Drew Lock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

I strongly disagree with him staring down receivers, when he does it’s generally the design of the play call. A lot of the routes end up being bunched up together, for example there was a completion to Fant where he ran a curl route but the initial read (the WR) ran a slant while the RB released into the flat towards the WR running a slant. The TE is the 2nd read on this play, the 1st read is to read the play side LB/S and see if the WR is going to clear into space or if they suck into the WR the pass goes to the RB. The alignment of the defense took away both option because Fant ran a curl route, the WR had no open space to run to because that’s a terrible play design. If the defender goes under the WR, which he did, it takes away both targets on the first read. Lock didn’t panic and waited for the WR to pull Fant’s guy away and hit him for the completion. Hell on the TD, Hamler was the 3rd WR he looked at. Hamilton to the back corner was the initial read, Jeudy crossing was the 2nd (or possibly Albert O sneaking out backside), and then Hamler after Lock made both defenders hesitate.

A lot of the time Shurmur’s play design will make it look like the QB is staring down a particular WR when in reality he’s really being asked to read a defender or defenders and make a choice based off what they do. Very rarely is a progression a linear thing against zone coverage, it’ll rarely be WR1, 2, 3, TE, RB etc. More often than not the progression will be Safeties (validating coverage shell) and then your key defenders. It’s rare for a QB to be able to get to the other side of the field because protection won’t hold so most of the time you aren’t getting past the 2nd read. If you look at Hamilton’s TD, Lock looks at the single high safety and has 2 targets in his line of sight when he throws, a curl route and the post route and to me it looked like he looked towards the curl first before seeing Hamilton had inside leverage. The curl is there to pull the defense down and open up the post so again Lock is really just validating the coverage shell by looking at the S and then reading the defender between the curl and post. Hamilton was in tight so inside leverage was pretty much guaranteed since the CB wasn’t up near him on the LoS.
    My football knowledge isn't strong enough to dispute your breakdown. That said, I simply don't see what you're describing from the network broadcast. I don't expect Lock to get past read 2 right now, unless it's ideal protection. But I see Lock take the snap and seemingly lock onto his target as he back-pedals or rolls. Then continues staring until the receiver has turned for the ball, which he then rifles. Defenders are reading his eyes, combined with the late throw, they recover and are glued to the receiver by the time the pass arrives. Also, they usually have additional help so YAC is almost impossible. Obviously, there are exceptions but, in general, this is how it plays out.

All that said, I really hope I'm completely wrong, you're dead-on, and Lock is simply growing into something. But, right now, I don't see any of that happening at all.

Comment

• There’s a lot Drew needs to work on... a lot of inconsistencies... his deep ball is nowhere near guys... but he’s young, has been injured both rookie and second season and then COVID ruined a complete offseason of development.

If he has time, he looks like he can be a franchise QB. Maybe not elite, top 10, MVP... but a guy in the top half? Sure!

Big win. It should be celebrated. He basically fought for his life and went from being the bum of the DIV to know he may be the second best? This means DEN is playing meaningful games in NOV.

Lock and Fangio May not be ideal but both seem to be capable to at least give us hope for the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by drhiii View Post
        Lock did a little dance on the touchdown with 1 second. Are you KIDDING ME? For someone who is no where near an NFL starting QB, wow.. cocky doesn't cover it. He is now officially in my cannot stand the dude category. And as the game coverage ends, Lock is staying on the field, looking to see who is looking at him. Did I mention cocky? Lock, if you read this, you have a seriously long way to go and with your snarky attitude... no way you gonna stick. No way.
        He orchestrated a really cool 4th quarter comeback, loved how the team rallied around him.

Were you hoping we would lose?
        [sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post

You may want to consider following another team if you don't like a great 4th quarter comeback and happy players after they accomplish something like that. That was a great, signature win by our new team.
          Yeah, I agree with this. It reminded me of "The Drive" by a quarterback who really stunk in his first season back in 1983. If I were a Chargers fan, I'd be thinking how I would prefer Lock to Herbert, right about now. And that would hurt.

What Lock did when all the marbles were on the line with little time left on the clock showed me that he may indeed have the "it". Time will tell. But I'm glad I came back
          here to read some of the Posts. It helped remind me of why I spend little to no time here anymore. Haha!

