Drew Lock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by L.M. View Post

I think they count, and he didn't indicate SB winners only. If I understand the point of this correctly, it's that a top pick #1 QB is the best bet to get us to the big dance and worth any sacrifice to obtain it. Then he cited examples of QBs who weren't top picks, like Brady, Brees, etc.
    Right.

Some Super Bowl winners drafted in the first round, but not #1 were: Bob Griese; Jim McMahon; Phil Simms; Doug Williams (drafted by Tampa/won with Washington); Trent Dilfer (drafted by Tampa/won with Baltimore); Ben Roethlisberger; Joe Flacco; Aaron Rodgers; and, Patrick Mahomes.

Super Bowl winning QBs not drafted in the first round were: Bart Starr; Johnny Unitas; Roger Staubach; Ken Stabler; Joe Montana; Joe Theismann; Jeff Hostetler; Mark Rypien; Brett Favre; Kurt Warner (not drafted); Tom Brady; Brad Johnson; Drew Bees; Russell Wilson; and, Nick Foles.

"Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by L.M. View Post

I think they count, and he didn't indicate SB winners only. If I understand the point of this correctly, it's that a top pick #1 QB is the best bet to get us to the big dance and worth any sacrifice to obtain it. Then he cited examples of QBs who weren't top picks, like Brady, Brees, etc.
      (See bold above) Could, might, maybe, possibly be the best bet but certainly not guaranteed by trading some proven high end players for a golden QB.

There's always a chance you might acquire the next Ryan Leaf.
      Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• Originally posted by Rastic View Post

Did it also come with a Little Orphan Annie secret decoder pin?

Be sure to drink your Ovaltine!
        Hey! The Craigster used to run Speed-O with those gimpy stick legs. He even kept it once.

Ovaltine rules!

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

(See bold above) Could, might, maybe, possibly be the best bet but certainly not guaranteed by trading some proven high end players for a golden QB.

There's always a chance you might acquire the next Ryan Leaf.
          In the end, a quarterback is one member of a football team. Can't win a championship by himself.

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post

In the end, a quarterback is one member of a football team. Can't win a championship by himself.
            That's true.

But I would offer that many of us would love to wake up each morning knowing we had a Mahomes or a Rodgers or a Wilson or a Watson or an Allen or a Prescott or a Murray or a Jackson, or an Elway........cuz when you have that piece of the puzzle, you can find the other pieces with more certainty. A simple example, Lock starts last year, still very much a rookie, and that same oft maligned Oline is suddenly giving up less sacks and we are throwing less pics. This was a rookie, and one that was not heralded as a "can't miss" type.

I have a load of respect for any QB, backups included. They have demonstrated that they are among a fairly small group who can say that they are NFL QBs. It is a very demanding job, and the supply is limited. BUT, and maybe it's just me than many others here, but I like having a quality QB on the team I follow. I would offer that there is no harder position to draft in terms of likelihood of success. So with that in mind, if the draftee that we are focused on has thumbs up from pretty much every scout/QB expert, it might just be worth a load of capital.

Comment

• At this point it’s just the bad decisions with the ball that need to get worked out. The footwork has improved although he still the occasional hiccup where he doesn’t get his base set firm, but it’s not nearly as bad as earlier in the season. But it is improved primarily because he isn’t drifting around in the pocket. Most people now are really just harping on his drop back when they say footwork but he was praised for that same style of drop back last season. I doubt they’ll try to coach that out of him but it does kind of go against the system as IMO it seems better for the quick game.

He needs to do better with his post snap reads but that comes with experience and chemistry with his targets. I think his play action needs work but that’s every young QB now, no one sells hard anymore.

But ultimately it circles back to decision making. Even then some of those bad decisions are plays he can and will make eventually. That first INT against KC is a good example. There’s a window for that pass to be complete. If he puts it over the back shoulder of his TE, Mathieu is in no position to make a play on the ball. And Lock knows that, but what he didn’t realize was that he just broke a sack and is now scrambling to his left as a right handed QB. He needs to get a bit more torque in his lower body to make sure it goes over that back shoulder and not fall to the inside. That play shows confidence in his arm but highlights his lack of experience. In essence it’s still a jump ball with a much shorter DB on a TE and generally you want your guy to make that play regardless of placement. Herbert got picked off by Callahan on a similar play (except he wasn’t scrambling to his left) and he was given a pass because it was a good matchup.

He went for the great play instead of the good play. He could’ve dumped it off to his TE with a step on his defender or even pulled the old Jake Plummer where he pump fakes while running to get that defender to jump and free up space for him. But he saw his TE wheel up the field and made his decision then and there. That’s a play that probably ends up being wide open in college and it’s probably why he made that decision and was so lax with the pass but as he learned from that isn’t a play that’ll always be open in the NFL.

Comment

• imagine matt ryan with these young receivers and a healthy defense next year

Comment

• Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
                  imagine matt ryan with these young receivers and a healthy defense next year
                  Matt Ryan wants a superbowl. He is already paid. He will go to a team that has a shot. We won't beat k.c. for a long time. It will still take time for them to gel. Just look at Brady and he has pro bowl wrs, and t.e.

