We Need To Score

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sra84 View Post
    I don't think anyone thought we were Super Bowl contenders coming into the season. But, there were a lot, including myself, that thought, we could compete for a Wild Card spot.

However, Fangio continues to mismanage games (we should have won against Tennessee) and we could have just as well come away with a huge win Pittsburgh, if not for bad play calling on our last drive.

Yes, we have injuries that hinder us to an extent, but we lose more games due to bad coaching than injuries. That is what is most frustrating.

I admit, most of my recent posts have been negative. But, I don't apologise for criticizing the major flaws of this organization.

It's one thing if you lose to a team that is clearly better than you.

It's another to lose when you cost yourself a game because of bad coaching.... especially, if the average fan knows what to do and the coaches don't.
    Some folks may not appreciate me (or anyone) supporting the anti-coaching commentary, but critiquing coaches/players/even Elway is ok if done with some decency and logic. I will say it again, Fangio's handling of time outs may have lost us a game (maybe), and regardless of injuries and youth, and slippery fingers, it's part the equation. Some coaches do as we do in fantasy these days, keep things together with tape and paper clips, and maybe some crazy glue, but that specific coaching error may be the loss that keeps us out of the playoffs. And given this topic, might have taken 3 or more points off the board plus a W. I know, all theory, cuz anything can happen. But every single player/coach can make an impact on every play, some more than others. Winning in the NFL demands attention to detail, especially if you do not have the best players on the field.

I think he learned a lesson that day, but it did look like a deer in the headlights. Probably disappointed his players as well. But again, we all make mistakes. Hopefully he is a better coach for it. But yes folks, injuries and slippery fingers may be the main issues. Like the best in any sports/business do, keep looking to get better. learn from mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

Some folks may not appreciate me (or anyone) supporting the anti-coaching commentary, but critiquing coaches/players/even Elway is ok if done with some decency and logic. I will say it again, Fangio's handling of time outs may have lost us a game (maybe), and regardless of injuries and youth, and slippery fingers, it's part the equation. Some coaches do as we do in fantasy these days, keep things together with tape and paper clips, and maybe some crazy glue, but that specific coaching error may be the loss that keeps us out of the playoffs. And given this topic, might have taken 3 or more points off the board plus a W. I know, all theory, cuz anything can happen. But every single player/coach can make an impact on every play, some more than others. Winning in the NFL demands attention to detail, especially if you do not have the best players on the field.

I think he learned a lesson that day, but it did look like a deer in the headlights. Probably disappointed his players as well. But again, we all make mistakes. Hopefully he is a better coach for it. But yes folks, injuries and slippery fingers may be the main issues. Like the best in any sports/business do, keep looking to get better. learn from mistakes.
      Not scoring after four downs inside the +5 in the second quarter had more to do with the loss to Tennessee than anything else. Same situation in the 4th quarter when they lined up Tight Wing I and Gordon put the ball in the EZ. Probably should have done something similar at the end of the Pitt game. Lost to Tennessee and Pittsburgh, who are undefeated at the moment, by a combined seven points.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Not scoring after four downs inside the +5 in the second quarter had more to do with the loss to Tennessee than anything else. Same situation in the 4th quarter when they lined up Tight Wing I and Gordon put the ball in the EZ. Probably should have done something similar at the end of the Pitt game. Lost to Tennessee and Pittsburgh, who are undefeated at the moment, by a combined seven points.
        That's your opinion. It's another factor for sure.

Coaches have a role, and as I recall, the sports world were all over that deer in the headlight blunder. It was blatant. Many of us were standing in front of our tvs, calling for him to take action.

I am not just blaming Fangio. I am making a case for "everyone" has to do their jobs, and at the higher level, it is incumbent that you set a good example.

And it's ok to critique coaches, even though we are fans. Coaches get fired every NFL season. Not always deserved but it happens. They make mistakes in action and judgement. Some deserve to lose their jobs. And as a fan, even though I like our direction, it's been a long time since we played 500 ball. We are not The Cleveland Browns organization of the last few decades.

Folks have to "own" their actions/judgement Sam.

Comment

That's your opinion. It's another factor for sure.

Coaches have a role, and as I recall, the sports world were all over that deer in the headlight blunder. It was blatant. Many of us were standing in front of our tvs, calling for him to take action.

I am not just blaming Fangio. I am making a case for "everyone" has to do their jobs, and at the higher level, it is incumbent that you set a good example.

And it's ok to critique coaches, even though we are fans. Coaches get fired every NFL season. Not always deserved but it happens. They make mistakes in action and judgement. Some deserve to lose their jobs. And as a fan, even though I like our direction, it's been a long time since we played 500 ball. We are not The Cleveland Browns organization of the last few decades.

Folks have to "own" their actions/judgement Sam.
          Who hasn't, Dave?

Comment

Some trivia...

Question: How rare was it for the Broncos to win without scoring a touchdown and playing an 18-12 game?

Answer: Rare and very rare.

The Broncos’ 18 points in their win over New England were via six Brandon McManus field goals (a franchise single-game record). It was only the sixth time in team history the Broncos won a game without scoring a touchdown.

