Drew Lock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DiveInstructor View Post

Hmm...smart guy. Even though I'm banging the drum for a QB option, I'd totally dig it if he just started kicking butt when he returned. Not necessarily doing great right away, but showing he's been working hard at cleaning things up. I think it'll be a long time before he gets rid of that bad footwork thing, but maybe he'll learn to just throw it out of bounds or run to the sideline instead of trying to make the big play, for now.
    Agreed.
    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
    You Mad Bro?
    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

• Originally posted by DiveInstructor

Eh, ain't that bad. You want misery? Go watch CSPAN. LOL

Back to Lock....haven't heard hardly anything from the guy. You hear any statements from him? I'd have thought by now the media would be all over him.
      I always feel for guys like Lock in these situations. Everyone talking about your future, in this case, a lot of negativity, and nothing you can do about it. It's bad enough when folks are not performing well in life, but these guys have to deal with all the noise, whereas most of us never have to. I know, part of the deal. But sometimes the deal in big time sports/entertainment is not so sweet.

Hopefully he, like most others, goes about his business like all is normal, so that it does not impact his play...UNLESS of course it gives more motivation to excel!!

In times like this I keep thinking about Alex Smith, who always seems under appreciated to me....and then makes a monumental comeback only to know that his team does not really care too much for services. He's a bigger man than I.

Comment

• I still want to give Lock one more year. We are from competing for a championship

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post

I always feel for guys like Lock in these situations. Everyone talking about your future, in this case, a lot of negativity, and nothing you can do about it. It's bad enough when folks are not performing well in life, but these guys have to deal with all the noise, whereas most of us never have to. I know, part of the deal. But sometimes the deal in big time sports/entertainment is not so sweet.

Hopefully he, like most others, goes about his business like all is normal, so that it does not impact his play...UNLESS of course it gives more motivation to excel!!

In times like this I keep thinking about Alex Smith, who always seems under appreciated to me....and then makes a monumental comeback only to know that his team does not really care too much for services. He's a bigger man than I.
          I'd think the really smart thing would be just to stay 100% away from social media and any media related sources. Maybe even spend a bit of money to have your manager filter everything, 'cause for whatever reason, everything on the internet is a candidate for being taken seriously. I'd guess that a young man in the NFL is probably thinner skinned than an old, unknown fart like me.

Comment

• You are never as good as they tell or you or as awful as they try to make you out to be. That is how praise and criticism probably needs to be taken. For what it is worth I wish Lock well, because I still think he gets a chance to start next year for Denver. I may not believe that is our best option, but I don't cheer against the Broncos or enjoy them losing, ever.

Comment

• I read this from SI,

“I did a deep drive on Drew," Paton said on Thursday. "Like I said in my [introductory] press conference, [he’s] very talented. He was inconsistent at times and has a lot to work on, but I’ve spoken with Drew. I see him every day. He’s here early and he’s working."

(Is he trying to make him sound more "Trade able"????

​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt. Jack View Post
                I read this from SI,

“I did a deep drive on Drew," Paton said on Thursday. "Like I said in my [introductory] press conference, [he’s] very talented. He was inconsistent at times and has a lot to work on, but I’ve spoken with Drew. I see him every day. He’s here early and he’s working."

​​​​​​
                Or is Paton simply stating that he thinks Lock can be the starter if he continues to work? Does there have to be some secret context?

I’m encouraged to hear that Paton sees him working and talks to him frequently. May be the first report of anything about Lock. Young man has talent. Also needs the work on his footwork (root cause of his inaccuracies IMO) and his decision making ( too often chose the wrong receiver) to make a jump this year. Inconsistent describes him best. Can he become more efficient?

IMO they should hold the course with him. I understand and would not be disappointed if they made a major move for a special QB. But those are limited and expensive options. I’m intrigued by the Smith discussion if Smith can accept that the “ competition” likely has an edge in Locks favor. Would Smith be happy to be the backup/ mentor or looking for a bigger role?

Same with Lock’s mindset. Can he win the job? Can he excel when pressured? Can he accept and learn from the advice of an experienced vet in the room? He has not had that yet, possibly the next step of his evolution?

Comment

• I think it would be good to bring in a veteran quarterback for a backup to Drew Lock. Someone that, if Drew did get hurt could step in and win some games.
                  I think we are committed to Drew Lock, but you never know what goes on?

Comment

I think it would be good to bring in a veteran quarterback for a backup to Drew Lock. Someone that, if Drew did get hurt could step in and win some games.
                    I think we are committed to Drew Lock, but you never know what goes on?
                    For me it is more then just a quality back up to compete or win games. It's about giving a young QB someone to teach him how to be a professional QB. The preparation, attitude, leadership and resiliency to take on the pressures of being the starting QB in the NFL. Most good young QBs have a professional vet QB in the room with them that helps them succeed.

It is more then what a coach can provide. It is the experience and successes and failures that they are sharing all the time. A peer that had to learn on the job as Lock is trying to do. A QB that has played multiple seasons and games. So far Lock has had no mentorship with other inexperienced QBs in the room. A QB like Fitzpatrick or Smith type would be huge.

If the Broncos choose to stick with Lock I hope a "mentor" back up QB is part of the plan. IMO it would be invaluable to his development. Also a solid back up plan if Lock gets injured or can't live up to the expectations.

