No announcement yet.

Fire Pat Shurmur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 😂😂 I’m permanently sticking in the NFL Draft, Scouting, and Free Agent Talk section for the rest of the year. This was a strong overall game by Shurmur that hinged on the outcome of certain players’ execution.

Dotson makes that block on Mathieu, we score before halftime.

Hamler makes that tough catch on 3rd down, we likely tie or take the lead.

Gordon was dominant and our offensive line was hauling out there. Lock was actually taking open looks over the middle for most of the game (we ran screens! 😳) until he decided to play hero ball. Not Shumur’s fault that Lock chucks it deep when there is a guy schemed open underneath. It’s easy to trash Shurmur when the outcomes are unfavorable. I see a team with great potential in this scheme in need of a more consistent and accurate QB. Oh well.
    2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
    Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

Comment

• 4-8 Yessss Scored 16 points lol and got the Loss

Comment

• I thought Shumur called a decent game.

Shumur has to simplify this offense so much for Lock through PA and quick strikes underneath (if Lock even takes those easy throws). Better QB play would have won this game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peerless View Post
          I thought Shumur called a decent game.

Shumur has to simplify this offense so much for Lock through PA and quick strikes underneath (if Lock even takes those easy throws). Better QB play would have won this game.
          I assume you saw my comment from Reddit

Agreed, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
            I assume you saw my comment from Reddit

Agreed, though.
            Upvoted for sure!

Comment

• I’m not a big Shurmur fan, but he did call a good game. He’s starting to commit to the run more and I like the pulls.

I think he called a good gene against the Dolphins too. I like that he looks to be innovating a bit. He’s going to a short game and it’s helping them stay in games.

Honestly, if he keeps calling good games, I can see myself becoming a bigger fan of his. He does need better play out of his QB.
              sigpic

Comment

• In the beginning of the game they showed a state that showed that Lock leads the league in deep ball attempts and has the least amount passes under 20 yards attempted. That all falls on Shurmur. He's the reason Lock is regressing. We have Jeudy who is supposed to be a great route runner but yet we never throw slants to him or any other short routes. Makes no sense.
                Go Hard or Go Home

Comment

• Originally posted by BR0NCOFANATIC View Post
                  In the beginning of the game they showed a state that showed that Lock leads the league in deep ball attempts and has the least amount passes under 20 yards attempted. That all falls on Shurmur. He's the reason Lock is regressing. We have Jeudy who is supposed to be a great route runner but yet we never throw slants to him or any other short routes. Makes no sense.
                  Or, as other people have pointed out, Lock has a hero complex and needs to accept the fact that efficiency from the QB position is necessary to win games.
                  Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

• Originally posted by listopencil View Post

Or, as other people have pointed out, Lock has a hero complex and needs to accept the fact that efficiency from the QB position is necessary to win games.
                    Nope because I believe then he would have been benched if he just keep doing what he wanted.
                    Go Hard or Go Home

Comment

• Originally posted by BR0NCOFANATIC View Post

Nope because I believe then he would have been benched if he just keep doing what he wanted.
                      I think there is zero chance of Lock getting benched as punishment and I think it has been that way since he took over.
                      Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

I think there is zero chance of Lock getting benched as punishment and I think it has been that way since he took over.
                        I agree. It's not like we have anyone that can take his place to be honest and him playing is the only way for the front office to evaluate him and decide if they need to move on.
                        Go Hard or Go Home

Comment

Lock needs to be better, no doubt. But I can't totally put this all on Lock. If it is all Lock's hero complex, why didn't we see that last season? Scheme, perhaps?

Shurmur was hired, in part, because of his down-the-field approach. Seems a bit disingenuous to put all the blame on the QB - especially a young QB - for going down the field in a vertical scheme. Maybe a more experienced QB takes more of the underneath options but we're kind of getting what we asked for when Shurmur was hired and paired with a young QB.

Comment

• Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
                            😂😂 I’m permanently sticking in the NFL Draft, Scouting, and Free Agent Talk section for the rest of the year. This was a strong overall game by Shurmur that hinged on the outcome of certain players’ execution.

Dotson makes that block on Mathieu, we score before halftime.

Hamler makes that tough catch on 3rd down, we likely tie or take the lead.

Gordon was dominant and our offensive line was hauling out there. Lock was actually taking open looks over the middle for most of the game (we ran screens! 😳) until he decided to play hero ball. Not Shumur’s fault that Lock chucks it deep when there is a guy schemed open underneath. It’s easy to trash Shurmur when the outcomes are unfavorable. I see a team with great potential in this scheme in need of a more consistent and accurate QB. Oh well.

There’s a lot of should’ve could’ve would’ve’s in every game. For instance If Hill makes that catch die. The sideline Kansas City scores touchdown. If the chiefs were paying attention they could’ve challenged the non touchdown catch in the end zone.
                            Travis Kelce missed for sure touchdown catch with AJ Bouye trailing about 2 yards behind him. There’s a lot of should’ve could’ve would’ve in every game.

Schurmur would need the perfect offensive line and the perfect quarterback to run his system properly the way he intends it to be operated.
                            I’m not sure he’s ever going to find either combination in this lifetime. I think the right guy for his system is already playing in Kansas City.

Perhaps Trevor Lawrence could be that guy but there’s no way Denver gets a shot at him.

Pat Schurmurs system can very detrimental to young quarterbacks, just look at what it did with Daniel Jones in New York last season, compare that to how Daniel Jones is playing now. Not saying he’s great but he’s playing a heck of a lot better.

Schurmur needs an extreme talent at QB with extreme talent on the offensive line to run his system the way he intends it to be ran.

Comment

• Originally posted by neutessa View Post

Lock needs to be better, no doubt. But I can't totally put this all on Lock. If it is all Lock's hero complex, why didn't we see that last season? Scheme, perhaps?

Shurmur was hired, in part, because of his down-the-field approach. Seems a bit disingenuous to put all the blame on the QB - especially a young QB - for going down the field in a vertical scheme. Maybe a more experienced QB takes more of the underneath options but we're kind of getting what we asked for when Shurmur was hired and paired with a young QB.
                              That's a good point.
                              Go Hard or Go Home

Comment

• Originally posted by neutessa View Post

Easy answer. Lock has stayed the same (or even regressed).

What’s funny is that Lock was the complete opposite last year. He hardly took deep shots and was among the league-low in yards per attempt. Lock played quite conservative and was taking those open guys underneath or in the short game. Scangarello put him in PA a lot, where he thrived and is thriving now with Shurmur too. Basically, to have success with Lock is to make sure his first read is always open. That’s not sustainable in the NFL.

Shurmur’s scheme is beautiful when it works. You’re right, there’s a lot more vertical concepts and it’s a bit more complex to the point where it may require the QB to go through progressions. But here’s the thing, Shurmur doesn’t leave Lock out to dry. There’s been multiple times where Lock has passed up on the open outlet passes (or even stared them down from the snap). Where there are receivers going vertical, there’s been Fant coming across the field open for an easy first down but doesn’t get the ball.

But let’s be real here. Shurmur isn’t the one throwing the ball. He’s adjusted and tailored the offense to Lock’s strengths and limitations. At the end of the day, it’s still Lock making these questionable decisions and missing open reads. Would you blame Kubiak/McCoy for Lynch being a bust? Maybe slightly, but still you wouldn’t. We have a significant sample size to make judgments on Lock now. He’s had more chances than Lynch by now, too.

https://twitter.com/masedenver/statu...622596609?s=21

Not good company to be in looking at this tweet.

Comment

Working...
                                X