Drew Lock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post

Oh, wow! What a great idea! Trade everybody! Trade a bunch of guys who are proven players in order to get #1 in the draft to pick a quarterback who will win the Super Bowl like JaMarcus Russell (#1 in 2007), Matt Ryan (#3 in 2008), Matthew Stafford (#1 in 2009), Sam Bradford (#1 in 2010), Cam Newton (#1 in 2011), Andrew Luck (#1 in 2012), Robert Griffin III (#2 in 2012), Blake Bortles (#3 in 2014), Jameis Winston (#1 in 2015), Marcus Mariota (#2 in 2015), Jared Goff (#1 in 2016), Carson Wentz (#2 in 2016), Mitchell Trubisky (#2 in 2017), Baker Mayfield (#1 in 2018), Sam Darnold (#3 in 2018), Kyler Murray (#1 in 2019), Joe Burrow (#1 in 2020)

Oh, wait! None of these guys has won a Super Bowl ... yet.

When was the last time a team quarterbacked by a guy who was drafted #1, #2 or #3 won a Super Bowl?

Trading "anything and everything" for a #1 pick to get a QB reminds me of Heckle and Jeckle or Jeremy in The Secret of NIMH.
    Sam I respect your football IQ but lasting dominance in this league requires a top 5 QB. Brady, Manning, Big Ben, And Brees have always put their teams in championship position. I realize that only 1 was a first pick. Talent around them has come and gone, but they normally put their teams in a position to win. I realize that no one is a sure thing, but what we have done to this point is pathetic. Whats the difference between selling the farm and being mediocre or being in qb purgatory with a descent defense?

I'd rather build around the best chance in the draft as opposed to hoping we'll hit on a marginal qb. Our team does not have a track record of developing qb talent. Of your list of qbs who were 1st picks most, if not all are better than the playcallers we have been running out there for 5 years.

Your argument also is weak because my logic is the reason why this franchise even has two championships
    I adopt Peanut, mod of the stars
    I adopt Brakshow, you mess with him, you answer to me
    I adopt PAINTERDAVE, my conservative elephant
    "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." -James 1
    God Bless Our Troops!!!!!
    Adopted by the Greats: Peanut12and4, Freyaka, McSmashie Thanks Guys

Comment

• This breakdown makes me feel slightly better about Lock? It still highlights what we already know. All the physical tools are there, but the decision-making and mechanics are still a ways off.
      2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
      Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

Comment

• Originally posted by andrewmlb View Post

Sam I respect your football IQ but lasting dominance in this league requires a top 5 QB. Brady, Manning, Big Ben, And Brees have always put their teams in championship position. I realize that only 1 was a first pick. Talent around them has come and gone, but they normally put their teams in a position to win. I realize that no one is a sure thing, but what we have done to this point is pathetic. Whats the difference between selling the farm and being mediocre or being in qb purgatory with a descent defense?

I'd rather build around the best chance in the draft as opposed to hoping we'll hit on a marginal qb. Our team does not have a track record of developing qb talent. Of your list of qbs who were 1st picks most, if not all are better than the playcallers we have been running out there for 5 years.

Your argument also is weak because my logic is the reason why this franchise even has two championships
        Was just going by what you said. Sorry if you don't like the list of QBs chosen #1, #2 or #3 since 2007. It is what it is. You propose trading away anyone and everyone in order to pick #1. That's what you said. Make up your mind if that's what you really mean. Own it or not.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Was just going by what you said. Sorry if you don't like the list of QBs chosen #1, #2 or #3 since 2007. It is what it is. You propose trading away anyone and everyone in order to pick #1. That's what you said. Make up your mind if that's what you really mean. Own it or not.
          25 qbs in the history of the super bowl was 1st picks. Highest % of any pick by far.

Nothing to own. Your argument is to prove that a uncertainty is an uncertainty. Wow, brilliant. But in the history of the position it gives you the best chance. Own it.
          "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." -James 1

Comment

• Originally posted by HDbroncos02 View Post

This breakdown makes me feel slightly better about Lock? It still highlights what we already know. All the physical tools are there, but the decision-making and mechanics are still a ways off.
            The mental aspect is an area where big improvement can be accomplished given time and experience. It happened with Garrett Bolles, but it took three years. Same thing can happen with Drew Lock. Denver may acquire another QB in the same manner they proposed a competition between Garrett Bolles and Elijah Wilkinson for starter at Left Tackle. Drew is two years into his rookie contract. We shall see how it goes.

Comment

25 qbs in the history of the super bowl was 1st picks. Highest % of any pick by far.
              To save me some time, could you provide a link for that?

