Drew Lock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by listopencil View Post

From what I've seen the O-Line has been obviously better ever since they put Dotson in at RT. That happened while Lock was injured on IR. So, consider his play from last season and then this season up until he was injured. He did some good stuff last year. He looked like crap this year. Then he continued to look like crap when he came back and had Dotson. That's the important part. He needs to get his head out of his butt and make the plays he can make. If he can do that, he'll be fine. He had a good 4th quarter today. Maybe he can build on that. We have the rest of the season to see what he can do.
    Dotson replacing Wilkinson was a good move, however that didn’t fix Risner’s regression, Cushenberry’s rookie struggles, and Glasgow’s inconsistency. And Schlottman was not effective filling in for Glasgow either.

Lock had a good 4th quarter because Bosa went out so Ingram got extra attention giving Lock time to actually get through his reads and set his feet and step into throws. Also Shurmur stopped alternating between stick and spacing concepts. There were actually some crossing routes and level concepts that weren’t rollouts in the 2nd half. Lock is young, Shurmur has to give him easy reads to build his confidence much like you have to do with any young QB. Crossers are just foot races against man coverage and we have receivers that can win those, levels concepts gives him one direction to read multiple receivers which was what the Hamilton TD looked to be.

Comment

• Good job by Drew lock coming back after throwing that atrocious pick. He threw some nice tight spirals and had a game winning Drive!

Comment

• Originally posted by sra84 View Post
        I'm not sold on Lock. Once the season is over, we need to try to get the #1 pick to get Trevor Lawrence, if he enters the draft. I'm tired of project QB's and bum free agent QB'S. It didn't take a genius to sign Peyton Manning.
        I mean Peyton was coming off a broken neck, it's not like we are talking prime Peyton. Not to mention, there was competition for his services. That was hardly a slam dunk, and should be commended and not glazed over.
        What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
        I don't know and I don't care

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

Dotson replacing Wilkinson was a good move, however that didn’t fix Risner’s regression, Cushenberry’s rookie struggles, and Glasgow’s inconsistency. And Schlottman was not effective filling in for Glasgow either.

Lock had a good 4th quarter because Bosa went out so Ingram got extra attention giving Lock time to actually get through his reads and set his feet and step into throws. Also Shurmur stopped alternating between stick and spacing concepts. There were actually some crossing routes and level concepts that weren’t rollouts in the 2nd half. Lock is young, Shurmur has to give him easy reads to build his confidence much like you have to do with any young QB. Crossers are just foot races against man coverage and we have receivers that can win those, levels concepts gives him one direction to read multiple receivers which was what the Hamilton TD looked to be.
          No, but putting Dotson in at RT eliminated a 0.75 second free ride to the QB, and that's huge. Lock has shown the ability to overcome substandard O-Line play. He did it last year stepping in after Flacco and Allen behind the same O-Line. Once again for the billionth year in a row I'm looking at our next draft and hoping that the first pick is an OT that can start on the right as a rookie.

I haven't been pleased with the Offense or the gameplans since Shurmur took over. We come in flat and broken and then try to pull miracles out of our butts as the game slips away. Wash, rinse, repeat. For a guy who is supposed to be a wise old football coach he still gets surprised every week and we end up looking stupid. Not good.
          Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

• Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post

I mean Peyton was coming off a broken neck, it's not like we are talking prime Peyton. Not to mention, there was competition for his services. That was hardly a slam dunk, and should be commended and not glazed over.
            I meant it didn't take a genius to realize that he was a great QB. I know he was coming off an injury. I was merely referring to Elway's inability to find a franchise QB and it didn't take a genius talent evaluator to know what kind of QB Peyton was.

Comment

• Actually,,,,
              We don't know if Elway hasn't found "a franchise QB"
              The way Drew Lock can throw the ball while givin proper protection, who knows how good the kid can be???
              It takes a little bit of time to build a NFL team.
              We have a pretty young Offense.
              And we have the makings of a Nasty Defense.
              "The Mile High Monsters"

Comment

• I at first was all in with Drew then that soured earlier this year and at half time I so ready to Cook and Fry Drew and Pat then all of sudden they pull out a Miracle 4th Quarter. What a comeback I just hope that they can build on this. Great Job Drew Lock Impressive.

Comment

• Originally posted by drhiii View Post
                  Lock did a little dance on the touchdown with 1 second. Are you KIDDING ME? For someone who is no where near an NFL starting QB, wow.. cocky doesn't cover it. He is now officially in my cannot stand the dude category. And as the game coverage ends, Lock is staying on the field, looking to see who is looking at him. Did I mention cocky? Lock, if you read this, you have a seriously long way to go and with your snarky attitude... no way you gonna stick. No way.
                  hes still pretty young and hasnt had much success in the nfl. his attitude is something i dont have an issue with.

Couldnt one of his problems be right now he just isnt having any fun? It is just a game after all.

