Drew Lock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by listopencil View Post

I like to think that it is actually his potential that is holding him back. He sees plays that he think he can make but he hasn't fully changed his mindset from college to the pros, like he isn't doing the fundamental stuff because he didn't have to before. If he can get it through his head and if he can play with the discipline that the situation requires then I still think he can be something special. We'll see.
    Positive notion, but he is just learning at a slow pace. Siemian learned in the first couple of games that defenses are faster, jump higher and are more alert than in college, and stopped making the soft passes that he mostly had in his first game, because he learned that the defenders also liked soft passes with touch.. Tebow played with more caution and threw a lot of balls away. In the Steelers game, the pass on the first score to E. Royal was a carbon copy of a failed pass in the week 17 game where he had failed to move the safety and then did it in the WC game.

As Peyton was roumored to say to Eric Decker - you can make that mistake ONCE, and the issue with Lock is he keeps making the same type of throws into traffic in the middle of the field. Cutler had the arm to make it a 75/25 chance and it was still dumb and Lock is more like 67/33.

Comment

• So looking around the league I am seeing who I would bank on Lock being the better qb head to head against.

This is Locks stats through 8 games.
      8 games 1767yds 55%comp 7tds to 11ints qb rating is 67.5

I mean what gives??? All qbs went through this off-season with no otas and what not. Lock also played 5 games in his rookie year. 5 more than Mahomes had heck Mahomes had just one start came in year two and lit it up. He did have otas that year though.

Herbert is a fresh rookie he had no otas and he has had a few less games than Lock but has outperformed him in everyway possible. Yeah Lock beat him head to head but thats more on the chargers not having a great team around him. Carr had all last year with Gruden so I guess its unfair to compare the two but all Qbs went through changes and covid stuff. No excuse for Lock to have looked this bad this year.

Having said that Let's start in our own division shall we and compare Lock to the main competition.

Mahomes 10 games 3035yds 67%comp 27tds to 2ints qb rating 114.3 we all know Lock is nowhere in the atmosphere when it comes to Mahomes but thats the standard in the division.

Derek Carr 10 games 2431yds 69.7% 19tds to 3ints qbrating of 108.7

Say what you guys want Carr showed me something just nearly missed out on sweeping the chiefs dude got up to play that game but clearly in my opinion the 2nd best qb in our division and better than Lock. I think Lock ceiling could maybe get to Carr level but then again Lock throws way too many ints and isn't known for his pocket passing. Lock is still skittish in the pocket and he often times roll out way to much instead of going through the progressions and staying tall in the pocket and delivering a good throw. Its not the talent I think we have great talent tes and receivers.

Justin Herbert 9 games 2699yds 68% completion 22tds to 6ints qb rating 104.7

This dude is hot on Carr's tail for being the qb2 in this division. It isn't his fault the chargers are losing but he is the qb. Everyone keeps saying give lock a season well Lock has 13 games under his belt.. 13 and his stat line is nowhere near as good as Hebert is right now. So as it stands we have the worst Qb in the division. Hey Carr and Mahomes are vets Herbert is only going to get better. Lock had already dropped off from his 4-1 start and that wasn't as great as people make it out to be. He showed flashes but was mediocre in the stat sheet except for Houston. This year has been regression.

These are the qbs he's going up against twice a year. Right now I dont know if all of you are seeing what I'm seeing but when it comes to Lock the team is still winning games in spite of him. We aren't winning on the arm of Drew Lock. He beat LAC but thats one game. He managed the game against Miami but it was the defense who shut down Miami all day Lock made some throws here and there but his stat line was still mediocre the last second bomb helped his stat line but he really just threw for 209 yds that was it still no tds.

I mean just look at it Lock only has 7 tds the rest of our division is already in the 20s also Lock has as many ints than all three of the rival qbs combined.

Worst comp% and fewest yds passing we have the worst qb in the division. The team around him is not bad at all so I don't necessarily think Fangio should be gone he can scheme a great defense but until we get the real problem out the way aka the qb we will be in for an uphill fight year in and year out. We can't win if we have to depend on all the phases to play well. Lock has to put the team on his back and play much better than this. Nothing is given at this level so if we can upgrade you upgrade. Our division is tough its going to be really hard. We got some talented qbs and teams well chargers still figuring themselves out but they got a qb so thats a heck of a start.

Game managers don't work against great qbs ask Alex Smith and I'm not sure Lock can manage games well. So this is just our division so far but Lock is dead last and it's not close. I'm going division by division I want to see who Lock can outperform I have 2 off the top of my head but I need to research it. More to come stay tuned.
      :go:

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncoyearound View Post
        So looking around the league I am seeing who I would bank on Lock being the better qb head to head against.

