Does Bolles get re-signed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

I read an article yesterday or today where Fangio said that the reason they used the run blocking they did against Miami was because they noticed Miami using defensive fronts that were popular in the 60's. So they decided to use a more classic look and get more blockers out in front of the plays.

It's mentioned briefly in this article, but they don't have the part about the fronts from the 60's. Oh and before anyone thinks Fangio was talking trash or ripping the Dolphins, after he said that he mentioned the Broncos use some of the same fronts now.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2020/...in-loss-record

As for Bolles, PFF (take it for what it's worth) now has him as their highest graded offensive tackle for the year.
    Forgot to mention in my previous post that one consideration in an angle blocked rushing attack is accounting for back side pursuit. This can be accomplished through formations in order to either get a blocker or account for it some other way, like influence. Magazu used a lot of influence as a complement to the angle blocked rushing attack. He used to have the back side Tackle set up in pass protection to draw the DE/OLB upfield and out of pursuit. Influence can't really be used in a zone system because the O-Line is all going the same direction. Back side pursuit can blow up a play like Counter Gap (aka GTO, Guard/Tackle Opposite) if it isn't blocked properly. TEs/H-Backs/Fullbacks can be used to do that.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Hopefully we can resign Bolles so we are not handicapped while into getting a new OT. and i can try to get a mid round guy to back up James.
      sigpic
      oakland raders gm
      latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
        https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/i...-continue-high

'I want to be here for a long time': Resurgent Garett Bolles hopes to continue high level of play in Denver

Aric DiLalla

"I didn't use it as an excuse," Bolles said of the lack of in-person work. " … I really just took it upon myself to know that there's always something that you can do. You can always run; you can always take sets. … I took sets in my kitchen barefoot so when I get to my proper spot, I know exactly how my weight is between my feet and my toes. I had my wife line up and she would run after me and I would take sets and I'd put my hands on her — not hard of course — but just enough so I can get into a repetition of continuing to do the same thing over and over again. I'd run, I'd hit the bag, I'd get a pole and I'd fit it like I was fitting a run game. I'd do whatever I can to find myself — I was training in California to of course not break COVID rules — but be by myself and go to the park and set up a tree or put cones on the ground and set, something like that. I always found something to do to continue to get my body in shape and get my mind where it needs to be mentally and physically and really dial in what I needed to do. I feel like that is what's paying off now is those little things I did."

Bolles said the early in his career, he "just went through the motions" in certain areas of the game, but he's since realized the importance of nutrition, sleep and film study. Those adjustments have helped him find success in Year 4, and he now believes he understands what it takes to be "a franchise left tackle." He has had just one holding call enforced against him this season after leading the league in the penalty over the last three seasons.

It's understandable that it took Bolles a bit of time — and consistency — to improve his level of play. The 28-year-old player picked up football late in life before playing collegiately at Snow College and for a year at the University of Utah. Since arriving in Denver, he's started all 58 of the Broncos' games at left tackle, and he is Pro Football Focus' top-rated tackle through 11 weeks.

"I needed time," Bolles said. "I'm extremely grateful for [Head] Coach [Vic] Fangio. I know he's talked to you guys about how he's grateful to just let me go in there and learn from my mistakes. A player that hasn't played a lot of football or a rookie that's come into the league, he needs reps. He needs repetition. He needs to see what will be thrown at him. He might not pick it up early on in his career but the longer that he's in there — it's sort of like that [trial] by fire type of thing — you're out there, guys are smoking you and you're falling on the ground and you think to yourself, 'Hey, I can either get up and strap my helmet on more and do it again, or I can take my helmet off and I can walk out the door.' That's really your options. So, over the years I've learned I'm that type of fighter. I might fall in a hole but I'm that type of fighter that's going to climb that ladder and get myself out of the hole. I pride myself on that and I'm going to continue to do that because that's what a father is, that's what a husband is to provide for the family, and that's what a man does for his job that he loves dearly. I'm a fighter. I never give up and I'm just going to continue to do what I need to do to help this team win."

"… I've had rocky years here and my goal is just to be a consistent player that [President of Football Operations/General Manager] Mr. [John] Elway and this organization can count on for many years. I want to be here for a long time — I love the city, I love this fan base, my teammates, I love everything about here and I just want to win. So, my motto is to win and do everything I can because if I'm sloppy out there, Drew [Lock] can't throw the ball. If I'm playing my high level that I am, then Drew can move the ball and do his thing. I pride myself with that. If I can continue to play consistent football, then we're going to win games."
        Look where Garrett was last year and what some were saying about him during the off season and in preseason. Football players can get better, worse or stay the same. Good for Garrett and good for Mike Munchak and Vic Fangio.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Who would ever have thought the only long term Bronco drafted in 1st round after Von could be Bolles. Good for him! Give him a deal.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Look where Garrett was last year and what some were saying about him during the off season and in preseason. Football players can get better, worse or stay the same. Good for Garrett and good for Mike Munchak and Vic Fangio.
            It's like I've mentioned a few times. OL is taking longer to develop nowadays because of the rule changes for camps, practice, etc. This is the same thing Mark Schlereth regurgitates often.
            If you notice a player is getting better and better, you don't let them walk. People say "well it's a contract year", yea sure, but the player is playing better each year, and it's noticeable.