Comment

I read this from SI,

​​​​​​
                      He is saying what he has to say with the knowledge he has considering so many media people are going to write/talk about....what did he mean? Then try to make assumptions based on what he says.

That is what most coach/team exec talk is now a days.
                      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

I read this from SI,

​​​​​​
                        I think this is wise on Paton's part...to show some confidence in Lock, while making it clear (in other ways) that Drew is not a "lock" as the starter. Had we just went about our business this offseason and gave Drew the keys to the Mercedes, maybe he does not take it quite as seriously, though that's just a consideration. Maybe Drew needs to mature a little, as a player and as a leader. If he fights for the job, and shows drive and determination, he will be better for it. He may even be the long term starter.

Comment

I think this is wise on Paton's part...to show some confidence in Lock, while making it clear (in other ways) that Drew is not a "lock" as the starter. Had we just went about our business this offseason and gave Drew the keys to the Mercedes, maybe he does not take it quite as seriously, though that's just a consideration. Maybe Drew needs to mature a little, as a player and as a leader. If he fights for the job, and shows drive and determination, he will be better for it. He may even be the long term starter.
                          Good post! I agree with what you're saying. But,,,, I just don't think it's a Mercedes or a Ferrari or any high-performance sports car ( At this point, someday soon hopefully, we gotta score some points first).

I'm not even sure it's a Mustang or a Charger. Maybe more like a Nissan Maxima Toyota Camry, maybe A Ford Fusion, Knot sure?

Comment

Good post! I agree with what you're saying. But,,,, I just don't think it's a Mercedes or a Ferrari or any high-performance sports car ( At this point, someday soon hopefully, we gotta score some points first).

I'm not even sure it's a Mustang or a Charger. Maybe more like a Nissan Maxima Toyota Camry, maybe A Ford Fusion, Knot sure?

Yeah....I went for a special car, but you are so right, based on points scored, maybe we're talking a Chevy Spark....
                            Last edited by CanDB; 03-06-2021, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Yeah....I went for a special car, but you are so right, based on points scored, maybe we're talking scooter...
                              I was going to say maybe a Dodge Caravan?
                              Useful, practical, somewhat functional, just not real sporty or high performance.

Comment

• Originally posted by FR Tim View Post

Or is Paton simply stating that he thinks Lock can be the starter if he continues to work? Does there have to be some secret context?

I’m encouraged to hear that Paton sees him working and talks to him frequently. May be the first report of anything about Lock. Young man has talent. Also needs the work on his footwork (root cause of his inaccuracies IMO) and his decision making ( too often chose the wrong receiver) to make a jump this year. Inconsistent describes him best. Can he become more efficient?

IMO they should hold the course with him. I understand and would not be disappointed if they made a major move for a special QB. But those are limited and expensive options. I’m intrigued by the Smith discussion if Smith can accept that the “ competition” likely has an edge in Locks favor. Would Smith be happy to be the backup/ mentor or looking for a bigger role?

Same with Lock’s mindset. Can he win the job? Can he excel when pressured? Can he accept and learn from the advice of an experienced vet in the room? He has not had that yet, possibly the next step of his evolution?
                                The thing is with Lock, he really isn’t that far off from being a really good QB. Probably about 95% of everything bad that he does all stems from his footwork. Tim Jenkins has pointed it out ad nauseum over the course of the season, but it’s true. That isn’t to say he can’t be good by keeping his right foot back (Watson, Rodgers, even Brady this past season did it) vs his left which is how you’re typically coached, Lock just has to make a more concerted effort to drive that left foot back instead of taking this little half step with either foot to balance himself and then getting into his drop. That little half step throws off everything. It makes him late on throws, he starts to feel pressure quicker because of it, sometimes his feet never get into the cadence of the play and it causes him to throw with a funky base or weird foot placement.

There were flashes last season where he would eliminate that issue and he’d look great, but it just isn’t committed to muscle memory yet and it created these maddening inconsistencies that we saw throughout the season. Too often he was adding an extra step to his drop, 3 step drops would become 4 and so on. When in reality he just needs to look at it as, this is a 3 step drop and I’m already at 1 before the ball is even snapped so it’s really a 2 step drop. Now that could also bring on a whole new set of problems because now instead of being late he’d be early, but I’d rather him be early and have an extra second to read the defense than have him be a second late and let the defense read him.

It seems so small, but 1-2 seconds is a lifetime for defensive players in the NFL. That’s why QBs with long wind ups don’t last, that’s why QBs who don’t have strong arms have to be so much smarter than everyone else on the field. They have to make up for 1-2 extra seconds so the defense can’t react.

Edit: And I feel I should mention that his rookie season, this issue wasn’t nearly as pronounced because his footwork wasn’t really a thing. He would just kind of shuffle (not a great word to describe it) to his spot and set up shop there. It was almost like he was being coached to just get to a spot and not worry about how many steps there were in the drop. And even though his numbers weren’t great, he wasn’t nearly as turnover prone. But in Shurmur’s offense his footwork has to be tied to the route design because so much of the offense is dependent on the timing between the QB and his targets.
                                Last edited by beastlyskronk; 03-06-2021, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X