No announcement yet.

Drew Lock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfortunately for Lock many people seem to think we live in a cookie cutter world.

We don’t know how things would have gone if he had a normal offseason and preseason.

Just because other young quarterbacks were able to have some success it doesn’t mean Lock wasn’t affected by the abnormal year.

He still hasn’t played 30 games. He still needs to be evaluated.

It’s too early to make a definitive conclusion about him.
    Last edited by broncolee; 03-01-2021, 10:09 AM.
    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
    You Mad Bro?
    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

• Originally posted by broncolee View Post
      Unfortunately for Lock many people seem to think we live in a cookie cutter world.

We don’t know how things would have gone if he had a normal offseason and preseason.

Just because other young quarterbacks were able to have some success it doesn’t mean Lock was affected by the abnormal year.

In agreement 100%. How would we all feel if, huge if, the Broncos did trade him and in a year or two Lock took off like a rocket having superb success with his new team. The "get rid of Lock" members in this forum would be eating truck loads of CROW for many years. And what if, another huge if, Lock was to achieve a Super Bowl win with his new team in 1-3 years? Holy you know what!!!!
      Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

In agreement 100%. How would we all feel if, huge if, the Broncos did trade him and in a year or two Lock took off like a rocket having superb success with his new team. The "get rid of Lock" members in this forum would be eating truck loads of CROW for many years. And what if, another huge if, Lock was to achieve a Super Bowl win with his new team in 1-3 years? Holy you know what!!!!
        10 characters

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

There's always that possibility. That's the complicated aspect of doing business, investing, and so on. For me it comes down to doing your diligence, having your open minded discussions and really exhausting the pro/con exercises. At decision point, you try your best to move forward, knowing full well there is a chance that you decided incorrectly. But for me, life is about a gazillion (been a while since I used that one!) of small to large decisions we make. IF we come out ahead on the majority, we are likely doing very well. Yes, some individual decisions may be worth thousands of others in terms of need to get right. But overall, a person who is often right, is often rewarded.

Back to Lock and associated discussion....there is also a price of not making change, though it is even harder to assess. But in this case, if Watson is available, and the deal is within reason, a team like ours must do all the due diligence, and have all the discussions, and be totally open minded about the pros and cons...and if the deal looks better than status quo, you should start the engine, and only look ahead.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

There's always that possibility. That's the complicated aspect of doing business, investing, and so on. For me it comes down to doing your diligence, having your open minded discussions and really exhausting the pro/con exercises. At decision point, you try your best to move forward, knowing full well there is a chance that you decided incorrectly. But for me, life is about a gazillion (been a while since I used that one!) of small to large decisions we make. IF we come out ahead on the majority, we are likely doing very well. Yes, some individual decisions may be worth thousands of others in terms of need to get right. But overall, a person who is often right, is often rewarded.

Back to Lock and associated discussion....there is also a price of not making change, though it is even harder to assess. But in this case, if Watson is available, and the deal is within reason, a team like ours must do all the due diligence, and have all the discussions, and be totally open minded about the pros and cons...and if the deal looks better than status quo, you should start the engine, and only look ahead.
            Exactly. Paton was brought in to build a contender. If he is not kicking the tires on anyone that can improve this team, he is not earning his money. He has to inquire and the worst they can say is no. Same with Russell Wilson.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post

Exactly. Paton was brought in to build a contender. If he is not kicking the tires on anyone that can improve this team, he is not earning his money. He has to inquire and the worst they can say is no. Same with Russell Wilson.
              Yes....Wilson too!

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

I used to use the word "gazillion" or a variation of it back in the days when my wife and I used the same tube of tooth paste. "Honey, today is the "gazillonth" time this month that you left the cap off the tube of tooth paste."

I get what you're saying Can. Putting together a winning team (coaches, management too) with the quality needed for sustained success might be one of the hardest and most frustrating things to achieve in all sports. That's why when it happens, we all get to enjoy the huge parades with players on floats and lots of confetti.

And lets not forget, lots of
                Last edited by jazzbodog; 03-02-2021, 07:17 AM.
                Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

• Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
                  I'm just glad I no longer have to see Brady or Mahomes win another SB, because they make more than 13.1% of their team's cap from now on.

It's funny to me. The Broncos were 32nd in turnovers (18 by Lock in 13 games, 4 by Rypien in 2 games, 2 by Driskel in 2 games), and the Texans were 9th in turnovers (10 by Watson in 16 games). Yet somehow, the Broncos are as trash as the Texans are, because they only won 1 more game than the Texans did.
                  Except in tune with the reason Tom Brady is the best ever and QBs that like money and individual praise more than winning are sitting at home watching SuperBowls.

It is quite amazing that Brady was playing for keeps even when he was a young lad that did not have generous 1st round salary or 3rd round for that matter.
                  https://youtu.be/7_ia8KDaI1c?t=294

No one outside Dove Valley knows if Drew Lock has the smarts to be a top 10 QB - he has the body.
                  Does he have the dicipline and the raw will to do everything. I am really missing the mentality that Elway and Tebow had especially - the stop at nothing that also defines Tom Brady.
                  We need Lock to make us all shut up, and while I am sceptical, the difference from where he was last year and the hopes for this boils down to 3-4 good decisions/throws per game and that is doable!

Comment

Unfortunately for Lock many people seem to think we live in a cookie cutter world.

