Drew Lock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sra84 View Post
    Given the physicality of football, I don't think football would be able to have a developmental league. The span of a football player's career is usually much less than other sports.

​​​​​​It would be nice to have something like that, I just don't think it's possible.
    I would put it forward as an alternative to the NCAA. 12 game season plus 1-2 playoff games. Wouldn't be anymore wear and tear than playing college football. It would just allow the NFL to train certain positions (QB, OL) to play the position properly rather than just spread offenses with 1 read or run for the QBs and cut blocking as the only pass pro

Comment

• I don't care what side of the Lock fence you're on, nobody can make an argument that Lock is a better option than Watson. The deal with Watson is no guarantee and the odds are that Denver stays with Lock. I will absolutely support Lock if Paton doesn't get a deal done on the Watson front. His leash will be very short by all fans but I won't come out booing.

Everyone knows Drew has all the physical tools needed to get the job done. Where he lacks is the mental abilities and I'm not sold that is something that you can coach out of a guy. Lots of guys have come into the league with crazy talents....if they don't have it upstairs it doesn't matter how far they can throw it or how fast they can run, they won't last

Comment

• Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
        I don't care what side of the Lock fence you're on, nobody can make an argument that Lock is a better option than Watson. The deal with Watson is no guarantee and the odds are that Denver stays with Lock. I will absolutely support Lock if Paton doesn't get a deal done on the Watson front. His leash will be very short by all fans but I won't come out booing.

Everyone knows Drew has all the physical tools needed to get the job done. Where he lacks is the mental abilities and I'm not sold that is something that you can coach out of a guy. Lots of guys have come into the league with crazy talents....if they don't have it upstairs it doesn't matter how far they can throw it or how fast they can run, they won't last
        Well-said. I don’t think anyone can call themselves a Broncos fan if they don’t want Lock to succeed with us at the very least.

If he’s the guy in 2021, we’ll see how a healthy, more developed supporting cast and another year in the system will benefit his performance. In an interview after the season, Lock said he was literally getting familiar with the offense in games at times, since there wasn’t many reps to go around with no OTAs, preseason, COVID-canceled practices, etc..

We’ll see how the mental aspect shakes out next year, all too often he determined where he was going before the snap and missed open reads right in front of him. He improved at taking what the defense gave him as the year went on, but he has to get better at recognizing defensive looks so he knows exactly where to go with the football.

His rate of uncatchable passes thrown was among the worst in the NFL, so he has to improve his accuracy. His adjusted completion % (credits drops, throwaways, spikes, batted balls, etc.) was dead last among starting QBs. He was 2nd in the NFL in turnover-worthy plays. Hopefully better chemistry with his receivers and cleaner pocket footwork will help that.
        2020 Adopt-A-Bronco: #10 JERRY JEUDY
        Previous Adoptees: #25 CHRIS HARRIS, #38 QUINTON CARTER, #43 TJ WARD

Comment

• Denver has now moved to the Vegas Favorite to land Watson

Comment

• Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
            Denver has now moved to the Vegas Favorite to land Watson
            I have to wander if something is going to happen soon. I read this morning the Panthers are reworking contracts and cutting players to create cap space and are rumored to make a hard push as well.
            Last edited by JvDub95; 02-20-2021, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
              Denver has now moved to the Vegas Favorite to land Watson
              Was it really recent? I hope so. It seems every time folks say that a deal will never happen, another source sort of says otherwise.

For Lock fans....despite my hopes for a game-changing QB, this is not about Drew. It's a tough business, and though I supported him big time into his rookie year, to the point I was convinced about him being the guy, I do want The Broncos to put their best foot forward. It's wise to seek better solutions.

I wonder how it would have turned out if Elway had never landed Manning. Hey, what if Elway never became a Bronco?? We might not have any championships!!

Comment

• I think Watson Would make our offense better immediately!

If it happens,,,,

I would go as far to say, that I would become a D. Watson "fanboy" on day 1.

Comment

• For me, it’s all about the direction of the team. Just like many others, I was not very encouraged by Lock’s play this season.

In all reality, though, it comes down to the direction and philosophy the team goes with.

In my opinion, you either stick with Lock, or you move on. I personally don’t want to watch another QB competition between our current QB and some other mediocre vet QB.

If you can land Watson, great. He will be the starter with no question. There is also the option of picking a QB high in the draft.

I just don’t get excited by the “vet for competition” philosophy. Then we’ll just be stuck in the same QB cycle we’ve been stuck in for the passed several seasons.

Of course, it is a good thing to have a vet on the roster. I just don’t want to see the same thing we’ve seen before: some mediocre vet that doesn’t really solve the QB problem.

Either stick with Lock or replace him with a vet or high draft pick. No half way BS.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

Was it really recent? I hope so. It seems every time folks say that a deal will never happen, another source sort of says otherwise.

For Lock fans....despite my hopes for a game-changing QB, this is not about Drew. It's a tough business, and though I supported him big time into his rookie year, to the point I was convinced about him being the guy, I do want The Broncos to put their best foot forward. It's wise to seek better solutions.

I wonder how it would have turned out if Elway had never landed Manning. Hey, what if Elway never became a Bronco?? We might not have any championships!!

I have looked up things and yes, some see as the #1 most likely landing spot, and the odds favour us. Doesn't mean squat, but it proves that the smoke equals fire scenario is sometimes relevant. For us to even be near the top of that list means that many of the astute minds of the game see linkages between what we hear/read and a possible outcome.

