Drew Lock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post

I know. The stupid coaches should just tear out the chapter of their playbook entitled "Dumb Plays"!!! What is wrong with them?

(btw, what is the definition of a dumb play?)
    I believe coaches call that section the “plays to set up other plays” section

and the definition of a dumb play would probably be the Noah Fant handoff or the colts fake punt

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
      I'm not sure anybody gave him the keys to A Ferrari ????

Maybe they gave him
      ​the keys to a Beetle Bug!!!

He's a kid, give him a break.

Hopefully we can find a Franchise QB someday.
      Until then we shouldn't run down every QB we get, that isn't a John Elway or Peyton Manning.

(Support the team, be the 12th man)

Nope, it's lightning in a bottle, or bust!

All 2nd round, raw projects should be playing really well in their first sixteen games –mistake-free football. If not, well that's their ceiling, they'll never get better with time, so tar & feather them and run them out of town on a rail!

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016
      2021 Adopted Bronco: Von Miller

Comment

• Originally posted by L.M. View Post

All 2nd round, raw projects should be playing really well in their first sixteen games –mistake-free football. If not, well that's their ceiling, they'll never get better with time, so tar & feather them and run them out of town on a rail!
        I think we all know a certain poster in here that does exactly that because he sees into the future. Lol

Seriously I do like Lock but at this point he doesn’t seem to be progressing at all. It could a number of things but I’m going to say most of it is on him.

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

I believe coaches call that section the “plays to set up other plays” section

and the definition of a dumb play would probably be the Noah Fant handoff or the colts fake punt
          In the mid-Nineties we were building a program at a school that had no winning tradition in football. We were running a pretty basic Power I (wham, trap, toss, sweep, counter with PAP) One of our best third down pass plays was draw. Coolest play we had was Wham G (weak side wham)

From the sideline we could hear certain parents/fans with loud voices. In one game, we tried wham to the RT hole and it got stopped at LOS. One guy in the stands yelled, "That's a stupid play, coach. Don't run that play!" A few plays later we whammed the LT hole and got good yards. Same guy yelled, "There you go, coach! That's a good play! Keep running that one." We looked at each other and said, "I'd like to order what he's having."

In the end, a coach calls the play, but the players are the ones who run it. In those days we sent plays in with an X and there was about twenty-four seconds between the whistle ending the previous play and delay of game. Not much time to think.

BTW some of the best rushing attacks are series where one play sets up other plays. Lombardi's Sweep Series was Sweep plus about four other plays used to attack the adjustments to Sweep.
          Last edited by samparnell; 12-11-2020, 04:03 PM.
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

I'm running down the coaching staff more than Lock. It's not Lock's fault if the coaches call a dumb play and it fails....unless of course it's a pick....maybe.
            Just because a play fails doesn’t mean it was a dumb play call.

It’s safe to say that most plays that fail, fail because of execution, either bad execution by the offense or great execution by the defense.

Execution is on the players, not the coaches.
            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
            You Mad Bro?
            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

• Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post

I think older people have an issue with players enjoying themselves. I think it's only bad if the team isn't doing good. Don't celebrate when the team is bad. Outside of that, i like seeing people have fun. But then again I'm a soccer fan...celebrations in soccer gets very extra.
              ageist often?

I am not far from 60, and have been a Broncos fan for nearly all of it. I have several good friends my age, and we usually watch the games together.

None of us gives a fig about a player enjoying himself. We do think that sometimes they make themselves look like fools when they do that and are losing the game at the time though.
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post

Just because a play fails doesn’t mean it was a dumb play call.

It’s safe to say that most plays that fail, fail because of execution, either bad execution by the offense or great execution by the defense.

Execution is on the players, not the coaches.
                Shumer gets so much hate on here, but a lot of it at least on the passing offense is From lock. there are several games and several times during the chiefs games he had some one open underneath and try's to play hero ball. both Ints had some one running open underneath and he tried to play hero ball instead of taking the easy first down then gets picked. this has been a narrative of this season for lock in my opinion. he needs to learn to take what the defense is giving him, and not always go for the deep shot. especially if it is not open.
                sigpic
                oakland raders gm
                latavis murray trade bait

Comment

• Originally posted by L.M. View Post

Well my issue with that is, he needs to show improvement. I know Fangio came out and said he was improving, but if he is, it isnt showing on the field. The Lock we have now, is the same Lock we had at the end of last year.