Comment

To save me some time, could you provide a link for that?
                http://www.drafthistory.com/index.ph..._quarterbacks/

Its not letting me hyperlink it

Comment

• Originally posted by arapaho View Post

i seen a view the other day that makes some sense

the guy stated that in college with a inferior team in the SEC, Lock had, HAD to be the playmaker, he had to make something happen, if he couldnt find some plays the team couldnt win

and now with the backs against the wall, learning a new offense, with a #1 wr that was undrafted, losing the probowl WR sutton and playing with two rookie wrs Lock is stuck in in the mentality that he has to make a play, he cant take the check down, he has to, like in college...make a play

the coaches need to get him out of that mindset, they need to target juedy more, and focus on getting fant the ball...with quick short passes
                  The problem with getting him short passes is that Jeudy for as good as he can eventually become is far too content to dance in the face of press coverage. If he’s running a slant he has to be at his landmark at the top of the QB’s drop which is likely going to be 3 steps. Shimmying to the outside two or three times before cutting in eliminates himself as a target. Hamler isn’t as bad with it but he does tend to do it as well. The offense as it right now has to flow through Fant and Patrick but defenses are shading towards them because they know the other WRs are going to get happy feet and waste time at the LoS.

Lock is playing bad but key guys around him shouldn’t get a free pass because of that especially since they’re exacerbating those issues. Lock looks confident throwing to Fant, Patrick, Vannett, and he’s been coming on with Hamler lately. Lock and Jeudy aren’t even in the same trilogy right now. Right now honestly Hamilton or Cleveland might do better with Lock than Jeudy is. I’m not sure how we’re 12 games into a season and Jeudy is still doing this much dancing, this isn’t college where you can afford to waste steps, and I’m really questioning what the WR coach is coaching him on. Jeudy needs to study up on guys like Rod Smith in the offseason, guys that weren’t as athletic but made things happen by not wasting any motion.

Comment

Nothing to own. Your argument is to prove that a uncertainty is an uncertainty. Wow, brilliant. But in the history of the position it gives you the best chance. Own it.
                    Good info! You have every right to state your opinion about how to go about acquiring the most critical piece of the football puzzle. If you like the idea of going for it, that's cool. As I mentioned, how much would a Mahomes be worth to many teams today? A first rounder? (as if) Two? Probably more overall capital than that. Sure, we don't know that will be the end result of such a decision, but what a game-changer that became. So if you need a QB, and folks are raving about the draftee(s), who says it's the wrong approach??

Sure, this is hypothetical stuff, but even though I may not be big on such investment, who knows, you may be correct in your approach. Because at some point, if you keep trying and trying to fill the position with middle tier draftees, or ordinary veterans, you lose a load of draft picks, ones that could be used to support other position needs. Until you have your QB, you are always searching and even wasting resources...until you solve the problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by WYBRONCO View Post

I hope Haskins improves, because he looks a lot in performance like Drew Lock.
                      Not a fair assessment. Last year he was thrown to the wolves with no practice with the ones. This year he didn't know we was gonna be the starter. They have no offensive players. Gibson was not running like he is now. Lock has a 1st t.e, 1st rd wr, and 2n rd wr. And a decent run game.

"I'm E2DS and I approve this message 👌"
                      Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post

Not a fair assessment. Last year he was thrown to the wolves with no practice with the ones. This year he didn't know we was gonna be the starter. They have no offensive players. Gibson was not running like he is now. Lock has a 1st t.e, 1st rd wr, and 2n rd wr. And a decent run game.

Not the same assessment. They chose to go Defense about as much as you could in early rounds and those guys look pretty good right now. Haskins was a very good college QB I will attest to that. I am not sure he is much more successful than Lock if he was in Denver, but maybe, I am not Lock's biggest fan right now either.

Comment

• I wonder how much Courtland Sutton would make a difference. Maybe he could save Lock from some of his stupid decisions.
                          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                          You Mad Bro?
                          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                            I wonder how much Courtland Sutton would make a difference. Maybe he could save Lock from some of his stupid decisions.
                            I would throw at least 3 20+ pass plays to him every game. Jeudy, Hamler, Patrick would be open way more often too. That said, Lock still has to realize we have a Defense that can keep us in almost every ball game, so if Sutton isn't 1 on 1 or open find the guy that is underneath. Without that mind set no Sutton can't save Lock from himself.

Comment

Indeed Brady (rd 6, pick 199), Brees (rd 2, pick 32) and Big Ben (rd 1 pick 10) prove that you don't have to have the top pick to win. Mahomes was also rd 1 pick 10, and Wilson was rd 3, 75. Teams have to identify the right guy, not necessarily the top-rated prospect out of college, sacrificing everything to get him.

Originally posted by andrewmlb View Post

I count only ten unique QBs, and thirty others in that list weren't even first rounders.

How many of those required their teams to trade the farm to get them, and how often does that work out? How many of the top picked QBs selected from 1967-2019 didn't make the SB? How many busted?

I don't believe that trading the farm to move up is worth the risk and the cost.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

You made your little list but bet this i bet there is a hell of a lot more qbs that have not won the super picked from 2nd to the 7th round. You have to have to tools to at least get there. On that list at least some made it to the superbowl. 22 out of 32 teams have a qb that was selected in the 1st rd.

Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

Working...
                                X