I mean what gives??? All qbs went through this off-season with no otas and what not. Lock also played 5 games in his rookie year. 5 more than Mahomes had heck Mahomes had just one start came in year two and lit it up. He did have otas that year though.

Herbert is a fresh rookie he had no otas and he has had a few less games than Lock but has outperformed him in everyway possible. Yeah Lock beat him head to head but thats more on the chargers not having a great team around him. Carr had all last year with Gruden so I guess its unfair to compare the two but all Qbs went through changes and covid stuff. No excuse for Lock to have looked this bad this year.

Having said that Let's start in our own division shall we and compare Lock to the main competition.

Mahomes 10 games 3035yds 67%comp 27tds to 2ints qb rating 114.3 we all know Lock is nowhere in the atmosphere when it comes to Mahomes but thats the standard in the division.

Say what you guys want Carr showed me something just nearly missed out on sweeping the chiefs dude got up to play that game but clearly in my opinion the 2nd best qb in our division and better than Lock. I think Lock ceiling could maybe get to Carr level but then again Lock throws way too many ints and isn't known for his pocket passing. Lock is still skittish in the pocket and he often times roll out way to much instead of going through the progressions and staying tall in the pocket and delivering a good throw. Its not the talent I think we have great talent tes and receivers.

This dude is hot on Carr's tail for being the qb2 in this division. It isn't his fault the chargers are losing but he is the qb. Everyone keeps saying give lock a season well Lock has 13 games under his belt.. 13 and his stat line is nowhere near as good as Hebert is right now. So as it stands we have the worst Qb in the division. Hey Carr and Mahomes are vets Herbert is only going to get better. Lock had already dropped off from his 4-1 start and that wasn't as great as people make it out to be. He showed flashes but was mediocre in the stat sheet except for Houston. This year has been regression.

These are the qbs he's going up against twice a year. Right now I dont know if all of you are seeing what I'm seeing but when it comes to Lock the team is still winning games in spite of him. We aren't winning on the arm of Drew Lock. He beat LAC but thats one game. He managed the game against Miami but it was the defense who shut down Miami all day Lock made some throws here and there but his stat line was still mediocre the last second bomb helped his stat line but he really just threw for 209 yds that was it still no tds.

I mean just look at it Lock only has 7 tds the rest of our division is already in the 20s also Lock has as many ints than all three of the rival qbs combined.

Worst comp% and fewest yds passing we have the worst qb in the division. The team around him is not bad at all so I don't necessarily think Fangio should be gone he can scheme a great defense but until we get the real problem out the way aka the qb we will be in for an uphill fight year in and year out. We can't win if we have to depend on all the phases to play well. Lock has to put the team on his back and play much better than this. Nothing is given at this level so if we can upgrade you upgrade. Our division is tough its going to be really hard. We got some talented qbs and teams well chargers still figuring themselves out but they got a qb so thats a heck of a start.

Game managers don't work against great qbs ask Alex Smith and I'm not sure Lock can manage games well. So this is just our division so far but Lock is dead last and it's not close. I'm going division by division I want to see who Lock can outperform I have 2 off the top of my head but I need to research it. More to come stay tuned.
        In the simplest terms look at who is playing around each of them. Carr is playing at an insane level with what talent surrounds him. Outside of Waller he is legit throwing to a bunch of bums. Outside of that Herbert has the luxury of Mike Williams and Keenan Allen. We all know what Mahomes has. That being said Lock got a QT in a new offense with his best WR and we are judging him like he should be an all pro with a bunch of rookies and a makeshift o line.

With all that being said I’ve seen from a few places that have Drew Lock actually playing at a higher level than Justin Herbert. Herbert has some pretty numbers but is still very raw and inconsistent. Drew beat Justin as well and looked pretty solid against the dolphins, a team that ate herberts lunch. Only time will tell if he is able to do it drive in and drive out, it’s what makes Mahomes so special.

Give lock some time, the last two games he has cleaned up his movement in the pocket which wasn’t happening, let’s see if he keeps pushing forward

Also people need to remember where these players were drafted. Herbert and Mahomes were both top 12 picks. There were reasons why Drew Lock was mid 2nd round and not a top 10 guy. Our hope is that Drew can show growth over the next Six games. Take a deep breath and we can discuss at the end of six games If Lock is the guy in 2021 or not. Until than it’s all hot air and chest beating putting down the Broncos young starting QB.
        Last edited by Rmac_15; 11-25-2020, 11:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncoyearound View Post
          So looking around the league I am seeing who I would bank on Lock being the better qb head to head against.

also i could still see Herbert droping back to earth, even though my theory on it getting tougher on him as teams get his film and get more solid game plans around what he does good and does bad.
          sigpic
          oakland raders gm
          latavis murray trade bait

Comment

• Figure ill tackle the AFC North today and stack Lock up against the qbs in that division

Again I'll post Locks stats through 8 games and we shall compare.