I am far past getting over-excited about such things actually happening, but I see enough to warrant some hope. This is how I felt before we landed Manning. Hope, turning to some supportive info. What seems to me is different in this year's strategy is some willingness by Paton and Elway to look for another option this year. There's no doubt in my mind that we have explored 2 or more options already.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

See what you just started in Broncos country?

Comment

• I just listened to Colin Cowpie's commentary on Lock. I do think the reaction by some here in Broncos country is overblown, I do hope Lock is hearing this and it's kicking him in the tail to prove these guys wrong. Lock was a bit too lackadaisical in the early part of his time on the field, and I think it rolled over into this past season. I want Lock to have another chance to compete for the job, but if he can't get it done, I don't want the Broncos having to wait a full season or more to do something about it. The worst thing, IMO, that could happen is the Broncos have to start Lock this year since they have no strong candidate at the position, the team gets into that 7-9 or 8-8 no man's hell, and the Broncos keep tinkering with the team trying to fix it elsewhere other than at QB.

Comment

• Originally posted by DiveInstructor View Post
                          I just listened to Colin Cowpie's commentary on Lock. I do think the reaction by some here in Broncos country is overblown, I do hope Lock is hearing this and it's kicking him in the tail to prove these guys wrong. Lock was a bit too lackadaisical in the early part of his time on the field, and I think it rolled over into this past season. I want Lock to have another chance to compete for the job, but if he can't get it done, I don't want the Broncos having to wait a full season or more to do something about it. The worst thing, IMO, that could happen is the Broncos have to start Lock this year since they have no strong candidate at the position, the team gets into that 7-9 or 8-8 no man's hell, and the Broncos keep tinkering with the team trying to fix it elsewhere other than at QB.
                          There was a report earlier this week (I think it was from Mike Klis but can't remember) that said Lock has heard everything but isn't taking it personally because he understands it's a business and he hasn't played well enough. And that he's working hard in the offseason to improve so he can win the starting job either in Denver or wherever else he is.

Sounds like he's dealing with it the right way, no Jay Cutler here. It's not a common thing by any means (and I'm not suggesting Lock will become this) but Drew Brees was benched for Doug Flutie and then they drafted Eli Manning (became Phillip Rivers) to replace him. He worked hard and became a great player that season, and he's an all-time great.

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

There was a report earlier this week (I think it was from Mike Klis but can't remember) that said Lock has heard everything but isn't taking it personally because he understands it's a business and he hasn't played well enough. And that he's working hard in the offseason to improve so he can win the starting job either in Denver or wherever else he is.

Sounds like he's dealing with it the right way, no Jay Cutler here. It's not a common thing by any means (and I'm not suggesting Lock will become this) but Drew Brees was benched for Doug Flutie and then they drafted Eli Manning (became Phillip Rivers) to replace him. He worked hard and became a great player that season, and he's an all-time great.
                            Mike Klis? Meh. That guy's full of it half of the time. I'm not saying Lock isn't doing something, though. I have no idea, but he's been very quiet even when his teammates are making a lot of noise.

He'd better take it personally, because his issue is a product of his lack of performance with is affected by his character. I hope he saves that Buzz Lightyear and dancing garbage for the day he has a couple of SB wins under his belt, and not after a couple of good games or a good drives. He's played 18 games, and been on the team for two seasons. By half way in this upcoming season if I don't see him resolve his issues, I'll start calling him a bust.

Comment

• Originally posted by DiveInstructor View Post

See what you just started in Broncos country?

That is an oldie but a really goodie....I will probably use it again and again. Good one!

Comment

• Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
                                I don't care what side of the Lock fence you're on, nobody can make an argument that Lock is a better option than Watson. The deal with Watson is no guarantee and the odds are that Denver stays with Lock. I will absolutely support Lock if Paton doesn't get a deal done on the Watson front. His leash will be very short by all fans but I won't come out booing.

Offcause it is a valid argument that Lock is a better option. We are not talking a Watson for Lock trade where Houston keeps paying for Deshaun Watsons contract and we keep paying for Locks'.
                                We are talking is Lock better than DWatson - 35million/year for FAs, 3 first round draft picks, some talking that they are willing to also give 3 2nd rounders + players.
                                The whole DW talk is insane. Never in NFL history has a deal like that made a team in the Broncos situation better.

In the 5 year reuion show of the No Fly Zone Bradley Roby really confirms why I don't want us getting Deshaun Watson - https://youtu.be/AAqvBefZQH0?t=701
                                It is just not worth persuing a guy that has star status and cannot bring a team together. It is blatently absurd that you have bickering, infighting and blamegames going on.
                                The QB is far and away the most important player on a team and it is his primary responsibility to make sure that the team functions. Sure other plays roles, but thy are not even close in influence and importance.

Everything I hated about Jay Cutler fits with DW on top of a contract that will hamper the team for years, and a player that deliver empty stats and not wins.

I will much rather have a 5 win season with Lock on a rookie contract than selling the future to go 6-10 with a QB that will skip at the first sign of adversity. It is nice for young guys to go partying, but it does not work in a place where ex. John Fox tells that they had to hire an extra coach for Peyton because he was not satisfied with only analysing 6 games per week, but wanted to know all relevant details from all game played. There is just so far from physical talent to the excellence that is needed to bring the SBs.

Do anyone really think that Texans would have a disintegrated locker room and have missed the playoffs if Tom Brady had gone there instead of Tampa?

I am not high on Lock but I do not want to trade for DW at all!

Comment

Working...
                                X