No announcement yet.

Does Bolles get re-signed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The decision to pay Bolles or not is going to challenge a lot of Bronco fans.

If he earns it, they should pay him. Because somebody will.

And after all the criticism and annual comments of “have to invest in the oline”.

Wouldn’t be ridiculous if the Broncos developed a top LT and then chose to let him walk.

Comment

• You know this has been a year stood on it's head when Garrett Bolles is the #1 tackle in the NFL .................

............... Congratulations Garrett. YOU KNOW it took work no matter who you are......... to go from who Garrett was and to where he's ranked now. That doesn't just happen by accident. He earned this.

I have not been watching NFL this season like I usually do and that includes Broncos ball ......... so I hope his play is not just something on paper. Can you guys truly see this kind of grade on a game to game basis?
      Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Comment

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
        The decision to pay Bolles or not is going to challenge a lot of Bronco fans.

And after all the criticism and annual comments of “have to invest in the oline”.

Wouldn’t be ridiculous if the Broncos developed a top LT and then chose to let him walk.
        That's why I asked the question does anyone think he should get that kind of money. Because I'd wager Elway and company already know if they do or don't plan on offering him an extension. But fans are fickle. Fans will say invest in the OL and then say "nope don't pay him." And as you've mentioned somebody else will.

Well let's look at that:
        The team that just made David Bakhtiari the highest paid tackle, also signed former Denver Bronco Linemen Billy Turner to a 4yr deal. (28 mil. 7 mil a year average. 2021 opt out.)
        Carolina Panthers gave Matt Paradis a 3yr deal, 29 mil.(9.6 mil average. 2021 opt out)
        Cardinals gave Max Garcia a 1yr deal. 1.2 mil.
        Patriots gave Jared Veldheer a 1yr deal 3.5 mil.
        Jets gave Connor McGovern a 3yr deal 27 mil(2022 opt out)

Obviously all smaller contracts than what Bolles would likely go for since he's being viewed as even better than DB at least by PFF. But generally you pay for talent, you pay for value, you pay for the betterment of the team.
        Does Bolles make us better?
        His job is protect the QB, do you wanna have a rookie to protect the most important player on the field's blindside? A low budget castaway to do that job?

Also have to consider the optics, how letting Bolles walk would look to other teams, players, and agents.

If you're an agent, you would tell all your talented clients avoid Denver, they don't pay you for doing your job good. You might not win much, but Jets will pay you. You might be a back up, but Green Bay will pay you. These teams will at least give you a prove it deal. But Denver? No no client, if you sign for them on a one year deal and do great, they won't pay you again, bc that's expensive.
        sigpic
        Adopted Broncos:
        EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
          David Bakhtiari was made the highest paid tackle in NFL history this season. 4yrs, 103.5 million, with an opt out in 2023.
          His average is 23mil per, with a 30mil signing bonus. 62.8mil in guarantees.
          David's 2020 grade by PFF is 89.5. So they just barely view Bolles as better than him, but the rest of the league views David as the best in the league.

Does anyone feel like Bolles warrants equal pricing as Bakhtiari, whom job is protecting Aaron Rodgers, not Drew Lock.
          nah i think he will get some where between a Soldier and a Stanley Contract. Stanley got 19m a year with more consistent play. right now i think a franchise tag would be the way to go. you probably get him cheaper then you would on the open market.

https://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle/

i think he will probably hit some where between 18 to 20 million based on that list.
          sigpic
          oakland raders gm
          latavis murray trade bait

Comment

It's not always true for every player, but people say it all the time as if it is true for every single player. I also highly doubt he wants top OL money. He and his agent will likely be realistic and know their value. That's part of the agents job, knowing value. And if they can't come to an agreement, as you already mentioned, he can be tagged.
            This is how you lose players. You think they’d be willing to take less. Bolles is in line for one major contract in his career because of his age already. He’s going to want $$$. I think the FT is coming this offseason. I don’t think Elway even throws an offer at him this offseason. At midway of next season he’s still grading out very highly then you throw the big money at him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post

This is how you lose players. You think they’d be willing to take less. Bolles is in line for one major contract in his career because of his age already. He’s going to want $$$. I think the FT is coming this offseason. I don’t think Elway even throws an offer at him this offseason. At midway of next season he’s still grading out very highly then you throw the big money at him.
              They would have to wait until the 2022 offseason to sign him in your scenario.
              My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
              You Mad Bro?

Comment

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                The decision to pay Bolles or not is going to challenge a lot of Bronco fans.

No matter what happens fans will hammer the front office.

