• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • InsaneBlaze23
    The ArchAngel
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by broncolee View Post

It could be that Elway knew Brady had no interest in Denver.

I think it’s fairly obvious that Brady wanted to go somewhere with a boat load of talent and the ability to influence roster decisions.

I don’t know that Brady would have received either in Denver.

I guess he would have at least had better talent than what was in New England on offense.
    Broncos with Brady are a maybe contender. Fangio at coach would be an issue, his bad decision making and Brady' experience would clash. Elway probably didn't wanna continue delaying a rebuild by having Brady temporarily. Mike Evans on the talent front is better than any offensive target Brady would have had if he did sign with Denver. His wife also plays a big role, it is said that she really wanted a nice weather location, and her being a model, Florida is a hot bed for that.

Fans can't assume that just because Manning signed here, that any and every QB or player would also do the same. You have to want to sign somewhere to sign for the team. Denver ain't as attractive the natives think it is.
    sigpic
    Adopted Broncos:
    EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• broncolee
      Football Immortal
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post

Broncos with Brady are a maybe contender. Fangio at coach would be an issue, his bad decision making and Brady' experience would clash. Elway probably didn't wanna continue delaying a rebuild by having Brady temporarily. Mike Evans on the talent front is better than any offensive target Brady would have had if he did sign with Denver. His wife also plays a big role, it is said that she really wanted a nice weather location, and her being a model, Florida is a hot bed for that.

Fans can't assume that just because Manning signed here, that any and every QB or player would also do the same. You have to want to sign somewhere to sign for the team. Denver ain't as attractive the natives think it is.
      Good points.

I would say that Elway could have advised Fangio to follow Fox’s example of how he handled Manning. That might have mitigated Fangio’s penchant for bad decision making.
      Stop Feeding The Trolls, Please!!!!!

Comment

• BroncoBrennan89
        Bench Warmer
        • Aug 2008

Losing Kubiak sucked big time. Huge loss.

Comment

• MrMax
          Captain
          • Sep 2020

Originally posted by BroncoBrennan89 View Post
          Losing Kubiak sucked big time. Huge loss.
          I thought he quit for health reasons. Now he's back in football, was he sick of his boss?

BTW, Go Tampa Bay Brady Bucs!!!!

Comment

• TheAsianPA
            Captain
            • Oct 2015

Originally posted by MrMax View Post
            Tell me why again; Elway showed no interest in Tom Brady? Now I certainly understand why Brady wouldnt want to come here, but if Superbowl wins prove your smart , maybe we should get him for GM after he retires. In the meantime the Bucs have 44 points with 2 min left.
            The official statement was that Lock was the undisputed starter. Had we had no young QB we might have tried for Brady.
            Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• Capt. Jack
              Football Immortal
              • Oct 2010

I don't think Elway wanted Brady and Brady wasn't interested in playing for Denver.
              And as far as "Fire Elway" I figured we would be moving on to other subjects at this point.

Comment

• Hadez
                Football Immortal
                • Nov 2004

IMO a lot of the most vocal critical posters seem to not have a good idea at what other teams in the NFL are going through. It seems everyone is comparing the Broncos against the Patriots and not even considering most of the NFL is less successful than the Broncos
                What is Grit? - Angela Duckworth
                effort x talent = skill
                effort x skill = achievement
                How much time do you invest into your dream? 10 hours a week? 20 hours? 40 hours? 80 hours? 120 hours?

Comment

• broncolee
                  Football Immortal
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                  IMO a lot of the most vocal critical posters seem to not have a good idea at what other teams in the NFL are going through. It seems everyone is comparing the Broncos against the Patriots and not even considering most of the NFL is less successful than the Broncos
                  Good point

However, it is not unusual for a fan base to get spoiled and feel entitled.

That’s how you get Steeler fans and others denigrating Mike Tomlin as a coach, even though the next time he has a losing season will be the first time he has a losing season.

The problems of the last 4 seasons are undeniable. I would say 5, but 9-7 is a winning record.

It became apparent that Elway is not the guy to be searching for the guy. As good as he is at finding defensive talent, he can’t find a quarterback unless a guaranteed hall of famer slaps him in the face.

