Drew Lock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DiveInstructor View Post

Heard on the local sports radio station that the Broncos are in the mix for Watson. I wouldn't mind the Broncos giving up 3 1st round picks and a couple of 2nds or 3rds for him. They'd have to dump some salaries (Miller?) to open up their cap space.

Yeah, it is hard to say what will happen with Lock. Nothing's for sure (except taxes and death, right?). We can take a reasonable approach to guessing what will, though. Most QBs who do poorly don't turn into HOF QB's, especially ones who weren't exceptional talent. Throw Shurmur in the mix, who hasn't been known for developing QB's, and that doesn't help Drew. With this coaching staff, what the team needs is a QB who can excel on his own, and maybe even in spite of the staff. Not many of those guys. Watson's probably one. The team has some good players, which would likely improve Watson's performance.

Comparing Bolles to Lock is almost like apples to oranges. No other position really compares to the demands of QB.
    While you are right developing every position is different I think you missed the point that some players take longer to develop.

Took Bolles what 30+ games to turn around?
    Took Josh Allen almost 30 games to become elite.

Right now Lock is at 18 games.

Actually I think most Qbs take longer than most LTs.
    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Heard on the local sports radio station that the Broncos are in the mix for Watson. I wouldn't mind the Broncos giving up 3 1st round picks and a couple of 2nds or 3rds for him. They'd have to dump some salaries (Miller?) to open up their cap space.

Yeah, it is hard to say what will happen with Lock. Nothing's for sure (except taxes and death, right?). We can take a reasonable approach to guessing what will, though. Most QBs who do poorly don't turn into HOF QB's, especially ones who weren't exceptional talent. Throw Shurmur in the mix, who hasn't been known for developing QB's, and that doesn't help Drew. With this coaching staff, what the team needs is a QB who can excel on his own, and maybe even in spite of the staff. Not many of those guys. Watson's probably one. The team has some good players, which would likely improve Watson's performance.

Comparing Bolles to Lock is almost like apples to oranges. No other position really compares to the demands of QB.
      All football players can get better, worse or stay the same.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post

While you are right developing every position is different I think you missed the point that some players take longer to develop.

Took Bolles what 30+ games to turn around?
        Took Josh Allen almost 30 games to become elite.

Right now Lock is at 18 games.

Actually I think most Qbs take longer than most LTs.
        Never said they should toss Lock. But, he should be competing for the position. Tired of the Broncos waiting, hoping a guy develops into that QB. They've wasted several years doing this.

You're right, it took Bolles awhile to develop. I gave up on the guy. But, he fixed a lot of his bad habits. Can Lock do the same? Bolles has little to do with Lock changing those things, other than giving Lock a bit of time to execute a play. This past year, Lock was pretty well protected on Bolles side...yet the problems continued.

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post

When Jake Plummer played in Denver, Broncos' rushing attack was pretty much 100% Zone steps. Jake excelled at Boot in that Series. Would be interesting to know how many of his pass attempts came off of Boot and what the stats were on those.

In what kind of offense does Minshew play? What kind of rushing attack is used? How much PAP?
          When Plummer was playing people gathered his bootleg stats....they were well over 100 qb rating.

Unfortunately as great as he was in the bootleg he was horrible in the pocket. Defending Plummer was easy...keep him in the pocket.
          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Plummer had that Good year,,, but then didn't we get rid of Clinton Portis and Gary Kubiak the same year???

(And is that when Plummer struggled?)

I was bummed when they got rid of Clinton Portis, Even though I liked getting Champ. I thought having Portis helped out Jake Plummer alot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
              Plummer had that Good year,,, but then didn't we get rid of Clinton Portis and Gary Kubiak the same year???

I was bummed when they got rid of Clinton Portis, Even though I liked getting Champ. I thought having Portis helped out Jake Plummer alot.
              I do think keep Portis would have led to winning more games. Maybe even Plummer staying around longer.

Plummer required a run game to be good. I do not think his game would have ever allowed for enough playoff success to win a ring because when playing 3-4 really good teams in the playoffs 2 or more of those teams will make it really difficult to run.

For whatever reason Plummer's pocket passer game was bad. Based on a few comments here and there I think he lacked the work ethic to take his game to the next level.

Comment

Plummer had that Good year,,, but then didn't we get rid of Clinton Portis and Gary Kubiak the same year???

Portis was traded prior to the 2004 season. Plummer played here for 3 additional seasons after that, while Kubiak left to coach the Texans in 2006.
                sigpic

Comment

Never said they should toss Lock. But, he should be competing for the position. Tired of the Broncos waiting, hoping a guy develops into that QB. They've wasted several years doing this.

