No announcement yet.

Drew Lock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tuff kid bad ribs I know he threw an int.he played a little better missed a couple passes late.keep fighting kid.
    I miss real Bronco football

Comment

• Best start of season for Drew. This is what we need to see next 6 games... go 3-3 and finish season on a 4-3 run, with a record of 7-9 would keep DL in the mix.

I imagine they still look for competition, but how desperate they are will depend on what we see the next 6 weeks.

Comment

• I, like many - after watching Drew start 0/6 with an INT was thinking "here we go again...."

Props for Drew for sticking with it and gutting it out. His numbers were okay (I know that last 60 hail mary helped bring his stats up), but this is a game where numbers didn't really reflect how he played.

The running game was much better which took some pressure off of him. I thought Demar Dotson at RT (as serviceable as he is), made that side of the line THAT much better....

I thought he read the field much better. I also saw him change a few things up at the LOS. Hopefully he can continue to build on this and progress. That's all we want to see....

Comment

• Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
          I can't really comment too much on Locks performance this game since I didn't get to watch it outside of a few highlights. It is yet another game with a terrible interception. At what point does he learn to just throw it away or check down? He lucked out this game and that mistake didn't cost the team the win.....this game.

If he wants to remain the starting QB here he HAS to stop giving the ball away. Talent, floor, ceiling....none of that matters if he continues to play this way. Elway is going to be forced to look another direction and the schedule is not going to be easy the rest of the way. I hope he can pull it out and prove something but he hasn't done it against lesser opponents.....I have my doubts
          In Lock's defense, Miami's defense really had Denver confused the first couple of drives. They had 8 men at the line of scrimmage just moving around non-stop before the snap. Denver didn't know who was blitzing or dropping in coverage. They made the mistake and learned from it.
          Go Hard or Go Home

Comment

• He is learning, and
            ​​​​​he is a potentially a good quarterback.
            It takes time to develop young quarterbacks for the most part.
            (Where is E2DS with his love and support for our young QB.)

In my best Bronco fan voice, "That's OUR quarterback".

Comment

• Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
              Best start of season for Drew. This is what we need to see next 6 games... go 3-3 and finish season on a 4-3 run, with a record of 7-9 would keep DL in the mix.

I imagine they still look for competition, but how desperate they are will depend on what we see the next 6 weeks.
              As much as I'm down on Lock right now, I don't like or agree with "QB competition". It does absolutely zero for the team and still keeps you at 7-9 or worse, as the offense never develops because of the back and forth splits. Just replace him if that's where the FO is. It's better on the team in the long run. Whether it's Rogers, Stafford, Ryan, or a rookie. If you make that change, just rip the band-aid off and go with it. If you go the Rookie route, then they have to completely move on. If they go the vet route, then keep him as a backup and let him learn and develop behind the scenes. We have him for at least 2 more years on an extremely inexpensive salary.
              #swapping

Comment

• Yesterday was the most I had seen him step up into the pocket. Made things easier to run and throw when you're not 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage.
                I adopt Peanut, mod of the stars
                I adopt Brakshow, you mess with him, you answer to me
                I adopt PAINTERDAVE, my conservative elephant
                "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." -James 1
                God Bless Our Troops!!!!!
                Adopted by the Greats: Peanut12and4, Freyaka, McSmashie Thanks Guys

Comment

• I personally think this game was an example of both Lock and Shurmur figuring something things out. Lock played better and stepped up into the pocket more, but Shurmur also called a shorter game that helped the offense as a whole. That game needs to be more of a blueprint for this offense.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RocketArm006 View Post
                    I personally think this game was an example of both Lock and Shurmur figuring something things out. Lock played better and stepped up into the pocket more, but Shurmur also called a shorter game that helped the offense as a whole. That game needs to be more of a blueprint for this offense.
                    The problem is, how long will it take Shurmur to adjust when it stops working? Lock had a lot of success running dig concepts in the comeback win against the Chargers and that became the majority of our passing attack until Lock’s INT yesterday and finally we stopped running them.

The boot action was good because the running game was good and we mixed in Vannett as a receiver. When the run game bogs down that boot action won’t be as effective. Probably won’t be as effective in general considering just how often we ran it so that’s something Shurmur needs to account for. He seems stagnant to a fault and hardheaded when those plays stop working. The offense needs to evolve and keep defenses guessing.

Id love to see more RPOs mixed in. Patrick had a huge gain off of it the one time we ran one. Read options have generally been successful as well as teams forget how sneaky athletic Lock is. It should almost be a staple play in short yardage situations for us, even if they take Lock it takes one extra defender out of the play for Lindsay and Gordon. I’d like to see more creativity in general, get Hamler in the backfield with Gordon or Lindsay, put Gordon and Lindsay out there and go back to that arrow route they hit in week 1. I will say the run game was more creative yesterday, we saw Bolles pull to the outside of the opposite TE, Risner pulled, Cushenberry pulled, there were plays where 2 of those guys pulled and that’s great for a RB like Lindsay who is so good at manipulating defenders into getting blocked.