Comment

• DiveInstructor
                    Starter
                    • Dec 2020

I'm often of the mindset that if you want to be good at something, it's best to focus on those better than you. I've personally found this to be constructive for me. That said, this is what the Texans put in place as VP of football ops....

https://twitter.com/nzakos/status/13...-elite-failson

Holy cow. This comes from a McNair hiring. McNair's yet another example of someone who inherited their wealth and have no clue what they're doing. We've seen the incompetence of these kinds of people many times in our country. I may bash Ellis, but at least he isn't one of those idiots.
                    Last edited by DiveInstructor; 02-13-2021, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• johnlimburg
                      Ring of Famer
                      • Sep 2009

As someone who has been very critical of Elway, and only being able to speak for myself, I think this is what a loser justifying failure uses as an excuse to make themselves feel better. We are not going well, but, look at them over there as well, they are bad too, that mentality is the definition of a losers mentality. Look, this organization with Elway had some great times, but 4 losing seasons in a row will leave a sour taste in anyone's mouth, and when you had not had back to back losing seasons since the 70's prior to this poor run, I believe the ones who have been critical are well justified in their perspective. Also the fact a man regarded as the most competitive man in the room stepped aside at the height of his failure as an executive speaks volumes in my opinion.

Comment

• BroncoFanDK
                        All-Pro
                        • Nov 2004

I think that you are missing the balance that there is a lot to be critical of Elway for and there is a lot to be thankful for.
                        By taking a step back I think that Elway has done everyone a favor.
                        The sticking point with Elway is clearly his ability to identify what the makeup of a succesful QB is. To me he does not seem to understand that it takes more than a specific set of physical skills to win in the NFL, and I think he has that in common with a majority of fans that they undervalue leadership and overvalues irrelevant stats.
                        The amazing things that Elway did was land Peyton Manning, realise that we needed an elite defense, fire Fox after 4 straight division titles and one SB appearance and being in Kubiak.
                        BUT..
                        Was Fox really a good HC to develop a young QB?
                        Was it really brilliant to have Mike McCoy running things on offense?
                        Was Dennis Allen really that good?
                        Why did we go with Orton and why did Elway not see what 2011 could/would become?
                        Why when we look at Elways choices at QB have we not had anyone that had leadership?

In the 30+ years I have been a fan of the Broncos, all out playoff winning QBs have had excellent leadership and had huge loyalty from their teammates, and aside from Siemian that had a bit it does not seem like Elway understand that part of what made him great was that he cared more about winning than about his contracts - to some extent like Brady.
                        There is a lot not ot like about what Elway has done and and there is a lot to love, but it has been a pretty bad mess for the last 4 years. The 2016 season left a bit of hope that Siemian could become the guy. I haven't seen much hope in 4 years.

I think that Fox, McCoy, Allen, Elway lucked into the Tebow run and they did not understand what his greatness was - only his limitations, and if Manning had not come to Denver I think that Elway/Fox would have ruined the building blocks we had. Rumor was that Elway really liked Brandon Weeden - imagine where we would be if he had traded Tebow away (as Shannon Sharpe says he would have - I don't think he would have dared wo PM) and drafted Weeden in 1st round.

Comment

• InsaneBlaze23
                          The ArchAngel
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post

As someone who has been very critical of Elway, and only being able to speak for myself, I think this is what a loser justifying failure uses as an excuse to make themselves feel better. We are not going well, but, look at them over there as well, they are bad too, that mentality is the definition of a losers mentality. Look, this organization with Elway had some great times, but 4 losing seasons in a row will leave a sour taste in anyone's mouth, and when you had not had back to back losing seasons since the 70's prior to this poor run, I believe the ones who have been critical are well justified in their perspective. Also the fact a man regarded as the most competitive man in the room stepped aside at the height of his failure as an executive speaks volumes in my opinion.
                          I can understand this, because it really is "Well we aren't the Chiefs, but we also aren't the Jags...so cheer up."
                          sigpic
                          Adopted Broncos:
                          EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• InsaneBlaze23
                            The ArchAngel
                            • Jan 2009

I'd wager a lot of people here and fans in general do have a good idea. It's just how that becomes interpreted, how it gets understood, and personal analyst thrown onto as well. A lot of fans pay attention to more than one team, some pay attention to all of them. So they are aware of what's going on in Detroit and New York, while also staying up to date with Denver. If someone takes part in a sports forum, they are a sports junkie. Meaning they intake a large amount of sports content, regardless of who they support. Yes, personal feeling can impact decisions and ignore facts, stats, reality. But generally, everyone has an idea of what other teams are going through.
                            sigpic
                            Adopted Broncos:
                            EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• jazzbodog
                              Football Immortal
                              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                              However, it is not unusual for a fan base to get spoiled and feel entitled.
                              Like Dallas Cowboy fans? Bronco fans aren't that spoiled are they?
                              Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• broncolee
                                Football Immortal
                                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

Like Dallas Cowboy fans? Bronco fans aren't that spoiled are they?
                                No, but we do sometimes get spoiled and act like we’re entitled.

Comment

Working...
                                X