The previous five wins — 6-3 over Chicago (1971), 12-0 over San Diego (1988), 9-6 over New England (1991), 12-0 over Cleveland (1992) and 9-6 over Kansas City (2006 in overtime).

And here's a comment from the same article:

The tight red zone is where the Broncos miss receiver Courtland Sutton’s athleticism and ability to win the 50-50 fade pass. It may be time to try Patrick on those plays.
            Wow! I'm curios if both teams in those 5 games had a bad offense / good defense or some of both, peaks and valleys on both sides of the line during the game. Boring games?

Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Who hasn't, Dave?
              That statement encompasses anyone and everyone Sam

Comment

I have some hope the Broncs turned a corner last Sunday. Fangio adapted the D to reality instead of being a stubborn old man relying on simple schemes. Shurmur, I wondered why he called mostly running plays on 1st down. Denver had 11 drives and accomplished only 15 1st downs.

4-14 on 3rd down, often in 3rd and long, then Lock throws incomplete deep instead of moving the chains. Lock chooses where he throws on 3rd down so I don't know if Lock is making poor decisions or Shurmur is not setting up the offense to be successful.

I saw a ton of 1st down runs that didn't get yards, then Shurmur and Lock trying to make up for 1st down failures on 2nd and 3rd down resulting in 4-14 on 3rd down. Have to get better.

Comment

Originally posted by Acedude View Post
                  I have some hope the Broncs turned a corner last Sunday. Fangio adapted the D to reality instead of being a stubborn old man relying on simple schemes. Shurmur, I wondered why he called mostly running plays on 1st down. Denver had 11 drives and accomplished only 15 1st downs.

4-14 on 3rd down, often in 3rd and long, then Lock throws incomplete deep instead of moving the chains. Lock chooses where he throws on 3rd down so I don't know if Lock is making poor decisions or Shurmur is not setting up the offense to be successful.

I saw a ton of 1st down runs that didn't get yards, then Shurmur and Lock trying to make up for 1st down failures on 2nd and 3rd down resulting in 4-14 on 3rd down. Have to get better.
                  Again, the beauty of it all is we are in the hunt, we suffered numerous injuries, and we just did something we hadn't done in Foxboro in our last 13 attempts!!

Comment

Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

Wow! I'm curios if both teams in those 5 games had a bad offense / good defense or some of both, peaks and valleys on both sides of the line during the game. Boring games?
                    The 1971 Chicago Bears D was 12th in points, 23rd in yards; O was 25th in points, 24th in yards and they were 6-8.

The 1988 San Diego Chargers D was 18th in points, 21st in yards; O was 27th in points, 26th in yards and they were 6-10.

The 1991 New England Patriots D was 15th in points, 26th in yards; O was 25th in points, 22nd in yards and they were 6-10.

The 1992 Cleveland Browns D was 10th in points, 14th in yards; O was 20th in points, 18th in yards and they were 7-9.

The 2006 Kansas City Chiefs D was 11th in points, 16th in yards; O was 15th in points, 16th in yards and they were 9-7, 2nd in AFCW and lost to the Colts in the Wild Card round.

Comment

That statement encompasses anyone and everyone Sam
                      You haven't owned your own actions/judgements?

Comment

Too bad Albert O didn't make that catch in the back of the end zone. Seemed he was thinking about getting his feet down and took his eyes off the ball. Got his feet down fine but didn't have the ball in his hands.

Jeudy should have caught a TD pass from Lock, nicely placed from Lock, went right through his hands. Gotta make that catch.

Comment

You haven't owned your own actions/judgements?
                          This is for anyone and everyone.

Comment

Too bad Albert O didn't make that catch in the back of the end zone. Seemed he was thinking about getting his feet down and took his eyes off the ball. Got his feet down fine but didn't have the ball in his hands.

Jeudy should have caught a TD pass from Lock, nicely placed from Lock, went right through his hands. Gotta make that catch.
                            I found it interesting how Lock was trying to make a renewed connection with Albert, at least partially. The QB/TE connections are so special, especially on some teams. I believe it will be Lock/Fant for many years, but I saw some chemistry there....though limited. I really believe The Broncos will thrive, like in old days, with a productive TE or two. It's been something I've been hoping for, for many years. Since Shannon Sharpe it's not been one of our strengths. Julius Thomas was a real factor for a couple of seasons, but it's not been as solid in the receiving side as I would have hoped.

Comment

Again, the beauty of it all is we are in the hunt, we suffered numerous injuries, and we just did something we hadn't done in Foxboro in our last 13 attempts!!
                              The O has potential. A big deal is winning the AFCW games. Go 5-1 in the AFCW and they probably make the playoffs. Go 2-4 in the AFCW they probably miss.

Comment

The O has potential. A big deal is winning the AFCW games. Go 5-1 in the AFCW and they probably make the playoffs. Go 2-4 in the AFCW they probably miss.
                                Interesting to me that after 6 weeks we have not yet faced an AFC West rival. But that changes now, with 3 of the next 4 games:

KC - week 7
                                LAC - week 8
                                LV - week 10

By the time we hit week 11, we will probably have a much firmer view about this team and it's positioning, in light of your comment.

Comment

Working...
                                X