Drew Lock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post

At that time the only consideration about James was could his health allow him to be there for the team. There are two sides to that. If we did not have a huge contract locked into RT and a 1st round pick at LT I think we do something stronger at the tackle spot. There is no good answer here but I get what the team did in the draft.

If we keep Bolles this offseason I still do not expect we draft a OT in the first 3 rounds of 2021. James will play for us in 2021 due to his contract structure. Maybe in 2022 we can look at a OT in the first 3 rounds.

Bronco players who will be UFAs in 2021 include 3 starters and 3 key backups who have started in 2020. We most likely do not even know all of our needs at this point in time to be able to guess who we will draft.
    You're probably right; Denver may skip OT early due to Bolles/James.

Denver's D is pretty good that it could very well move on from Miller's expensive contract.

Perhaps this upcoming draft Denver selects ILB Dylan Moses in R1 and/or
    Charles Snowden (R3) to pair next to RFA AJ Jonnson and Chubb.

Comment

• Interesting assumption that Bolles will be back next year. Still to be determined IMO.

Still need to see if Elway is willing to pay Bolles, either by franchise tag or a new contract. And will Bolles even be interested in returning if given the choice. The man has had to put up with a lot of hurtful chatter, whether earned or not. Doubt that gets any better if contract negotiations get contentious or the chatter turns to how “ overpaid” he is. He also has shown a lot of oppositional attitude over the years when confronted. I would hope it is water under the bridge and they can find a compromise in contract and role. But who knows with Elway and/ or Bolles. Situation could be simple or get ugly.

The James situation is just troubling. Broncos are stuck with him and his contract. And for all we know the health crisis and opt out decisions could still linger next season too. Just dragging the James contract implications another year. I really don’t have much faith he returns next year with renewed passion and desire to be among the best RTs in the game. Hope he proves me wrong.

IMO the Broncos still need to invest an early 1st/2nd rd pick on OT. They may need one to start if either above scenario goes bad or even as a quality backup to prepare for the inevitable injury ( or poor performance) of the two assumed starters next year.
      Last edited by FR Tim; 11-06-2020, 08:15 AM.

Comment

• Lets get back to talking about Drew Lock. I was a believer in him last year and I was wishing that he could be our Franchise QB then this year started with a lot of subpar performances and of course the Injury again 2nd time in 2 Years however that should be expected anymore and I was very Hard on the Kid as I wanted instant gratification and was not getting it until that AMAZING 4th Quarter Comeback and to be honest that was Just nothing short of a Miracle. I am 100% back on the Drew Lock Train with all Hopes that Drew will continue to shine just like he did last Sunday and Drew will continue to become Great I will no longer talk bad about Drew and Drew just really showed me that he can be that GUY. Way to go Drew Lock Now go get it done again in ATL. In Drew I Trust.

Comment

• Whether the organization is still committed to Lock next year or not, we need to bring in another QB to compete with Drew.

But, we also need to bring in a better OC, along with, hopefully, a new head coach.

Comment

• What if find interesting (disappointing?) about Lock this year is his lack of accuracy.

My memory of him last year was having a much better deep ball. And is missing throws all over the field that he wasn’t last year. That was a huge part and f my off-season excitement for him this season.

Just my bad memory or based in fact?

Comment

• Originally posted by mozzerpete View Post

Perhaps if JaWuan James opted out before the 2020 draft, Bechton could have been a Bronco.

Who do you like this year?

I'd be happy with Little and Mayfield.
              I'm still looking around. I don't want to get a draft crush this early and then have my heart broken when 'my' guys end up going ten slots above our fist pick, blah.
              Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                What if find interesting (disappointing?) about Lock this year is his lack of accuracy.

My memory of him last year was having a much better deep ball. And is missing throws all over the field that he wasn’t last year. That was a huge part and f my off-season excitement for him this season.

Just my bad memory or based in fact?
                No....I think you are good.. I have been thinking the same thing..
                sigpic

Comment

• The disappointing thing with Lock this year is his lack of improvement. Last year despite him being pretty mediocre, nothing at all to write home about, he at least avoided negative plays and showed some maturity. This year he just doesn't look like he knows what he is doing, and he is wildly inaccurate. Odds of having a second-round quarterback succeed were always going to be slim, but he isn't convincing anyone he is the future right now. Why are we always looking for quarterbacks when the class coming out is putrid beyond the top pick, at least we didn't go high on Haskins or Jones.

Comment

• I know many won't agree with this, oh well ... this season is very unique considering the Covid-19 problems. Lock has not had the opportunity to have an off-season with his new OC and QBs coach and there have been significant injury/injuries/problems - Sutton, James and both RBs in/out, Glasgow - Also a rookie starting at C I think has also complicated things. Sum it up, its been a tough year ... forgot to mention Lock getting injured. Maybe I am wrong, I haven't watched much and don't get the games where I live now very often; but when Lock came back from his injury his throwing "motion" looked a little different, maybe not yet confident in his arm (until the 2nd half last week?) ... no? Maybe the injury is having an affect on his accuracy, probably not but it could be just one more thing making things more difficult.
                    IMO, this season is just going to have to be chalked up to a year of development for the offense under the new OC and let the QB go into next season after, hopefully, an off-season to develop properly. There are some young WRs and TEs that could really take-off next year if they just stick it out into next season. There really isn't much alternative anyway.
                    In the last 10+ seasons only about 30% of 1st round QBs live up to that expectation, its not easy to find your long term "franchise QB" no matter what round they're drafted. Herbert is looking pretty good but what is his winning record? I don't think the Broncos had a chance at him anyway. Who is Mariota and Winston starting for this season?