Drew Lock

I should look and see whats the average dropback/sack ratio is for each qb. If thats something you guys would like me to include as another telling stat line I can look that up since im still very early in this.

Okay again my critique is I think Lock should be well ahead of where he is given his time spent in the league and having a full season. Yes he was hurt but film study and taking notes could be a huge help in his development. I do understand though that nothing beats on field experience. Okay lets dive into the afc north qbs.

I'll start with Lamar Jackson

Ten games 1948yds with a 63.4% completion 15 tds vs 6 ints 93.4 qbrating.

So Lock with 2 less games is very close to the yardage total. Interesting. I do know that teams are figuring Lamar out which points to his numbers being down. Now he is tricky just because running is a huge part of his game. I think Lock is a better pure passer than Lamar all day long its just the explosiveness that I feel would give Lamar the edge. He still has double the amount of Tds and fewer ints so I think Lamar is reading the field better but he also has more games played than Lock. Id have to look up his rushing stats but im Sure Lamar has some rushing tds in there as well as some yards.

All in all I think Lock is or could be the better pure passer of the two. Lamar might be a gimmick he has to improve his games and adjust and this year I dont think he's doing that good of a job adjusting to what defenses are throwing at him. I could be wrong. I say that to say this. Defensive coaches are going to adjust to take away what you do well.

Each week Lock is going to put out more film and he will have to keep improving so far he loves to roll out. If I was a defense I'd try and contain and make lock beat me from the pocket. He has to step up he won't be rolling on me too much I want to see him beat me from the pocket if I was a defensive coach. Has Lock been good at adjusting??? I'd say sort of but where is that signature top quality win against a really good team? I need to see him dominate the bills or show up against the chiefs. Beat a high quality team.

I'm not saying he can't do it I think he has raw talent but its just that...raw and his habits show up each week. Throwing off the back foot trying to force the ball down the field when you don't need to. Needlessly rolling out of good pocket protection. I think Lock should play within the system and more so within himself. Pat called a good game against the dolphins and Lock needs to let the game come to him instead of pressing.

If I had to match qbs though Lamar would be given a slight edge just because of the burst and explosiveness to take it to the house. If it was a straight passing contest though I'd give a slight edge to Lock.

Big Ben

10 games played, 2534yds 67.1%comp 24td 5ints 101.4qb rating.

Okay keeping up with the dinosaur of qbs we take a look at Ben who has played forever and a day Ben is still an accurate passer. He stands tall in the pocket and when he was a young qb heck he wasn't terrible he won a sb. Granted he had a heck of a run game and defense but he manged the game well.

Today he can still go out and win games. He's won all of his contests thus far. Lock is similar in statue to Ben I would say. Both can scramble and throw on the run but what sets them apart is Ben can read defenses pre and post snaps. It's the progressions that Ben goes through that would be the difference. This is an area Lock could really stand to improve upon. Too often he's dead set on where he wants to go with the ball. If it ain't there he gets skittish and rolls out, sometimes directly into the pass rush and other times he is forced to throw it away or he gets sacked. He can improvise but he needs to stand tall go through all the reads and deliver an accurate pass. This takes time, but I don't know how long of a leash we should give him on that because qbs have played less than Lock in this league and is going through progressions and balling out.

Anyways Ben would have the edge but he's a veteran and an old one at that. Lock to me has a solid run game to keep defenses honest so I'd really like to see him use that play action but take what the defense gives him. No need to make heroic plays all the time. I thought he showed that in Miami. It lead to good things for him. So far Lock's ints are glaring as im comparing qb to qb. I don't know if he has the highest ints in the league or not but that is seriously alarming so far. Moving on.

Baker Mayfield.
            10 games 1850yds 60.8%comp 15tds 7ints 89.7qb rating

Nothing to special stands out on Mayfield. They do have a winning record but I feel Mayfield benefits from that strong run game and the defense in Cleveland is pretty darn good. Baker isn't carrying that team though. He had one signature game and that was against the Bengals he threw for 5tds in that contest but he's mainly good for a td or two tds a game but he isn't throwing for tons of yds. I n six of his games he hasn't thrown for over 200 yds. The key is though for whatever reason when he's in the red zone he's made the most of his opportunities he puts the ball in the endzone but I would say Mayfield isn't lighting the field on fire or anything. So how does that compare with Lock? Mayfield threw for 132yds recently against Houston. They won 10-7 no ints no tds so I guess Mayfield managed the game. In Myfields worst outing a 119 effort against pit they lost.