Just because other young quarterbacks were able to have some success it doesn’t mean Lock wasn’t affected by the abnormal year.

I think those people (whether it's he's definitely going to fail or he's definitely going to succeed) are few. Most of us just have difference in opinion on what the chances are he'll turn into a very good QB (like franchise/HOF kinda guy). What diluted my confidence in him turning that corner is that one of his problems is really bad throwing mechanics that he falls back on. When many of us react, we rely on whatever habits we've developed, as opposed to what we try to train ourselves to do. I'm afraid Lock's too accustomed to hucking the ball improperly when he's on the run or under pressure, and that he'll keep doing that. I know he's not as bad as Tebow was, but I remember going to pre-season games where Tebow would come out early practicing his throwing mechanics. He looked fine during practice, but in the game, all of that went away and he'd fall back on how he normally threw the ball..

Yes, time might tell, if Lock gets the development time and the time in games. Might. I just think the odds are against him.

Comment

• I would think that those who are ok with giving Lock another year would be pounding the table for Lance.
                      One is a 25 year old- 4 year starter in college- going into his 3rd NFL season. The other is 20 years old and started one season in college.

Potential is what we are banking on with Lock is it not?
                      I'm ok with seeing that potential through if Paton wants to get a good feel for him, but if we do we would be wise to have another option.

It has been years- maybe even as many as 10 since Drew Lock was in a real competition. As a local kid he was recruited to start and every game he has been healthy enough in Denver he has been given the start. I'm not sure we ever see him change his ways or his bad habits as long as there is no consequences. I don't think a vet like Dalton, Fitz, etc bring any real consequences, just a hollow threat of not finishing a game.

​​​​​
                      Last edited by atwaterandstir; 03-02-2021, 07:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by atwaterandstir View Post
                        I would think that those who ok with giving Lock another year would be pounding the table for Lance.
                        One is a 25 year old- 4 year starter in college- going into his 3rd NFL season. The other is 20 years old and started one season in college.

Potential is what we are banking on with Lock is it not?
                        I'm ok with seeing that potential through if Paton wants to get a good feel for him, but if we do we would be wise to have another option.

It has been years- maybe even as many as 10 since Drew Lock was in a real competition. As a local kid he was recruited to start and every game he has been healthy enough in Denver he has been given the start. I'm not sure we ever see him change his ways or his bad habits as long as there is no consequences. I don't think a vet like Dalton, Fitz, etc bring any real consequences, just a hollow threat of not finishing a game.

​​​​​
                        I would love to see Alex Smith here to show Lock how to be professional, bring a knowledge of the Chiefs and the innate ability to bring wins.
                        Lock should have the ability to be a great starter - but mentally he seem to need a kick in a certain place.

Comment

• Originally posted by DiveInstructor

Eh, ain't that bad. You want misery? Go watch CSPAN. LOL

Back to Lock....haven't heard hardly anything from the guy. You hear any statements from him? I'd have thought by now the media would be all over him.
                          I don’t think players have media obligations at this time of year.

It’s pretty easy for him to keep out of sight.
                          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                          You Mad Bro?
                          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

I don’t think players have media obligations at this time of year.

It’s pretty easy for him to keep out of sight.
                            Hmm...smart guy. Even though I'm banging the drum for a QB option, I'd totally dig it if he just started kicking butt when he returned. Not necessarily doing great right away, but showing he's been working hard at cleaning things up. I think it'll be a long time before he gets rid of that bad footwork thing, but maybe he'll learn to just throw it out of bounds or run to the sideline instead of trying to make the big play, for now.

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post

I would love to see Alex Smith here to show Lock how to be professional, bring a knowledge of the Chiefs and the innate ability to bring wins.
                              Lock should have the ability to be a great starter - but mentally he seem to need a kick in a certain place.
                              The problem here is Lock is beginning his 3rd season. As a 2nd rd pick that means we will likely need to begin the contract extension/negotiations very soon (likely this season). We need to know asap if there is something worth chasing. I feel the best way to find that out is bring in another young QB and let's see who is the competitor. Drew Lock may blow the competition out of the water for all we know. This is probably the first time since high school that he is at risk of truly losing his job. It may be the kick in the pants we were hoping was coming in year 2.

An injury to Lock or a vet coming in and playing well could put us in a very bad position going into contract year 4. Right now he's playing like a backup but we are paying him as such. I would love to have a guy like Lance come in and compete and have that 5th year option. In 5 years Lance will be the age Lock is right now. If Lock still has potential at 25 then Lance has it in spades.

Comment

• Originally posted by DiveInstructor

Eh, ain't that bad. You want misery? Go watch CSPAN. LOL

Back to Lock....haven't heard hardly anything from the guy. You hear any statements from him? I'd have thought by now the media would be all over him.
                                Maybe the media has strongly attempted to push for Locks thoughts but he just might be one of those "very rare" athletes that knows better to remain quite with statements knowing he might be condemned / criticized no matter what he says. So, he chooses to remain silent until something significant happens. How many athletes these days won't but should keep their mouths shut to not end up in ugly or confusing controversy?

I believe Lock should stay quite even if he knows something more than people outside the organization know. Totally in his best interest, IMO.
                                And....TIME WILL TELL! what' going to happen next.
                                Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Working...
                                X