And for as good as those guys are pulling, for the life I can’t understand how they can’t get out and set up for a screen pass. An effective screen game would be huge for Lock and the oline to help slow down the pass rush.

Comment

• Did anyone think we were almost over using the play action boot a little TOO much yesterday? Sure it can totally fake a defense out. But for a while there, I thought we were using it WAY too much - and in one instance Lock got blown up since it wasn't sold at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peerless View Post
                        Did anyone think we were almost over using the play action boot a little TOO much yesterday? Sure it can totally fake a defense out. But for a while there, I thought we were using it WAY too much - and in one instance Lock got blown up since it wasn't sold at all.
                        Perhaps. In the Dolphins previous 5 game win streak they have blitzed a lot. Rolling out the QB can counter inside blitzes, stunts, and delayed blitzes by taking the QB out of traffic in the middle. It can also open up part of the field by drawing out a defender in pursuit of the QB. Seeing Risner and Bolles pulling and blocking so well yesterday is also an advantage. But, as you pointed out, used too much (like anything) it becomes a vulnerability, especially if your RT or TE on the right are constantly getting beat. I think another disadvantage is that (I think) boot generally attacks one side of the field. Maybe that helps Lock by limiting his reads but wouldn't it also let the defense cheat if you ball it too much? I think so, but then with Lock, he is able to play most of the field with his arm strength...

Miami recorded 0 sacks yesterday, their first game of the season with no sacks. Kind of shows how well the OL played, how Lock executed in and out of the pocket, and Shurmur called the offense.

Still, I think overall I think it was a real good game plan against a team that has averaged over 31 points in their five previous wins where their opponents averaged over 17 points.
                        Last edited by Rastic; 11-23-2020, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

The problem is, how long will it take Shurmur to adjust when it stops working?
                          Keep in mind, Lock is still a newbie QB, there isn't a lot of flexibility.
                          I believe.

Comment

The problem is, how long will it take Shurmur to adjust when it stops working? Lock had a lot of success running dig concepts in the comeback win against the Chargers and that became the majority of our passing attack until Lock’s INT yesterday and finally we stopped running them.

The boot action was good because the running game was good and we mixed in Vannett as a receiver. When the run game bogs down that boot action won’t be as effective. Probably won’t be as effective in general considering just how often we ran it so that’s something Shurmur needs to account for. He seems stagnant to a fault and hardheaded when those plays stop working. The offense needs to evolve and keep defenses guessing.

Id love to see more RPOs mixed in. Patrick had a huge gain off of it the one time we ran one. Read options have generally been successful as well as teams forget how sneaky athletic Lock is. It should almost be a staple play in short yardage situations for us, even if they take Lock it takes one extra defender out of the play for Lindsay and Gordon. I’d like to see more creativity in general, get Hamler in the backfield with Gordon or Lindsay, put Gordon and Lindsay out there and go back to that arrow route they hit in week 1. I will say the run game was more creative yesterday, we saw Bolles pull to the outside of the opposite TE, Risner pulled, Cushenberry pulled, there were plays where 2 of those guys pulled and that’s great for a RB like Lindsay who is so good at manipulating defenders into getting blocked.

And for as good as those guys are pulling, for the life I can’t understand how they can’t get out and set up for a screen pass. An effective screen game would be huge for Lock and the oline to help slow down the pass rush.
                            Those are all super valid points. I’ve been pretty frustrated with Shurmur’s offense until yesterday. For me, it’s not only the route concepts, but personnel as well. He gets in this habit of going to 11 personnel with vertical pass concepts even when it’s not working at all. Yesterday he finally started going with tighter formations, more TEs, pulling o-linemen, etc.

Of course that won’t work all the time, but it sure seemed like the offense as a whole responded well to that game plan. I personally think that game plan yesterday should be their bread and butter.

I agree he gets stubborn to a fault and doesn’t seem to adjust during the game. Hopefully both he and Lock saw some potential and can start running more short game and less long developing passing plays. We shall see.
                            sigpic

Comment

Pullers are to outnumber the D at POA and are run steps all the way either to actually run or set up PAP or even influence a misdirection. Screen is off of pass protection steps.
                              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by XterraRob View Post

Keep in mind, Lock is still a newbie QB, there isn't a lot of flexibility.
                                That excuse doesn't really apply to modern NFL. You have to be a hit quick or teams move past you. That's why teams quit on Rosen without really giving him a chance. The Jets are likely gonna shop Darnold bc he hasn't gotten them where they wanna be, and though it's not his fault, QB's take the blame. In modern NFL, you gotta be the man from day one and stay the man.
                                sigpic
                                Adopted Broncos:
                                EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Working...
                                X