Lock has only had two games so far this season where he didn't put up at least 200yds. One was pit but he was injured and the other NE. Lock has thrown the ball better than Mayfield and put up better numbers. Mayfield has been safer with the ball and put up more tds but I wouldn't necessarily put Mayfield over Lock. Mayfield is in his 3rd year and still putting up mediocre numbers. Take away the 5td performance against the Bengals he'd have just 10 tds on the season. I would take Lock over Mayfield all day. If Lock can ever slow down on the ints and get some td drives going Mayfield would not compare Lock is at 1767 and he only played 8 games. Lock looks bad from a TD/ints standpoint but he can move the ball through the air. Just the mechanics and accuracy isn't all there but he's better than Baker to me.

Joe Burrow can't wait to get into this one interested to see how they stack up.

10 games 2688yds 65.3%comp 13tds 5intd 89.8

Not bad for a rookie but it also doesn't look as great for Lock.

Burrow has 13 tds so far in 10 games. Lock has 14 for his career coupled with 14ints. Burrow has out up multiple 300 yds games this year and even out up a 400 yd game abeit it was against Cleveland they lost both contests though. Burrow has in 10 games only 99 yds fewer than Lock has for his career. He plays in a pretty tough division bal and pit are always tough. Burrow like most rookies was up and down but you have no doubt that he showed you in 10 games that he's going to be a good starter in the league. We want to see that from Lock.

So honest question, has Lock shown he's going to be a good starter in the league or is the jury still out on him? Is his ceiling going to be more of a Baker Mayfield where in year three he's just barely doing enough but the team has to win in spite of his performances? Burrow has 3 games with no tds thrown. But he also has a few 3 td games under his belt. Lock has 4 games where he hasn't thrown a td, really 5 but I scratch pit its not a fair rating on Lock. He was hurt early.

My biggest thing is the upside. Lock has the weapons around him already. Burrows weapons aren't nearly as good but a great Qb elevates the team and no its not showing on the scoreboard for Cincy but it will soon depending on how they build the talent around Burrow. I think he will be a solid qb.

Now Lock is without his biggest weapon in Sutton but we have weapons all over. I love the offense and the potential I'm just not sure about Locks potential to get the most out of the offense. Oh well thats the AFC North comparison. I have Lock over Mayfield but the rest of the Qbs get the edge. So with Mayfield added that would make 3 qbs who I have Lock favored over. Mayfield was not one of them before I looked into him. More to come soon. Takes me a while to do this but its been interesting and fun so far and im trying to be as unbiased as I can here. Feel free to chime in or disagree or agree on some things or add to the discussion.

Again I have not added dropback to sack ratio but if you guys want me to include the average number of dropbacks each qb has to the times they are sacked I'll include it. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

:go:

Comment

• Let's hope any of them can play tomorrow

QBs were in contact with QB Jeff Driskel, who tested positive Thursday. Team is currently working through issue with league. Broncos play Saints on Sunday.
              https://www.9news.com/mobile/article...6-780f51df0c41

Comment

• With all these reports of confirmed cases, I can see the NFL going the NBA route and having a bubble the remainder of the season. I know they've already approved the possibly ending the season early and doing a 16 teams playoff.
                sigpic
                Adopted Broncos:
                EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• Well looks like no lock or any qb for that matter...how the hell they gonna play like that
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA View Post
                    Well looks like no lock or any qb for that matter...how the hell they gonna play like that
                    This is bad lol. Literally going to have to sign two guys off the street.

The only free agent I can think of right now is Kaep >.<

Josh Rosen? Wheres Chad Kelly at?? Jim Kelly?

Lace up Elway...

Comment

• NFL protocols require 24 hour quarantine, so it won't help to sign anyone.
                      sigpic

Adopted Posters:
                      Broncbeat - 80stheman - kmcgough25 - InsaneBlaze 23
                      Adopted By:
                      Broncoholic JS & 80stheman
                      Broncbeat

Comment

• Originally posted by Thors Hammer View Post
                        NFL protocols require 24 hour quarantine, so it won't help to sign anyone.
                        welp I guess we're playing a lot of wildcat.

Comment

• Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post

welp I guess we're playing a lot of wildcat.
                          This is going to look like a bad high school game
                          sigpic

Adopted Posters:
                          Broncbeat - 80stheman - kmcgough25 - InsaneBlaze 23
                          Adopted By:
                          Broncoholic JS & 80stheman
                          Broncbeat

Comment

• I’m cool with them playing without a quarterback.
                            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                            You Mad Bro?

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                              I’m cool with them playing without a quarterback.
                              I am too...we was gonna lose anyway....I have lock throw 3 ints in this can one probably a pick 6.

"I'm E2DS and I approve this message 👌"
                              Until we get a TRUE qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message!

Comment

• I hope with the extra time off, Lock is prepared for the Champs this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X