Would it be better to start from scratch with a rookie or pay someone who is clearly improving? We in general need to give offensive linemen more time to grow, otherwise we sit and see them sign elsewhere and wish we kept them. Then continue the age old "OL sucks that's why our offense sucks"

He could decline after getting a contract, that is 100% possible... just as it's possible next season Aaron Rodgers drops off. That's just sports.
            sigpic
            Adopted Broncos:
            EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Sometimes it takes a couple years to develop young Players. We just need some patience developing our young talent .

Comment

Always seems to work this way. Players play lights out in their contract year, then fall back to their mediocre ways after the big money comes in. Impressed by his play this year, but that does not negate his previous horrendous years. If the price is fair, I think we have to pay him, but if he is looking for top LT money, he can walk. As much experience as Munchek has, I would lean on him and trust his judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzy22jeff View Post
                  Always seems to work this way. Players play lights out in their contract year, then fall back to their mediocre ways after the big money comes in. Impressed by his play this year, but that does not negate his previous horrendous years. If the price is fair, I think we have to pay him, but if he is looking for top LT money, he can walk. As much experience as Munchek has, I would lean on him and trust his judgement.
                  i feel we have to at least give him a franchise tag. see if he can reproduce. plus thats not always true with every player.
                  sigpic
                  oakland raders gm
                  latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post

i feel we have to at least give him a franchise tag. see if he can reproduce. plus thats not always true with every player.
                    It's not always true for every player, but people say it all the time as if it is true for every single player. I also highly doubt he wants top OL money. He and his agent will likely be realistic and know their value. That's part of the agents job, knowing value. And if they can't come to an agreement, as you already mentioned, he can be tagged.
                    sigpic
                    Adopted Broncos:
                    EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post

I agree, franchise Bolles and sign
                      I’lll add we should also sign Simmons long term.
                      sigpic

Comment

He does have a son (named Kingston).

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• Sports Illustrated Mile High Huddle:

Garett Bolles Opens Up on the Epiphany That Led to him Becoming NFL's Top-Graded Left Tackle

by Lance Sanderson
                          a day ago

Prior to the 2020 season, there might not have been a more controversial and hated player on the Denver Broncos' roster than left tackle Garett Bolles. A former first-round pick that was inching closer and closer to 'bust' status due to his nasty habit of drawing boneheaded penalties, Bolles was a hot topic in Broncos Country over the course of this past summer.

For good reason, too.

Bolles’ inconsistencies on the blindside had fans and pundits alike pining for his eventual replacement to be drafted following the fourth season of his career, citing his 45 total penalties over his first three seasons as a pro, including 10 total accepted holding flags in 2019.

Many fans feared for Drew Lock’s safety playing behind Bolles, fretting that it was only a matter of time before the young quarterback would get injured.

It seemed as if the Broncos were in lock-step with the general consensus across the fanbase. After all, the Broncos telegraphed their intentions by not exercising Bolles' fifth-year option this past spring.

The message was simple; either improve your play in the final year of your contract or find work elsewhere.

Despite the outside noise and being slapped in the face by the organization that made him the 20th overall selection of the 2017 draft, Bolles showed mental fortitude, dedicating himself to becoming a great player in order to silence his critics.

Bolles is now playing football at an unforeseen level compared to what he had shown in the past. With a drastic improvement in his technique and consistency, he has quietly grown into the best player on the Broncos' offensive line.

"I truly believe a man goes through a rough patch in their life for a reason,” Bolles said on Tuesday. “[It’s] to make them better, and it speaks highly of how a man comes out of that.

“I truly believe I came out of it on a high note—I learned from my mistakes.”

Going back to the 2017 draft, Bolles was widely considered to be one of the top tackle prospects in the class. A raw but highly athletic specimen out of Utah with a mean streak, he was dubbed as a two-to-three-year project for whichever team drafted him.

It was going to take a while for Bolles to get up to speed in the NFL as he refined his technique, but once the investment came to fruition, the dividends are now being paid in spades.

The problem was, Bolles didn’t develop his technique properly as he struggled to adapt his game to a different offensive line coach in each of his first three seasons in the league. With a learning disability serving to complicate and hinder his development, which was mistakenly identified as a lack of work ethic by outsiders, he was unable to adapt to the NFL game as a whole.

While Bolles' play in the running game was among the best in the league over those first three seasons, his pass protection was incredibly inconsistent, leading to several penalty flags to fly.

So why did Bolles struggle so much?

