X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BroncoFanDK
    replied
    Originally posted by DiveInstructor View Post

I'm curious why so many think that the non-signing of Osweiller would have turned into a good thing. After his "debut" as a team's QB in Houston, he was let go and has been unable to secure a spot as a team's QB. Seems like he's back-up material at best. I doubt him staying would have produced substantially different results in his play.

I think Elway dodged a bullet not signing Osweiller. Unfortunately, he took a bullet by going with Siemian.
    It is an absolute absurdity to call Siemian as a starter a bullet that Elway took. Siemian was a late 7th round draft pick that vastly over performed, and who has produced the 2nd best W/L percentage of any QB we have drafted in the last 30 years (After Tim Tebow).

Siemian had the brain - not the body to be an elite QB, but he is hands down the best QB selection made by Elway, other than getting Manning to come.

Leave a comment:

• Kyousukeneko
    replied
    I think consultant is a good role for Elway.

Leave a comment:

• Letswinplz77
    replied
    Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post

There's no hate. I'm grateful for all he's done for this franchise. But the fact that he stepped down himself indicates that he no longer felt he could do the job and proves that he indeed needed to go.
    There's Elway the player, and Elway the GM. They are two very different stories
    Yeah, the former took us to 5 Super Bowls in 16 years, winning 2, the latter took us to 2 Super Bowls in 10 years, winning 1. Are we honestly disappointed with those results?

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied
    Originally posted by dgobronco View Post

I wonder about Fangio too. If I were coming in as a GM, I’d take a hard look at all the players and coaches and make the moves needed to improve the team. Consistency is the strongest argument for keeping Fangio and most of the coaching staff, and not one I’d take lightly. Next season is make or break for Lock, and I would guess Fangio as well.
    Then you end up with a Jim Caldwell situation where he gets evaluated and then fired just because he’s not the new GM’s guy. In Fangio’s case, he would be a less deserving coach, but still almost unfair to him.

Leave a comment:

• dgobronco
    replied
    Originally posted by broncolee View Post
    Well, Elway is going to be team president and a GM with GM power is going to hired.

I wonder if that means Fangio’s days are numbered.

Can’t really expect to hire a quality GM if you’re going to saddle him to a less than stellar head coach.
    I wonder about Fangio too. If I were coming in as a GM, I’d take a hard look at all the players and coaches and make the moves needed to improve the team. Consistency is the strongest argument for keeping Fangio and most of the coaching staff, and not one I’d take lightly. Next season is make or break for Lock, and I would guess Fangio as well.

Leave a comment:

• broncolee
    replied
    Well, Elway is going to be team president and a GM with GM power is going to hired.

I wonder if that means Fangio’s days are numbered.

Can’t really expect to hire a quality GM if you’re going to saddle him to a less than stellar head coach.

Leave a comment:

• DiveInstructor
    replied
    Originally posted by GMTD View Post

I think it all started with not tying down Osweiller after the SB season. ...

I'm curious why so many think that the non-signing of Osweiller would have turned into a good thing. After his "debut" as a team's QB in Houston, he was let go and has been unable to secure a spot as a team's QB. Seems like he's back-up material at best. I doubt him staying would have produced substantially different results in his play.

I think Elway dodged a bullet not signing Osweiller. Unfortunately, he took a bullet by going with Siemian.

Leave a comment:

• GMTD
    replied
    Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    Tired of all this hate for Elway. The dude is 90-70 as a GM with 2 Super Bowl appearances and a ring. Lest we forget. This roster is loaded with young talent. My only knock on him is his inability to find the right coach. I think Osweiler, Lynch, and now Lock all had potential to be good QBs with the proper coaching.

Elways not perfect, but he’s definitely in the top half of GMs in the league still. If Lock pans out. He remains one of the best.
    Inability towards the second half of his GM tenure to find the right HC or QB (although you're right that Lock could still work out). The first half was stellar.

I think it all started with not tying down Osweiller after the SB season. He knew he wanted to move on from Manning but couldn't quite bring himself to tell him to go, and waited an eternity for him to make up his mind to retire. All water under the bridge now.

Leave a comment:

• TheAsianPA
    replied
    Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    Tired of all this hate for Elway. The dude is 90-70 as a GM with 2 Super Bowl appearances and a ring. Lest we forget. This roster is loaded with young talent. My only knock on him is his inability to find the right coach. I think Osweiler, Lynch, and now Lock all had potential to be good QBs with the proper coaching.

Elways not perfect, but he’s definitely in the top half of GMs in the league still. If Lock pans out. He remains one of the best.
    There's no hate. I'm grateful for all he's done for this franchise. But the fact that he stepped down himself indicates that he no longer felt he could do the job and proves that he indeed needed to go. There's Elway the player, and Elway the GM. They are two very different stories.

Leave a comment:

• chessic
    replied
    “Tired of all this hate for Elway. The dude is 90-70 as a GM with 2 Super Bowl appearances and a ring. Lest we forget. This roster is loaded with young talent. My only knock on him is his inability to find the right coach. I think Osweiler, Lynch, and now Lock all had potential to be good QBs with the proper coaching.

Elways not perfect, but he’s definitely in the top half of GMs in the league still. If Lock pans out. He remains one of the best.”

Agreed. Elway has to take responsibility when his scouts give him bad information. IMO busts are not always his fault. We could use better scouts, it seems. But let’s see what changes since he’s (sorta) stepped down.

Leave a comment:

• KWHIT97
    replied

Leave a comment:

• KWHIT97
    replied
    Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
    Now that Lynn got fired in LA, Elway better hope they don’t find a way to pluck Bieniemy out of KC or Denver will be looking up from the bottom for a while
    Bienemy is trash, Lynn is a better coach.

Leave a comment:

• MrMax
    replied
    Yeah I just heard on the radio that Elway is stepping down as general manager is going to work as a consultant.
    I hope they can find somebody good who can work with 4 or under Elway
    Last edited by MrMax; 01-04-2021, 01:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MrMax
    replied
    Sure, we are hoping a real owner who has invested his own money into his team will want to build a winning team.
    However, the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over for 5 years, then suddenly expecting different results.
    The JE duo has not vested any thing into this team but their ego has a lot to lose.
    Must be nice to have a job where you have no one to answer too.
    Elway was good football player, he just lucky with Pat Bowlen to get this job. And he's lucky Pat can't fire him.

Leave a comment:

• Tdeng88
    replied
    I concur. I personally dont make changes. But wouldnt be incensed if it happened after another poor year and no growth either. Of course that would also depend on who they brought in as replacements. It's also often overlooked just because you make change doesnt mean that change will be a positive one. It could get worse especially in such a competitive division.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X