You're right, it took Bolles awhile to develop. I gave up on the guy. But, he fixed a lot of his bad habits. Can Lock do the same? Bolles has little to do with Lock changing those things, other than giving Lock a bit of time to execute a play. This past year, Lock was pretty well protected on Bolles side...yet the problems continued.
                  The biggest difference between Bolles and Lock is that Bolles has the best offensive line coach in the NFL, whereas no one thinks Lock has a great OC or quarterbacks coach.

The other benefit Bolles has is that he had unwavering support from those within the organization, but it's clear that no one has Lock's back.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post

The biggest difference between Bolles and Lock is that Bolles has the best offensive line coach in the NFL, whereas no one thinks Lock has a great OC or quarterbacks coach.

The other benefit Bolles has is that he had unwavering support from those within the organization, but it's clear that no one has Lock's back.
                    Which is why the Broncos need to be looking at another QB. Reality of the situation is that Shurmur stinks, and Fangio is clueless when it comes to offense. That's just the situation. So, they don't have the luxury of babysitting Lock until Lock figures out how to fix all of his problems, of which there are many. The Broncos need a QB that has the talent, mechanics, and gray matter to stand on his own, in spite of the coaching staff. Lock isn't that guy. Waiting until the Broncos change that situation, and then waiting until Lock goes through the motions to fix his issues (if he ever does) is going to be another 3 seasons of crap football. I'm not interested in seeing more of that. No Broncos fan should be.
                    Last edited by DiveInstructor; 02-03-2021, 02:37 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hadez View Post

I do think keep Portis would have led to winning more games. Maybe even Plummer staying around longer.

Plummer required a run game to be good. I do not think his game would have ever allowed for enough playoff success to win a ring because when playing 3-4 really good teams in the playoffs 2 or more of those teams will make it really difficult to run.

For whatever reason Plummer's pocket passer game was bad. Based on a few comments here and there I think he lacked the work ethic to take his game to the next level.
                      Yes should have kept Portis but there's no argument that getting close to 2000 yard on the ground from Mike Anderson and Tatum Bell was just as good in 2005.

The broncos were one game away from pay dirt with Jake. To this day I still belive if Jake didn't get the flu going into that championship game they would have beat the steelers (even though the crowd sold out the the team) and then Seattle in the superbowl.

Comment

• Originally posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post

I was never fan of Plummer because you always knew that he was going to throw that Ill Advised Interception when the game was on the line and he did just that in the 2005 AFC Championship Game Laying to Waste the Best Performance Ever From A True HOF Lock Down Shut Down Corner Back in Champ Bailey ( BTW Champ got hosed on not getting the DPOY ) MAD AND UGH !!
                        Sad that some of you feel like that, and blaming Plummer for "wasting" Bailey - especially in the AFCC game where Champ dropped a sure int. on the first drive and where Steelers scored on every drive in the first half is pretty bad. The AFCC game saw our O-line penetrated repeatedly - especially by Joey Porter. Jake was typically hit before he was at the top of his drop and no one played well in that game. Supposedly he had 102 a degree in the morning of the AFCC game, and I think you have to be extremely biased to blame everything on Jake.

What we had in the two Indy games and the Steelers game were defenses that were massively exposed, and offenses that couldn't keep up.

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post

All football players can get better, worse or stay the same.
                          Yeah, trouble is historically they either stay the same or get worse more often than get better. Oh, now I'm hearing that the local media mouth that was blowing the horn that Watson was interested is pretty much full of sh*t, at least by those who have solid reputations (like Adam Shefter). Klis was the one reporting it, and he's often been full of crap. It's kinda funny how some people can keep their job even after repeatedly being a train wreck.

Comment

• As great as it would be to have a Star Quarterback like Watson, I just wouldn't want to give up five draft picks or whatever they're asking.

Especially,,, if said athlete has a hissy fit if he doesn't like something, and then demand to be traded, after they give him a 40 million dollar a year contract.

(It seems to me, These athletes get a little funny after they have a hundred million dollar contract.)

JMO

Comment

As great as it would be to have a Star Quarterback like Watson, I just wouldn't want to give up five draft picks or whatever they're asking.

Especially,,, if said athlete has a hissy fit if he doesn't like something, and then demand to be traded, after they give him a 40 million dollar a year contract.

(It seems to me, These athletes get a little funny after they have a hundred million dollar contract.)

JMO
                              If thats the reason you felt Deshaun is doing this you and anyone else that believes that truly don't have a clue.
                              Until we get a TRUE not name "Lock" qb we will miss the playoffs and be average at best! I'm E2DS and I approve this message! "AND IF YOU DON'T KNOW, NOW YA KNOW."

Comment

• Usually when you apply for a job it says, "works well with others", "gets along with the team members and staff" etc. Obviously Watson isn't doing that.

He is a distraction and A disruption to the organization.

And a crybaby for wanting/Demanding to get traded.

If he doesn't like the way things are at work, he can retire or Man up and go to work, until he has fulfilled his contractual obligation with his team.

Comment

Working...
                                X