• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post

This is just simply true. Lock is the one calling the long shots in short yardage situations. Tv analysis TD have pointed week in and week out where Lock consistently misses wide open guys running higher completion % routes and Lock chose to gunsling it because that’s what he likes to do. Explain to me how that falls on Pat? Lock is young and he will learn to quit doing that.

Pats offense is also putting up more ppg than Richs offense that you thought we needed to keep.
      I don't think you even need extensive film on Drew to notice that. He needs to trust his line and trust his teammates rather than launch it into space.

Comment

We have to keep this coaching staff and all of the players for two full seasons. We can't keep firing and Yelling to fire and replace everybody after 6 to 8 games. Bad managers want to fire people all the time, good managers try to get the best out of mediocre help, or get the most out of current personal. I don't think we have a mediocre staff or players, but I think we have to give this team a chance to get it together. (No firing anybody.)
        JMHO

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post

This is just simply true. Lock is the one calling the long shots in short yardage situations. Tv analysis TD have pointed week in and week out where Lock consistently misses wide open guys running higher completion % routes and Lock chose to gunsling it because that’s what he likes to do. Explain to me how that falls on Pat? Lock is young and he will learn to quit doing that.

Pats offense is also putting up more ppg than Richs offense that you thought we needed to keep.
          He did not do that last year with a different OC

While I do not break down games like I use to it was pretty obvious against the Pats throwing the ball long was part of the game plan. That game it came from the coaches I have no doubt in my mind.

We really do not know what the coaching is telling him about what he should be looking to do in the game.
          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

I really want the guy gone but we cant keep firing OC's and having a new offense every single year. You dont build teams like that. We just have to keep him and hopefully him and Lock can adjust to one another

where are the rpo's, screens, qb keeps, anything creative instead of long passes

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post

He did not do that last year with a different OC

While I do not break down games like I use to it was pretty obvious against the Pats throwing the ball long was part of the game plan. That game it came from the coaches I have no doubt in my mind.

We really do not know what the coaching is telling him about what he should be looking to do in the game.
              It should also be noted that part of the reason Scangarello was let go was because allegedly Fangio didn't think he was aggressive enough in terms of downfield throws.
              sigpic

Comment

That's the course that has led the offense to its current state. They should try the opposite for once. The Bills are starting to reap the rewards for keeping Josh Allen and Brian Daboll together. It would not have happened in Denver. Derek Carr is starting to look efficient in Jon Gruden's scheme. It took some time. There are flashes in the pan, yes, but we can't expect it to be the rule for everyone.

The constant firing of offensive coordinators since 2017 has hurt the franchise in many ways. For example, the offensive line can't commit to a scheme. It was focus on zone, then focus on man, then hybrid. They draft players for a scheme that is not there anymore. Lock was being coached by two different guys in terms of mechanics, footwork for that Shanahan, play-action system and now he has Shurmur and Shula teaching different stuff for their scheme. That's not how you help a young QB settle down and look comfortable.

The young players, injuries, restricted offseason etc are a valid excuse for the current results. The Broncos lead the league in drops. That's not on Shurmur. Jake Rodgers is the 4th option at RT after James, Wilkinson and Dotson. Rookie center. Lock still is an erratic QB missing reads and throws. No continuity will only make it worse.

We constantly hear about players needing two, three years to adjust to the league. Why can't the same be applied to the OC adjusting to a team and personnel? Just like a player improves year to year, I believe an OC can learn from what has not worked and adjust in the offseason to optimize the offense. I was disappointed when Fangio fired Scangarello, I thought it was a mistake. He really wanted Shurmur, so IMO they should be tied at the hip. I hope they are back in 2021 because I don't see how another reset and 6 OCs in 6 years will make things better.
                sigpic

Comment

Certainly don’t for him in season.

I think the whole staff should go at the end of the season.

I say that while also being somewhat okay with them getting a pass just because of this year.
                  My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                  You Mad Bro?
                  Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Lets just say, we need to come out sharper against LV, because it makes no sense to have such poor starts and great finishes!

I remember how some coaches, like Walsh, drew up the first 15 or so plays. Not sure who does that these days. And even so, they would not necessarily stick to the script, but there was a purpose. Walsh said the reason for scripting was “purely diagnostic.”

“He would test the defense in various ways,” was how it was described. He said, ‘I tested this guy.’ And he would look for things in their secondary, how would the cornerback react, what coverage would they rotate to help the cornerback. And by doing so, he learned through his scripted plays. And use the knowledge accordingly.

Not sure what our coaches do in this regard, but I sure loved the mindset of a great coach, and many like him.

Comment

We have a better choice available?

Comment

Originally posted by Mel B. View Post

It may not be Elway's or J. Russell's NFL but we seem to be running an offense not of this era of NFL.

Murray, Herbert & Burrow all have younger, modern philosophy thinking OCs, where as we have an OC still calling plays from the early 2000's.

As much as our former OC from last season (Rich Scangarello) frustrated me last season by seemingly forgetting how to call plays after 1 quarter, I kind of wish we had stuck with him now. I was hoping he would've gotten with Kyle Shanahan during the off-season and picked his brain to get better at designing and calling plays for this modern-era of NFL offense rather than what Shurmur has been scheming up.
                        My thoughts/comments from the Game Day thread.

Comment

When an OC creates a playbook and schemes... do coaches or anyone look it over and critique it?

Reason I ask is every game this year with Lock at the helm, if it's 3rd and 12 or longer, the play called is ALWAYS a 3-4yrd dump off that has resulted in ZERO first downs.

You can be the best most creative writer in history, but you still need an editor as not everything "fits" and right now our OC's playbook NEEDS an editor.
                          Sept. 10, 2006, [email protected] 10-18, Sept. 28, 2008, [email protected] 19-33, Nov. 16, 2014, [email protected] 7-22 <--Broncos games I've attended

Comment

As usual, thankful fans aren't in charge of team management LOL. Musical chairs with coaches will never produce the desired result.

- New Line
                            - New Players
                            - New Coach
                            - New Playbook

It takes time for things to gel, fans engaging in toxic kneejerk decision-making rants is toxic.
                            I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
                              Pat calls for the Long Ball when it is 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 1 or 4th and 3 or 4th and 1 time and time and time again.
                              Guy called mike shanahan used to make a living calling long balls on those downs and distances for Jake plummer.

Maybe the players are the issue?

Comment

Nah. Limp through the rest of this messed up season and start over next year. Hopefully we have an off season next year that returns to normal.
                                Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

Working...
                                X