-If they sign him and he plays great, fans will hammer them for not signing him sooner
                -If they sign him and he plays poorly, fans will hammer them for signing him
                -If they don't sign him and he goes somewhere else, no matter how he plays, fans will hammer them for letting him go (see Matt Paradis as an example)

It's not a Broncos only thing, just fans thinking we can do the job better because we've been playing Madden for the last 20 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

-If they sign him and he plays great, fans will hammer them for not signing him sooner
                  -If they don't sign him and he goes somewhere else, no matter how he plays, fans will hammer them for letting him go (see Matt Paradis as an example)

It's not a Broncos only thing, just fans thinking we can do the job better because we've been playing Madden for the last 20 years.
                  i think he stays in denver next year weather it is through the Franchise tag or through a long term contract. i still think Simmons should be our top priority followed by Bolles then probably Alexander Johnson.
                  sigpic
                  oakland raders gm
                  latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Fans are the best GM’s ( due to their 2020 vision)
                    sigpic

Comment

Comment

How it works with sports. Fans, much like the experts of sports media all have the lucky job of not actually being in charge. Meaning fans and experts can be inconsistent, wrong, right, hypocritical, fickle, etc etc etc and it's ok. It's easy for us fans and those experts to say what we say when we aren't the ones on the field.
                        sigpic
                        Adopted Broncos:
                        EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                          You know this has been a year stood on it's head when Garrett Bolles is the #1 tackle in the NFL .................

............... Congratulations Garrett. YOU KNOW it took work no matter who you are......... to go from who Garrett was and to where he's ranked now. That doesn't just happen by accident. He earned this.

I have not been watching NFL this season like I usually do and that includes Broncos ball ......... so I hope his play is not just something on paper. Can you guys truly see this kind of grade on a game to game basis?
                          absolutely not. Yes, he is playing better, can he sustain it is the big question.
                          sigpic

Comment

How it works with sports. Fans, much like the experts of sports media all have the lucky job of not actually being in charge. Meaning fans and experts can be inconsistent, wrong, right, hypocritical, fickle, etc etc etc and it's ok. It's easy for us fans and those experts to say what we say when we aren't the ones on the field.
                            I agree with this comment.....though I also believe that in almost any business, the customer is the reason you exist, so in that respect we, the fans (in this case, customers) do have our say. Unfortunately some fans get hung up on a "belief", true or not, and never seem to get past it. To this day, decades later (1986), it still ticks me to no end that Bill Buckner is still remembered as the guy who muffed a ground ball in The World Series, not the guy with a really good career, who was playing hurt...meanwhile the Red Sox pitching did not do their part that day, and we never seem to hear much about that. Buckner will always be a quality ballplayer in my eyes.

Same goes for the cruelty towards super fan Steve Bartman....sure he touched the ball before it might have been caught, but those fans who missed it were seemingly excused, meanwhile The Cubs gave up 8 runs that inning, even though the incident did possibly prevent them from getting their second out. Hey, if you give up 8 runs you deserve to lose! And of course they lost the next game. That was one of sports most pathetic days, and I still feel for the guy.

Sports has its share of recognition, in money and fame, but it can also show a real ugly side. On one hand, we don't tend to hear much about the thousands of pros (each year) who have short and difficult careers. But it's not only the fans who can be vocal for the wrong reasons, it's often provoked by those in the business of sport, making a living out of writing/analyzing and so forth.

That's why I do not like the "choker" label, or any other commentary that is too harsh, given that the people involved do not want to choke or make errors. As I said, it can be ugly at times.
                            Last edited by CanDB; 11-27-2020, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• Unless Bolles wants something outrageous I think we pretty much have to sign him. I don't want to go in to next year with only the other OTs on the roster we have now. And I'd still take a hard look at OT in the first round of the draft. It should be another good year for OT and with resigning Bolles we could be set on OL for a few years. If we do go OT in the draft, let that player be the swing for a year and insurance for James.

One thing in Bolles' favor IMO is that his improved play actually began in the last 5 games last season so this gives me a little more confidence this is long term improvement since this is carrying over from last year.

If we don't resign Bolles, what's Plan B?

Comment

• Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post

Yeah. I can see that. Honestly I'm not going to be upset at all if the Broncos sign him to a big money contract. That's how the system is set up. This team desperately needs continuity on the O-Line with a group of at least competent players. My gut feeling is that he is turning into at least a competent Left Tackle and maybe something more. Here's a decent article about him:

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/11/2...ransformation/

Bolles credits his blossoming at the ripe NFL age of 28 to these details he concentrated on and to the tutelage of his position coach, Hall of Famer Mike Munchak, whose work with Bolles began to pay dividends down the stretch in 2019.
                                -snip-
                                Asked for the umpteenth time on a Zoom call this week about Bolles’ improvement in 2020, Broncos coach Vic Fangio said, “Well, you should keep beating that dead horse because you were beating it when it was the other way around. I think the key to his turnaround is just persistence both on his part and our part,” Fangio added. “Both Mike and (assistant O-line coach Chris Kuper) and myself have had faith in him, we’ve stayed with him and we’ve talked to him regularly. We all have a good relationship with him. “He had a great offseason. He stuck to it, he didn’t let the outside noise, which at times was appropriate, stop his determination to keep improving. I think he’s finally being rewarded for that approach.”

Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

Working...
                                X