Drew Lock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WYBRONCO View Post

Okay I will admit, comparing Elway to Lock sort of a moot point because the talent difference is obvious and the expectation factor of a 1 overall as opposed to a 2nd rounder is not the same. I mean I am spoiled. Denver has had 1 year in the last 30 were they had a realistic chance of a 1 overall pick and I don't think Carolina was budging from Cam Newton when we took Von.

Lock doesn't seem to have "IT". I mean you are right. Bad QB's throw better than what Lock has shown. I think Lawrence comes back to College just guessing though.

If the Jets pick first do they take Fields? I mean they snatched up Sam Darnold only 2 years ago. The Jags would likely take a QB. I don't see how the Chargers could finish behind Denver at this point, but I doubt they take a QB. The Panthers, Falcons, Redskins, probably would take a QB if they have a 1st or 2nd pick. Bet we could get Haskins for a 7th rounder right now.

Would you move up to number 1 overall from say 4 or 5? That is optimistic but possible. That is probably costly with draft picks. I am not any capacity saying you are wrong just curious.
    I doubt Trevor goes back. Jets are going load up on offense in the off season. Going back to school can only hurt him especially if he doesn't win the championship.

Qb stock rise and fall all the time. Just last year we had 3 go in top 5. Jags just almost beat gb...they are still playing hard. If they were failing for fields why play so hard. Jags def sucks "secondary" online needs helps. Yes they can use a qb. But if I was in top 10. I would do my best to move up to 2nd pick overall.
    Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

• We are acting like Lock won’t be our starter next year. Considering we most likely won’t get a top 5 pick, I doubt we go QB in the first. We will most likely go Oline. Only chance I don't see Lock as our starter is if a Vet QB gets released or made available. I highly doubt that though. Lock low cap hit is a big factor at this point considering contracts we got to pay coming up in these next few years.

Comment

• Originally posted by RockWarrior84 View Post

Call it excuses but the fact Broncos fans hold such a high bar for any QB is ridiculous. Not even elway met the bar for a couple years. Fans called elway a bust after his rookie season.

Comparing QBs is crazy as hell of course. My point is they would be having their heads on chopping block by the fans. The NFL was way different and throwing 48 times would be insane in the 80s. But the fact the fans won’t give a young QB growing pains is stupid. Everyone has even heard of the sophomore slump as well. Lock has not even had enough game time to have had a rookie year worth of playing time.

He had months working with Sutton. He has an off-season working with Sutton. By far his favorite target going into the season. You call it excuses I call it reality and you don’t want to see moving parts then keep your blinders on. I am not going to say he has not made mistakes or not regressing but all the fall does not land on his shoulders only.

I only compared lock to a couple QBs that had rough rookie years and were not dumped. Some other QBs with rough rookie seasons are Lamar Jackson, sorry not first overall pick so not comparable. Josh Allen did not have a good rookie year or standout sophomore year either. Tribuski is another that did not have a good rookie year. The list can go on and on. Cherry picking non first rounders is harder so throwing out he want a first round pick is a dumb argument. Only reason I am comparing rookie years is because lock has played 12 games compared to their 16 games.
        Yes there is a thing called sophomore slumps. But there is a big difference in that and making pop Warner mistakes. Throwing of the back foot i coached that in little league....never really had to focus on the consistently happening in coaching high school. Throw into triple coverage.

Sophomore slumps. Bottom line is he can see the field. I said that about him coming out of college.

This Sutton thing is super over hyped. Again he had a handfull of games last year. He hasn't had years with him. To say that if Sutton was here then he would be just awesome is hilarious. What happens if lock is back and Sutton tears an acl. It will be the same excuses. He has almost played as many games with these rookie wrs as he has had with Sutton. I don't have on blinders sorry anything but that.

I have always said he needs to finish this year. I was saying this last year on this very thread. You know why bc people got soooooo hyped last year at his what 4-1 record. I knew it was fools gold....I wanted him to start every game this year so most could see what I already knew about him coming outta college. We have Miami this week. Maybe he can turn things around.
        Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post

It's not bc I'm not making excuses for him like most are, playing the position my I have different views.