He doesnt have to be an elite player, he doesnt have to be an all pro. He doesnt have to throw for 300 yards and 3 tds every game.

But he DOES need to prove he can do that, more than once a year. He has only had 2 games this entire year where his qb rating (as dubious as it is) has been over 80. His yards/att stat has also exceeded 7, only twice. He has thrown more ints, than tds.

Thing is, he is STILL putting up those lowsy numbers, this late in the year. These numbers arent aberrations, they are *the norm*.

And they arent getting better. THAT, is the problem.
                  sigpic

Comment

• It's hard when you have a young team and have to watch them develop. It's frustrating when Drew Lock misses those underneath receivers, and then goes for the bomb, and throws a pick.

But this is the 2020 Broncos, and it is, what it is.

We can only hope that they learn from their mistakes.

Just like when your potty training your kids, and getting them out of diapers, they still poop themselves once in awhile, but they learn. (Some just take longer then others)
                    💩

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post

Shumer gets so much hate on here, but a lot of it at least on the passing offense is From lock. there are several games and several times during the chiefs games he had some one open underneath and try's to play hero ball. both Ints had some one running open underneath and he tried to play hero ball instead of taking the easy first down then gets picked. this has been a narrative of this season for lock in my opinion. he needs to learn to take what the defense is giving him, and not always go for the deep shot. especially if it is not open.
                      But why is Lock passing up those short targets? That wasn’t something he did last season. He actually passes up open deep shots for targets underneath even if it was a harder pass to complete. Are the coaches telling him to take those shots or are they telling him that he could’ve completed that play if he just threw it a certain way? If they’re telling him the latter it reinforces the mindset to play “hero ball”.

Comment

• Maybe it's just me, but when someone shows different sides, and goes against my understanding of who they are....like you catch them lying or being a bit superficial (after you trusted who they were), I turn a little quicker than many others. I liked the acquisition of Drew Lock. I liked him. And perhaps I still do and still will, but in spite of his less than stellar year, I am less keen on the guy with some of his behaviour (celebrations/apparent focus or lack thereof). This may be over analysis on my part, but something feels different. Which won't matter in the long run, if he does not get back on track as a QB. If he's a good guy, I stick with him for as long as is reasonable. If he's not quite as advertised (as an individual), then I don't feel as attached.

Not saying he's a bad person, just not quite as I had expected. Hey, he's young, so I'll give him a little time, as will I be a little more lenient and observant of good behaviour.

Comment

• Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

But why is Lock passing up those short targets? That wasn’t something he did last season. He actually passes up open deep shots for targets underneath even if it was a harder pass to complete. Are the coaches telling him to take those shots or are they telling him that he could’ve completed that play if he just threw it a certain way? If they’re telling him the latter it reinforces the mindset to play “hero ball”.

At least some of the blame seems to fall on Shurmur. It’s part of the design of his offense. A couple interesting video breakdowns that break it down ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGaM...tTOEi&index=17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sJN...tTOEi&index=29

Comment

• Originally posted by neutessa View Post

At least some of the blame seems to fall on Shurmur. It’s part of the design of his offense. A couple interesting video breakdowns that break it down ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGaM...tTOEi&index=17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sJN...tTOEi&index=29
                            how much is it the offense. and how much is it Lock not going through his reads properly would be my debate. we wont really ever know that. i know it could look alot better if lock didn't lock onto his first read and throw there all time. or at least thats how it feels.
                            sigpic
                            oakland raders gm

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post

how much is it the offense. and how much is it Lock not going through his reads properly would be my debate. we wont really ever know that. i know it could look alot better if lock didn't lock onto his first read and throw there all time. or at least thats how it feels.
                              I’d agree - shared blame. The bigger point, I think, is that Shurmur is throwing the baby into the deep end of the pool and hoping he can swim instead of teaching him how in the shallow end first. A 10 year vet likely comes off the deep reads. Shurmur is expecting Drew to play as such.

Comment

• Originally posted by neutessa View Post

I’d agree - shared blame. The bigger point, I think, is that Shurmur is throwing the baby into the deep end of the pool and hoping he can swim instead of teaching him how in the shallow end first. A 10 year vet likely comes off the deep reads. Shurmur is expecting Drew to play as such.
                                i don't know you think a Coach would be teaching him when to come off routes. Lock has been bad on diagnosing Blitz and reading the field. that would indicate to me lock would struggle in alot of offenses.
                                sigpic
                                oakland raders gm

Comment

Working...
                                X