"I'm E2DS and I approve this message 👌"
                  Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ear2dastreets View Post

Matt Ryan wants a superbowl. He is already paid. He will go to a team that has a shot. We won't beat k.c. for a long time. It will still take time for them to gel. Just look at Brady and he has pro bowl wrs, and t.e.

you can't say that for sure. thats just you being negative. we held KC to a season low points and lost by 1 td. 1 little change and we could have easily won.
                    sigpic
                    oakland raders gm
                    latavis murray trade bait

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post

you can't say that for sure. thats just you being negative. we held KC to a season low points and lost by 1 td. 1 little change and we could have easily won.
                      "I can say that and I just did and I will say it again. WE WON'T BEAT K.C. FOR A WHILE." Yes we held them to their lowest score but guess what we still lost. They also have a td they didn't know they had....a 50 up bomb td called back. Also CEH didn't even play lol. We held them to fgs and still took the L home. You can choose to look at it that way but I don't. We play K.C. again bet that won't happen they will get in the endzone at least two times and the would up them at 30+ pts. They had a terrible game and we have a good game and yet we still took the L home. No moral victories.

Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

"I can say that and I just did and I will say it again. WE WON'T BEAT K.C. FOR A WHILE." Yes we held them to their lowest score but guess what we still lost. They also have a td they didn't know they had....a 50 up bomb td called back. Also CEH didn't even play lol. We held them to fgs and still took the L home. You can choose to look at it that way but I don't. We play K.C. again bet that won't happen they will get in the endzone at least two times and the would up them at 30+ pts. They had a terrible game and we have a good game and yet we still took the L home. No moral victories.

gonna give chiefs excuses because they dont have their RB? They are one of the healthiest teams and havent been effected by covid at all this year. Meanwhile, we had duke dawson covering hill on that play that was called back.

If this team was actually healthy then I like our chances against chiefs....except for the fact we dont have even an average quarterback.

Comment

we where missing 2 of our starting D-line our best proforming CB 1 of our starting edge rushers. thats alot less then a RB. you throw out excuses for KC. then when some says that lock is struggling from a subpar O-line. which at RT and C is true for sure. missing his number 1 WR and having to rely on young still developing weapons. you throw them out as excuses. give me a break. you are being so Hypocritical here. there are no Moral Victory. but we did play the Chiefs one of the better this year that any one had. we held them to the lost scoring out put missing 4 starters on defense. yet you are saying it doesn't matter cause they where missing there starting RB. we played them about as well as any could play the cheifs. we just made to many mistakes and that falls on Lock. you can't have 2 Ints and expect to be one of the better if not the best team in the nfl. if we had good QB play and cut down on turn overs a good chance we win this week. Locks right now looking like he is majorly on the hot seat. i am kinda in the mind set we need to go OT and QB for next for sure. at least get some one who can push Lock for a starting job. Also i do want to say our Red zone defense has been one of our strengths this whole year, not just this game.
                          Last edited by Kyousukeneko; 12-09-2020, 11:33 PM.
                          sigpic
                          oakland raders gm

Comment

• Originally posted by Starbroncs View Post

gonna give chiefs excuses because they dont have their RB? They are one of the healthiest teams and havent been effected by covid at all this year. Meanwhile, we had duke dawson covering hill on that play that was called back.

If this team was actually healthy then I like our chances against chiefs....except for the fact we dont have even an average quarterback.
                            I agree with you only with the last sentence you said.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post

we where missing 2 of our starting D-line our best proforming CB 1 of our starting edge rushers. thats alot less then a RB. you throw out excuses for KC. then when some says that lock is struggling from a subpar O-line. which at RT and C is true for sure. missing his number 1 WR and having to rely on young still developing weapons. you throw them out as excuses. give me a break. you are being so Hypocritical here. there are no Moral Victory. but we did play the Chiefs one of the better this year that any one had. we held them to the lost scoring out put missing 4 starters on defense. yet you are saying it doesn't matter cause they where missing there starting RB. we played them about as well as any could play the cheifs. we just made to many mistakes and that falls on Lock. you can't have 2 Ints and expect to be one of the better if not the best team in the nfl. if we had good QB play and cut down on turn overs a good chance we win this week. Locks right now looking like he is majorly on the hot seat. i am kinda in the mind set we need to go OT and QB for next for sure. at least get some one who can push Lock for a starting job. Also i do want to say our Red zone defense has been one of our strengths this whole year, not just this game.
                              First off I did not say we loss bc of them not having CEH....I brought him up just to say they had people missing too nothing more nothing less. Im not making excuses for a team that won really??? Ok if you feel that you run with that. I give our defense credit for what they did. But we still loss. Again sometimes teams have good games and bad games and my point is. They had a terrible game and we played good football and we still loss. If k.c was clicking we would have gotta beat down. If we were clicking we would have scored what 21 pts max. If thats the case we would have still loss by a pt. You can feel how you want and thats cool. I look at that k.c. completely different from you. We don't to agree. But that won't change how I feel.

"I'm E2DS and I approve this message "

Comment

First off I did not say we loss bc of them not having CEH....I brought him up just to say they had people missing too nothing more nothing less. Im not making excuses for a team that won really??? Ok if you feel that you run with that. I give our defense credit for what they did. But we still loss. Again sometimes teams have good games and bad games and my point is. They had a terrible game and we played good football and we still loss. If k.c was clicking we would have gotta beat down. If we were clicking we would have scored what 21 pts max. If thats the case we would have still loss by a pt. You can feel how you want and thats cool. I look at that k.c. completely different from you. We don't to agree. But that won't change how I feel.

"I'm E2DS and I approve this message "
                                If lock played better we could have easily had more points. I mean McManus doesn't miss his kick and thats 19. If Lock stopped playing Hero ball and actually took what the defense gave him there could have been some more points. Both ints had a guy wide open but he decided to push the ball down the field and not take the easy first down. It has happened alot this season. But keep seeing what you want. Lock needs to play better or we need to replace him. Our defense is still probably one of the better defenses in the league.
                                sigpic
                                oakland raders gm

Comment

Working...
                                X