News flash at this point of the year Most qbs are hurt, injured, not 100% its called football. Some make it seems like lock is the only qb in the leage that get sacked, have okine miss a block or assignment, take nasty hits and roughing the passer. We can watch ever snap in every game and make an excuse for it..

Now you saying "lock MAY not feel good?" Lmao.....
          so now in order for lock to be good.. he needs to be 100% healthy all year and take no sacks, have the entire offense to stay healthy the entire year. Oh ok. I think 32 of 32 qbs in the nfl will have success with that.

A lot of qbs play through injuries, hard hits, etc.....stop the excuses.
          Again, your disdain for Lock is clouding your judgment.
          I recall one of the announcers mention that Lock had to talk his way back onto the field.

No one is disputing the Raiders won.
          The Raiders beat a beatable Broncos team.

Fant's penalty that negated Lock's TD-run was costly for a young QB trying to uplift his inexperienced offense.
          It's perhaps a different ball game being ahead at halftime: 13-10.

Comment

• Originally posted by Murph2432 View Post
            To be honest, the finger should be placed at multiple things. Lock gets the blame, the oline gets the blame, lack of run games gets the blame, and the play calling gets the blame. I don’t know if Lock is hurt or not but you can tell he just isn’t comfortable back there even when the oline gives him time. Multiple times yesterday I saw him roll out of the pocket that was clean. He has plenty of time but I think he’s got a clock in his head thinking my oline can’t protect for that long. The play calling bothers me so much. The best way to help a young QB and a bad only is getting the ball out quick. We got one of the better route runners in football, a good young TE in Fant, and a speedy slot receiver in Hamler...use them for this. The second part of the game plan I cannot stand is we run the ball on first and we lose yards on the first drives. We always do it and we always lose yards. I feel like that sets the rest of the game. If we can get Trevor or Fields we better pull the trigger but if not, we better go Oline. Riser, Glasglow, and Cushenberry will be our guys for the near future and will play better for sure once we figure the tackle spots out.
            I agreeeeeee 1000000%

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
              Yesterday was rough, he won’t be the starter next year if he doesn’t step it up. Yes he needs time but yesterday was rock bottom. He’s definitely looking skittish in the pocket even when there isn’t actual pressure and he no longer has any idea of what he’s looking at because he isn’t accounting for defenders reacting. Just because they’re in cover 3, doesn’t mean that flat defender will stay in that flat, especially if there’s no one there for him to cover or you never look to the flat route to hold him there.

I don’t agree that he shouldn’t get time because he was a 2nd round pick and not a first round guy. If you drafted him with the intention of him being a franchise guy then he should get the time you’re willing to give that franchise QB. I don’t think we draft a QB in the 1st next year but we have to bring in strong vet competition. He’s trying too hard to go out and just play like Mahomes does, the team isn’t good enough to make up for him not knowing or trusting what he sees. I do wonder what the coaches are telling him when they do film study throughout the week. He’s not picking up on defensive tendencies and there definitely doesn’t seem to be any film study on himself happening. It seems like they’ve dumped the whole playbook on him and want him to execute everything instead of spoon feeding him things he’s comfortable doing and putting him in situations where he can succeed. It’s clear that he isn’t capable of sitting back and reading a defense during the play as it progresses yet we see very little rhythm passes, for the most part it’s a bunch of long developing concepts. He needs more 3 step drops where he throws at the top of his drop, take the mental aspect away from him and scheme guys open, that’s what Scangerello was doing with him when he had success. And lean on the run game, we should have a minimum of 30 rushes a game.

If we keep up with these long developing passing concepts he will never get better.
              I'm not saying just bc you are a second rd pick that a team wouldn't give you time. But it should not be expected. If they can give up on a 11th overall pick why not a second. Is easier to move on from a 2nd rd than that it is a top 7 qb. But the qb has to show some kinda promise is what I mean.

I dont see why we wouldn't go qb if we are in reach of one. Especially if lock continues to play like yesterday.

