No announcement yet.

Drew Lock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are at 230 pages in this thread and the question still ain't answered. Is Lock the guy moving forward? We are still debating that back and forth and 9out of 10 times if we still having that discussion than the Qb in question hasn't done much to answer the concerns.
    :go:

Comment

• Originally posted by dizzolve View Post

what bothers me about the celebrating is that it 'seems like' it's what he thinks he should be doing .......... not what's just coming out naturally.
      Excellent point!
      Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• Originally posted by Dotst View Post
        All the people saying Josh Allen is better would have NEVER given him the time to develop. This is Allens third season and he is finally starting to piece it all together WITH a true #1 receiver in Diggs. Guess what? Lock doesnt have that this season. He hasnt even played a full 16 games yet and has only had one full off season.

some of you guys are the worst
        Worst what? Please explain the context of using the word "worst". Just because good things happen to a QB with high potential after 3 years doesn't equate to it happening to another QB with high potential....not always the same team dynamics.

However, because of this strange, unusual year, new coaches, tough schedule, injuries, etc. Lock should DEFINITELY remain for one possibly two more years to allow for significant improvement before throwing him under the bus.
        Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

All the people saying Josh Allen is better would have NEVER given him the time to develop. This is Allens third season and he is finally starting to piece it all together WITH a true #1 receiver in Diggs. Guess what? Lock doesnt have that this season. He hasnt even played a full 16 games yet and has only had one full off season.

Weren’t they 10-6 and made the playoffs last season?

Comment

Was talking to a Buff fan I work with. When I was venting my frustration at Lock always throwing the deep ball and times not seeing or choosing to not throw to guys open on shorter routes sometimes for first downs...he said Allen had same problem before 2020. Seems that Allen also had a problem giving up on plays and running too fast.

It takes time for almost every college QB to play in the NFL. If someone watches with an open mind even QBs who have perceived early success are not really playing the game at a NFL level the first year or two except for the outliers.
            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post

Weren’t they 10-6 and made the playoffs last season?
              Are you saying teams with bad QB play do not make the playoffs?
              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post

Are you saying teams with bad QB play do not make the playoffs?
                I’m saying if we finish 10-6 and make the playoffs there wouldn’t be as much whining about his play

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

Well, it wouldn't surprise me if they had a page in the playbook titled: Very low percentage plays that the opposing defense would never consider happening. We can trick those fools!

Dumb play: 3rd & 3 and you call a 20 to 30 yard pass play.
                  Dumb play: 1st and goal from the 1 or 2 yard line and you run it basically 4 times up the middle.
                  Dumb play: 3rd & 15 (or more) and you run the ball OR call a pass play to a receiver who's 2 or 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage.

Do you need more examples?
                  You don't get it.
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• MH Stampede

Originally posted by MH Stampede View Post

Well my issue with that is, he needs to show improvement. I know Fangio came out and said he was improving, but if he is, it isnt showing on the field. The Lock we have now, is the same Lock we had at the end of last year.

He doesnt have to be an elite player, he doesnt have to be an all pro. He doesnt have to throw for 300 yards and 3 tds every game.

But he DOES need to prove he can do that, more than once a year. He has only had 2 games this entire year where his qb rating (as dubious as it is) has been over 80. His yards/att stat has also exceeded 7, only twice. He has thrown more ints, than tds.

Thing is, he is STILL putting up those lowsy numbers, this late in the year. These numbers arent aberrations, they are *the norm*.

And they arent getting better. THAT, is the problem.
                    You take issue with my sarcastic mockery of some of the unhinged ranting and raving around here? Yeah I realize that there are many shades of gray between the believers and the haters.

Growing pains and babysteps, my friend, and they won't often translate into W's right away. Some folks who analyze tape more closely have noted little improvements (tune into beastlyskronk posts he offers detailed analysis of individual performances, or read MHR). Between the bookend INT's last week, Lock did play better against the Champs than in his previous two games.

He's doing about what one should expect from a 2nd round project. The problem is, people's expectations were (and still are) overinflated. Yeah we're behind in a very competitive division so there's an urgent need for QB competency, and everyone is sick of losing. But it's going to take time to develop a fairly raw player and there are no guarantees that that time will lead to the Promised Land.