Comment

What we saw at the end of the game was his potential tbh. Bosa left the game, and Lock was able to stay in the pocket with confidence. When that happened, things started coming together. Right now, he's a guy that needs things to go right around him, and will ride momentum. Franchise guys can stop downward momentum, and create for others. We saw some glimpses of that, but let's see if he can continue to grow.
                    Who doesn't need a good offensive line? Every QB that succeeds has a decent line. The only thing he needs to go right around him is for the line to block.
                    Go Hard or Go Home

Comment

• Originally posted by sra84 View Post
                      I'm not sold on Lock. Once the season is over, we need to try to get the #1 pick to get Trevor Lawrence, if he enters the draft. I'm tired of project QB's and bum free agent QB'S. It didn't take a genius to sign Peyton Manning.
                      We're not getting Lawrence so just forget about it.
                      Go Hard or Go Home

Comment

• Originally posted by BR0NCOFANATIC View Post

Who doesn't need a good offensive line? Every QB that succeeds has a decent line. The only thing he needs to go right around him is for the line to block.
                        Good QBs make the OL better. They go hand in hand with each other. Neither our OL or QB are good enough to off set one another, but if Lock improves the OL will be better as well.
                        What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                        I don't know and I don't care

Comment

• Originally posted by drhiii View Post
                          Lock did a little dance on the touchdown with 1 second. Are you KIDDING ME? For someone who is no where near an NFL starting QB, wow.. cocky doesn't cover it. He is now officially in my cannot stand the dude category. And as the game coverage ends, Lock is staying on the field, looking to see who is looking at him. Did I mention cocky? Lock, if you read this, you have a seriously long way to go and with your snarky attitude... no way you gonna stick. No way.
                          You may want to consider following another team if you don't like a great 4th quarter comeback and happy players after they accomplish something like that. That was a great, signature win by our new team.

Comment

Good QBs make the OL better. They go hand in hand with each other. Neither our OL or QB are good enough to off set one another, but if Lock improves the OL will be better as well.
                            As well as play calling. It’s hard to keep your QB upright if you’re constantly calling up long developing plays or if you’re rolling him into pressure on naked bootlegs or asking your LG to peel back on a play action to block the right edge rusher

Comment

• I see no progress with Lock. I'm fine if they use the whole season for evaluation but I'm about 75% done with him. 1-2 more games will either seal my opinion or shock me back to his side (which is my sincere hope).

Right now, I see an overly confident (bordering immature) qb who doesn't handle pressure well at all. His football iq and prep doesn't appear very high. His mechanics are inconsistent, so is his accuracy. His anticipation throwing is non-existent, so he is often late. He panics quickly and starts improvising/hold the ball too long. Maddeningly, he stares down receivers and fails his progression. These are all issues from his first game and none of them appear even one step improved. Many of these issues seem worse. To me, Lock doesn't pass the eye test. He looks nothing like any of the successful, new qbs from the last 5 years. I hope I'm wrong and he suddenly starts playing to a potentially high ceiling.

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncos1963 View Post
                                I see no progress with Lock. I'm fine if they use the whole season for evaluation but I'm about 75% done with him. 1-2 more games will either seal my opinion or shock me back to his side (which is my sincere hope).

Right now, I see an overly confident (bordering immature) qb who doesn't handle pressure well at all. His football iq and prep doesn't appear very high. His mechanics are inconsistent, so is his accuracy. His anticipation throwing is non-existent, so he is often late. He panics quickly and starts improvising/hold the ball too long. Maddeningly, he stares down receivers and fails his progression. These are all issues from his first game and none of them appear even one step improved. Many of these issues seem worse. To me, Lock doesn't pass the eye test. He looks nothing like any of the successful, new qbs from the last 5 years. I hope I'm wrong and he suddenly starts playing to a potentially high ceiling.
                                I strongly disagree with him staring down receivers, when he does it’s generally the design of the play call. A lot of the routes end up being bunched up together, for example there was a completion to Fant where he ran a curl route but the initial read (the WR) ran a slant while the RB released into the flat towards the WR running a slant. The TE is the 2nd read on this play, the 1st read is to read the play side LB/S and see if the WR is going to clear into space or if they suck into the WR the pass goes to the RB. The alignment of the defense took away both option because Fant ran a curl route, the WR had no open space to run to because that’s a terrible play design. If the defender goes under the WR, which he did, it takes away both targets on the first read. Lock didn’t panic and waited for the WR to pull Fant’s guy away and hit him for the completion. Hell on the TD, Hamler was the 3rd WR he looked at. Hamilton to the back corner was the initial read, Jeudy crossing was the 2nd (or possibly Albert O sneaking out backside), and then Hamler after Lock made both defenders hesitate.

A lot of the time Shurmur’s play design will make it look like the QB is staring down a particular WR when in reality he’s really being asked to read a defender or defenders and make a choice based off what they do. Very rarely is a progression a linear thing against zone coverage, it’ll rarely be WR1, 2, 3, TE, RB etc. More often than not the progression will be Safeties (validating coverage shell) and then your key defenders. It’s rare for a QB to be able to get to the other side of the field because protection won’t hold so most of the time you aren’t getting past the 2nd read. If you look at Hamilton’s TD, Lock looks at the single high safety and has 2 targets in his line of sight when he throws, a curl route and the post route and to me it looked like he looked towards the curl first before seeing Hamilton had inside leverage. The curl is there to pull the defense down and open up the post so again Lock is really just validating the coverage shell by looking at the S and then reading the defender between the curl and post. Hamilton was in tight so inside leverage was pretty much guaranteed since the CB wasn’t up near him on the LoS.
                                Last edited by beastlyskronk; 11-01-2020, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X