Comment

• This thread will be merged or deleted in all likelihood. But I will just chime in to say I wish Drew was as consistent as Cutler was.
                sigpic

Comment

We are acting like Lock won’t be our starter next year. Considering we most likely won’t get a top 5 pick, I doubt we go QB in the first. We will most likely go Oline. Only chance I don't see Lock as our starter is if a Vet QB gets released or made available. I highly doubt that though. Lock low cap hit is a big factor at this point considering contracts we got to pay coming up in these next few years.
                  Look, I'm not completely off the Lock train. I still think there's an opportunity to turn this around for Lock, although it's not heading in a good direction.

But if Lock continues down this path there's no way he's the default starter next season. I don't care who is or isn't available in the off season or in the draft. They will find someone to compete with Lock.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Jay Cutler may be the best QB that the Broncos have drafted.
                    Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

• Originally posted by listopencil View Post
                      Jay Cutler may be the best QB that the Broncos have drafted.
                      Based on which metric that is important for team success?

Jay has had a tremendous talent for getting people fired and his time in Denver saw a disingeration of the Broncos team spirit. Jake's worst year when Jay took over we won 62% with Jake and 40% with Cutler. In no way did he match the "success" that Griese and Tebow had.

Jay was more accurate and more arrogant than Lock who seems to have half his Int's being that he sees the right thing but does not have the accuracy, whereas Jay just assumed that off cause he could make that throw to Brandon Marshall in tripple coverage, and yes it only went wrong one time per game on average.

Comment

• I have said before - both are very similar. I would still give the nod to Culter for a better quarterback.

Both have strong arms - I don't really care who's is stronger (I'd still probably give it to Cutler). Both also weren't that accurate, but just form seeing Lock in his young career - I'd still take Cutler over him in that department. Lock seems to make the easy throws difficult for his receivers. He also does a poor job of setting them up to get crushed.

Cutler was cocky (in a way as is Lock). But we all knew Cutler didn't care about being taught or being coached. He would try and shim that ball into the tightest places where an alternative/safer receiver would have bee the better option.

Lock seems like he's less cocky - but he has the swaggggg. Hopefully he'll be able to take the coaching/teachings and improve his awful footwork, reads, decision making, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post

I'm not saying just bc you are a second rd pick that a team wouldn't give you time. But it should not be expected. If they can give up on a 11th overall pick why not a second. Is easier to move on from a 2nd rd than that it is a top 7 qb. But the qb has to show some kinda promise is what I mean.

I dont see why we wouldn't go qb if we are in reach of one. Especially if lock continues to play like yesterday.
                          If you don’t look at it with jaded glasses. There is def more negative after raiders game then positive. But look at the first game he was way over throwing deep passes which is hitting on now. He has gone away from touch on his passes and fire cannon most of time. He is also going off back foot a lot. He was getting smashed by the raiders too many big hits makes all QBs skittish. One of my problem is the play calling in the first half because in the 4th quarter we have made some come backs lately. He has been good in the 4th quarter compared the first half. I want to know where Fant went as well. How come red zone offense is horrendous?

Comment

We are acting like Lock won’t be our starter next year. Considering we most likely won’t get a top 5 pick, I doubt we go QB in the first. We will most likely go Oline. Only chance I don't see Lock as our starter is if a Vet QB gets released or made available. I highly doubt that though. Lock low cap hit is a big factor at this point considering contracts we got to pay coming up in these next few years.
                            However he could using a benching for the rest of the game when he plays like he did against the raiders. Stop the bleeding. I still wonder why elway wouldn’t be get a vet backup . Seems most teams have vet backs up for young QBs.

Comment

If teams get rid of high cap players im confused as to why they won't get rid of love cap players. Just because he was a second round pick doesn't ensure he is the starter next year. If he keep throw hat tricks in ints the rest of the year I absolutely won't be the starter next year. If he is will just will be in the market for a qb next year. So no matter how you slice rather this year or next year we will have another qb bc lock is not it.

Comment

• Originally posted by VancePants View Post
                                The man seems to have same kind of throwing mechanics, throws into coverage, throws interceptions, chip off the old block.
                                Be prepared for the lock cult to go in on you.

Comment

Working...
                                X