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
            A lot of the time Shurmur’s play design will make it look like the QB is staring down a particular WR when in reality he’s really being asked to read a defender or defenders and make a choice based off what they do.
            Originally posted by Broncos1963 View Post
            I simply don't see what you're describing from the network broadcast.
            It's really hard to see the subtle stuff from a network broadcast. They follow the ball and they lock in on the QB a lot. They also don't show a lot of different angles unless they have a WOW! shot of someone making a play. In the past I have used NFL Game Pass to follow more closely, but I got busy and forgot about it, then didn't want to watch games over again because we were playing like crap. I have been relying on Youtube highlights to augment what I have time to watch but it's still just skimming the surface. I'm going to have to be OK with knowing the garbage can stinks without lifting the lid.
            Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

• We all know Lock is not a polished QB. We all knew there were going to be ups and downs this year.

Chalk this win up to a positive sign. Overcoming adversity to pull out a win in the last second on 4th down. Pretty good stuff.

I saw a guy who was obviously losing confidence and becoming frustrated. Then he reached down and found some resilience. Good team win all around and I liked what I saw in the 4th quarter from Lock.

still a ways to go, but I’m not writing him off just yet.
              sigpic

Comment

• He wasn't getting past his first read even in those 4th quarter TD drives. This tendency will make below avg to avg opposing corner backs look like all pros.

Comment

• Well that 4th quarter was fun! I know one thing, I like winning a lot better than losing

Comment

• Originally posted by drhiii View Post
                    Lock did a little dance on the touchdown with 1 second. Are you KIDDING ME? For someone who is no where near an NFL starting QB, wow.. cocky doesn't cover it. He is now officially in my cannot stand the dude category. And as the game coverage ends, Lock is staying on the field, looking to see who is looking at him. Did I mention cocky? Lock, if you read this, you have a seriously long way to go and with your snarky attitude... no way you gonna stick. No way.
                    To each their own, but I think a QB needs a little bit of swagger to their game. I’d argue that it was a well placed celebration. Too many players celebrate after a single play even though their losing - Lock waited until we came back for the win and he even hesitated to make sure the TD counted. The team fed off of that energy too.

Maybe we should give the 23 year old a break?
                    sigpic
                    ******** Adopt a Bronco 2019 | #70 Ja'wuan James :thumb: ********
                    ***** Adopt a Bronco 2017-18 | #72 Garett Bolles *****

Comment

• Something to consider with Lock’s struggles over most the game, up until Lindsay’s 55 yard run, the team had only 4 total rushing yards. They simply couldn’t run the ball and were on pace for a historically bad game. Any QB will struggle when his team can only run the ball for 4 yards over 3 quarters.

Once Lindsay broke the big run and the Chargers had to account for the running game, suddenly the passing game opened up.
                      Last edited by Broncos-R-Great; 11-02-2020, 06:58 AM.

Comment

• I would like to see what Lock can do when the other team doesn’t lose one of the best defensive players in the league.
                        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                        You Mad Bro?

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                          Something to consider with Lock’s struggles over most the game, up until Lindsay’s 55 yard run, the team had only 4 total rushing yards. They simply couldn’t run the ball and were on pace for a historically bad game. Any QB will struggle when his can only run the ball for 4 yards over 3 quarters.

Once Lindsay broke the big run and the Chargers had to account for the running game, suddenly the passing game opened up.
                          So taking away the running game took all of Denver's offense out of the game?

I think they had only two first downs the entire first half.

A win is great but context matters. I hope the team can build on this with more player accountability and better execution. We have a young team but in the end those are just excuses.

The first three quarters were about as bad of football as we've seen in a while, and that's saying something. Good for them for sticking to it for all four and finding a way to pull it out. The next time they might not be as lucky.
                          Last edited by Rastic; 11-02-2020, 07:22 AM.

Comment

• There has been a lot of times that we have won some ugly games with a lot of different quarterbacks throughout the years. This team needed a win like that.
                            It was great! We have such a young offense, they need some time for on-the-job training. We won the game, that's most important. Hopefully they learn to do it better as things progress.

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                              I would like to see what Lock can do when the other team doesn’t lose one of the best defensive players in the league.
                              Huh......
                              Go Hard or Go Home

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                                I would like to see what Lock can do when the other team doesn’t lose one of the best defensive players in the league.
                                Would you like to see what herbert looks like when the other team doesn't lose one of the best players in the league (von miller)

What a lame excuse.

would you like to see what lock looks like when he doesn't lose one of the best WR in the league?

Would you like to see what lock looks like when he's not starting a 3rd string backup Guard against the likes of Ingram and Bosa? Well you did. We still won.

haters going to find a way to hate no matter what.
                                So far:
                                FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                                1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

Working...
                                X