Drew Lock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
    Pressure arrived after 2 seconds, and that’s when DL rolled into the sack/fumble. I know he’s a gunslinger and trying to make a play... but that’s the knock on him and used as a reason why he won’t make it.

We saw that today... he hasn’t learned what not to do. Throw ball away and live to fight another day.

It’s not an indictment on the young kid... 0-2 not on him... but he did miss the throw last week, and he did turn a busted play into a game changing momentum swing bc he wasn’t prepared...if Dupree and Watt wasn’t on his mind, then we have big problems bc he lacks situational intelligence.
    The first read was to the right of the field, TJ Watt was in his line of sight. Wilkinson was beat immediately. A second, 2 seconds whatever, he saw his RT get beat and felt his LT get beat and started to try and scramble away from it. He didn’t have any time other than to look at the first read.

The only coaching point for him here is that it’s better to climb the pocket than to loop around. But Dupree would’ve crushed him as Risner and Bolles blew the stunt and the RB avoided chipping him on his way out.

Comment

Ultimately, on who deserves blame for that particular play (sack/fumble)... it boils down to the play call. What did PS call? What was DL supposed to do?

If the play called for a quick strike (slant, out, In, curl, or whatever) then bad on DL. If it was anything else, then bad on Pat. I’m operating under the auspices that PS isn’t a total moron... Perchance, I assume too much.
      It also boils down to Lock not even noticing the pressure from his right and running right into trouble. He would always have options and he did not check out.

It is confusing to see how Lock is put on a pedistal, when all our other QBs not named Peyton Manning have been torn to shreeds with blame for everything. QBs make mistakes like other players do. It is strange how people double down on Lock being the best thing since sliced toast

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
        It also boils down to Lock not even noticing the pressure from his right and running right into trouble. He would always have options and he did not check out.

It is confusing to see how Lock is put on a pedistal, when all our other QBs not named Peyton Manning have been torn to shreeds with blame for everything. QBs make mistakes like other players do. It is strange how people double down on Lock being the best thing since sliced toast
        Facts. Lock hasn’t even played a full season yet and the bar they place him at is so freaking high. There are People on this board want him to fail. While I’m not Locks biggest fan, I see some potential with him. He’s got a lot to learn but that comes with experience, which he’s not going to get if he’s hurt obviously.

Comment

• Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
          Facts. Lock hasn’t even played a full season yet and the bar they place him at is so freaking high. There are People on this board want him to fail. While I’m not Locks biggest fan, I see some potential with him. He’s got a lot to learn but that comes with experience, which he’s not going to get if he’s hurt obviously.
          I would even say he is not going to get the experience he needs if the right side of our pass protection is unable to figure out how to least slow guys down.

If the guy on the LoS is getting to the QB without being slowed down it is hard to think the QB has the time to throw the ball to a guy trying to get open past the LoS.
          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post
            I would even say he is not going to get the experience he needs if the right side of our pass protection is unable to figure out how to least slow guys down.

If the guy on the LoS is getting to the QB without being slowed down it is hard to think the QB has the time to throw the ball to a guy trying to get open past the LoS.
            Def true. A lot of people knock Lock for throwing off his back foot. You tend to throw off your back foot if you have pressure coming. It’s still something he def needs to work on but will be hard with this Oline

Comment

• Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
              Offcause the bar is high, as it has been since Elway.
              Griese was no Elway and a "failure" though so far he and Lock are probably on par.
              Plummer was not appreciated though he actually won a higher percentage of games than Elway - but he was neither Peyton Manning nor John Elway
              Cutler failed to match Plummer
              Tebow who had a lot less support than Lock, and was on the 3rd HC/System, was not the off season starter - not with he ones in TC, in a strike shortened offseason.... He is considered a bust by many here, even though at this time in his career (7 starts) he was converting a lost team to a winning team and was in the midst of a 6 game winning steak.
              Trevor Siemian was considered a bust because he was not Peyton Manning, though he was objectively better at this stage than Lock.
              Paxton Lynch got 3 starts before he was shipped off.

Personally, I think it is very important to see signs that Lock is a keeper - not just someone who throws some pretty passes, and I think that if failure looks like what Tebow did, then the bar is insanely high for Lock. If failing is making the divisional round, then Lock needs to "raise all ships".