On another note... I always wanted to see how Belichick did without Tom Brady ...

Last edited by brianmcfarlane; 11-08-2020, 07:19 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
                      The disappointing thing with Lock this year is his lack of improvement. Last year despite him being pretty mediocre, nothing at all to write home about, he at least avoided negative plays and showed some maturity. This year he just doesn't look like he knows what he is doing, and he is wildly inaccurate. Odds of having a second-round quarterback succeed were always going to be slim, but he isn't convincing anyone he is the future right now. Why are we always looking for quarterbacks when the class coming out is putrid beyond the top pick, at least we didn't go high on Haskins or Jones.
                      How much could he realistically improve going into a new offense with no offseason and a lot of new faces on the offense? Also he played 5 games so some regression should have been expected. Improvement isn’t always linear and sometimes you have to make mistakes to learn from them.

That 2 minute drill to win the game was a big improvement over his previous 2 minute drills. He took his check downs and they moved the ball down the field with 2 shots from roughly 20 yards out and then 1 shot from the goalline. Probably would’ve had a few more if he spiked it after one of the plays, but that’s been going on for awhile and seems to be a coaching thing to me. The PI play was great, no one was open so he identified the guy with his back to him and threw it at his helmet giving AO a chance to make an incredible catch or draw a flag. It’s a veteran throw that’s he’s now pulled off twice in his young career.

Comment

• Originally posted by sra84 View Post
                        Whether the organization is still committed to Lock next year or not, we need to bring in another QB to compete with Drew.

But, we also need to bring in a better OC, along with, hopefully, a new head coach.
                        You either ride with Lock or get rid of him.

No competition. Either he’s the goods or he isn’t.
                        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                        You Mad Bro?

Comment

Interesting assumption that Bolles will be back next year. Still to be determined IMO.

Still need to see if Elway is willing to pay Bolles, either by franchise tag or a new contract. And will Bolles even be interested in returning if given the choice. The man has had to put up with a lot of hurtful chatter, whether earned or not. Doubt that gets any better if contract negotiations get contentious or the chatter turns to how “ overpaid” he is. He also has shown a lot of oppositional attitude over the years when confronted. I would hope it is water under the bridge and they can find a compromise in contract and role. But who knows with Elway and/ or Bolles. Situation could be simple or get ugly.

The James situation is just troubling. Broncos are stuck with him and his contract. And for all we know the health crisis and opt out decisions could still linger next season too. Just dragging the James contract implications another year. I really don’t have much faith he returns next year with renewed passion and desire to be among the best RTs in the game. Hope he proves me wrong.

IMO the Broncos still need to invest an early 1st/2nd rd pick on OT. They may need one to start if either above scenario goes bad or even as a quality backup to prepare for the inevitable injury ( or poor performance) of the two assumed starters next year.
                          We have multiple free agents. Even if Bolles makes the 1st team All Pro and becomes the best OT in 2020 there is a chance we do not keep him unless we tag him. Keeping him is just one of several options.
                          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post

We have multiple free agents. Even if Bolles makes the 1st team All Pro and becomes the best OT in 2020 there is a chance we do not keep him unless we tag him. Keeping him is just one of several options.
                            Which is why I am frustrated with the continued inability to manage the situation by Elway.

Just for a moment think about your statement. The possibility of Bolles developing into a quality LT and then losing him in free agency. Wouldn’t that just be wonderful. Broncos finally solve one price of the oline puzzle only to lose him and “ fill the hole” by the very same process that has been unsuccessful for several seasons. All while being stuck with the financial and roster obligation to James. A player that hasn’t played in two years and many question his desire to even be on the field.

Absurd situation the Broncos are stuck in.

One thing that is clear is Lock ( like most QBs but especially young ones) is better with protection. When he can step into throws he is promising and accurate. When he is unsettled he makes bad decisions, misses receivers and is another check down master.

Hopefully Lock is building on his late game heroics and not the confused, inaccurate passer we saw the first three quarters last week.

It has been a rough start to the season. Time for a lot of players ( and coaches) to step up. Get this win this morning!

Comment

Which is why I am frustrated with the continued inability to manage the situation by Elway.

Just for a moment think about your statement. The possibility of Bolles developing into a quality LT and then losing him in free agency. Wouldn’t that just be wonderful. Broncos finally solve one price of the oline puzzle only to lose him and “ fill the hole” by the very same process that has been unsuccessful for several seasons. All while being stuck with the financial and roster obligation to James. A player that hasn’t played in two years and many question his desire to even be on the field.

Absurd situation the Broncos are stuck in.

One thing that is clear is Lock ( like most QBs but especially young ones) is better with protection. When he can step into throws he is promising and accurate. When he is unsettled he makes bad decisions, misses receivers and is another check down master.

Hopefully Lock is building on his late game heroics and not the confused, inaccurate passer we saw the first three quarters last week.

It has been a rough start to the season. Time for a lot of players ( and coaches) to step up. Get this win this morning!
                              Even more frustrating is that the FO had the chance to pick up Bolles 5th year option for a fraction of what tagging or re-signing him would cost. The only smart thing Elway has done recently is not offer Simmons a mega contract
                              Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• Drew Lock is our quarterback moving forward for a couple of years.

Comment

Working...
                                X