“I think in the past I just used my athletic ability to get the job done,” Bolles explained on Tuesday. “But I think the more I've been in the league, the more I watch film and I watch myself, the more I really dial in on the technical side of things.”

One of the biggest aspects of self-improvement comes from self-scouting. Identifying the flaws within, learning to adapt to and overcome those flaws, and translating those flaws into improvement. As Bolles put it, he realized that he had to learn from those mistakes and grow as a player.

Sometimes, that realization can come at the expense of the ego. Acknowledging that he wouldn’t change his mentality as being “a dog out there”, Bolles understood that he needed to improve his technique, and cited multiple flaws in his game.

“What I did need to change is how I saw things,” Bolles admitted. “How I placed my hands and how I moved my feet, how I keep my shoulders and my numbers square for two kick slides or how I take two kick slides, pause, and get on my guy. Those were the things I had to learn, and it took time.”

Through all of the criticism, both warranted and unwelcomed, Bolles knew that he had to do something different with his preparation for the upcoming season. Looking towards his idols — legendary tackles Jonathan Ogden, Joe Thomas, and Joe Staley — Bolles began to understand that improved technique, along with his incredible athleticism, could help him achieve his goals to become a top-flight left tackle in the league.

“Those guys were technicians for a reason," Bolles said. "They were 10-time Pro Bowlers, first-time [Pro Football Hall of Fame] ballot players because of what they did on the field with their technique.”

Seeing the deficiencies in his technique and understanding why that was the reason for the massive onslaught of criticism levied on his head, Bolles found a new way to improve himself as a player during the offseason, all while dealing with the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Without being able to access the Broncos' training facilities or film room, he got creative.

As Bolles and his wife were in the kitchen preparing their dinner, Bolles would practice his footwork without wearing shoes, feeling the floor against his feet and getting a better understanding of his balance and weight placement against a solid surface. A technique multiple offensive linemen, including ex-Broncos' All-Pro Louis Vasquez, have admitted to utilizing over the years.

But it didn’t stop there.

“I had my wife line up and she would run after me and I would take sets,” Bolles said. “ I’d put my hands on her—not hard of course—but just enough so I can get into a repetition of continuing to do the same thing over and over again. I’d run, I’d hit the bag, I’d get a pole and I’d fit it like I was fitting a run game. I’d do whatever I can to find myself—I was training in California to of course not break COVID rules—but be by myself and go to the park and set up a tree or put cones on the ground and set, something like that. I always found something to do to continue to get my body in shape and get my mind where it needs to be mentally and physically and really dial in what I needed to do.”

That creative mindset, alongside having back-to-back seasons with venerated O-line coach Mike Munchak, has turned a once-maligned career on its head. The focus on the little things, such as changing his diet, changing his sleep schedule, and not “going through the motions”, has transformed Bolles into a quality left tackle.

Bolles has only allowed nine total QB pressures on the season and has yet to surrender a sack through the team’s 10 games. While he has had a few penalties as well, the yellow laundry has not fallen with anywhere close to the rapidity of the previous three years as his play drastically improved.

We're talking about a quanum-leap type of improvement as illustrated by his current ranking as the No. 1 offensive tackle in the league per Pro Football Focus' grading system.

Bolles' performance has completely changed the narrative surrounding his future with the Broncos, and he's now poised to receive a long-term contract extension following the season.

Bolles' focus remains on the present and becoming the best player he can be with his ultimate goal of becoming the best offensive tackle in the league. He knows that if he takes care of his business on the field, everything else will fall into place.

“I mean, that would be nice, but it’s not up to me," Bolles said of garnering an extension from the Broncos. "That’s why I hired an agent. He talks to Mr. Elway. When they want to do it, they’ll do it. That’s just how I look at it. I just want to be consistent. I have to go out there and play at a high level every single week. Fix my mistakes throughout the weeks but go out there and shine.”

source: https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/...ed-left-tackle

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Honestly I would be fine with him seeing the field. But he is not a tackle at the nfl level. He is a guard and from his rookie year he is a pretty good one. But he obviously lacks the athletic abilities to play tackle in this league
                              I agree, he doesn’t have the foot speed to play tackle in the NFL. When Bolles was holding people last year it bugged me, but not as bad as the plays where Wilkinson didn’t even touch his assignment resulting in big hits on the QB.
                              sigpic

Comment

• David Bakhtiari was made the highest paid tackle in NFL history this season. 4yrs, 103.5 million, with an opt out in 2023.
                                His average is 23mil per, with a 30mil signing bonus. 62.8mil in guarantees.
                                David's 2020 grade by PFF is 89.5. So they just barely view Bolles as better than him, but the rest of the league views David as the best in the league.

Does anyone feel like Bolles warrants equal pricing as Bakhtiari, whom job is protecting Aaron Rodgers, not Drew Lock.
                                sigpic
                                Adopted Broncos:
                                EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Working...
                                X