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
                Offcause the bar is high, as it has been since Elway.
                Griese was no Elway and a "failure" though so far he and Lock are probably on par.
                Plummer was not appreciated though he actually won a higher percentage of games than Elway - but he was neither Peyton Manning nor John Elway
                Cutler failed to match Plummer
                Tebow who had a lot less support than Lock, and was on the 3rd HC/System, was not the off season starter - not with he ones in TC, in a strike shortened offseason.... He is considered a bust by many here, even though at this time in his career (7 starts) he was converting a lost team to a winning team and was in the midst of a 6 game winning steak.
                Trevor Siemian was considered a bust because he was not Peyton Manning, though he was objectively better at this stage than Lock.
                Paxton Lynch got 3 starts before he was shipped off.

Personally, I think it is very important to see signs that Lock is a keeper - not just someone who throws some pretty passes, and I think that if failure looks like what Tebow did, then the bar is insanely high for Lock. If failing is making the divisional round, then Lock needs to "raise all ships".
                Basically you just told me Broncos Country overreacts and judges too quickly lol

Side note: was Trevor really a bust? He was a 7th round QB with no expectations from anyone imo. Plummer should have never been run out of this town. I get why we were made at him at times because he was a turnover machine. However, he won and was perfect for that Mike Shannahan offense.

Comment

• Anyone who is judging Lock one way or the other is being absurd, IMO.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                    Anyone who is judging Lock one way or the other is being absurd, IMO.
                    Well, I think we can say he's no Russell Wilson or Mahomes. But he may develop into a good, solid QB, and that may be enough to win things.

Also the concerns about his durability are real. It doesn't matter how good you are if you're never able to take a snap.

However, it's still early days in Project Lock.

Comment

• Originally posted by GMTD View Post
                      Well, I think we can say he's no Russell Wilson or Mahomes. But he may develop into a good, solid QB, and that may be enough to win things.

Also the concerns about his durability are real. It doesn't matter how good you are if you're never able to take a snap.

I don't know what we have in Lock. We have 6 games and a very unusual off season in between. Maybe he's an elite quarterback, or maybe he's a Matt Ryan-type, or maybe he's Sam Bradford.

Now, if the season goes into the tank and we're sitting at a high draft pick for 2021, of course there will be discussion as to what we're going to do and what direction we should go, specifically at quarterback. But I just think any definitive assessment of Lock one way or the other after 6 games and a quarantined off season is extremely premature.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by GMTD View Post

In fairness, Drew Locks’s stats are actually slightly better than Russell Wilson’s after his first 6 games.

But, 2 injuries to his throwing arm in just a handful of games is not good, not good at all. Hopefully he only misses a couple and comes back and tears it up. But, at moment things aren’t looking good for him, you gotta protect your arm at all costs as a QB.

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                          In fairness, Drew Locks’s stats are actually slightly better than Russell Wilson’s after his first 6 games.

But, 2 injuries to his throwing arm in just a handful of games is not good, not good at all. Hopefully he only misses a couple and comes back and tears it up. But, at moment things aren’t looking good for him, you gotta protect your arm at all costs as a QB.
                          To be fair, the thumb injury is greatly exaggerated. The only reason why he was put in IR for it is because the Broncos didn't expect him to replace Flacco last season and they wanted the roster space.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                            To be fair, the thumb injury is greatly exaggerated. The only reason why he was put in IR for it is because the Broncos didn't expect him to replace Flacco last season and they wanted the roster space.
                            True, but he still fell awkward on his throwing arm that time too, he didn’t learn from that. I really don’t want my QB saying he has to learn how to fall better.

We all hated Manning’s self sacks, but there’s a reason he started 200+ games straight. Favre started pretty much every game too, and yet got hit all the time, just gotta know how to protect yourself when going down.

Comment

That’s why you get 2 hands on the ball, no?
                              You saying its his fault because he had wide open wrs, then its his fault because he didnt throw it away

Is alot differant than keeping two hands on the ball as you are tripped up
                              sigpic
                              when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                                True, but he still fell awkward on his throwing arm that time too, he didn’t learn from that. I really don’t want my QB saying he has to learn how to fall better.

We all hated Manning’s self sacks, but there’s a reason he started 200+ games straight. Favre started pretty much every game too, and yet got hit all the time, just gotta know how to protect yourself when going down.
                                Well the play yesterday where he got hurt was pretty much his entire fault. There was no excuse for him to take that hit - he should have just rolled out and as soon as he saw the pressure coming thrown it away. He waited too long for a receiver to get open and paid for it.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X