More typical of the 2nd round projects is Geno Smith (#39) –his rookie numbers with the Jets were awful (12 TDs, 21 INTs, 66.5% PR, 43 sacks, 4 fumbles lost), than Drew Brees (#32). But Brees sat for most of year and his next two seasons were not exactly stellar:

2002 — 17 TDs 16 INTs, 76.9% PR, 24 sacks
                    2003 — 11 TDs 15 INTs, 67.5% PR, 21 sacks, 3 fumbles lost (in only 11 games)

Lock hasn't even played a full season so it's fair to look at his body of work as a whole in 13.2 games:

16 TD's, 16 INT's, 74.9% PR, 16 sacks, 2 fumbles lost, 2 rushing TDs

Yes, this is the same Lock from last year yet he has regressed and that doesn't happen for no reason. The differences between the situations of this year vs. last are obvious and have been noted here many times: Scangarello (with QB coach McCartney), WR Sutton, and McGovern and Leary were on the O-line. Lock was obviously more comfortable with those players and coaches.

Risner seemed to have regressed earlier too, mostly I think because rookie Cushenberry beside him has struggled. Lock is surrounded by rookies who are making mistakes in their own right. Some of the incompletions and picks are from drops, deflections, and other mistakes from these youngsters. But it's not all on the rookie supporting cast, it's not all Shurmur's (and Shula's) fault, and it's not all black and white, with one person at fault. Much is on Lock for certain, but it's a collective problem where the culpability for errors and losses varies from game to game.

The article I posted here recently stated: "With a new offensive coordinator in Pat Shurmur that did not come with the traditional offseason reps to assimilate the scheme for Lock thanks to the pandemic — which canceled OTAs and the preseason, erasing upwards of 1,400-1,600 reps — it's possible that the second-year quarterback simply needed the time on task to gel with his new play-caller."

I think we can all agree that he really needed all of those reps! The crippled season preparation mattered to this team more than most.
                    Lock has some issues to resolve, some negative habits and tendencies to break for sure. Habits are subconscious patterns, difficult to change and it doesn't simply happen overnight just by his looking at his mistakes on tape. It takes lots of diligent practice to condition in a new and better habit. He will need this coming offseason, and hopefully (once the vaccine gets distributed) he can work with a veteran QB or two on these habits, and his mechanics. And get better. He's young and it's still possible.
                    Last edited by L.M.; 12-13-2020, 10:36 AM.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post

I’m saying if we finish 10-6 and make the playoffs there wouldn’t be as much whining about his play
                      There would probably be less I agree.

You underestimate (or overestimate I suppose) the internet

There was whining on these boards the week before and weeks after winning the SB50

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post

There would probably be less I agree.

You underestimate (or overestimate I suppose) the internet

There was whining on these boards the week before and weeks after winning the SB50
                        The franchise has been historically bad for 4 straight years in a row and it doesn’t looks like it’s getting better anytime soon. Lock could have been a bright spot in all of this. Instead, he looks like just another reason they are this bad. Yes, people complain anyway, but it is definitely amplified when we are this bad, and, he doesn’t show signs of making it better.

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post

that’s because people of that age group were taught that good sportsmanship matters.

The way some of the players act is a clown show and much of the time it’s for a play that really doesn’t need to be celebrated.
                          Celebrating isn't a lack of sportsmanship. Things change with time, as should mindsets. Taunting is bad sportsmanship, bat flips are bad sportsmanship, not shaking hands, refusing a jersey swap. Those are bad sportsmanship...not celebrating a good play or win or score.
                          sigpic
                          Adopted Broncos:
                          EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• Lock probably had one of the best quarters of football he has put together all season. He had a fumble but I am not sure I blame him for that one. The rush got to him so fast the only thing he may have been able to do is audible the rb to protect. The offense line didn't help much I dont think cushenberry blocked any one on that play.
                            sigpic
                            oakland raders gm
                            latavis murray trade bait

Comment

• 4th qtr. 3:18 left. 2nd and.... wow. Game not ever close to being over. Wow.

Comment

• Yeah, if DL was celebrating too much then he needs to keep it in check. We only have 5 wins and CAR banged up.

But, Bridgewater one of the more efficient QBs this season and CAR compete. This is what you need to see from DL to feel good about giving him the keys in 2021.

Baby steps is progress and DL took another step forward... A shame the NO happened, b/c this might’ve been a solid 4-game stretch.

Comment

Working...
                                X