        2. The coaching needs to improve on many levels....putting the best players on the field, game planning, game time adjustment and play calling
                        3. We need to get chemistry and consistent team work...which will only happen when we have guys who can do their job properly and stay on the field.

It is a big mountain to over come and we will not over come it all the sudden....it is going to be a process in which we chip at it and chip at it and chip at it....and eventually we will be better....hopefully
                        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Some trivia...

Question: How rare was it for the Broncos to win without scoring a touchdown and playing an 18-12 game?

Answer: Rare and very rare.

The Broncos’ 18 points in their win over New England were via six Brandon McManus field goals (a franchise single-game record). It was only the sixth time in team history the Broncos won a game without scoring a touchdown.

The previous five wins — 6-3 over Chicago (1971), 12-0 over San Diego (1988), 9-6 over New England (1991), 12-0 over Cleveland (1992) and 9-6 over Kansas City (2006 in overtime).

And here's a comment from the same article:

The tight red zone is where the Broncos miss receiver Courtland Sutton’s athleticism and ability to win the 50-50 fade pass. It may be time to try Patrick on those plays.
                          Does not surprise me that most of those games came before 2000

On the WR issue...we need to give Patrick and Juedy those chances and imo give 17 less reps and he seems to be very inconsistent and not very reliable at making the tough plays.
                          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

I think it useful to analyze things like this. Lets see how the hands are working in the next couple of games. If a prolonged issue, guys have to up the drills, and sit if they are not performing.

If some of the boys keep dropping balls, maybe we switch them to DBacks.

This thread stuff for me is about stimulating conversation. I am impressed that we are 2 and 3 at this point, given the setbacks. Things get clarity when you make a statement win. And IF they pull it all together and beat KC, we are very much in the playoff race. So I am more optimistic than I was a few weeks back.

But sometimes this board, probably like any board, has higher expectations during the offseason than maybe is warranted. That's a loyal fanbase. But I do tend to not get too excited about every addition, especially the QB types over the last years. Similarly I like to think there are players that look the part, and others that need to show us something. Yes, that goes for coaches as well for me. Coaches/Coordinators and in some cases GMs, do not get a pass, other than the ones with good track records.

So I am loyal to this team, but I do think it's cool for us to expect good results, and not just sit back with thumbs up. Many players come and go. Many coaches come and go. They are skilled people, but they still have a job to do, and I feel it's quite ok to critique them if there's good cause. I still pull for them, but hey, that's what fans do.

I will conclude on some positives: Lock is our QB, we have an energetic team that might overachieve, and with some healthier players we may make the playoffs. And kudos to the D, because only giving up 110 points in 5 games has been huge for us.
                            Personally, I didnt go into this season expecting playoffs. Very young team, no real offseason, no preseason. New offense to acclimate to, with several new pieces at skill positions, several rookie receivers (including yet another TE), new RB. Essentially a rookie at QB. expecting a real playoff run with all that is a tall tall order.

But I did expect...still do....is improvement over the course of the season. It takes time for an OL to come together, and it takes time for all those shiny new pieces we have added to develop chemistry, particularly between Lock and his targets. Some of those expectations have been met to a degree, the defense has, for the most part, done well....especially considering 3 of our best defenders have been out. This team fights, I see some saying its no different than it was under Joseph. I disagree. This is a scrappy team that doesnt give up. Under VJ, the team would have lost to the pats. After that second turnover, they would have folded, would have just rolled over and gave up. But that didnt happen.

We may not be playoff bound, but I do think that come december when teams are in the playoff hunt, they will not want to face us.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MH Stampede View Post

Personally, I didnt go into this season expecting playoffs. Very young team, no real offseason, no preseason. New offense to acclimate to, with several new pieces at skill positions, several rookie receivers (including yet another TE), new RB. Essentially a rookie at QB. expecting a real playoff run with all that is a tall tall order.

But I did expect...still do....is improvement over the course of the season. It takes time for an OL to come together, and it takes time for all those shiny new pieces we have added to develop chemistry, particularly between Lock and his targets. Some of those expectations have been met to a degree, the defense has, for the most part, done well....especially considering 3 of our best defenders have been out. This team fights, I see some saying its no different than it was under Joseph. I disagree. This is a scrappy team that doesnt give up. Under VJ, the team would have lost to the pats. After that second turnover, they would have folded, would have just rolled over and gave up. But that didnt happen.

We may not be playoff bound, but I do think that come december when teams are in the playoff hunt, they will not want to face us.
                              Sometimes I have to take a step back in time, and assess how I felt before the season. I gave us a playoff shot, helped perhaps by the extra playoff position. But I expected Lock to be the guy, confident, strong arm, low in sacks and hopefully pics. And combined with the really nice new O weapons (Gordon, Jeudy, Hamler) and the potentially improved Oline, I saw another TD or so per game. Lindsay could still be a primary back, Sutton looks like a pro bowler, while Fant can be a load! On D, I saw Chubb returning, Von hungry, and and pro bowler Casey making life miserable for opposing QBs...as well as other changes (Bouye) and of course, with our stud at Safety - Simmons. And given we came off a 4 and 1 run, this looked like a recipe for a winning season.

Then the bad news! Injury after injury, and to some of our better players. Threw a big wrench into the plans. So yes, easy for me or anyone to say it's been a bit messy.

But 2 and 3, and a win in Foxboro to avoid 1 and 4, is impressive! Our D is surprisingly good, given the problems. And even though we did not get into the end zone, our O was moving the chains. Just need to get it in a little more. Not a bad situation given the injuries. And in spite of everything, I find it a real positive that we are now within range of the playoff group. Not there yet, but a few wins in the next 4 or 5 games, and who knows.

Long term though, I see positivity. Maybe Von's no longer in the equation, but even so, many were wondering about his production coming into the season. He has served us very, very well! He will always be remembered as a SB stud, and a great player.

And to be sure, this thread was not meant to aim negative comments towards the players/coaches. I was hoping to get some good convo surrounding smaller things mainly. Design perhaps. Use of players. Nothing major, but maybe of interest.
                              Last edited by CanDB; 10-20-2020, 07:01 PM.

Comment

I don't think anyone thought we were Super Bowl contenders coming into the season. But, there were a lot, including myself, that thought, we could compete for a Wild Card spot.

However, Fangio continues to mismanage games (we should have won against Tennessee) and we could have just as well come away with a huge win Pittsburgh, if not for bad play calling on our last drive.

Yes, we have injuries that hinder us to an extent, but we lose more games due to bad coaching than injuries. That is what is most frustrating.

I admit, most of my recent posts have been negative. But, I don't apologise for criticizing the major flaws of this organization.

It's one thing if you lose to a team that is clearly better than you.

It's another to lose when you cost yourself a game because of bad coaching.... especially, if the average fan knows what to do and the coaches don't.

Comment

Working...
                                X